Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

IL sent Kinnear to do a nice writeup of the towson/princeton matchup last weekend which makes me kind of think they'll have someone at homewood. It doesn't sound from some of your posts and the earlier writeups like it'll be a full blown dress rehearsal so I'm thinking we'll learn more about the sophomore midfielders and some of the newer faces down the depth chart. Of course there's also ohio state/syracuse sunday.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 pm
'22s Collison (Canada) and Marquis (Iroquois) and '23 Jewell (USA) are playing in the U18 Brogden Cup games this weekend—you can stream those for free on LSN tomorrow morning.
Brogden Cup is now archived on Lax Sports Network.

Its hard to see where Collison is not top 20 in that class.
I don’t know what the ratings guys are smoking, but I’d
like some of that.

Not fair projecting, but you can just imagine how much
Collison could improve with Grant Jr insider instruction.

Collison is DI All American, waiting to happen.
Hard to disagree with this. Great Canadian indoor style player with a massive shot suited for the outdoor game. Could easily be a Peyton Cormier or Cloutier type of guy but adds something extra with that outside shot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:26 am IL sent Kinnear to do a nice writeup of the towson/princeton matchup last weekend which makes me kind of think they'll have someone at homewood. It doesn't sound from some of your posts and the earlier writeups like it'll be a full blown dress rehearsal so I'm thinking we'll learn more about the sophomore midfielders and some of the newer faces down the depth chart. Of course there's also ohio state/syracuse sunday.
IL will be there and should have a write-up shortly after, though since they're covering all of the teams present and not just Hopkins it probably won't have the excruciatingly specific detail/roster analysis that some of us would like.

Do not expect Narewski to play this weekend. Should be a good opportunity for the freshman Callahan. Some key offensive players have been banged up at one point or another in the fall with minor injuries so I'm not sure how stocked the cupboard will be on Sunday. And with Peshko playing in the Sixes tournament we could be seeing a lot of the next-in-line guys. Goalie battle will be something to watch—could see all four guys each get a half to themselves.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:13 am [quote=jhu06 post_id=302168 time=<a href="tel:1634822787">1634822787</a> user_id=355]
IL sent Kinnear to do a nice writeup of the towson/princeton matchup last weekend which makes me kind of think they'll have someone at homewood. It doesn't sound from some of your posts and the earlier writeups like it'll be a full blown dress rehearsal so I'm thinking we'll learn more about the sophomore midfielders and some of the newer faces down the depth chart. Of course there's also ohio state/syracuse sunday.
IL will be there and should have a write-up shortly after, though since they're covering all of the teams present and not just Hopkins it probably won't have the excruciatingly specific detail/roster analysis that some of us would like.

Do not expect Narewski to play this weekend. Should be a good opportunity for the freshman Callahan. Some key offensive players have been banged up at one point or another in the fall with minor injuries so I'm not sure how stocked the cupboard will be on Sunday. And with Peshko playing in the Sixes tournament we could be seeing a lot of the next-in-line guys. Goalie battle will be something to watch—could see all four guys each get a half to themselves.
[/quote]

Agree I’m most interested in goalie play and absolutely dying to get reports on Stuart Phillips who I keep hearing is the best freshman player on campus in a long time.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

“You're right - there's alot I don't understand such as about 100% of anything you post because you feel the need to speak in riddles and act like you are the smartest guy in the room - the only one with the applicable inside info. Very tiresome act”. Sophomoric

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Most intelligent people listen to data that is new to them and then integrate it not you though. In relation to your knowledge base i am the smartest guy in the room. I am far from the only guy in the room with certain information, Greshams’s law. You represent the bad money. You don’t know what you don't know and you apparently couldn’t handle it even if you did. None of the people who do have a pretty good grasp of the reality post here anymore,

My knowledge of Hopkins both relative to the institution and the lax program is very deep. I would not bother with this stream wetecit not for scurrilous assertions being made.

I am reminded that in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

Carry on. Drink if you must. Turning out the light.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It was only a matter of time before OC went full-on Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

That's nice to hear re: Phillips—slick Canadian middie who was captain at Trinity-Pawling and performed well in the BCJALL this summer. (As did Charboneau.) Roster says he's #24 but I noticed he was wearing #19 in one of the practice photos. I wonder if they're giving that number out to a freshman now as a way to honor Jeremy Huber? I had thought they informally retired it.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:51 am Turning out the light.
We can only hope
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Great name and another one from Mass
4⭐️ junior Charlie Hazard '23, LSM, Belmont Hill (Mass.) / @LXCMinutemen has committed to @JHUmenslacrosse. Helping make up excellent defensive units for Laxachusetts and the Sextants, Hazard showed off great wheels, GB work and tenacity this summer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mrfNCJ ... seConnolly
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/14 ... 3425021954
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 am I had thought they informally retired it.
Could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere a while ago that no one would wear the number during the years he would have been in school - which would have ended in '18 I guess but maybe Petro just kept it going.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:00 am I had thought they informally retired it.
Could be wrong but I thought I read somewhere a while ago that no one would wear the number during the years he would have been in school - which would have ended in '18 I guess but maybe Petro just kept it going.
Nobody wore the number while Huber would have been in school. After that it was voted on by players Kuhn wore it first and then Forry Smith I believe. Last year didn’t happen. I’m not sure why
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 am Stuart Phillips who I keep hearing is the best freshman player on campus in a long time
I realize informal reports during fall practice are perhaps not the best indicator of future performance but the statement above is remarkable simply for the fact that the current team has a player who set the freshmen scoring record just 3 years ago. Another interesting point about Phillips - typically today you can youtube search a high school player and gets season highlight after season highlight - there is almost nothing on Phillips.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 pm
It was definitely temporary while his class was still in school.
If they permanently retired numbers at Hopkins, they wouldn't have any left.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:52 am
flalax22 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:30 am Stuart Phillips who I keep hearing is the best freshman player on campus in a long time
I realize informal reports during fall practice are perhaps not the best indicator of future performance but the statement above is remarkable simply for the fact that the current team has a player who set the freshmen scoring record just 3 years ago. Another interesting point about Phillips - typically today you can youtube search a high school player and gets season highlight after season highlight - there is almost nothing on Phillips.
Check HUDL...a good amount of lacrosse and football highlights...
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think most of the youtube stuff comes from the US club circuit, and I don't think he was a big participant. I have some familiarity with the TP program - Phillips is a very good player and apparently a really great kid, but I'm a little surprised he's the one frosh being hyped. Hope I'm wrong.

I think it's going to be very interesting going forward to see how these classes develop. They're definitely not full of over-hyped, IL top-rated kids - there are a lot of under the radar types, like Phillips. PM was fairly successful with these types at Cornell (though having Jeff Teat certainly helped), and I am optimistic that this staff can actually develop kids, but maybe there are good reasons why these kids were under the radar. Very curious to see if PM be competitive with UMd and the ACC schools with recruiting classes that look very different from their classes. If he can, then the program is really set.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Ty Xanders on Twitter
4 star senior Brooks English '22, M, Lawrenceville (N.J.) has flipped from
@BrownLacrosse
to
@JHUmenslacrosse
. A tough, crafty & athletic Burlington (Ont.) product with great bloodlines, English fought through injuries last season to finish on a high note: https://insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/p ... commitment
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:42 pm
I think most of the youtube stuff comes from the US club circuit, and I don't think he was a big participant. I have some familiarity with the TP program - Phillips is a very good player and apparently a really great kid, but I'm a little surprised he's the one frosh being hyped. Hope I'm wrong.

I think it's going to be very interesting going forward to see how these classes develop. They're definitely not full of over-hyped, IL top-rated kids - there are a lot of under the radar types, like Phillips. PM was fairly successful with these types at Cornell (though having Jeff Teat certainly helped), and I am optimistic that this staff can actually develop kids, but maybe there are good reasons why these kids were under the radar. Very curious to see if PM be competitive with UMd and the ACC schools with recruiting classes that look very different from their classes. If he can, then the program is really set.
That is absolutely the question. So far PM recruiting looks VERY different from Petros. Looking at the athletes recruited and their highlight tapes I have to admit it’s rare I’m blown away. I’m also aware that it’s about what they look like in college not in High School that matters so I’m hoping that PM is a good predictor of future potential and how guys will pan out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:07 pm Ty Xanders on Twitter
@BrownLacrosse
to
@JHUmenslacrosse
. A tough, crafty & athletic Burlington (Ont.) product with great bloodlines, English fought through injuries last season to finish on a high note: https://insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/p ... commitment
You simply love to see it
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 pm
@BrownLacrosse
to
@JHUmenslacrosse
I do. I don't know enough about these kids to judge with any degree of certainty, but I am excited by what I see and the recent activity level.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:42 pm
@BrownLacrosse
to
@JHUmenslacrosse
I do. I don't know enough about these kids to judge with any degree of certainty, but I am excited by what I see and the recent activity level.
Haven’t seen a whole lot of this kid but the English family are basically the Stanwicks of Canada. Anywho it’s nice to get a big-name flip from the Ivy League after we lost out on Chauvette’s brother to Yale.

Does feel like there’s a bit of a momentum and buzz with the program right now. And that’s coming off a losing season. Imagine if they actually start winning.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... more/50634

IL's fall ball recap from a few years ago. Wasn't completely off and they got a lot of the freshmen right in terms of the roles they would eventually play. Not bad.

their tinney evaluation was pretty dead on.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kins/29957

School announced Bloomberg gave another 45 million for a center for local governance. Some of his ideas go way over my head, but this one sounds smart and practical.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2021/10/20/bloomber ... nnovation/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”