Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 pm This is almost as bad as the goalie warm-up discussion - Harry will get in to the HOF - one of the few people not worried about it is Harry. As a tangenital question, mine is how the #2 and #5 career assist leaders and the tied for #7 and #9 all time point leaders (both over 200 points which only 11 Hopkins players have ever acheived) are not on the all-time Hopkisn team? That seems beyond comprehension.

I would like to recognize Chi and MDlax for very informative/reasoned posts - the best of what Laxpower/Fanlax has to offer. My final summation -no one I think is suggesting goalie warm-ups is not important and significant. I think what some clear thinking indoviduals are trying to point out are the following:
- Discussing goalie warm ups in connection with fall scrimmages is not missing the forest for the trees it's missing the universe without regards to the galaxies
- The same guy who warmed up the goalies on Saturday also warmed up the goalies last season to the tiune of a 45%ish save percentage - not that has anything to do with the price of gas
- No one is questioning Junior's seriousness or approach to the topic
- You don't need generational talent (like Cowan's or Junior's) to warm-up a goalie. Seth Tierney and Bob Benson both warmed up the same goalie and won 'ships
- The most important thing is the approach and following the system to give your goalie the most confidence and the best chance for success - that doesn''t mean - in today's world - setting him up for EVERYTHING he might see in a game. Otherwise you would choose Mac O'Keefe to warm up your goalie and after 5 minutes the goalie would be Custard the Dragon cryin for a nice safe cage
I tend to agree that this is very likely a non-issue in terms of any sort of critique (based on who is warming up Hop tenders for a fall scrimmage)

On the other hand, it's the offseason, and better than cat pictures or helmet decals! ;)
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

This thread
DocBarrister

Re: Question—Sports Psychologist Next to Goalie During Game

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:04 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Chitown wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am I know in my heart that I should NOT venture into this topic, BUT I had 3 coaches at JHU (Coach Fewster, Chic & Scotty), all of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Another Coach, Ace Adams, got me my first and only coaching gig.

Here is what I learned: Most goalies need cat-like reflexes (if they start thinking too much, it can be disastrous), most goalies are "head-cases" (if they lose confidence, you are screwed) and need to be treated carefully, and warm-ups are done pursuant to a developed system and with precision: starting with slow outside bounce shots and working inward towards the Goalie. A player is NEVER given the job to warm-up a Goalie. Warming up a Goalie needs someone with experience. Chic or Scotty warmed up our Goalies. No one else.

We always had good goalies, surrounded by good defensemen and good defensive middies.

I have no other comments and nothing else to say.
Indeed, this is what makes this thread fun to participate on.

I've mentioned my credentials plenty, 3 generations of tenders, all at a high level, son is particularly analytical and has coached a bunch of D1 and D3 tenders. It's fair to say that years and years of watching goalies, including their warm-ups, as well as experiencing thousands of same ourselves, we'd have an opinion on this topic.

Chitown's post is right on, though I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "never" on a warm up from a non coach. But I'd never do it game day with my starter nor #1 back-up. It would be a rare that I wouldn't have one of the coaches, or me, do any warm-up as it needs to be someone fully trained to do so.

Warm-ups, most especially game day, must be highly intentional. They have a rhythm that is designed to build and maintain confidence, as well as sharpness of eye, warmth of body movement. They are not a new teaching opportunity, other than perhaps being conscious of field conditions, and perhaps reminders about opponent shooting tendencies, etc (though that should have been adequately drilled the day prior), so a simple reminder would suffice.

Heavy heat on game day should only be applied after the tender is well warm and sharp. The objective of such is solely about feeling confident that the heat is no big deal to handle. The shooter's objective should NEVER be to score repeatedly, but rather solely in working the tender to be relaxed and smooth in their movements, all of which have been drilled and drilled and drilled previously.

Again, game day warm ups, pre-game and at half-time, are all about being warm and confident, the latter being the #1 objective. Attitude is essential. The tender should leave the warm-up, smiling, confident, loose and eager to take on the opponent.

Personally, I never felt fully great until I'd taken a shot or two to the chest or leg and got that adrenaline jolt in response to a bit of 'pain'.

Now, whether the shooting coach is someone who can bring truly high heat or not is far less important than the seriousness of the approach to the exercise. The head coach or the dedicated goalie coach or whatever coach needs to be very, very serious about this task. The goalie corps will respect and appreciate that seriousness as well. And they'll respond in kind.

If that primary coach cannot himself bring the very high heat, a good drill in pregame is two shooters at top line, fed by one or two of the other goalies behind the goal. For this drill, a coach or player with a hard shot can be involved, though under the close management of the coach. The shooter needs to recognize that the objective is to show high heat, not to score repeatedly. Just do enough to build confidence versus heat.

Now, that's all game-day. Other kinds of intensive work during the week and off season involve all kinds of other work, putting various sorts of challenges in front of the tenders to conquer.

Again, all of that, too, needs to be highly intentional.
The process of training skills, refining technique, etc, and the building of confidence is not a one day process!
But it can be fouled up by poor game day management.

On the reputation re 'head case' of tenders, I think that all players benefit from serious attention to game-day process, confidence in one's preparation, confidence in one's team mates. Great coaching respects this reality and manages it proactively.

That said, perhaps more than any other position, goalie play is impacted more by the state of mind achieved than raw physical ability, though again, all player positions are impacted by mental state. But the goalie faces much more "failure" than any other position, rivaled only by the FOGO. And the differential between success and failure is not a matter of a burst of 'effort' signaled by a whistle but rather relaxation and focus in the moments of highest stress. Again and again and again.

Somehow, the goalie needs to truly believe that whatever may have just occurred during the game, he is fully capable of making the next save no matter how terrific the next shot may be. It's not 'cockiness' but rather well-informed deep down confidence than enables such resilience. And that's extremely difficult to achieve, or to maintain, if the 'voices' around one at practice, off the field, in one's head, are saying something different. There's always going to be negative voices, but they needn't be the most important.

So, the environment that coaches build is crucial to at least provide the opportunity for such confidence to be built in each tender on the roster.

Of course, that may not be enough...it also depends on the tender having the emotional resiliency to go through adversity and come out all the more competitively driven. Very hard to measure, but I think it's quite crucial. (Corollary: I think it's particularly difficult to predict such resiliency when the kid is being recruited as a freshman/sophomore given early success based on 'athleticism').

I don't know whether Grant Jr's involvement is because of his shooting ability (I rather doubt it) but I'd take it as a potential signal of seriousness. But the real question is the actual seriousness of approach, not necessarily which coach is assigned.

Nor do I have an opinion re Benson.

I am, however, confident that Joe Cowan would have taken the task quite seriously. ;)
But I'm not so sure that Joe's involvement in warm-ups wasn't a finish up from Scott or Chic, giving the tender some looks once warmed up...I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him!
Great stuff, chitown and MD. Thanks! :)

Quick question, MD (and chitown, feel free to comment as well) … based on what you wrote, should the NCAA change the rules to require a sports psychologist to stand next to each goalie throughout the game? Seems like goalies have a lot of “issues” to deal with. A small circle could be drawn next to the cage on either side … an exclusion zone where the sports psychologist can stand during the game and counsel the goalie as the contest progresses. The counseling would be especially helpful after the goalie gives up a goal. The sports psychologist would wear protective gear and a one-minute unreleasable penalty would be assessed for violating the exclusion circle. Would welcome your thoughts.

I’m glad you raised these issues. As we know, mental health is just as important as physical health.

Thanks again, fellas, for the invaluable insight.

DocBarrister :)
Obviously you're joking.
(Though we do joke in our family about having "a screw loose" when people remark on our having all been tenders.)

Indeed, as I argued, the goalie's own emotional resilience, the ability to come through adversity and be all the more competitively committed is a key factor to sustained goalie success.

Coaches can create an environment that encourages an optimal state of mind...or not.

My point was not about 'mental health' but rather optimal state of mind, something great coaches proactively manage for all the players, and the team as a whole. It's simply all the more important for tenders as the differential between great play and good play...good or poor play is much more state of mind than physical ability and training, come game day. But it's true for other athletes as well.

As to sports psychologists, I think having a sports psychologist working with coaches is a very good idea, helping them understand how they can positively or negatively impact their players. IMO, there's a lot of coaching behavior that can be counterproductive.

I also think that sports psychologists can very positively impact an individual player's mental preparation process. Lots of elite athletes do use such from time to time, or on an ongoing basis. I think some exposure to psychological principles is quite worthwhile for athletes aspiring to perform at an elite level...and your competition is do so...

And I also think that having someone available outside of the coaching staff available to turn to for a kid having really bad emotional problems, depression, anxiety etc would be worthwhile. Hopefully the necessity to tap that resource would be rare, but we know that there are tragic stories.

BTW, I'm neither a sports psychologist, married to one, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night...just an opinion.
Well, I’m glad you didn’t stay in a Holiday Inn. ;)

All kidding aside, I do think it’s worthwhile to consider how stressful this “game” can be, especially for certain positions. “Optimal state of mind” and mental health are all part of one continuous spectrum.

And for those who asked … no, hitting the sports psychologist with a shot would not reset the shot clock.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Re: Question—Sports Psychologist Next to Goalie During Game

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:41 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:04 am
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:27 pm
Chitown wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am I know in my heart that I should NOT venture into this topic, BUT I had 3 coaches at JHU (Coach Fewster, Chic & Scotty), all of whom are in the Hall of Fame. Another Coach, Ace Adams, got me my first and only coaching gig.

Here is what I learned: Most goalies need cat-like reflexes (if they start thinking too much, it can be disastrous), most goalies are "head-cases" (if they lose confidence, you are screwed) and need to be treated carefully, and warm-ups are done pursuant to a developed system and with precision: starting with slow outside bounce shots and working inward towards the Goalie. A player is NEVER given the job to warm-up a Goalie. Warming up a Goalie needs someone with experience. Chic or Scotty warmed up our Goalies. No one else.

We always had good goalies, surrounded by good defensemen and good defensive middies.

I have no other comments and nothing else to say.
Indeed, this is what makes this thread fun to participate on.

I've mentioned my credentials plenty, 3 generations of tenders, all at a high level, son is particularly analytical and has coached a bunch of D1 and D3 tenders. It's fair to say that years and years of watching goalies, including their warm-ups, as well as experiencing thousands of same ourselves, we'd have an opinion on this topic.

Chitown's post is right on, though I don't know that I'd go so far as to say "never" on a warm up from a non coach. But I'd never do it game day with my starter nor #1 back-up. It would be a rare that I wouldn't have one of the coaches, or me, do any warm-up as it needs to be someone fully trained to do so.

Warm-ups, most especially game day, must be highly intentional. They have a rhythm that is designed to build and maintain confidence, as well as sharpness of eye, warmth of body movement. They are not a new teaching opportunity, other than perhaps being conscious of field conditions, and perhaps reminders about opponent shooting tendencies, etc (though that should have been adequately drilled the day prior), so a simple reminder would suffice.

Heavy heat on game day should only be applied after the tender is well warm and sharp. The objective of such is solely about feeling confident that the heat is no big deal to handle. The shooter's objective should NEVER be to score repeatedly, but rather solely in working the tender to be relaxed and smooth in their movements, all of which have been drilled and drilled and drilled previously.

Again, game day warm ups, pre-game and at half-time, are all about being warm and confident, the latter being the #1 objective. Attitude is essential. The tender should leave the warm-up, smiling, confident, loose and eager to take on the opponent.

Personally, I never felt fully great until I'd taken a shot or two to the chest or leg and got that adrenaline jolt in response to a bit of 'pain'.

Now, whether the shooting coach is someone who can bring truly high heat or not is far less important than the seriousness of the approach to the exercise. The head coach or the dedicated goalie coach or whatever coach needs to be very, very serious about this task. The goalie corps will respect and appreciate that seriousness as well. And they'll respond in kind.

If that primary coach cannot himself bring the very high heat, a good drill in pregame is two shooters at top line, fed by one or two of the other goalies behind the goal. For this drill, a coach or player with a hard shot can be involved, though under the close management of the coach. The shooter needs to recognize that the objective is to show high heat, not to score repeatedly. Just do enough to build confidence versus heat.

Now, that's all game-day. Other kinds of intensive work during the week and off season involve all kinds of other work, putting various sorts of challenges in front of the tenders to conquer.

Again, all of that, too, needs to be highly intentional.
The process of training skills, refining technique, etc, and the building of confidence is not a one day process!
But it can be fouled up by poor game day management.

On the reputation re 'head case' of tenders, I think that all players benefit from serious attention to game-day process, confidence in one's preparation, confidence in one's team mates. Great coaching respects this reality and manages it proactively.

That said, perhaps more than any other position, goalie play is impacted more by the state of mind achieved than raw physical ability, though again, all player positions are impacted by mental state. But the goalie faces much more "failure" than any other position, rivaled only by the FOGO. And the differential between success and failure is not a matter of a burst of 'effort' signaled by a whistle but rather relaxation and focus in the moments of highest stress. Again and again and again.

Somehow, the goalie needs to truly believe that whatever may have just occurred during the game, he is fully capable of making the next save no matter how terrific the next shot may be. It's not 'cockiness' but rather well-informed deep down confidence than enables such resilience. And that's extremely difficult to achieve, or to maintain, if the 'voices' around one at practice, off the field, in one's head, are saying something different. There's always going to be negative voices, but they needn't be the most important.

So, the environment that coaches build is crucial to at least provide the opportunity for such confidence to be built in each tender on the roster.

Of course, that may not be enough...it also depends on the tender having the emotional resiliency to go through adversity and come out all the more competitively driven. Very hard to measure, but I think it's quite crucial. (Corollary: I think it's particularly difficult to predict such resiliency when the kid is being recruited as a freshman/sophomore given early success based on 'athleticism').

I don't know whether Grant Jr's involvement is because of his shooting ability (I rather doubt it) but I'd take it as a potential signal of seriousness. But the real question is the actual seriousness of approach, not necessarily which coach is assigned.

Nor do I have an opinion re Benson.

I am, however, confident that Joe Cowan would have taken the task quite seriously. ;)
But I'm not so sure that Joe's involvement in warm-ups wasn't a finish up from Scott or Chic, giving the tender some looks once warmed up...I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him!
Great stuff, chitown and MD. Thanks! :)

Quick question, MD (and chitown, feel free to comment as well) … based on what you wrote, should the NCAA change the rules to require a sports psychologist to stand next to each goalie throughout the game? Seems like goalies have a lot of “issues” to deal with. A small circle could be drawn next to the cage on either side … an exclusion zone where the sports psychologist can stand during the game and counsel the goalie as the contest progresses. The counseling would be especially helpful after the goalie gives up a goal. The sports psychologist would wear protective gear and a one-minute unreleasable penalty would be assessed for violating the exclusion circle. Would welcome your thoughts.

I’m glad you raised these issues. As we know, mental health is just as important as physical health.

Thanks again, fellas, for the invaluable insight.

DocBarrister :)
Obviously you're joking.
(Though we do joke in our family about having "a screw loose" when people remark on our having all been tenders.)

Indeed, as I argued, the goalie's own emotional resilience, the ability to come through adversity and be all the more competitively committed is a key factor to sustained goalie success.

Coaches can create an environment that encourages an optimal state of mind...or not.

My point was not about 'mental health' but rather optimal state of mind, something great coaches proactively manage for all the players, and the team as a whole. It's simply all the more important for tenders as the differential between great play and good play...good or poor play is much more state of mind than physical ability and training, come game day. But it's true for other athletes as well.

As to sports psychologists, I think having a sports psychologist working with coaches is a very good idea, helping them understand how they can positively or negatively impact their players. IMO, there's a lot of coaching behavior that can be counterproductive.

I also think that sports psychologists can very positively impact an individual player's mental preparation process. Lots of elite athletes do use such from time to time, or on an ongoing basis. I think some exposure to psychological principles is quite worthwhile for athletes aspiring to perform at an elite level...and your competition is do so...

And I also think that having someone available outside of the coaching staff available to turn to for a kid having really bad emotional problems, depression, anxiety etc would be worthwhile. Hopefully the necessity to tap that resource would be rare, but we know that there are tragic stories.

BTW, I'm neither a sports psychologist, married to one, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last night...just an opinion.
Well, I’m glad you didn’t stay in a Holiday Inn. ;)

All kidding aside, I do think it’s worthwhile to consider how stressful this “game” can be, especially for certain positions. “Optimal state of mind” and mental health are all part of one continuous spectrum.

And for those who asked … no, hitting the sports psychologist with a shot would not reset the shot clock.

DocBarrister
I dunno that I'd say this sport, in particular, is "stressful"; not sure it's more so than any other. And I'm certainly not whining about the stress of being a tender...IMO, it's simply a matter of what one needs to excel, versus being just adequate...or not adequate. whether in a given moment, a given day, a given season, or the career...Being more conscious of this can help, as adversity is inevitable.

My experiences in other sports certainly have had their own sorts of 'stress', and where state of mind plays a big role. I'm sure others would say the same... Those moments before going on the mat mano a mano in wrestling, place rocking, trash can banging, the cat on the scale earlier looks like he's a heck of a lot stronger than you...heart thumping? Game 5 of the state doubles championship in squash, your partner depending on you? Or simply standing over the putt to win the tournament? not a good time for the yips...!

Sports psychologists do help elite level athletes in all sorts of sports. Pro tennis...pro golf...pro runners...

As I said, there's all sorts of ways coaches can foster a good environment...or not.

For instance, one coach in my son's experience had a "Fat Club" for players", requiring extra running, until they got their body fat index (measured inaccurately with calipers) down to a designated threshold...no emphasis on actual fitness, nutrition, peak performance metrics...really, really dumb...and we're not even getting to the much higher prevalence of eating disorders in college athletes than the general population...one of their best midfielders, big guy, 6'4" 230, starved himself down to the necessary fat index, but lost speed and power...and confidence...dumb coaching, IMO.

Or the college coach who told the senior FOGO who had been battling injuries all his career, including some periods of terrific success, and had just had an outstanding performance in relief of the starting FOGO, sophomore, who had been struggling for several games that "your season is over"...mid-season...because he asked to be looked to as the starter...not, "hey, we're gonna stick with Joe for now, but be ready, we trust in you to be ready when needed..."
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:18 am This thread
Been away, what did I miss?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:01 pm
Nothing.

Go back to sleep.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:51 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:01 pm
Nothing.

Go back to sleep.

DocBarrister ;)
Thanks, Doc.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some brief highlights of the Hobart scrimmage courtesy of STX. Goals by DeSo, Epstein (x2), Evans, Hicks, Grimes.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVizALvJyut/
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Until Kyle or Myles or someone with something more ro add raises the issue its moot.

BTW most Indians prefer to identify as Indian or by Tribe. Native American had a brief time in the sun when Russell Means was active but never really took off. In answer to a question Oren Lyons comes immediately to mind
molo

Post by molo »

I’m sure sports psychologists can play a meaningful role with some teams, but I’m to pump the brakes a little on the issue. For a couple of years, I was the head coach of a high team team with a psychologist as a volunteer assistant and an actively involved parent who was a consultant for Baltimore County Public Schools and who was the go to therapist for adolescent males in the area. The head coach was a school counselor who got his graduate training at UVA and Hopkins. Notwithstanding the wealth of mental health expertise, we were ok but far from great. Could have used a couple more big, fast kids with good stick skills and a better head coach.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

molo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:32 pm Could have used a couple more big, fast kids with good stick skills and a better head coach.
Nah - the answer's obvious - you didn't have an All American warming up the goalie
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Problem was that the helmets were leather, and the decals would not stick.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

You may be onto something. Must of the time, the assistant coach who coordinated the d warmed up the goalie. Once in a while he would ask me to do the warm up so the goalie could “get a look at some shots from a lefty, » but I rarely did so. Didn’t he realize as a Hopkins grad that the head coach delegated the warmup to an assistant?
One thing I learned from my father was the importance of getting a Hopkins guy on staff. I gladly took on the formerly Jay as an assistant and was happy that he took over the program when the principal deemed me expendable .
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:45 pm
molo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:32 pm Could have used a couple more big, fast kids with good stick skills and a better head coach.
Nah - the answer's obvious - you didn't have an All American warming up the goalie
:lol: to you both!

Yup, sometimes it's simply needing more talent, no argument there.
I suspect the HC was just fine...

Really not my point of course.
Talent, skills, experience do all matter a ton...10,000 reps stuff as well.

And, if I had a limited budget for "sports psychology" I'd use it in training the coaches to be their very best selves, understanding their impact on their players. Force multiplier...

But yeah, truly elite athletes know that the differential between their so-so performances and optimal is mostly in the mental preparation.

And I think that's what we talking about here.
Elite level performances.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:48 pm Problem was that the helmets were leather, and the decals would not stick.
:D
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Another ‘23 recruit: Ambidextrous Midfielder Zach Claiborne

https://www.connectlax.com/profile/ZacharyC10

https://youtu.be/Exbmq8Qwu5c
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Perusing the roster, I didn't see Darby's name on it.
Thank God.
I hope he transferred to Syracuse where he can be reunited with his former coach who loved playing him.

I don't understand all the misplaced negativity towards Tim Marcille.
He came in late season, started his first game against UMD, basically got thrown into the fire against a contender and played well.
He almost pulled off a huge upset and if he'd gotten that endline call (he was clearly closest to the ball when it went out, no geometry needed, ref needed glasses, not math) maybe he would have. His save percentage against Penn State was over 60% and against Rutgers was 55%. He got us to the BIG championship game after a 2-7 start and all people can say are his overall save % was 45 %. What an egregious misuse of stats.
Dude went up against a stacked NCAA runner up MD team twice and a loaded Rutgers team who were both averaging like 18-19 points a game with no prior game experience. It's sad and pathetic, and I mean that with all sincerity, when Blue Jay fans on this board can't give someone credit where credit is due.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 am Another ‘23 recruit: Ambidextrous Midfielder Zach Claiborne

Sheridan is really building something at Western Reserve. Could eventually overtake Culver as the program of the midwest. A school in Hudson, Ohio with 400 students has no business sending so many players to top D1 programs.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am Perusing the roster, I didn't see Darby's name on it.
Thank God.
I hope he transferred to Syracuse where he can be reunited with his former coach who loved playing him.
This is a cruel and unnecessary dig. All the more bizarre because you immediately follow it up with accusing others of having "misplaced negativity" toward another player. He graduated, has moved one and is off living his life now. You should do the same.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 am
Hoponboard wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:54 am Another ‘23 recruit: Ambidextrous Midfielder Zach Claiborne

Sheridan is really building something at Western Reserve. Could eventually overtake Culver as the program of the midwest. A school in Hudson, Ohio with 400 students has no business sending so many players to top D1 programs.
Yeah, Sheridan is a really good coach. It looks like Claiborne is originally from Chicago and reclassed from '22 to '23.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am Perusing the roster, I didn't see Darby's name on it.
Thank God.
Two things here - first I don't know about anyone else but I detect a slight aura of negativity towards a former Johns Hopkins player that tried his best and doesn't deserve such treatment. Say his save percentage was in the 40's - that would be accurate - maybe even say you don't think he played well - but "Thanking God"? Mr. Pot I would like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle.

Second - What rock have you been under for the past 3 or 4 months when there were a bajillion posts that DeSimone/Keogh /Prouty/Kirson/Shure and Lyne were the only returning players?
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:06 am He got us to the BIG championship game
Well there's an exaggeration of the highest degree. Last time I checked there were 9 other guys on the field at the same time also doing halfway decent work:
Penn State game: 15 of 31 shooting/only 13 turnovers/perfect on clears/28 ground balls (50%) despite only winning 7 face-offs
Rutgers game: Midfield scores 10 goals - Rutgers held to below season averages on shots/shots on goal percentage and shot percentage - Narewski went 18-23 fueling a 8 gb advantage

Look - EVERYONE says he played well - particularly against Rutgers - frankly against Penn State it didn't matter really - that was a total domination from beginning to end. AAND I know your post was directed towards me but go back and check - I said the following things:
- His overall save percentage in 4.5 games was 47% - his worst performance was his last - he's the best student of the game and likely the hardest worker on the team - he IS unfortunately very small 5'7" might be generous - no negativity just stating what is and what happened - I hope he goes undefeated in goal for the next two years - he is a credit to Hopkins for what kind of person and teammate he is - no matter his save percentage

He started the first half of the first scrimmage - a nod to the incumbent and possibly an indication where PM might go if all things ended out equal - but with the fall you never know
AND oh BTW - I wasn't the one who went out and got a transfer goalie with the same number of eligibility years as Marcille

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”