All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I had read that. Liked the “half asses religious exemption”. Goes to show you who’s a paycheck worker when they put a political belief over the risk they pose to the patients their providing care for but shame in WV where there’s not a lot of outside support relative to the poverty to help sick folks.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Bart

Post by Bart »

This is an interesting read on the state of scientific publishing. I put it up here cause the authors conclusions are interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... ms/620473/
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Bart wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 am This is an interesting read on the state of scientific publishing. I put it up here cause the authors conclusions are interesting.

Thanks for posting...look forward to reading. Great graphic btw, for anyone still impressed by quality aesthetics
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 am This is an interesting read on the state of scientific publishing. I put it up here cause the authors conclusions are interesting.

As volunteers, we have no inherent authority. When we ask a research group for access to its original data, in accordance with a long-held standard for maintaining scientific integrity, our requests are commonly refused or ignored. And when we do find what we think are serious anomalies in a given paper, getting the authors, the institutions they work for, or their publication outlets to return our emails tends to be somewhere between challenging and impossible. When we looked at an ivermectin study published over the summer in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, for example, we found a highly unusual pattern of numbers that implied a failure of randomization. We reported this issue to the journal more than three months ago and have heard nothing substantive back.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:28 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Ha... this is a money issue? You're the guy with all the mula (nothing wrong with that of course)...ask yourself.
I was just kidding around....if we were responsible, that would be one heckuva civll suit!

Sounds like we're fine on that count, but we'll see at some point, I guess.
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Seriously, whomever is culpable needs to be identified. Then the GOF sh!t needs to stop. Isn't the human race fragile enough without the existential manipulation of viruses and now hypersonic-nukes too?
Regulation over free markets, tech? (kidding you again).
Sure you are
No, I really am.

How are we going to regulate GOF, or things like cloning in places like China? Or Russia?
So instead we should just walk in circles, wringing our hands, hoping for the best?

It's the same issue we face with climate change. As you know, countries like China and India continue to pollute and amplify greenhouse effect. Should we simply throw up our hands and say, what's the point of continued US effort when other countries don't give a sh!t?

Re Covid though, 5 million dead across the globe. I would bet a worldwide ban on research such as GOF will be easy to come by. Of course regulation oversight will be difficult, but again, better to do nothing at all? IMO, any reduction of GOF research is one less disaster waiting to happen. Now someone on here will say something dopey like, you're anti-science! As mentioned before, find a new way to research this stuff without tinkering with live viruses, putting human existence in jeopardy.

Also, there will always be bad actors, independently plotting to destroy by scientific means. You'd be stating the obvious to raise that point... and in that case we can only hope for the best.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

tech37 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:30 am
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Ha... this is a money issue? You're the guy with all the mula (nothing wrong with that of course)...ask yourself.
I was just kidding around....if we were responsible, that would be one heckuva civll suit!

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Seriously, whomever is culpable needs to be identified. Then the GOF sh!t needs to stop. Isn't the human race fragile enough without the existential manipulation of viruses and now hypersonic-nukes too?
Sure you are
No, I really am.

How are we going to regulate GOF, or things like cloning in places like China? UMMM....we can begin with NOT funding the research :roll: Or Russia?
So instead we should just walk in circles, wringing our hands, hoping for the best?

It's the same issue we face with climate change. As you know, countries like China and India continue to pollute and amplify greenhouse effect. Should we simply throw up our hands and say, what's the point of continued US effort when other countries don't give a sh!t?

Re Covid though, 5 million dead across the globe. I would bet a worldwide ban on research such as GOF will be easy to come by. Of course regulation oversight will be difficult, but again, better to do nothing at all? IMO, any reduction of GOF research is one less disaster waiting to happen. Now someone on here will say something dopey like, you're anti-science! As mentioned before, find a new way to research this stuff without tinkering with live viruses, putting human existence in jeopardy.

Also, there will always be bad actors, independently plotting to destroy by scientific means. You'd be stating the obvious to raise that point... and in that case we can only hope for the best.
OF those 5 million, what is the annual average, world wide, for deaths ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

From a pandemic, what's the average...or motorcycle accidents? :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Sure you are
No, I really am.

How are we going to regulate GOF, or things like cloning in places like China? Or Russia?

Yeah, I'll be the "dope" and say I want the researchers to be working with 'live' viruses to better understand how they evolve and modify, and jump species, and how they can damage us; and most importantly, how they can be identified, blocked, stopped. But, man, that's dangerous stuff and it needs to be very seriously handled, with significant oversight.

If you want to show how such research can be done without such danger, go for it.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:14 am

Sure you are
No, I really am.

Yeah, I'll be the "dope" and say I want the researchers to be working with 'live' viruses to better understand how they evolve and modify, and jump species, and how they can damage us; and most importantly, how they can be identified, blocked, stopped. But, man, that's dangerous stuff and it needs to be very seriously handled, with significant oversight.

If you want to show how such research can be done without such danger, go for it.
:lol: :lol: Oh, you mean just like what they were doing at Wuhan U. Glad to see you have finally changed lanes. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Sure you are
No, I really am.

Doesnt' the USA own lots of little island they can do this research on ? Natick Labs still a thing ?

Point IS.....what in the world are we doing research in a foreign country....at all ?

But........do we need to dig up your offbase, detramental comments disparaging ALL that even mentioned the "lab leak"....pooh poohing them as wacko's.

How IS that train of thought going for you in reality world ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 am

Sure you are
No, I really am.

:lol: :lol: Oh, you mean just like what they were doing at Wuhan U. Glad to see you have finally changed lanes. ;)
Yes, Wuhan would indeed be one of the places where you'd want work on pandemic-potential viruses done, but with heavy international involvement, international oversight. And China's going to do this work with or without our (international) direct engagement.

But we understand from reporting that safety protocols were slipshod...which is why I've consistently said that regardless of whether there was any sort of lab leak, whether zoonotic or engineered, safety protocols should be a very high priority going forward.

But alienating China from this effort is not a solution.

BTW, what do you think the US does at places like Ft. Dietrich?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am

Sure you are
No, I really am.

Yes, Wuhan would indeed be one of the places where you'd want work on pandemic-potential viruses done, but with heavy international involvement, international oversight. And China's going to do this work with or without our (international) direct engagement.

But we understand from reporting that safety protocols were slipshod...which is why I've consistently said that regardless of whether there was any sort of lab leak, whether zoonotic or engineered, safety protocols should be a very high priority going forward.

Oh...I know, my father worked there, Operation Whitecoat
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What has the CDC not updated this since July? https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/covid19/report ... mpact.html
~Livy

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Ha!... China has alienated themselves from any "effort". GMAFB.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

tech37 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:51 am

+1....I vividly remember them not allowing anyone in from the US CDC director, to the WHO, after repeated requests early in 2020. ANd yet, they were running testing on our dollar.
~Livy

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 am

+1....I vividly remember them not allowing anyone in from the US CDC director, to the WHO, after repeated requests early in 2020. ANd yet, they were running testing on our dollar.
4 sides to every story...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMXVHiN7jM

you make declarative statements.....you don't second guess your own knowledge.

measure twice, cut once.........

........others feel they are right, only need to measure once. And someone else is cutting, anyway........so blame....ummm....trump ?

geez.......as if trump is the only scumbagg....... :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

AFTER...we pulled our people and funding. We'd lost our eyes and ears because we'd pulled out, not because they'd thrown us out.

And AFTER, our tariff war, etc.

So, when the storm hit, they went into full on hunker down and disinformation mode...which is par for the course in terms of how they handle their own populace. They cracked down hard on the spread internally. Very hard.

And meanwhile Trump and others started calling it Kung Flu, etc...feeding into their paranoia about how the world would respond to the calamity. Indeed confirming their paranoia.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:49 am

Sure you are
No, I really am.

So, presumably you'd understand that the US doesn't invite (or allow) international inspection when stuff goes wrong...right?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:14 am
youthathletics wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:49 am

Sure you are
No, I really am.

So, presumably you'd understand that the US doesn't invite (or allow) international inspection when stuff goes wrong...right?
Where are we (the US) performing this type of paid research with Chinese funded money? Full disclosure....I do not know.
~Livy

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:13 am

AFTER...we pulled our people and funding. We'd lost our eyes and ears because we'd pulled out, not because they'd thrown us out.

And AFTER, our tariff war, etc.

So, when the storm hit, they went into full on hunker down and disinformation mode...which is par for the course in terms of how they handle their own populace. They cracked down hard on the spread internally. Very hard.

And meanwhile Trump and others started calling it Kung Flu, etc...feeding into their paranoia about how the world would respond to the calamity. Indeed confirming their paranoia.
..cough cough...BS...cough. So now you are defending China, again! :roll: oh vey.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”