D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Boston College

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Imagine this? All the way from Norway!

OuttaNowhereWregget

It's remarkable to me that players from Europe named Boston College as their favorite team and Charlotte North (for the player from the Norway national team anyway) their favorite player. I'm amazed they have access to the games "across the pond". The player from Norway even has a BC shirt. I know the sport is global but I didn't realize the appeal of NCAA women's lacrosse reached that far. I'm glad, and really looking forward to the games next July.

Lacrossetheworld

Post by Lacrossetheworld »

Speaking as a UK resident here. We have access to ESPN, and consequently the ACC Digital Network and others. Still trying to find a replacement for Big Ten network as after the dissolution of Big ten 2go the games are geo barred. I try to watch at least 2 games a week in season. BC are on the list, along with UNC, Northwestern and Maryland. we used to have watch parties with my old team and loved picking up new moves. College lacrosse is very different to our university lacrosse in terms of funding, kit, transport, with few scholarships of any real import. One day I’m coming to watch live!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lacrossetheworld wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:41 pm Speaking as a UK resident here. We have access to ESPN, and consequently the ACC Digital Network and others. Still trying to find a replacement for Big Ten network as after the dissolution of Big ten 2go the games are geo barred. I try to watch at least 2 games a week in season. BC are on the list, along with UNC, Northwestern and Maryland. we used to have watch parties with my old team and loved picking up new moves. College lacrosse is very different to our university lacrosse in terms of funding, kit, transport, with few scholarships of any real import. One day I’m coming to watch live!
That's fascinating. When and how did you first discover lacrosse? How did you discover this website? (Clever username by the way.)

Have you tried Big 10 plus? see if you can view this page:

https://www.btnplus.com/schedule?sid=WLX&day=2020-01-26

Another suggestion I'll offer is following the Twitter accounts of the teams you're interested in watching (which you probably already do) because on gameday the team will usually post the link for the game--and sometimes their opponent will post the link. Some are very good, like Johns Hopkins for instance. Their HOPTV streams are fairly high quality. Here's a short example:

OuttaNowhereWregget

A few stray Eagle thoughts during hot stove…

The starting 7 on the offensive end for BC last year graduated one in Cara Urbank. Everyone else is back:

A Charlotte North
A Caitlynn Mossman
A Jenn Medjid
M Belle Smith
M Courtney Weeks
M Cassidy Weeks

I see the top 4 on this list as written in ink. Annabelle Hasselbeck and Annie Walsh were off the bench for the offense to give the Weeks sisters a blow now and again. Maybe there were others but as I'm rewatching the BC Final Four games I haven't noticed. Do either of them start next year? Among the promising incoming frosh class, Mallory Hasselbeck and Summer Agostino are potential starters for next season too—we shall see.

I never looked up Temple transfer Courtney Taylor's numbers or paid much attention when the announcement was made but she is a total stud on defense. She racked up Lizzie Colson type numbers last year with 67 ground balls, 42 caused turnovers and 58 draw controls. She also got 9 (yikes!) yellow cards but no denying she’s a force on the defensive end, the draw circle and “between the 30’s”. Added to the already impressive corps of defenders led by Hollie Schleicher, Sydney Scales, Hunter Roman and Melanie Welch, they ought to be a formidable bunch if they stay aggressive. They were frickin sharks last year during championship weekend.

It’s going to be awfully interesting to watch this team over the ’22 season.

Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

BC can score with any team in the country. Once again it will come down to defense. The core defensive group is young and talented. Will be interesting to see how much better they can be with another year of maturity and confidence, and an AA transfer. I also think their middies will be even better on the defensive end.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In rewatching the Eagles 2021 Final Four games over the long weekend, it was easy to spot Mallory Hasselbeck in the stands. During the championship game, Mallory was wearing her sister Annabelle's number 4. Made me wonder which number she'll (pick?/be assigned?) wear for BC. Their father Matt Hasselbeck, who had a pretty good career as QB with the Seattle Seahawks (among other teams), wore #8 for most of his career, but uh...that number's already taken. As we have seen in the sisters in lacrosse world, sometimes the younger exceeds the elder (Jamie/Nikki Ortega). I wonder how it will be with the Hasselbeck's. Really looking forward to seeing them play in '22. The season can't get here soon enough...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:16 pm BC can score with any team in the country. Once again it will come down to defense. The core defensive group is young and talented. Will be interesting to see how much better they can be with another year of maturity and confidence, and an AA transfer. I also think their middies will be even better on the defensive end.
I always assumed Scales was a defender. Yes—BC’s midfielders are really something: Schleicher, Smith, the Weeks sisters, Scales. We’ll see what A. Hasselbeck is like with a year under her belt.
OuttaNowhereWregget

BC sporting some interesting new jerseys in practice.

OuttaNowhereWregget

This is the second picture I’ve seen this fall of Belle Smith in the draw circle. Who knows, the Eagles may be planning to take some of the draw burden off North‘s shoulders for ‘22.

OuttaNowhereWregget

The 2022 roster is posted on BC’s website. Interesting that the younger Hasselbeck has been given jersey number 2. They must think highly of her. Only 5 froshies cracked the lineup.

https://bceagles.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster/2022
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 pm The 2022 roster is posted on BC’s website. Interesting that the younger Hasselbeck has been given jersey number 2. They must think highly of her. Only 5 froshies cracked the lineup.

https://bceagles.com/sports/womens-lacrosse/roster/2022
I don’t understand the connection between number 2 and thinking highly of a player. Explain??
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

The explanation is, the number was available. No one wore #2 last 2 seasons.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I think the assumption being made is that Sam Apuzzo was #2. As far as I know BC hasn't announced #2 as a legacy number like SU Men's #22. IMHO that is a reach.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm I think the assumption being made is that Sam Apuzzo was #2. As far as I know BC hasn't announced #2 as a legacy number like SU Men's #22. IMHO that is a reach.
Oh, OK; I had forgotten that Sam was No. 2. Not sure I'd read anything into the number assignment.

The SU number has become a burden.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

"The SU number has become a burden"

That's an understatement.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:07 pm
tothedraw wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:24 pm I think the assumption being made is that Sam Apuzzo was #2. As far as I know BC hasn't announced #2 as a legacy number like SU Men's #22. IMHO that is a reach.
Oh, OK; I had forgotten that Sam was No. 2. Not sure I'd read anything into the number assignment.

Yeah, my friend's son is going to be wearing that number in 2 years. The legacy is great, but the weight of the legacy can be overwhelming in terms of expectations. My friend's son will do just fine. Hopefully.

I agree about the #2 at BC. Other than Apuzzo, I don't believe the number has any real legacy to it.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 pm

Yeah, my friend's son is going to be wearing that number in 2 years. The legacy is great, but the weight of the legacy can be overwhelming in terms of expectations. My friend's son will do just fine. Hopefully.

I agree about the #2 at BC. Other than Apuzzo, I don't believe the number has any real legacy to it.
An 18 year old shouldn't be burdened with the consolidated legacy of Gary Gait, Charlie Lockwood, Casey Powell, Michael Powell, Ryan Powell and Dan Hardy and the ten national championships they won wearing it. Joey should start with another number. Gait did. Ryan Powell did.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:38 pm

Joey Spallina? 22 is a foregone conclusion for him.

Joe
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Tangent alert: from '88-'10 SU won 11 National Titles with All Americans wearing that number, including the 3 Powell brothers. That's a legacy. I think Spallina was raised to handle that burden :D

Looking forward to watching the loaded for bear BC offense in action this coming season. AWW has her work cut out for her, using all those weapons.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”