Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by primitiveskills »

Thanks for all the reports. Much appreciated. Keep 'em coming!
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Reviewing the video of the 1st half vs. Hobart

1st qtr.

13:36 - Angelus feeds Deso 1-0

Brett Martin GB off the FO

12:40 - Deso to Epstein 2-0

10:57 - McDermott to Peshko 3-0

9:50 - Hobart transition goal 3-1

8:21 - Hobart doorstep goal 3-2

8:00 - Hobart invert goal dribbles past Marcille 3-3

6:53 - Hobart doorstep goal from TO behind goal 3-4

6:46 - Dunn to Epstein 4-4

3:48 - Hobart doorstep goal 4-5

2:01 - Angelus to Degnon 5-5

1:37 - McDermott to Epstein 6-5

00:07 Epstein to Evans 7-5

2nd qtr.

14:15 - Hobart goal 7-6

12:53 - Deso unassisted 8-6

11:56 - Hobart invert goal 8-7

5:28 - Deso to Degnon 9-7

1:49 - Hobart goal 9-8

Eight out of nine Hop goals were assisted.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Reviewed the 2nd half vs. Hobart

3rd qtr.

11:20 - Deso to Chauvette EMO 10-8

9:38 - Grimes to Peshko 11-8

8:48 - Raposo unassisted 12-8

7:17 - Deso unassisted 13-8

5:33 - Stuart Phillips alley dodge unassisted 14-8

4th qtr.

11:35 Evans to Bauer 15-8

Nick Kaufman GB

9:58 Reen to Hicks 16-8

7:51 Hobart goal 16-9

6:27 Reen unassisted 17-9

1:12 - Evans to Reen 18-9.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm Phillips played a lot. He moves well, passes well and scored a goal. Definitely see him in the 2nd midfield rotation.

Fernandez played in the intrasquad scrimmage and looked good. Yes, he was held out today out of an abundance of caution.

Spoke with Narewski before the scrimmage. Said he was playing with the injury through last season. Didn’t think he would make it through the ‘22 season, so he had the patella surgically repaired.
Expects to be ready for the opener in February.
Very good. I'd obviously rather have a 100% Narewski but I guess the silver lining is that getting these other guys high-value reps now could pay dividends in the spring.

Can you speak to what made you say Evans was a "revelation"? And how any of the attackmen not named DeSo or Epstein looked? And who was the best goalie on the day?
In the two scrimmages, Evans had 3g, 2a. His first goal at the end of the 1st qtr. was the most spectacular of the Hobart scrimmage. Ryan was not on most of our radars, but he kept making plays. He made shots both inside and outside.

Krampf started, but did not finish as the 3rd attackman. He didn’t turn the ball over, but wasn’t on the score sheet. With Chauvette on the EMO unit, I could see him alternate with Angelus as the 3rd attackman. Heard that Grimes is practicing exclusively as a midfielder.

Poor Marcille had four egregious defensive lapses in front of him and behind him that resulted in four of the eight goals he gave up. But if he was really on his game, he would have at least stoned one of those shots. His Hobart counterpart stoned a few of Hop’s shots. I have Marcille with two saves in the half he played, but his clearing passes occasionally went up for grabs.

With his 6’4” broad frame, Gib immediately got into the heads of the Hobart shooters when he entered in the 3rd. It seemed there was little space available, so they started shooting wildly. Gib had several saves and his clearing passes were crisp.

Clearing was subpar in the opening 20 minutes of the Richmond scrimmage and some of that blame can be laid at Kirson’s feet.
His passing was indecisive. Although, his goaltending was above average.

Rounding out the tenders, Jack Webb had an impressive outing against the Spiders. Clearing improved under his direction. He let in one soft goal, but settled down after that. The close defense played very well in front of him.

If I had to handicap the goalies:

1. Webb—because he is a freshman and was mostly solid in the net and on outlet passes. My holy grail is having a four year starter in goal.
2. Gib shut down Hobart in the second half, allowing only one goal. His saves were good both high and low. He took command of the clearing.
3. Marcille gave up four goals faster than a jackrabbit can cross a field. Not good, if you worry about runs. Tim settled down after that, but I didn’t like some of outlet lobs.
4. To my eye, Kirson is the same tender he was last year. That’s faint praise.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:56 pm Hop 11-9 final. Bauer and Teachout goals.

Crisp passing, excellent shot making. This is the best I can remember Hopkins offense playing in Fall Ball.

Prouty looked good at the X in the 4th.

Ryan Evans was a revelation.
Evans? Joe Cowan’s grandson according to his roster bio?

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:29 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:22 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:06 pm Phillips played a lot. He moves well, passes well and scored a goal. Definitely see him in the 2nd midfield rotation.

Fernandez played in the intrasquad scrimmage and looked good. Yes, he was held out today out of an abundance of caution.

Spoke with Narewski before the scrimmage. Said he was playing with the injury through last season. Didn’t think he would make it through the ‘22 season, so he had the patella surgically repaired.
Expects to be ready for the opener in February.
Very good. I'd obviously rather have a 100% Narewski but I guess the silver lining is that getting these other guys high-value reps now could pay dividends in the spring.

Can you speak to what made you say Evans was a "revelation"? And how any of the attackmen not named DeSo or Epstein looked? And who was the best goalie on the day?
In the two scrimmages, Evans had 3g, 2a. His first goal at the end of the 1st qtr. was the most spectacular of the Hobart scrimmage. Ryan was not on most of our radars, but he kept making plays. He made shots both inside and outside.

Krampf started, but did not finish as the 3rd attackman. He didn’t turn the ball over, but wasn’t on the score sheet. With Chauvette on the EMO unit, I could see him alternate with Angelus as the 3rd attackman. Heard that Grimes is practicing exclusively as a midfielder.

Poor Marcille had four egregious defensive lapses in front of him and behind him that resulted in four of the eight goals he gave up. But if he was really on his game, he would have at least stoned one of those shots. His Hobart counterpart stoned a few of Hop’s shots. I have Marcille with two saves in the half he played, but his clearing passes occasionally went up for grabs.

With his 6’4” broad frame, Gib immediately got into the heads of the Hobart shooters when he entered in the 3rd. It seemed there was little space available, so they started shooting wildly. Gib had several saves and his clearing passes were crisp.

Clearing was subpar in the opening 20 minutes of the Richmond scrimmage and some of that blame can be laid at Kirson’s feet.
His passing was indecisive. Although, his goaltending was above average.

Rounding out the tenders, Jack Webb had an impressive outing against the Spiders. Clearing improved under his direction. He let in one soft goal, but settled down after that. The close defense played very well in front of him.

If I had to handicap the goalies:

1. Webb—because he is a freshman and was mostly solid in the net and on outlet passes. My holy grail is having a four year starter in goal.
2. Gib shut down Hobart in the second half, allowing only one goal. His saves were good both high and low. He took command of the clearing.
3. Marcille gave up four goals faster than a jackrabbit can cross a field. Not good, if you worry about runs. Tim settled down after that, but I didn’t like some of outlet lobs.
4. To my eye, Kirson is the same tender he was last year. That’s faint praise.
Great report. Thanks!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Appreciate it HOB. Excited to see the videos. I'm glad no henchmen were dispatched to kick you out this time.

6 pts for DeSo in 3 quarters is what I like to hear—still think he has another level he can get to as an attackman in year two at the position/under the new staff/with an actual fall ball

Webb winning the job would be an exciting development and quite the underdog story
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Thanks HOB - for all your work - it really really is appreciated. You are reporting on what happened but I would caution anybody about drawing any conclusions. I'll invoke here the ghost of Joe Pollard. That was a period when it was fairly easy for me to go see the Jays in the fall. Pollard LIT scrimmages up for two stright seasons - multiple goals every time I watched him and the Laxpower/Fanlax folks were giddy about this diamond in the rough. He never played meaningful minutes and was not on the roster by his junior year. While I know there were players on those two teams that thought he should have played it's just a cautionary tale that this is all just a chance to run around with people in a different uniform and is not an indication of future performance beyond what is already blindingly obvious - e.g. a healthy Epstein/DeSimone/Degnon are going to start
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

thanks to those of you who went and posted.

Hopefully cornell will make his stuff available. I've tried to follow him on social media and it's a bit of an adventure.

Headstrong foundation story has some clips up in the story, it's the circle on the top and they're later on about midway through. Jaronski getting burned and martin unable to help. Angelus feeding degnon and epstein looking at home.

https://www.instagram.com/headstrongfnd/channel/
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

JHU Men's Lacrosse
@jhumenslacrosse
Sad to share news of the passing of Blue Jay lacrosse legend Jerry Schnydman - https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/10/ ... ndman.aspx
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 am Thanks HOB - for all your work - it really really is appreciated. You are reporting on what happened but I would caution anybody about drawing any conclusions. I'll invoke here the ghost of Joe Pollard. That was a period when it was fairly easy for me to go see the Jays in the fall. Pollard LIT scrimmages up for two stright seasons - multiple goals every time I watched him and the Laxpower/Fanlax folks were giddy about this diamond in the rough. He never played meaningful minutes and was not on the roster by his junior year. While I know there were players on those two teams that thought he should have played it's just a cautionary tale that this is all just a chance to run around with people in a different uniform and is not an indication of future performance beyond what is already blindingly obvious - e.g. a healthy Epstein/DeSimone/Degnon are going to start
I was never that high on Pollard, while he could score in fall ball it was generally very late in the scrimmages and his athleticism wasn’t exactly off the charts.

A very funny DM that was just shared by a regular poster.

“You know how I know PM is a better developer of talent than Petro? He just got more out of Jake Fox in a weekend than Petro did in four years”.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

RIP JS.

Fox looked good playing Sixes and more like himself than he ever was as a Blue Jay. Also looking pretty good was '22 recruit Koleton Marquis who was playing with and against a ton of NLL and PLL guys and did not look out of place.

06—that isn't getting "burned," Jaronski led the dodger directly into a well-timed double team, the issue was in the execution of that double—probably shouldn't have tried for the over-the-head check (those rarely work out) plus give credit to the Hobart player for making a nice move to get out of it. But when the double came the player was not in a threatening position and that's pretty much all you can ask of a shortie when they get dodged at 1-on-1.

Speaking of shorties: Martin, Jaronski, Mabbett, Shure, Lilly (Glassmeyer if/when healthy?)—that's solid depth at an important position and none of these guys are the munchkins of yesteryear.
molo

Post by molo »

Jerry provided lots of drama in my household as a kid. Back then, the top conference in the Maryland Scholastic Association, which became the MIAA in the 1990s when Baltimore City Public Schools left to join the state public school athletic association, consisted of a public and private school division. The winners of each division, who didn’t play each other in regular season league competition, met to decide the MSA championship. City dominated the public school division, with their stiffest competition coming from archrival Poly, where my father coached in the early 60s. Jerry, a face-off man but no FOGO, confounded my father for three years, but it seemed even longer since Poly and City played twice every year. Poly never got the better of the fireplug although he took his licks from some of the Poly wing men, often converted football players that my father recruited to counter the City teams whose best players were generally products of the Lancers Boys Club and thus arrived in high school with better stick skills than most of their public school opponents, who had generally first played organized lax in hs.
When I was in seventh grade, City played my school, St. Paul’s, for the MSA championship at Homewood. The teams were fairly evenly matched but I think the private school was a slight favorite. I can still remember late face-off between Jerry and Carl Schulteiz, who must have been almost a foot taller than the Collegian. Jerry win the face-off and skirted past the Crusader, either scoring or assisting on a goal that sealed the win for the Black Knights.
I believe the final was 7-5.
Jerry’s midfield unit all went to Hopkins. The short, the taller than Jerry, Herb Better, went on to a distinguished legal career, and the tallest of the the three, Stan Fine, headed the Maryland Lottery Commission.
Many years later, when I was a school counselor and lax coach and Jerry was in admissions at Hopkins, I met him and told him that he had caused a fair share of consternation in the house of the erstwhile Poly coach but epitomized the role of worthy rival. Sorry to hear this sad news about a great guy.
On a personal note, I once asked my father, grad and teacher who said it was the best school he had ever worked at, why he didn’t send my their. Never exactly the warm and fuzzy type, he answered,”Because you weren’t good enough at math.”
I’m not as close to Hopkins as those who did their undergrad work their, but among my friends who went there and among those I knew from my days as a grad student at JHU, the man was universally revered and respected. 77 is too young.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:45 am JHU Men's Lacrosse
@jhumenslacrosse
Sad to share news of the passing of Blue Jay lacrosse legend Jerry Schnydman - https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/10/ ... ndman.aspx
RIP, Jerry
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

My intro to lacrosse was watching Jerry do back flips after goals. Very talented player and fun to watch. RIP.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Molo,

Thx for your write up.

I met Jerry a couple of times later in life. Stan and B became friends. When Herb worked in the USAG office there were a couple of years when I dealt with him weekly as part of his job. I didn't know them when they played but heard some great stories and I did see them in their jobs. I was impressed by all of them.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

RIP JS - a great Blue Jay
flalax22 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:46 am I was never that high on Pollard, while he could score in fall ball it was generally very late in the scrimmages and his athleticism wasn’t exactly off the charts.
For the record, I was not advocating for or against Pollard - just a memory that served the point that judging anything by what happens in the fall is likely jumping the gun a bit. There WERE those who were advocating for him - including players on the 17/18 teams.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:54 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:46 am I was never that high on Pollard, while he could score in fall ball it was generally very late in the scrimmages and his athleticism wasn’t exactly off the charts.
For the record, I was not advocating for or against Pollard - just a memory that served the point that judging anything by what happens in the fall is likely jumping the gun a bit. There WERE those who were advocating for him - including players on the 17/18 teams.
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind here is more so what is being talked about when someone hypes up a player like this. Guys like Ryan Evans and Stuart Phillips looked good, but anyone currently singing their praises isn't asking to put them on the Tewey watch list or even advocating that they get minutes with the first line come spring. More so to me there is a certain level of competence/athleticism/skill that seems to have permeated further down the bench than in recent memory of other years. This seems to be the case at least on the offensive side of the ball. The guys on the roster who will be fighting for consideration on the "second" midfield line very much look the part right now. The stick skills were there, the decision making and understanding of the offense was also generally there. Whether or not they can run by an ACC caliber SSDM or are a total liability on defense is to be determined but the boys 7+ on the midfield depth chart sure looked more like real life college lacrosse players rather than a total construction zone. That hasn't always been something we've been able to say in years past.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”