The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 pm Stop. Just stop. You make liquor.
:lol: The 20 year old kid working the cellar at your local brewpub "makes liquor". I can assure you, I'm an entirely different kettle of fish. But sure, ignore my perspective.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 pm You’re talking about a stupid consumer and then blaming everyone else for said consumer not asking questions about the money I spend.
Dude. Just as I'm a "stupid consumer" when it comes to financial products? You're just as ignorant when it comes to spirits. You have NO IDEA what you're buying, where it comes from, what's in the packaging, where the raw materials come from, whether or not the company is good to its workers, who the wholesaler is, who the retailer is, what their environmental footprint is and on and on and on.

You DO know that spirits sold in America don't have to list ingredients, right? So tell me: what's in Grey Goose Vodka? Can you tell me?

But sure. Try and get around this by "asking questions" at a liquor store to some bloke making $14 an hour. I'm sure they can tell you what you need to know.

This is right up there with a plumber "doing his research" when it comes to the available Covid vaccines. :lol: Please.

Perfect information doesn't exist. Maybe it did when ASmith was around.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 pm Not to mention ignoring the actual point that were all buying a bunch of unnecessary s**t.
It's the ONLY reason you have a job, my man. It's the only reason that I have a job.

So yep, Gin isn't essential. Neither is whiskey. Neither are "finance guys"....idiots like me are free to fumble in the dark, looking for a good ROI. But if you eliminate everything that "isn't essential"? We'd have 50% unemployment, or worse.

All I know is that because of me and my customers, there are hundreds (yes, hundreds) of people employed all over the planet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Moving on I didn’t start by calling out the other persons perspective as if inferior in some moral manner. Then turn around and play victim. I didn’t discount your “perspective” it’s the moral authority you waived around compared with my “sitting behind a desk in front of a computer”.

“I’ve lectured at Michigan on supply chain” this and that. Maybe you can strong arm and browbeat others but this isn’t one of those situations.

It’s the same one note tune. And yea, by a dictionary definition your view is parochial in that it doesn’t take a serious inquiry into how or why we have the situation we have and the responsibility individuals of a society have to such conditions. Thus parochial. It’s that simple and you decided to make it personal and try to reduce my point, in a conversation where you interjected as a third party like Donny at the bowling alley to state the same singular note that you’ve played continuously.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 am Moving on I didn’t start by calling out the other persons perspective as if inferior in some moral manner.
Yeah, you specifically did. Have a look. You waved your hand, told me my perspective was "parochial", and then linked two condescending South Park cartoons, as if I don't understand how supply chains work.

So yep, I returned fire. I shouldn't have....but I did. It was your condescending insult the precipated my "sitting behind a desK...." comment. My apologies for my part in lobbing insults.
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 am And yea, by a dictionary definition your view is parochial in that it doesn’t take a serious inquiry into how or why we have the situation we have and the responsibility individuals of a society have to such conditions. Thus parochial. It’s that simple
It's not even CLOSE to that simple, and I showed you why immediately. I thought we were supposed to have discussions here, and speaking of one note tunes......you keep making declarative statements (consumers have power to shape what's sold them), telling me the matter is settled, and then get upset when I tell you that you're wrong....and further discussion is needed.

To wit: Labor's role as consumers has a very ability to affect what is sold to them....and the manufactures, wholesalers, and retails make the vast majority of the economic decisions for them. Consumer's choices are further limited by geography (can't get fresh corn in Alaska, for example). Then you add in the fact that well over half the country can't make ends meet...which further limits their choices. Simple, rational, logical points here.

If we're done insulting each other? Make your point. Tell me how this view of mine is parochial. ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Been waiting for a while for this to gain traction

3-D Printed Houses Are Sprouting Near Austin as Demand for Homes Grows
Project would be biggest 3-D printed housing development in U.S.
By Nicole Friedman
Oct. 26, 2021 5:30 am ET

A major home builder is teaming with a Texas startup to create a community of 100 3-D printed homes near Austin, gearing up for what would be by far the biggest development of this type of housing in the U.S.

Lennar Corp. and construction-technology firm Icon are poised to start building next year at a site in the Austin metro area, the companies said. While Icon and others have built 3-D printed housing before, this effort will test the technology’s ability to churn out homes and generate buyer demand on a much larger scale.

“We’re sort of graduating from singles and dozens of homes to hundreds of homes,” said Jason Ballard, Icon’s chief executive.

If 3-D printing succeeds at this more ambitious level, it could offer a response to America’s chronic shortage of homes for sale, especially in the affordable price range. Mortgage-finance company Freddie Mac estimated that the national deficit of single-family homes stood at 3.8 million units at the end of 2020.

Supply-chain backlogs during the pandemic have pinched home construction, while labor shortages have hampered production for years.

“Skilled tradesmen are a dying breed,” said Eric Feder, president of LenX, Lennar’s venture-capital and innovation unit. “So there have to be alternative building solutions to help with this labor deficit.”

The vast majority of newly built single-family homes in the U.S. are constructed on-site and framed in wood using traditional construction methods.

Icon’s 3-D printed houses use concrete framing instead. Its 15.5-foot-tall printers can build the exterior and interior wall system for a 2,000-square-foot, one-story house in a week, Mr. Ballard said. The printer squeezes out concrete in layers, like toothpaste out of a tube. The machines can print curved walls, allowing for more creative house designs, he added.

Lennar will complete the houses using traditional construction methods. The week it takes Icon to print a wall system is about the same amount of time it takes to frame and drywall a home using traditional construction methods, but Lennar said it hopes it can speed up that process in the future. 3-D printed homes can also be built more cheaply, with fewer people on-site and less waste compared with typical newly built houses, Icon says.

Buyers shouldn’t necessarily count on a discount to the market’s going rate. Lennar hasn’t determined how the homes in the new community will be priced but they will be similar to other Lennar homes in the area, Mr. Feder said. The median home-sale price in the Austin metro area in September was $450,000, according to the Austin Board of Realtors.

Icon has already built 10 two-bedroom homes in Tabasco, Mexico, and seven one-bedroom tiny homes in Austin. Earlier this year, Icon built four single-family homes in Austin with developer 3Strands. Icon has raised $266 million in funding since its 2017 founding. Lennar and home builder D.R. Horton Inc. are both investors.

Trying to scale up 3-D printing technology brings new challenges. Icon’s projects have been permitted by local jurisdictions, but obtaining municipal approvals could be a challenge in new markets, since the technology is unfamiliar. Consumers might also be skeptical of the concept and some might be put off by the look of 3-D printed homes. Icon’s homes, for example, have horizontal ridges in the exterior and some interior walls from the layered printing technique.

On the other hand, buyers are likely to be attracted to homes that are built with less waste, which should translate to cost savings, said Margaret Whelan, chief executive of Whelan Advisory, a boutique investment bank for the housing industry.

In the past, Icon’s houses have been priced at a modest discount to the market rate. Its four-home project in Austin with 3Strands was its first attempt to build two-story houses, using 3-D printing for the first-floor walls while the second floors were conventionally built.

A two-bedroom house in the development was priced at $450,000 and sold for $530,000, said Gary O’Dell, chief executive of 3Strands. A four-bedroom 3-D printed home, meanwhile, sold for nearly $800,000. The homes were priced slightly below comparable houses in the area, Mr. O’Dell said.

The U.S. mortgage market involves some key players that play important roles in the process. Here’s what investors should understand and what risks they take when investing in the industry. WSJ’s Telis Demos explains. Photo: Getty Images/Martin Barraud
Other firms are also rushing to print out homes. Mighty Buildings, a construction-technology company in Oakland, Calif., said it plans to start construction on 3-D printed homes for a 15-lot community in California’s Coachella Valley next year. Preliminary demand for the community has been so strong that Palari Inc., the developer, is planning to add more lots, said Palari CEO Basil Starr.

Patchogue, N.Y.-based SQ4D Inc. is currently building a 3-D printed home in Long Island that it sold to a local family for $360,000, above the $299,999 list price, said Kristen Henry, the company’s chief technology officer.

Home-buying demand has surged during the pandemic, as buyers took advantage of low mortgage-interest rates to find more space to work from home. Home-building activity has climbed in response, with single-family housing starts up 20.5% year to date, according to Commerce Department data.

“I think 2022 is going to be a year where we are going to see a renewed emphasis on innovation,” said Robert Dietz, chief economist at the National Association of Home Builders. “Any productivity gain, any innovation, will help add that additional supply.”

Write to Nicole Friedman at [email protected]
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 am Been waiting for a while for this to gain traction

By Nicole Friedman

A major home builder is teaming with a Texas startup to create a community of 100 3-D printed homes near Austin, gearing up for what would be by far the biggest development of this type of housing in the U.S.

Just wow............Flippy* for homes.

who needs humans......we have social media and friends behind the glass.

Amsterdam.....
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Argghhhh dont you care about people who cant afford homes!!! HYPOCRITE
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Finally, a tax program that will provide work to millions of Americans with Liberal Arts Degrees!

"Senator Romney expresses concern that taxing billionaires could cause them to invest in paintings..."

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1452759787263848448

:lol:
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU88 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:14 am Finally, a tax program that will provide work to millions of Americans with Liberal Arts Degrees!

"Senator Romney expresses concern that taxing billionaires could cause them to invest in paintings..."

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1452759787263848448

:lol:
They already are, and baseball cards, etc. I’d be much more concerned about them hoarding land and other natural resources in such a scenario. If we reduced liquidity in the system there’s be less value in esoteric, illiquid assets. Of course the liquidity exists because our and other governments haven’t managed the fiscal side of the house for two generations.

I actually like going after carried interest and unrealized gains. People get taxed on non cash items all the time. Not because I think it’s fundamentally right but because we have to figure out a reset.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am A buyout boom fueled by easy money and a looming hike in the capital-gains tax is sweeping Wall Street deal making to highs not seen since before the 2008 financial crisis.
An amusing explainer on Biden's & Warren's latest scheme to tax unrealized capital gains.

no paywall => https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/10/the-zillow-tax/
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is getting more intriguing, if not borderline intentional by the power to be....Truckers and port workers are starting to speak out and blaming those in the decision making process, claiming there are plenty just waiting for more to do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/truck ... np1taskbar
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:13 am A buyout boom fueled by easy money and a looming hike in the capital-gains tax is sweeping Wall Street deal making to highs not seen since before the 2008 financial crisis.
An amusing explainer on Biden's & Warren's latest scheme to tax unrealized capital gains.

no paywall => https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/10/the-zillow-tax/
That's a headline not my words correct (that were quoted) - I maintain the sentiment about cheap and easy money (going back to Greenspan) but usually don't talk about the market like that.

I'm not a big fan of cheap, silly labeling for marketing effect, get the point. Have worries about wealth tax and in general the rules always create arbitrage so there's a workaround. It didn't work in France. But some of the concerns raised aren't a big deal - maybe having honorable audit and assurance professionals would be helpful.

"Mark to market" is not a difficult concept - what is something worth? Is it what you paid for it or is it what the market would pay for it today? MTM is the latter. It's utilized all the time, Republicans including this post modern version I am running from utilize it in their own agendas. I have concerns with application, as anyone who understands it would, but the way it's presented here is goofy. The focus on intangible assets is less of an issue but here's where wealth growth needs to be addressed - ultra high new worth (UNHW), different definitions but typically starts at $10MM liquid and investible assets outside personal residence or ownership of a business, now keep their assets working for them and are mostly illiquid because they can borrow against the assets.

The leverage on art and other esoteric assets don't drive this but borrowing against land & real estate holdings, securities portfolios, private credit and VC/PE investments is significant (along with cash surrender value of life insurance policies which is a huge tax dodge even with the "modified endowment contract" rules put in place in the 80s-90s). So even if it excluded illiquid assets this solves for what is going on which is effectively a hoarding of resources and assets as the disparity grows. Even if I believe this is all a function of government involvement, mismanagement and intervention and less a consequence of free market capitalism, as someone who likes our country vs the alternatives we have to find a way to solve for this before it becomes a revolutionary issue and it's pretty clear how we've structured this bastardized quasi capitalist system won't allow for a "rising tide lifts all boats" sufficiently to avoid that one day. (on scale please let's leave tiny little inconsequential countries like the Scandanavian ones out of this)

This other concern from this Rosenthal guy has an easy fix because PE figured this out decades ago with a concept called a "high water" mark. Basically PE firms don't get their share of the upside, traditionally (though changing) they charge 2 & 20 which is 2% asset management fee (conceptually to keep the lights on, or overhead expenses) and 20% of profits above a 8% IRR. But it's off the high point not up down up and double dip on the "promote" (20% profit share). If someone takes an "L" on an investment for more than a year or two they are harvesting it anyways, so it's not like you'd pay forward taxes and sit on that "forward payment" for years and years. The tax policy guy is another think tank person who should know better when throwing that out but clearly doesn't. Inflation index is a red herring - pointless except to cause distortions in the discussion. Especially on the annual basis, the only point of that is in the initial assessment but hey there's a bunch of families in NYC that own land (ground lease with someone else owning the fee only, vertical structure separately) with low basis' as well as family offices built of carried interest of financial engineers - this should all be cool with the populist, Trump acolyte new to politics republicans.

Opportunity Zones should never have existed. It was a gift to the Kushners and what few private sector friends the Trumps have left. Bobbling above and below the line is covered by a high water mark. And at the highest level who are we kidding, if it includes 1-2 who are only in the "two comma club" you don't care. See this clip for people who bobble above and below - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMUrB-Um1Y

As for financial derivative use - it's predominantly utilized to avoid paying taxes. Seriously idiotic for those to point out and I know some folks at George Mason in Economics (Russ Roberts was there for years and I like him a ton, he would point out what I'm saying and he's also part of the Hoover Institute).

This is what they really think and waited until the end and wrapped it around a lot of flawed, not even psuedo intellectual "support": Like all taxes, the Zillow Tax might begin as a tax on a few hundred billionaires (and let’s be honest, they will probably find a way to avoid paying it), but it will almost surely creep down to Joe and Jane Suburbs before long, time being a variable. There is no greater precedent for this than the income tax itself, which started off applying only to plutocrats and is now paid by garbagemen. There are many other such cases (the death tax, the Spanish American War telephone-excise tax, etc.) too numerous to mention.

This is pandering and silly:

So the lesson is the following — the next time you are on Zillow, and you get that rush of excitement from seeing your home value Zestimate go up, just remember that Uncle Sam is lurking outside your door, ready to take a piece of it away.

The national review has declined from William F Buckley to William Kristol to Rich Lowry or whoever runs it now and this sentence "But one proposal involves what Democrats are calling “mark to market” taxation, as usual masking an insane tax idea in opaque, faculty-lounge argle-bargle" is evidence of it's decline. It's catering to a group that has no interest in thinking to sell more themselves, deviating from it's original mission as a publication for it's own institutional benefit (a multigeneration periodical is an institution)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:51 am This is getting more intriguing, if not borderline intentional by the power to be....Truckers and port workers are starting to speak out and blaming those in the decision making process, claiming there are plenty just waiting for more to do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/truck ... np1taskbar
Don't look to me, Afan tells me because I sit behind a desk (which isn't exactly true but he knows better than me) that I can't understand how to execute on anything in the real world.

But seriously, of course a bunch of insulated bubble folks who talk about theoretical will miss on execution. The mistake you made, IMO, is that Trump may not have been a politician but his life experiences were equally superficial. I think you lean too hard on that personal experience, which happily was a good one, and not enough on the body of his mismanagement of all things life before and after his time in office. It should be evident he didn't and couldn't manage organizations much smaller than the United States now for you. About what I expected from Biden and a bunch of recycled Obama folks - as much as I think Obama was a good person my biggest concern with him and his people (David Axelrod is at the top of the list) is that they were too polished on message and light on execution until the rubber met the road. The McCauliffes and Delays and neocons were more selfish and self serving but they could execute and get things done, for better or worse. We need to find people that have the right ideals and ability to execute to ever get out of this cycle of doo doo we've been in for too long.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:50 am Argghhhh dont you care about people who cant afford homes!!! HYPOCRITE
Dude........one of the 3d housing videos/promos claims that there is a construction workforce shortage, to go along with the housing problem. :roll:

The "knock" is on the human killing automation......that ROBOTS will be building these homes, NOT the humans that will occupy them.

Flippy is that french fry, hambuger automation for fastfood places. No human required. computer touchpads, wireless payments, and flippy the auto robot is packaging your food.

Dude, you couldn't get a plumber AND an electrician....to get into this 650 sq. foot closet.....for $4000. No water collection system. No insulation.

and YOU think the concrete is carbon footprint friendly? Just wondering where the robot is getting the aggregate, and delivering the concrete to the site.

THIS........is what I have done.....provided local, sustainable, affordable....homes. Timber frames, clay/chip cob and insulation. Hemp cob too.

https://foxmaple.com/FMNatBldWks.html

https://www.hullforest.com/the-hull-story/

How one can conclude that another doesn't care about the poor, based on an opinion in impractical solutions, unless the goal is to continue of footprint on the world, paving paradise for parking lots.....and than blame the weather when it floods. :roll:

I care very much about the poor, housing, etc. You only posted this because you think you and yours can make a buck, from the poor.

Yeah........a functional home ,for less than $4000 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Made of concrete?

What does a yard of concrete, cost, there farfromgeneva? geez........and, did I already mention the carbon footprint of this home? concrete is a carbon footprint deadend....but you know this. YOu just want to make some money off the idea of providing for the poor. Get federal dollars.

How do you clean concrete walls ? Imagine getting some tomato sauce into one of those concrete cracks ?

again....who needs people.......robots can build things. Robots can also pick "winners" in the market.....only, they can't glad hand at lacrosse tailgates. Can they ?

soon....
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

When you say “you” I lose all interest because you don’t listen to anyone else and accuse people of things you know nothing about these other people and have proven that you don’t care to try.

Keep on truckin with the rants. It’s clearly effective…
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:27 am When you say “you” I lose all interest because you don’t listen to anyone else and accuse people of things you know nothing about these other people and have proven that you don’t care to try.

Keep on truckin with the rants. It’s clearly effective…
Dude....you just made the claim that I am a hypocrite, bc I don't care about the poor. .....and provided plenty of incite into why I feel robot homes made of concrete are anything BUT helpful for the poor. Or the environment.

You made the accusation (hypocrite ) no one else......

What part am I not listening too :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Inductive reasoning and long term memory

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDWylEQSwFo
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Climate Change Is a Serious Threat to America’s Financial System

Could the "sky fall"?
Financial contagion could spread from the physical wounds of climate change. Extreme weather and flooding may render regions of the country too costly to insure, condemning entire communities—households, businesses and governments alike—to economic and financial precarity with unclear options. The mounting toll of physical damages could wipe out the income properties generate or destroy the value of assets used as collateral, “posing credit and market risks to banks, insurers, pension plans, and others,” the report states.

Another threat could come from the solution to climate change itself. With each passing month that pollution from burning fossil fuels and felling forests for cattle ranches increases, the speed of change that’s required to avert cataclysmic temperature rise climbs. If countries take divergent paths and fail to coordinate, it could “sow confusion or create large inefficiencies, thereby possibly straining the financial system.”

The rapid shifts could also quickly make previously valuable investments virtually worthless. “Delays and years of complacency eventually require larger, more disruptive policy adjustments … which would likely have more dramatic effects on economic activity and asset values.”
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:20 am Climate Change Is a Serious Threat to America’s Financial System

Could the "sky fall"?
Financial contagion could spread from the physical wounds of climate change. Extreme weather and flooding may render regions of the country too costly to insure, condemning entire communities—households, businesses and governments alike—to economic and financial precarity with unclear options. The mounting toll of physical damages could wipe out the income properties generate or destroy the value of assets used as collateral, “posing credit and market risks to banks, insurers, pension plans, and others,” the report states.

Another threat could come from the solution to climate change itself. With each passing month that pollution from burning fossil fuels and felling forests for cattle ranches increases, the speed of change that’s required to avert cataclysmic temperature rise climbs. If countries take divergent paths and fail to coordinate, it could “sow confusion or create large inefficiencies, thereby possibly straining the financial system.”

The rapid shifts could also quickly make previously valuable investments virtually worthless. “Delays and years of complacency eventually require larger, more disruptive policy adjustments … which would likely have more dramatic effects on economic activity and asset values.”
Sure, and I could finally get my caligula style orgy with a variety of my super thirsty list representing the roman senators wives.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 am Been waiting for a while for this to gain traction

By Nicole Friedman

Lennar Corp. and construction-technology firm Icon are poised to start building next year at a site in the Austin metro area, the companies said. While Icon and others have built 3-D printed housing before, this effort will test the technology’s ability to churn out homes and generate buyer demand on a much larger scale.

“We’re sort of graduating from singles and dozens of homes to hundreds of homes,” said Jason Ballard, Icon’s chief executive.

If 3-D printing succeeds at this more ambitious level, it could offer a response to America’s chronic shortage of homes for sale, especially in the affordable price range. Mortgage-finance company Freddie Mac estimated that the national deficit of single-family homes stood at 3.8 million units at the end of 2020.

Supply-chain backlogs during the pandemic have pinched home construction, while labor shortages have hampered production for years.

“Skilled tradesmen are a dying breed,” said Eric Feder, president of LenX, Lennar’s venture-capital and innovation unit. “So there have to be alternative building solutions to help with this labor deficit.”

The vast majority of newly built single-family homes in the U.S. are constructed on-site and framed in wood using traditional construction methods.

Icon’s 3-D printed houses use concrete framing instead. Its 15.5-foot-tall printers can build the exterior and interior wall system for a 2,000-square-foot, one-story house in a week, Mr. Ballard said. The printer squeezes out concrete in layers, like toothpaste out of a tube. The machines can print curved walls, allowing for more creative house designs, he added.

Lennar will complete the houses using traditional construction methods. The week it takes Icon to print a wall system is about the same amount of time it takes to frame and drywall a home using traditional construction methods, but Lennar said it hopes it can speed up that process in the future. 3-D printed homes can also be built more cheaply, with fewer people on-site and less waste compared with typical newly built houses, Icon says.

Buyers shouldn’t necessarily count on a discount to the market’s going rate. Lennar hasn’t determined how the homes in the new community will be priced but they will be similar to other Lennar homes in the area, Mr. Feder said. The median home-sale price in the Austin metro area in September was $450,000, according to the Austin Board of Realtors.

Icon has already built 10 two-bedroom homes in Tabasco, Mexico, and seven one-bedroom tiny homes in Austin. Earlier this year, Icon built four single-family homes in Austin with developer 3Strands. Icon has raised $266 million in funding since its 2017 founding. Lennar and home builder D.R. Horton Inc. are both investors.

Trying to scale up 3-D printing technology brings new challenges. Icon’s projects have been permitted by local jurisdictions, but obtaining municipal approvals could be a challenge in new markets, since the technology is unfamiliar. Consumers might also be skeptical of the concept and some might be put off by the look of 3-D printed homes. Icon’s homes, for example, have horizontal ridges in the exterior and some interior walls from the layered printing technique.

On the other hand, buyers are likely to be attracted to homes that are built with less waste, which should translate to cost savings, said Margaret Whelan, chief executive of Whelan Advisory, a boutique investment bank for the housing industry.

In the past, Icon’s houses have been priced at a modest discount to the market rate. Its four-home project in Austin with 3Strands was its first attempt to build two-story houses, using 3-D printing for the first-floor walls while the second floors were conventionally built.

A two-bedroom house in the development was priced at $450,000 and sold for $530,000, said Gary O’Dell, chief executive of 3Strands. A four-bedroom 3-D printed home, meanwhile, sold for nearly $800,000. The homes were priced slightly below comparable houses in the area, Mr. O’Dell said.

The U.S. mortgage market involves some key players that play important roles in the process. Here’s what investors should understand and what risks they take when investing in the industry. WSJ’s Telis Demos explains. Photo: Getty Images/Martin Barraud
Other firms are also rushing to print out homes. Mighty Buildings, a construction-technology company in Oakland, Calif., said it plans to start construction on 3-D printed homes for a 15-lot community in California’s Coachella Valley next year. Preliminary demand for the community has been so strong that Palari Inc., the developer, is planning to add more lots, said Palari CEO Basil Starr.

Patchogue, N.Y.-based SQ4D Inc. is currently building a 3-D printed home in Long Island that it sold to a local family for $360,000, above the $299,999 list price, said Kristen Henry, the company’s chief technology officer.

Home-buying demand has surged during the pandemic, as buyers took advantage of low mortgage-interest rates to find more space to work from home. Home-building activity has climbed in response, with single-family housing starts up 20.5% year to date, according to Commerce Department data.

“I think 2022 is going to be a year where we are going to see a renewed emphasis on innovation,” said Robert Dietz, chief economist at the National Association of Home Builders. “Any productivity gain, any innovation, will help add that additional supply.”

Write to Nicole Friedman at [email protected]
Construction methods are secondary to operational utilities like power and water. Need to solve those issues in the arid states or don’t bother building shite.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Demographics is destiny in current economic framework. And they don’t look good for large swathes of humanity. As this framework increasingly fails to efficiently allocate capital, coupled with climate change disruptions, there will be some profound economic and political changes. Knowing humans, it won’t be pretty.

https://seekingalpha.com/amp/article/44 ... hic-vortex
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”