Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
youthathletics

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by youthathletics »

This will not disappoint...and super easy. I often use quarters, or a whole chicken cut into pieces or all thighs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

dinner for me tonight: shrimp-guacamole salad topped with onions & cilantro and plantain chips

dessert was a bottle of mango nectar

YUM!!!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, this is just ridiculous! Lobster Newberg, threw it over a little angel hair.
Never realized how easy the "Newberg" is to make...had everything except the
brandy but I'm not feeling like it's lacking anything. Just crazy good. Am thinkin'
I'm eating lobster newberg for less than I'd pay for a dozen wings fer chrissakes.
This is pretty simple...threw a little fresh parmesan on top too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf6hd8x0-Rc
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How much butter do you put in this?

And while I like your meals are you under 2.5-3bills?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't do a whole lot of measuring, a little less than half a stick of butter.
Lobster tail was $5, the rest is tough to put a price on. Maybe a cup/cup an a half of cream, few splashes of sherry (cooking sherry, whole bottle is abt $5.50), cayenne, S & P, nutmeg (get 3 nuts for $1.50), paprika, couple of egg yolks, some shaved parmesan, and the angel hair. $7-9? Gonna make this with shrimp, they're only $3.99/lb right now (which seems pretty crazy to me).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:50 pm Didn't do a whole lot of measuring, a little less than half a stick of butter.
Lobster tail was $5, the rest is tough to put a price on. Maybe a cup/cup an a half of cream, few splashes of sherry (cooking sherry, whole bottle is abt $5.50), cayenne, S & P, nutmeg (get 3 nuts for $1.50), paprika, couple of egg yolks, some shaved parmesan, and the angel hair. $7-9? Gonna make this with shrimp, they're only $3.99/lb right now (which seems pretty crazy to me).
I’m taking about your pant size when I ask about 2.5-3 bills. As in how far into the 40s are you with those good looking meals?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

DMac

Post by DMac »

Oh, sorry. I aint in the 40s, brotha, hangin' in there at abt a 36-37 which is still a few sizes bigger than I was for 95% of my life (had one good habit, liked to work out always did). I don't much care anymore so I aint measuring that butter...or cream either. ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:02 pm Oh, sorry. I aint in the 40s, brotha, hangin' in there at abt a 36-37 which is still a few sizes bigger than I was for 95% of my life (had one good habit, liked to work out always did). I don't much care anymore so I aint measuring that butter...or cream either. ;)
Good stuff
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:21 pm Wow, this is just ridiculous! Lobster Newberg, threw it over a little angel hair.
brandy but I'm not feeling like it's lacking anything. Just crazy good. Am thinkin'
I'm eating lobster newberg for less than I'd pay for a dozen wings fer chrissakes.
I haven’t seen Lobster Newburg in years. Used to be a special dish back in the 60’s. My mom used to make it for me once in a while as I always had expensive tastes. Stouffer’s used to or still does make it in the frozen section. I’m now motivated to make it.

I hope you weren’t using cooking sherry from the super market as that stuff is retched. Better to use a real medium dry sherry labeled as Amontillado. Very versatile for cooking, tasty on the rocks and stays well on the shelf.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Make it, a s, you wont be sorry you did. I hadn't ever made it, really had no idea how to but it's mighty simple and as you know awfully tasty. Won't tell you what kind of sherry I used but nothing tasted retched to me. Couldn't tell you the last time I had lobster newberg so it was something different and a real treat. Went and bought another four of those tails yesterday for twenty bucks, seems like a crazy good deal to me....am all lobstered up now.
Knowing you, you might want to pick up some Irish butter for the dish too....that stuff's quite a treat.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:16 pm Make it, a s, you wont be sorry you did. I hadn't ever made it, really had no idea how to but it's mighty simple and as you know awfully tasty. Won't tell you what kind of sherry I used but nothing tasted retched to me. Couldn't tell you the last time I had lobster newberg so it was something different and a real treat. Went and bought another four of those tails yesterday for twenty bucks, seems like a crazy good deal to me....am all lobstered up now.
Knowing you, you might want to pick up some Irish butter for the dish too....that stuff's quite a treat.
I keep Keri-Gold in stock along with regular butter, always unsalted as I prefer to keep the salting of any dish under my control. Speaking of rich butter, you may want to look for Plugra. It’s a brand with a higher butterfat 82% than table butter 80%. It’s a big difference and absolutely delicious. It’s found in most supermarkets and is often used in professional kitchens.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:02 pm Oh, sorry. I aint in the 40s, brotha, hangin' in there at abt a 36-37 which is still a few sizes bigger than I was for 95% of my life (had one good habit, liked to work out always did). I don't much care anymore so I aint measuring that butter...or cream either. ;)
I’m discovering a new way to eat all the lobster Newburgh you want ans keep that 36. Been putting some 8c MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil in my coffee and popping Hydroxycut in the mornings. The results come in, er, go out fast. Just have a toilet on standby and drink lots of water.

(im in that 36-38 depending on if I have metrosexual euortrash business pants on or normal haggar type stuff at around 6’ 195-200, but had gotten up to 240 last year when my mother was sick and I was driving back and forth to Binghamton eating wings and sitting around a lot plus a lot of drinking offsetting other stuff, must’ve been a 40-42 then)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:50 am
I’m discovering a new way to eat all the lobster Newburgh you want ans keep that 36. Been putting some 8c MCT (medium chain triglycerides) oil in my coffee and popping Hydroxycut in the mornings. The results come in, er, go out fast. Just have a toilet on standby and drink lots of water.

(im in that 36-38 depending on if I have metrosexual euortrash business pants on or normal haggar type stuff at around 6’ 195-200, but had gotten up to 240 last year when my mother was sick and I was driving back and forth to Binghamton eating wings and sitting around a lot plus a lot of drinking offsetting other stuff, must’ve been a 40-42 then)
Have you tried Ivermectin. Stuff works wonders on anything.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:50 am

Have you tried Ivermectin. Stuff works wonders on anything.
I've been known to try anything once...
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:21 pm Wow, this is just ridiculous! Lobster Newberg, threw it over a little angel hair.
Hey DMac.....curious, I thought you were a lefty, so why's the fork on the right side of the plate? :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Good eye, youth. I sat next to the old man at the table and he wasn't having any part of that elbow bumping stuff so he made me eat right handed (plus he knew it didn't make much difference to me). I do butter my bread left handed though (elbow tight). ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:42 pm Good eye, youth. I sat next to the old man at the table and he wasn't having any part of that elbow bumping stuff so he made me eat right handed (plus he knew it didn't make much difference to me). I do butter my bread left handed though (elbow tight). ;)
But is it buttered right side up?!?! If not we got words!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Butter_Battle_Book
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Jesus h Christ

My daughter won’t eat anything ever except a limited menu.

Marinaded the s**t out of some chicken breast w spiedie sauce like 4.5 days deep. Cooked it perfectly with crisp exterior and juicy and tasty inside. She “tried it” and doesn’t like it because “it’s tooo juicyyy..”

What the heck is wrong with her? Only thing on her plate sheas eaten is the pierogies but won’t touch pesto pasta (hot) or black eyed peas. Son is tearing it all up. This girl aint right-as they say down here.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Inquiring minds (and my children) want to know

Are There Enough Strawberries in a Kellogg’s Strawberry Pop-Tart? A Court Might Decide
Lawsuit asks for $5 million in relief, claiming the toaster pastries actually contain more pears and apples; ‘non-strawberry fruit ingredients’
Kellogg's Frosted Strawberrry Pop-Tarts. MOMENT EDITORIAL/GETTY IMAGES
man and Jennifer Calfas
Oct. 25, 2021 8:19 pm ET

What’s in a Pop-Tart? Not enough strawberries, according to lawsuits filed against Kellogg Co. , which makes the pantry staple.

Over the past year, at least three lawsuits have been filed claiming the brand’s strawberry-flavored varieties don’t contain enough actual strawberries relative to other, lesser-known fruit ingredients.

The latest suit, filed in the Southern District of New York last week and focused on Pop-Tart’s “Whole Grain Frosted Strawberry” flavor, alleges that the products contain more pears and apples than strawberries. The case asks for $5 million in relief.

A separate complaint filed in federal court in Illinois in August raised similar concerns over “Frosted Strawberry” Pop-Tarts.

“The Product’s common or usual name of ‘Whole Grain Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries,’ is false, deceptive, and misleading, because it contains mostly non-strawberry fruit ingredients,” according to the latest Pop-Tart complaint.

A spokesperson for Kellogg said the company doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

Sam Hahn, a messenger based outside Los Angeles, said he discovered Kellogg’s strawberry Pop-Tarts as a child at school, and they remain his favorite to this day. The news, though, came as a bit of a shock.

“There’s apple and pear in strawberry Pop-Tarts?” said Mr. Hahn, 36. “It’s like you just told me there’s no Santa Claus.” Though surprised, Mr. Hahn said he wasn’t offended by the presence of the other fruit. “If there was raw meat or something crazy in there, that’s one thing,” he said. “When you eat a Pop-Tart, you know it isn’t organic or vegan.”

The lawsuits, all filed by a Great Neck, N.Y.-based lawyer named Spencer Sheehan, take aim at a food brand that has survived decades’ worth of shifting consumer tastes and dietary trends. Sales of Pop-Tarts have climbed for decades, their convenience and nostalgia factor helping the crinkly foil-wrapped pastries thrive despite other sugary breakfast products falling by the wayside.

Mr. Sheehan said one goal of the lawsuits, which are seeking class-action status, is to push Kellogg to modify its labeling.

“Nobody’s saying that you expected to get everything from a strawberry. You’re not eating a fresh strawberry, obviously,” Mr. Sheehan said. “But if you’re going to call it strawberry, you either ought to have all strawberries in there or just call it something else,” he said.

Ashley Profitt, a housekeeper in Boone, N.C., said the lawsuits’ charges appeared to confirm her long-held suspicions. “They’re very minuscule with the amount of strawberry they put in there,” said Ms. Profitt, 24.

While Ms. Profitt said she still enjoys eating Pop-Tarts on occasion, she said she’s always wished they contained more fruit filling. She said she recently has been baking more of her own food, including banana and pumpkin bread, which she said provide her complete control over produce levels.

Label-scrutinizing consumers and attorneys have taken other products to court, including over whether they can be considered natural and also whether or not they are bread. Last year, the Supreme Court of Ireland found the bread sold by sandwich chain Subway couldn't be considered as such under the republic’s 1972 Value-Added Tax Act, which defines bread as a product in which sugar can’t make up more than 2% of the weight of flour used for its dough.

At Subway, sugar makes up 10% of the weight of the flour in its dough, according to the judgment, placing it outside of Ireland’s legal definition, the court said.

The bread “is, of course, bread,” the company said at the time. A representative for Subway didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.

Pop-Tarts were a staple in Steve Conaway’s college diet as a student at Kansas State University. “I probably couldn’t have graduated without them,” said Mr. Conaway, now a banker and farmer living in northern Kansas. He said he is partial to Pop-Tart flavors such as brown sugar cinnamon and cookies and crème.

As for strawberry Pop-Tarts, “never at once did I ever think I was eating real strawberries,” said the 25-year-old, who said he rarely looks at the packaging for what he eats and considers the pastries a good grab-and-go snack. “It would be like eating a strawberry doughnut and thinking you’re getting your fruit in as well.”

Jeff Norman, of Ridgewood, N.J., said he saw news of the lawsuit while scrolling through Twitter last week. “We need Pop Tort reform,” he wrote in response to a tweet about the new lawsuit. “Been saying it for years.”

The 54-year-old says he hasn’t had a Pop-Tart since childhood. But the play on words had to be shared. “I figured tort reform is something that’s on everyone’s minds,” he said Monday. “‘Pop-Tart’ and ‘tort’ just popped in my head.”

The lawsuit focusing on the Whole Grain Frosted Strawberry Pop-Tart claims the product’s labeling violates state consumer fraud laws, and leads consumers to believe it’s a higher-quality product. The 19-page complaint cites similar frosted strawberry toaster pastry products from other companies that include notes on the packaging denoting that those products are “Naturally & Artificially Flavored.”

Mr. Sheehan said reasonable consumers aren’t expecting to find an actual fresh strawberry in the flat pastry. Still, he said: “Don’t call it strawberries if it’s mostly pears and apples. Those are great fruits, they deserve credit.”

In addition to the Pop-Tart lawsuits, Mr. Sheehan said he has filed similar lawsuits against the makers of other foods, including toaster pastries and breakfast bars. As part of his research, he said he has bought cases of Pop-Tarts, which he often winds up eating himself or giving away in an effort not to overindulge.

“They taste good,” Mr. Sheehan said. “I like them.”

Write to Jesse Newman at [email protected] and Jennifer Calfas at [email protected]

Copyright ©2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 87990cbe856818d5eddac44c7b1cdeb8
Appeared in the October 26, 2021, print edition as 'Questions Pop Up About How Many Strawberries Are in a Pop-Tart.'
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

this interesting program was presented locally last night on PBS:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/edible-insects/

I'd try some of that cricket but will happily leave the rest for all else :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”