Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

As history will show - I almost never ever agree with Doc B - and while on the surface of it the Hopkins policy appears as an over abundance of caution given we are now letting college/pro stadiums and arenas gather at full capacity along with many other congregations of people - I doubt the policy is a) totally without merit (as Doc pointed out we have lost 700,000+ people) b) designed to constrain the men's lacrosse program. This virus has unfortunately shown the ability to generate new variants and is hideously contagious - I can hear my mother - and countless other mom's - "Just because Johnny jumped off the roof doesn't mean......" So any policy directed at keeping people safe - whether it's too cautious or not - or concerned with litigation or whatever - cannot be dismissed out of hand.

As far as lax alumni - IMHO they have had their say - Petro is gone and hopefully he is happy and healthy up in Syracuse. One picture I saw of him - again IMO - showed him looking possibly lighter and healthier than I have seen him in a while. Daniels is not going anywhere - and Baker would not appear to be either. They are the only 2 people that had anything to do with this. Milliman/Jr/Special K and especially the players should receive nothing but support - especially from the people who wore the same uniform.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:55 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:08 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:36 pm If by bubble you are referencing a lax bubble Daniels already killed one that was fully paid for. Can it now get done?
What would be a rational reason for killing a fully funded bubble over the practice field? Assume that's where it would go and not homewood.
Well I’d hate to speculate but I suspect it’s because a few people in the administration were no fans of the former Men’s Lacrosse Head Coach and weren’t looking to help him out.
Please … I believe Petro received a contract extension in 2015 after the supposed grudge with President Daniels began. I think if some things were different … a more recent Final Four appearance, no NCAA violations, etc. … Petro would still be on the sidelines.

DocBarrister
I believe that extension came from Calder. But you’re right Doc the new AD, her sidekick who became the AD and Daniels just loved Petro, his style and attitude. no complaints or concerns. It was all about Ws and Ls.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:28 am the new AD, her sidekick who became the AD and Daniels just loved Petro, his style and attitude. no complaints or concerns. It was all about Ws and Ls.
I guess fla... I just don't get the point - who cares who loved whom? What was David's role in all this? Even his most ardent supporters will admit he can be a little surly and dominant when he wants to be - and he usually wants to be. It certainly was not the case that folks were completely happy with the performance on the field. I did a numerical analysis of his tenure in a post long ago and IIRC his winning percentage went from 78% in his first 8/9 years to 58/59% in his last half with his last 5 years being something around 52%. 2020 was headed to a just as bad if not worse outcome than Milliman's season given the fact they probably would have missed the BIG tournament. Plenty of posters here were calling for a change so it is not like it totally came out of left field.

I have heard and then inferred that Daniels was not a fan of how 2013 turned out. Total conjecture on my part - but hearing that Daniels was in favor of cancelling the entire season and the reason the rolling suspensions were created was in part because Petro called in some big alumi guns as back-up artillery. Obviously, David was tied in part to Calder - would not have been happy with however that went down - and Alanna and he did not go to Christmas dinners with each other. But Daniels did allow the contract extension in '15 - they did not screw with his recruiting (could have easily done so) and he still ruled the roost in athletics - didn't a helicopter once clear the field for practice during the Northeast snowmageddon? So I do not see how it can be said that they set him up for failure and then chopped his head off.

I was always in the tank for Petro - his list of accomplishments and contributions to Hopkins lacrosse is virtually unprecedented - but I was getting the Spidey sense that the message had run its course and perhaps it was time for change. It certainly did not go down with not enough O's in smooth that's for sure but given the circumstances of the virus - the timing IMO was absolutely required. Now if they really took away a couple months of salary with the "season ending" clause - as Wombat claimed - then that is chicken you know what - what they should have done is given him a bonus for his service.

But whether you think it was necessary or you think the bad guys won this battle and Hopkins as a program and institution will lose the war - it's done. It's been done for almost 18 months. Time to cheer for the new guys.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peshko was added to Canada's Sixes team for this weekend. Don't know what that means for his participation in our scrimmages. I'd expect the Jays to be at significantly less than full strength on Sunday. A bunch of guys are banged up though I've heard, thankfully (for now), that none are season-enders. Hearing some positive things about Grimes' play this preseason.

I don't know anything about Hobart this year—perhaps our pal geneva can fill us in on what to expect from the Statesmen. Meanwhile Richmond's Lanchbury will be a handful for Lyne et al to cover and is a good preview of the kind of talent some of our guys will be seeing for the first time from outside the B1G at UVA, UNC, Cuse, Loyola, GTown, etc.

Time is a flat circle re: the Petro/Daniels/Baker discussion—I have absolutely nothing to add to that that hasn't already been said 68 times by 13 different people since March 2020.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:50 pm
'22s Collison (Canada) and Marquis (Iroquois) and '23 Jewell (USA) are playing in the U18 Brogden Cup games this weekend—you can stream those for free on LSN tomorrow morning.
Brogden Cup is now archived on Lax Sports Network.

Its hard to see where Collison is not top 20 in that class.
I don’t know what the ratings guys are smoking, but I’d
like some of that.

Not fair projecting, but you can just imagine how much
Collison could improve with Grant Jr insider instruction.

Collison is DI All American, waiting to happen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:52 pm Peshko was added to Canada's Sixes team for this weekend. Don't know what that means for his participation in our scrimmages. I'd expect the Jays to be at significantly less than full strength on Sunday. A bunch of guys are banged up though I've heard, thankfully (for now), that none are season-enders. Hearing some positive things about Grimes' play this preseason.

I don't know anything about Hobart this year—perhaps our pal geneva can fill us in on what to expect from the Statesmen. Meanwhile Richmond's Lanchbury will be a handful for Lyne et al to cover and is a good preview of the kind of talent some of our guys will be seeing for the first time from outside the B1G at UVA, UNC, Cuse, Loyola, GTown, etc.

Time is a flat circle re: the Petro/Daniels/Baker discussion—I have absolutely nothing to add to that that hasn't already been said 68 times by 13 different people since March 2020.
You’ll see talent in spots and spurts, some good young inexperienced guys who you’d take and a few upperclassmen the same (Ryan Archer was POY for CNY out of J-D and a top 50-60 IL kid, small but skilled, 5th year bigger attackman who can shoot and pass that was a AA in CO named Tommy Mott, some other kids including a couple of strong experience close D men but questions at SSDM and Goalie). FO is strong as a grinder not a pinch and pop type but found pretty good success. Lot of midfielders but inexperienced of coming off injuries (Herlihy from L-S was good in 20 w 12,1 in 5 games). Hard to tell with younger guys as it’s been so choppy if we have a group like Aslanian, Holden, Knox, Archer etc all in one wave like in 19-20 but it’s possible (example is Connor Durkin from J-D who blasted CNY more productive than Archer as a Jr but didn’t have a Sr HS season or fall ball in 21)

Top offensive players: Archer, Tommy Mott, Derek Madonna (little brother is at Richmond), John Herlihy then a wave of kids w 1-1.5yrs of playing experience in the last 2.5-3yrs who could be very good but missed HS season, missed fall ball and shortened 20-21 seasons missing Syracuse and Cornell games (post 2020 fairly competitive game w Cuse) including:

Chad Bach
Connor Durkin
Anthony Dattellas
Troy Barthelme
Jack Grooms
Zach Delaney (good Cornell recruit we got somehow to flip then injured and missed all of 21)

Close D: Sam Mueller (excellent super senior)
Michael christiansen - NEC All NEC as FR from Bluestar program that solid

Bunch of poles who have wheels and skill but didn’t put it together on clearing and big ? at SSDM.

Midfield will be mix w like 4-5 A/M types in field often. One physical bull in chain shop middie who shoots too much named Brad Simas

If interested here’s the roster.

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... sort=class
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Jen got her direction from Alana. Shortest AD tenure in Hopkins history I think but did not check. The purge started with Calder and continued on to the head coaches over time. These kinds of things are managed over time given the circumstances.

I don’t suggest ignoring the fall out from the hazing incident on staff or recruiting. Calder left his position in 2014/2015. The extension was a fait accompli by then.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OC, she's gone brother. She's not coming back.

Even if there was a so-called "purge," every other sport at Hopkins seems to be doing pretty well with their new head coaches. We can only hope that lacrosse will join the party soon.

FWIW I recently spoke to a fairly high-profile 90s lax alum, I didn't ask about Shanahan but he said he likes Baker—things are definitely different than they used to be but he thinks she knows what she's doing and is committed to seeing a successful lacrosse program. Not surprising that from conversations I've had, the 70s and 90s guys are on board with the new regime while some 80s and 00s alums — ones who either played with or for Petro — have been slower to come around. What I don't get is, a certified Petro Era guy in Koesterer is on staff. Heck he very well may be head coach at Homewood himself some day. Why aren't they giving him their full and unconditional support? If he wasn't philosophically aligned with the program, he wouldn't have accepted the job.

Anyway, winning cures all ills. I just hope these alums aren't making it harder for the team to win. The incessant commentary, both in public and behind closed doors, isn't a great look. Almost as if these guys are doing what's in their power to sabotage the team in order to prove a point that they shouldn't have moved on from Petro? I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories but perceptions of betrayal makes people do stupid things.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Ironic don’t you think. I mean worrying about negative comments and their effect after authoring so many over the few years and so often being factually incorrect.

I have met with Jen, i have family members who are ADs , i have known a couple dozen. For the record I posted and spoke well of her and her dog.

You have this propensity to deal in conspiracy theories yourself.

Facts are not conspiracy theories. Look in a mirror.
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm OC, she's gone brother. She's not coming back.

Even if there was a so-called "purge," every other sport at Hopkins seems to be doing pretty well with their new head coaches. We can only hope that lacrosse will join the party soon.

FWIW I recently spoke to a fairly high-profile 90s lax alum, I didn't ask about Shanahan but he said he likes Baker—things are definitely different than they used to be but he thinks she knows what she's doing and is committed to seeing a successful lacrosse program. Not surprising that from conversations I've had, the 70s and 90s guys are on board with the new regime while some 80s and 00s alums — ones who either played with or for Petro — have been slower to come around. What I don't get is, a certified Petro Era guy in Koesterer is on staff. Heck he very well may be head coach at Homewood himself some day. Why aren't they giving him their full and unconditional support? If he wasn't philosophically aligned with the program, he wouldn't have accepted the job.

Anyway, winning cures all ills. I just hope these alums aren't making it harder for the team to win. The incessant commentary, both in public and behind closed doors, isn't a great look. Almost as if these guys are doing what's in their power to sabotage the team in order to prove a point that they shouldn't have moved on from Petro? I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories but perceptions of betrayal makes people do stupid things.
1. Koesterer doesn’t get the same level of support from those guys for one reason. He’s not Petro.

2. This is bang on and is exactly what I hear from some alumni connected to the program - “ The incessant commentary, both in public and behind closed doors, isn't a great look. Almost as if these guys are doing what's in their power to sabotage the team in order to prove a point that they shouldn't have moved on from Petro? “
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Irony again. Where have you been the last few years if that is a major concern?

You guys sound like “ many people are saying” Ohhh i spoke with a fan from the 90s. Oh Bluto i spoke to a former player.

Clear thinking is not a strength
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 pm Irony again. Where have you been the last few years if that is a major concern?

You guys sound like “ many people are saying” Ohhh i spoke with a fan from the 90s. Oh Bluto i spoke to a former player.

It was Gags. Go talk to him yourself. You're not the only person here with connections
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 pm Ironic don’t you think. I mean worrying about negative comments and their effect after authoring so many over the few years and so often being factually incorrect.

I have met with Jen, i have family members who are ADs , i have known a couple dozen. For the record I posted and spoke well of her and her dog.

First of all, I think most would agree I'm one of the more positive people here regarding the program, unless I'm responding to a jhu06 post which are often difficult to be positive about. Second, there is a HUGE difference you are leaving out. Any negativity I've written here about coaches or administrators has been out of concern for the program and its players. I want what is best for the Hopkins men's lax team. Period. That is where my allegiance is. Not with one person but with the team. You absolutely cannot say the same about some of the alums in the peanut gallery over the last 18 months. They've chosen to side with a single man over the whole of the program. If you didn't know who they were you'd think they were Syracuse fans. That's their prerogative but don't act like it's the same thing as me saying they should have played Cole Williams more his freshman year. Every alum and fan criticizes things but at the end of the day they are still supposed to support and love the team. Meanwhile some of Petro's guys have completely removed their support in the last year and a half. If they talk about Hopkins lax at all it's solely to undermine the new staff. There are exceptions, of course. Harrison and Rabil in particular have been great and that says a lot about them as people considering how close they are to Petro.

I'm glad you like Jen's dog.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:31 pm Calder left his position in 2014/2015. The extension was a fait accompli by then.
Don't let facts ruin your story - the press release announcing Calder was leaving his position as athletic director and moving over to director of alumni programs was dated January 28, 2016 and oh BTW said he wasn't making the switch until July of 2016.
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:31 pm The purge started with Calder and continued on to the head coaches over time.

What "coaches" other than Petro? Still holding onto to the positon Tucker was forced out without putting forth one shred of evidence and contradicting Tucker herself?
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:31 pm Jen got her direction from Alana.
Shanahan was gone a full 10 months before the Petro annoucnement
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:25 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:12 pm Irony again. Where have you been the last few years if that is a major concern?

It was Gags. Go talk to him yourself. You're not the only person here with connections
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 pm Ironic don’t you think. I mean worrying about negative comments and their effect after authoring so many over the few years and so often being factually incorrect.

First of all, I think most would agree I'm one of the more positive people here regarding the program, unless I'm responding to a jhu06 post which are often difficult to be positive about. Second, there is a HUGE difference you are leaving out. Any negativity I've written here about coaches or administrators has been out of concern for the program and its players. I want what is best for the Hopkins men's lax team. Period. That is where my allegiance is. Not with one person but with the team. You absolutely cannot say the same about some of the alums in the peanut gallery over the last 18 months. They've chosen to side with a single man over the whole of the program. If you didn't know who they were you'd think they were Syracuse fans. That's their prerogative but don't act like it's the same thing as me saying they should have played Cole Williams more his freshman year. Every alum and fan criticizes things but at the end of the day they are still supposed to support and love the team. Meanwhile some of Petro's guys have completely removed their support in the last year and a half. If they talk about Hopkins lax at all it's solely to undermine the new staff. There are exceptions, of course. Harrison and Rabil in particular have been great and that says a lot about them as people considering how close they are to Petro.

I'm glad you like Jen's dog.
I don’t have any connections or inside information. What I do know is that the Johns Hopkins athletic program has been achieving spectacular results in multiple sports in recent years. Men’s lacrosse is arguably an exception, but the AD made a change there … which must have been a very difficult decision. Objectively speaking … the results speak for themselves.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

So what is your point? If it is website chat has no affect on programs and recruiting i would agree. If it is Jen is a good AD i would also agree and have said do on here. So…

BTW Hopkins sports were doing quite well for years creating a righteous cycle which creates momentum or inertia
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 pm So what is your point? If it is website chat has no affect on programs and recruiting i would agree. If it is Jen is a good AD i would also agree and have said do on here. So…

BTW Hopkins sports were doing quite well for years creating a righteous cycle which creates momentum or inertia
That’s my point … we have a good AD.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopfan16

The violations coveted a multi year period did they not. 2016-2020 right?

Oddly enough they stopped after Jen came in.

Are you on the JHU payroll?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51%. The pieces fell. That is the reality. I can understand you not understanding running a major university or an athletic department or on general a hostile takeover or merger
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:52 pm So what is your point? If it is website chat has no affect on programs and recruiting i would agree. If it is Jen is a good AD i would also agree and have said do on here. So…

That’s my point … we have a good AD.

DocBarrister :)
My only complaint is how the women's job is being handled. If you are going to allow Janine to announce her retirement in August effective at the end of the season you have to be prepared to name a successor at that time. Going into a new recruiting cycle on 9/1 with no head coach named for next year puts the program in a bind with 2023 recruits. That said they have managed to get 5 commits thankfully due to the draw of a Hopkins education but I believe this situation is completely unprecedented.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

hmmm wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:57 pm My only complaint is how the women's job is being handled. If you are going to allow Janine to announce her retirement in August effective at the end of the season you have to be prepared to name a successor at that time. Going into a new recruiting cycle on 9/1 with no head coach named for next year puts the program in a bind with 2023 recruits. That said they have managed to get 5 commits thankfully due to the draw of a Hopkins education but I believe this situation is completely unprecedented.
That's a fair point. One would think that fact would not escape Janine and she would be addressing it somehow. She would not want to damage the program.
OCanada wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:12 pm I can understand you not understanding running a major university or an athletic department or on general a hostile takeover or merger
You're right - there's alot I don't understand such as about 100% of anything you post because you feel the need to speak in riddles and act like you are the smartest guy in the room - the only one with the applicable inside info. Very tiresome act.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”