All things Chinese CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm https://www.wyff4.com/article/general-e ... e/38014179

general electric. americana.
I just........ where do these people come up with this stuff?

"There's going to be people out here who are vaccinated. It's just, we feel like the government has no business coming into our place of work, threatening our employment, threatening our employer," said Neil Slater, an employee who was protesting.

Give me a microphone and a camera, so I can ask "Neil" What the heck does you think OSHA does in his plant? Or the EPA?"

And then I'd get crickets for a solid minute as Neil goes "oh yeah....I guess the Federal government does EXACTLY that---comes into our place of work, threatening our employment, threatening our employer------ 7 days a week, 365 days a year". Whoops, I forgot about that. Hey fellas! Let's call of this stupid walkout. I don't know what I was thinking."

Anyone here ever deal with OSHA? Their ENTIRE purpose is to keep workers from dying or losing a freaking arm. You know: to put the safety of workers ahead of the freedoms of the business owner.

Does Neil like OSHA? You bet he does. So does his family.

Facepalm.

I'd then walk Neil through other tyrannical ideas like stop lights and speed limits....you know...where The Man is trying to control you. :roll:
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:56 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am Maybe. Perhaps too obvious but seems to me that since Obama was in office cops have been beaten up by a lefty opposition and the msm. Overall what occupation has taken a similar hit? In what other occupation might you say, I can't win for losing and feel demoralized? Healthcare workers perhaps?
And since Trump has been office, about 20 million government employees----State, Federal, Local----- have had all time low morale. They're all bad, lazy, stupid, overpaid, underworked, and on and on. Remember? And who is sticking up for them the way folks stick up for the police? No one. So they take the abuse. Imagine showing up at work every day, having to deal with the public who hates you all day long-----and no one ever thanks you for making America a nice place to live.
Sorry, I'm not following you here. I realize you usually have an intelligent/legit point. How/why were gov't employees demoralized while Trump was in office? And how can their experience possibly compare to what cops have been through or how they've been demeaned?

Then there's teachers. No one *hits on anyone more than teachers. They're the cause of all problems related to children, apparently. And I think it's fair to say that out of all occupations (sans Covid hospital workers), they've had it the hardest during the pandemic. Or at least they're at the top with a few others.
Yes, teachers definitely have a tough job, but unlike police, have a very strong liberal union, the MSM supporting them, and their lives are very rarely in jeopardy. Teachers refused to back to work at the height of the pandemic. Cops kept working.

Back to the vaccine issue... I guess you're trying to equate all public servant jobs and vaccination obligation? All I'm saying is,
I can understand the defiant position cops have taken re their personal health, all things considered/mentioned.

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am Fox or social-media? They have played a part I suppose but it's simpler than that I think. Cops are pi$$ed and have a giant chip on their collective shoulders. They see an admin that includes defunders, sanctuary city advocates, open border policies, little support in general, etc., mandating their healthcare space, and rightly or wrongly, it's a chance to say FU.
Well, to be fair, not everyone sees these things ("open borders") the way you do...but of course you know that.
They should...

But yes, some are angry. And yes, can't win for losing....it's a very, very difficult job, and our country is armed to the teeth. Just like teachers have to deal daily with all of societies ills that directly harm children.....police have to deal with our 2nd amendment choices, which makes everything they do just a little bit harder.

But you have to enjoy the irony that the group that spends at least part of their day telling citizens what to do is offended when the tables are turned.
Irony? Their job is to keep people in line according to our laws. When our supposed leaders disparage those laws, how are the people trying to enforce them supposed to feel? Now that's ironic. So yeah, many may well quit rather than get vaccinated... in defiance.

I don't agree that this anger is the main driver for refusing shots. Media first. Social media second. Anger a distant third. The media is telling them where they can direct their anger......refusing the shot. My opinion, of course.
Anger is primal a fan.

I like that we agree that this would not have happened 20 or more years ago, though.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:35 pm
Good luck tech!!
Thanks sc
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:14 pm https://www.wyff4.com/article/general-e ... e/38014179

general electric. americana.
If they don’t have a legitimate medical reason, fire them. They are jeopardizing the wealth and prosperity of their colleagues and the company. GE owes it to their shareholders to fire them. Risk mitigation.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Sorry, I'm not following you here. I realize you usually have an intelligent/legit point. How/why were gov't employees demoralized while Trump was in office? And how can their experience possibly compare to what cops have been through or how they've been demeaned?
Ask your average Republican.....or read this forum....and look at what folks think about Government employees. And no, it didn't start with Trump...but Trump ramped it up. Find a Federal employee, and ask them what it's been like the last 20 years.
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Yes, teachers definitely have a tough job, but unlike police have a very strong liberal union, the MSM supporting them, and their lives are very rarely in jeopardy. Teachers refused to back to work at the height of the pandemic. Cops kept working.
I don't agree that that MSM supports them. And that includes, obviously, the right wing MSM. And the police don't have strong unions? And Cops kept working, yes. Apples and Oranges on that count...police work outside, largely, or in groups of two. Teachers were one of a handful of professions being told to work in a building with centralized air with several hundred other people at the height of the pandemic. That's a big ask.

But yes, the police worked. Kudos for that.
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Back to the vaccine issue... I guess you're trying to equate all public servant jobs and vaccination obligation? All I'm saying is, I can understand the defiant position cops have taken with their personal health, all things considered/mentioned.
I can't. If I were them? I'd demand a raise. THAT is productive, and serves a point.
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am They should...
Well....we don't. ;)
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am Irony? Their job is to keep people in line according to our laws. When our supposed leaders disparage those laws, how are the people trying to enforce them supposed to feel?
Which laws are being disparaged? And surely you understand that every community treats the laws entirely differently....which can (sometimes) be part of the problem. And some departments are great...and some aren't. The part I don't get is that the same conservatives who are livid at government unions for things like teachers, give police unions a full pass.

I mean: does it make sense to you that some folks think that that government ruins everything, and can't do anything right.....except the military and police departments. They're perfect, and don't need any attention. I don't understand why they're the unicorn of government workers.

The example I gave during the BLM protests was that my HS in the 80's was treated completely differently than downtown High Schools when it came to drugs and firearms. Guess which HS was treated more harshly when it came to drugs and guns? Same laws. Totally different enforcement procedures. Half of the kids I knew who went on to top colleges would be unemployable because of a felony drug record.

But I understand that you are I don't look at this issue the same. That's cool.
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am Anger is primal a fan.
Yes. But how you direct said anger isn't.

How'd she do tonight?? Winner, winner, chicken dinner? :)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Sorry, I'm not following you here. I realize you usually have an intelligent/legit point. How/why were gov't employees demoralized while Trump was in office? And how can their experience possibly compare to what cops have been through or how they've been demeaned?
Ask your average Republican.....or read this forum....and look at what folks think about Government employees. And no, it didn't start with Trump...but Trump ramped it up. Find a Federal employee, and ask them what it's been like the last 20 years.
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Yes, teachers definitely have a tough job, but unlike police have a very strong liberal union, the MSM supporting them, and their lives are very rarely in jeopardy. Teachers refused to back to work at the height of the pandemic. Cops kept working.
I don't agree that that MSM supports them. And that includes, obviously, the right wing MSM. And the police don't have strong unions? And Cops kept working, yes. Apples and Oranges on that count...police work outside, largely, or in groups of two. Teachers were one of a handful of professions being told to work in a building with centralized air with several hundred other people at the height of the pandemic. That's a big ask.

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:17 pm Back to the vaccine issue... I guess you're trying to equate all public servant jobs and vaccination obligation? All I'm saying is, I can understand the defiant position cops have taken with their personal health, all things considered/mentioned.
I can't. If I were them? I'd demand a raise. THAT is productive, and serves a point.
Well....we don't. ;)
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:54 am Irony? Their job is to keep people in line according to our laws. When our supposed leaders disparage those laws, how are the people trying to enforce them supposed to feel?
Which laws are being disparaged? And surely you understand that every community treats the laws entirely differently....which can (sometimes) be part of the problem. And some departments are great...and some aren't. The part I don't get is that the same conservatives who are livid at government unions for things like teachers, give police unions a full pass.

I mean: does it make sense to you that some folks think that that government ruins everything, and can't do anything right.....except the military and police departments. They're perfect, and don't need any attention. I don't understand why they're the unicorn of government workers.

The example I gave during the BLM protests was that my HS in the 80's was treated completely differently than downtown High Schools when it came to drugs and firearms. Guess which HS was treated more harshly when it came to drugs and guns? Same laws. Totally different enforcement procedures. Half of the kids I knew who went on to top colleges would be unemployable because of a felony drug record.

We'll have to solve these pressing issues another time...

Yes, the team advances, thank you. The girls are definitely an underdog next week in third round, or in their case, the underraptor.
Go Eagles!
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 pm

Well....we don't. ;)

We'll have to solve these pressing issues another time...

Yes, the team advances, thank you. The girls are definitely an underdog next week in third round, or in their case, the underraptor.
Go Eagles!
What position does she play?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Anyone know this guy’s fanlax handle?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/10/2 ... 60-vpx.cnn
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Interesting perspective of the pandemic so far in the USA

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... urges.html

What Previous Covid-19 Waves Tell Us About the Virus Now

"After another brutal spike in coronavirus cases and deaths this summer — fueled by the Delta variant — infections are declining in the United States, down 50 percent from their peak in September.

Experts say what comes next is hard to predict, and we often do not know why the virus spreads the way it does. But looking back at the outbreak so far can provide some clues about how the virus may spread in the future."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 am Anyone know this guy’s fanlax handle?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/10/2 ... 60-vpx.cnn
Probably someone who inherited wealth and cheers for a school he didn’t attend. That type of guy for sure-private school, dishonest…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

For anyone interested, Vanity Fair's take:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/10 ... h-in-wuhan
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:06 am For anyone interested, Vanity Fair's take:

“The letter from the NIH, and an accompanying analysis, stipulated that the virus EcoHealth Alliance was researching could not have sparked the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, given the sizable genetic differences between the two. In a statement issued Wednesday, NIH director Dr. Francis Collins said that his agency “wants to set the record straight” on EcoHealth Alliance’s research, but added that any claims that it could have caused the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic are “demonstrably false.””

Thanks.
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:06 am For anyone interested, Vanity Fair's take:

Classic CYA letter from NIH and blame-shift to Peter Daszak/EcoHealth Alliance.

This sums things up nicely I think:
But the NIH letter—coming after months of congressional demands for more information—seemed to underscore that America’s premier science institute has been less than forthcoming about risky research it has funded and failed to properly monitor. Instead of helping to lead a search for COVID-19’s origins, with the pandemic now firmly in its 19th month, the NIH has circled the wagons, defending its grant system and scientific judgment against a rising tide of questions. “It’s just another chapter in a sad tale of inadequate oversight, disregard for risk, and insensitivity to the importance of transparency,” said Stanford microbiologist Dr. David Relman. “Given all of the sensitivity about this work, it’s difficult to understand why NIH and EcoHealth have still not explained a number of irregularities with the reporting on this grant.”

Zoonotic my a$$...
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:53 pm

But the NIH letter—coming after months of congressional demands for more information—seemed to underscore that America’s premier science institute has been less than forthcoming about risky research it has funded and failed to properly monitor. Instead of helping to lead a search for COVID-19’s origins, with the pandemic now firmly in its 19th month, the NIH has circled the wagons, defending its grant system and scientific judgment against a rising tide of questions. “It’s just another chapter in a sad tale of inadequate oversight, disregard for risk, and insensitivity to the importance of transparency,” said Stanford microbiologist Dr. David Relman. “Given all of the sensitivity about this work, it’s difficult to understand why NIH and EcoHealth have still not explained a number of irregularities with the reporting on this grant.”

Zoonotic my a$$...
So the idea here is that we (America) might be responsible for the virus? You looking for a tax hike to cover the lawsuits, or something, tech? ;)
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:20 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Zoonotic my a$$...
So the idea here is that we (America) might be responsible for the virus? You looking for a tax hike to cover the lawsuits, or something, tech? ;)
Ha... this is a money issue? You're the guy with all the mula (nothing wrong with that of course)...ask yourself.

Seriously, whomever is culpable needs to be identified. Then the GOF sh!t needs to stop. Isn't the human race fragile enough without the existential manipulation of viruses and now hypersonic-nukes too?
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Ha... this is a money issue? You're the guy with all the mula (nothing wrong with that of course)...ask yourself.
I was just kidding around....if we were responsible, that would be one heckuva civll suit!

Sounds like we're fine on that count, but we'll see at some point, I guess.
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Seriously, whomever is culpable needs to be identified. Then the GOF sh!t needs to stop. Isn't the human race fragile enough without the existential manipulation of viruses and now hypersonic-nukes too?
Regulation over free markets, tech? (kidding you again).
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 pm
tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Ha... this is a money issue? You're the guy with all the mula (nothing wrong with that of course)...ask yourself.
I was just kidding around....if we were responsible, that would be one heckuva civll suit!

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:01 pm Seriously, whomever is culpable needs to be identified. Then the GOF sh!t needs to stop. Isn't the human race fragile enough without the existential manipulation of viruses and now hypersonic-nukes too?
Sure you are
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:52 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Sure you are
No, I really am.

How are we going to regulate GOF, or things like cloning in places like China? Or Russia?
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”