Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:32 am From a Princeton alum who went to game but missed second half (he had a son just graduate from Bart and another there now for context)

The score was 6-6 at halftime. Painfully boring offenses. So I headed back to the beer tent, then took off. Didn't see the last quarter. Honestly, D3/ Hobart interests me more than the bloated Ivy League
6 yards and a cloud of dust is football!
As is a beer tent.
Used to be 3 yards.
Of beer or on the field?

Our guys are about 5 and 7.5ypc

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... well/16144

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/footbal ... -jr-/16157

Have a buddy who’s some are at Holy Cross and Colgate and made the drive from Bergen Co to Ithaca last weekend but he said he didn’t take in any of the sights just in and out.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am I don't know if anyone cares, but there was a bit of a social media tweet storm over the weekend regarding the Harvard vs Princeton OT football game.

In brief, Harvard scored to win the game in a series of 2 point conversion plays. The play was called back in error, and eventually, Princeton won 18-16. The Ivy League acknowledged the error, but still gave Princeton the win.

Many Ivy fans likely recall the 1940 "Fifth Down Game" between Cornell and Dartmouth. Cornell won on an officiating error, and forfeited the game to Dartmouth. The forfeit eliminated Cornell's real hopes of a NC in football that year.

We'll see this week what the Princeton administration does. The Cornell example was an effort in sportsmanship that has been remembered. It would credit Princeton to abide by this unique tradition.
Well, the Harvard AD has graciously conceded the game. Very graciously. Princeton is silent. It's a shameful day for Ivy Sports and HYP Football. I guess that the League is happy with developing technocrats as opposed to principled leaders.

I guess TLD's tag line is correct.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am I don't know if anyone cares, but there was a bit of a social media tweet storm over the weekend regarding the Harvard vs Princeton OT football game.

In brief, Harvard scored to win the game in a series of 2 point conversion plays. The play was called back in error, and eventually, Princeton won 18-16. The Ivy League acknowledged the error, but still gave Princeton the win.

Many Ivy fans likely recall the 1940 "Fifth Down Game" between Cornell and Dartmouth. Cornell won on an officiating error, and forfeited the game to Dartmouth. The forfeit eliminated Cornell's real hopes of a NC in football that year.

We'll see this week what the Princeton administration does. The Cornell example was an effort in sportsmanship that has been remembered. It would credit Princeton to abide by this unique tradition.
Well, the Harvard AD has graciously conceded the game. Very graciously. Princeton is silent. It's a shameful day for Ivy Sports and HYP Football. I guess that the League is happy with developing technocrats as opposed to principled leaders.

It's indeed a pity if PU doesn't take this opportunity to make a principled decision.

The opportunity is there. They don't happen often.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I admire what Cornell did those many decades ago. They did the right thing, even if it meant surrendering a national championship.

Having said that, if there are any SEC football fans reading this thread, they are laughing uncontrollably on the floor right now, spilling their Bud Light all over their new Confederate flag area rug and slapping the derrière of their cousin-wife.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:12 pm

It's indeed a pity if PU doesn't take this opportunity to make a principled decision.

The opportunity is there. They don't happen often.
The Cornell President at the time, Edmund Day, was a Dartmouth grad (BA and MA), and when the offer of a forfeit was made, he was not sure what the Dartmouth response would be. He is recorded as thinking that Dartmouth might have declined the gesture. However, Cornell conceded, leaving the decision to Dartmouth (which was the correct decision). As another sign of the times, the Head Referee wrote a letter of apology to the Dartmouth team. Even if the Ivy League and Harvard are willing to let the result stand under NCAA rules, the league could make a finding that gives the win to Harvard for Ivy Title purposes.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 pm

I admire what Cornell did those many decades ago. They did the right thing, even if it meant surrendering a national championship.

Having said that, if there are any SEC football fans reading this thread, they are laughing uncontrollably on the floor right now, spilling their Bud Light all over their new Confederate flag area rug and slapping the derrière of their cousin-wife.

So you are saying SEC fans are racists, misogynists and practice incest?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:54 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:57 pm

So you are saying SEC fans are racists, misogynists and practice incest?
Of course he is.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I don't think Princeton should concede for the following reason: this was a double screw-up by the refs. First, they erred by not granting Princeton the TO which their coach had properly called in time. So if the game had ended on the Harvard score, you would probably have heard Princeton fans calling for an apology from the refs and a concession from Harvard. It is true that the refs screwed up a second time by reviewing an unreviewable call. That should not have happened. On balance, the substance of the matter is that Princeton did call the TO properly and therefore "deserve" the win.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am I don't think Princeton should concede for the following reason: this was a double screw-up by the refs. First, they erred by not granting Princeton the TO which their coach had properly called in time. So if the game had ended on the Harvard score, you would probably have heard Princeton fans calling for an apology from the refs and a concession from Harvard. It is true that the refs screwed up a second time by reviewing an unreviewable call. That should not have happened. On balance, the substance of the matter is that Princeton did call the TO properly and therefore "deserve" the win.
Thanks, Can Opener. All valid points. Were I to debate them, I'd note that we'll never know if the timeout had, in fact, been called, if Harvard might have converted after it. Perhaps the most just action would be to call this game a tie.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Can Opener wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:53 am I don't think Princeton should concede for the following reason: this was a double screw-up by the refs. First, they erred by not granting Princeton the TO which their coach had properly called in time. So if the game had ended on the Harvard score, you would probably have heard Princeton fans calling for an apology from the refs and a concession from Harvard. It is true that the refs screwed up a second time by reviewing an unreviewable call. That should not have happened. On balance, the substance of the matter is that Princeton did call the TO properly and therefore "deserve" the win.
Thanks, Can Opener. All valid points. Were I to debate them, I'd note that we'll never know if the timeout had, in fact, been called, if Harvard might have converted after it. Perhaps the most just action would be to call this game a tie.
Tie??? You like kissing your sister on the lips as well?

Play to the death! Old school style, then shake hands stepping over the lifeless bodies afterwards.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 am

Play to the death! Old school style, then shake hands stepping over the lifeless bodies afterwards.
Kinda like “The Gamesters of Triskelion” from the original Star Trek series?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gam ... Triskelion

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:29 am

Kinda like “The Gamesters of Triskelion” from the original Star Trek series?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gam ... Triskelion

DocBarrister ;)
We have two in agreement now. I’m not a Star Trek guy guy will take that crowd too
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Princeton Men's Lacrosse • 2022 Schedule

Feb. 19 MONMOUTH
Feb. 22 BINGHAMTON
Feb. 26 at Maryland
Mar. 5 at Georgetown
Mar. 12 RUTGERS
Mar. 19 PENN
Mar. 26 at Yale
Apr. 2 at Brown
Apr. 5 MARIST
Apr. 9 BOSTON UNIVERSITY
Apr. 16 DARTMOUTH
Apr. 23 at Harvard
Apr. 30 CORNELL
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Binghamton? Are they recruiting section 4 now?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:02 pm Binghamton? Are they recruiting section 4 now?
Taking a year off disrupted scheduling. Not a lot of options to get a Tuesday game on that early in the season. Binghamton probably recruiting New Jersey. Maryland at the end of 3 games in 8 days is not easy.
“I wish you would!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

It looks like the Ivy schedule Princeton would have played in 2020; so it's probably a safe bet that the IL conference schedule is consistent with previous years. Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers provide a nice run-in to Ivy play, although Hop and UVA aren't scheduled.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:31 pm It looks like the Ivy schedule Princeton would have played in 2020; so it's probably a safe bet that the IL conference schedule is consistent with previous years. Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers provide a nice run-in to Ivy play, although Hop and UVA aren't scheduled.
Ivy League schedule is always the same. Home/Away reverses each year. The 2022 schedule is the normal “even year” year schedule.
“I wish you would!”
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Curious if Penn playing a game last year cost it's players a year of eligibility?
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

PATalk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 pm Curious if Penn playing a game last year cost it's players a year of eligibility?
I doubt it. Seems like some of the Ivy League teams make up the rules as they go along.
Typical Lax Dad

Henpecked wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:57 pm
PATalk wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:51 pm Curious if Penn playing a game last year cost it's players a year of eligibility?
I doubt it. Seems like some of the Ivy League teams make up the rules as they go along.
Playing the game didn’t jeopardize eligibility. I believe a one time 5th year was granted to all ivy league spring athletes. Seemed to level set schools for one year with those in which seniors/juniors had withdrawn to preserve 4 years of eligibility. This benefitted Penn, Cornell and Brown to the extent seniors were enrolled last Spring.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”