Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK25

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by HGK25 »

HGK25 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:39 pm Georgetown adds it’s 3rd top 10 commit in the ‘23 class with overall #7,pole Ty Banks. Along with a few very legit non top 10 commits, this is shaping up as an incredibly strong class for the Hoyas.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 pm All great but this trio....

https://cuse.com/news/2006/10/27/powells.aspx
Wow!! Fantastic article, thanks for sharing!!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:14 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:08 am
HGK25 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:00 am And Kelly from Calvert Hall also a great addition
Are there any more Kelly's left after this? I think they have the Stanwick's beat at this point... :lol: :lol:

Joe
Believe there is at least one
3 more
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 pm All great but this trio....

https://cuse.com/news/2006/10/27/powells.aspx
Wow!! Fantastic article, thanks for sharing!!
Callax,

we moved in May.
We’re back east now.

Hope all the Cal’s are doing well
and I look forward to seeing the younger
do well this year,
glad he landed at a great school.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

If my memory is correct G-Town and a few other schools have had top rank classes before and it didn't result in championships. I am not saying this team with its future commits won't do well, I am trying to figure out how well of an indicator is the present lacrosse ranking system on future team success . Anyone have data on this?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 am If my memory is correct G-Town and a few other schools have had top rank classes before and it didn't result in championships. I am not saying this team with its future commits won't do well, I am trying to figure out how well of an indicator is the present lacrosse ranking system on future team success . Anyone have data on this?
Well documented when they got this heralded #1 class including Broncaccio and while GTown Prep has had many great players it felt like they were getting smitten with themselves by late 2000s. Best player in that era overall IMO was Nick Mirabito from Chenango Forks but those high ranked classes were different than the Brodie Merrill and Walid Hajj types that Urick built the program on it seemed to me.

So yes it’s a risk to lean on rankings and theres always 1-2 schools that have this momentum and get highly rated kids who don’t produce, at least as a team, at the higher levels. Think Michigan was one most of this last decade. UNC many years after Breschi got there and I think it’s happened to ND as well. Common theme in all sports to get access to some of the top HS kids after building success on the backs of more grinders and workers who maybe haven’t been given all the advantages and then miscalculate on who they take. Does this mean it’ll happen to GTown again? Who knows but it’s fair to question the rankings. Especially when the last 2yrs or so are influences by less travel and less games to see.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 am
Old&InTheWay wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 am If my memory is correct G-Town and a few other schools have had top rank classes before and it didn't result in championships. I am not saying this team with its future commits won't do well, I am trying to figure out how well of an indicator is the present lacrosse ranking system on future team success . Anyone have data on this?
Well documented when they got this heralded #1 class including Broncaccio and while GTown Prep has had many great players it felt like they were getting smitten with themselves by late 2000s. Best player in that era overall IMO was Nick Mirabito from Chenango Forks but those high ranked classes were different than the Brodie Merrill and Walid Hajj types that Urick built the program on it seemed to me.

So yes it’s a risk to lean on rankings and theres always 1-2 schools that have this momentum and get highly rated kids who don’t produce, at least as a team, at the higher levels. Think Michigan was one most of this last decade. UNC many years after Breschi got there and I think it’s happened to ND as well. Common theme in all sports to get access to some of the top HS kids after building success on the backs of more grinders and workers who maybe haven’t been given all the advantages and then miscalculate on who they take. Does this mean it’ll happen to GTown again? Who knows but it’s fair to question the rankings. Especially when the last 2yrs or so are influences by less travel and less games to see.
Mirabito, huge name in Upstate NY. I assume he is a member of this family?
Joe
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Here you open with Penn
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Believe we open with Hopkins, then Penn and ND to start. Think we are Penn’s first game. Might be wrong but think that is the case.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HGK25 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 pm Believe we open with Hopkins, then Penn and ND to start. Think we are Penn’s first game. Might be wrong but think that is the case.
We're opening with Towson on 2/11, so if true then this game is probably 2/19. Slightly terrified of the Hoyas but looking forward to adding another top team to the schedule.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:18 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 am

Mirabito, huge name in Upstate NY. I assume he is a member of this family?
Joe
Yes the retail and jobber company up near my old hood. Had seen the stations for years and asked the question a few years back myself.

But if you understood Broome Co and the surrounding areas wealthy is relative. There’s nothing like Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Oyster Bay or the Hamptons within 100mi of that area. Homes values are flat over the last 25yrs and most school districts have enough kids on free and reduced lunches to qualify as CRA assessment areas.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:12 pm
HGK25 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:06 pm Believe we open with Hopkins, then Penn and ND to start. Think we are Penn’s first game. Might be wrong but think that is the case.
We're opening with Towson on 2/11, so if true then this game is probably 2/19. Slightly terrified of the Hoyas but looking forward to adding another top team to the schedule.
Understood, so while still wealthy, nothing like what you see on LI and in Northern NJ (Alpine NJ)

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:32 pm
Understood, so while still wealthy, nothing like what you see on LI and in Northern NJ (Alpine NJ)

Joe
Like the car heater works wealthy playing against kids who may be homeless or don’t value life nearly as much as you do all the time.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

What are those dates out of curiosity. Thanks.
“I wish you would!”
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Unfortunately don’t know the dates but believe that’s the opening 3 games. As mentioned above Hopkins Georgetown may be 2/19.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:49 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Joe
Like the car heater works wealthy playing against kids who may be homeless or don’t value life nearly as much as you do all the time.
When did the economic downfall in that area start? Late 70's/Early 80's?

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seems like 80s but probably late 60s early 70s. Not a far cry from what you see in Out of the Furnace. Scranton an hour due south on I81 about the same as is Syracuse 1hr north up 81
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:50 pm Seems like 80s but probably late 60s early 70s. Not a far cry from what you see in Out of the Furnace. Scranton an hour due south on I81 about the same as is Syracuse 1hr north up 81
Interesting, Out of the Furnace was a great movie. I'd imagine there are some real unsavory types just like Woody's take on Harlan DeGroat. Real frightening guy. Great movie. Thanks for the enlightenment didn't realize it's been that long of a downturn.

Joe
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

With a late addition to their ‘22 class as @WestCoastStarz faceoff midfielder Wilson Van Buren (Blessed Trinity Catholic, Ga.) flips from Dartmouth to the Hoyas.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:50 pm Seems like 80s but probably late 60s early 70s. Not a far cry from what you see in Out of the Furnace. Scranton an hour due south on I81 about the same as is Syracuse 1hr north up 81
Interesting, Out of the Furnace was a great movie. I'd imagine there are some real unsavory types just like Woody's take on Harlan DeGroat. Real frightening guy. Great movie. Thanks for the enlightenment didn't realize it's been that long of a downturn.

Joe
Excellent movie. It had had been on my “to watch” list for years. Hell or High Water is also on my list…have you watched it?
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”