D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Patriot League 2022

Post by NovaHound »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:08 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:05 am Covid ex yr ad is temporary that shall eventually pass. Before 2020. the services had the advantage of a prep year (5th) for some that offset some others use of redshirting . Bigger advantage to lead teams today and going forward is the ability to add top talent from transfer portal. Services cant do what Maryland, Duke, ND Rutgers have been and will be doing on a annual basis.

Army student body is geared differently and their demanding curriculum includes daily exercise and sport activity. Their sports teams are in top shape year round. Effort and discipline is never in question and Alberici is a fine coach.
is it an advantage? to win championships? i'm not sure that's what we saw in 2021.
rutgers moved their station in life up for the year. we'll see what the future holds.
Bertrand's 33 points was a bust for the 2020-2021 UVA transfer....had no bearing on their winning. #TransfersMatter
nichtern and hudgins and whoever else will be 5th years this year. they'll be fine.
Army is gonna be a damn good...no shortage of talent, experience, and athleticism there...not that October assessments matter, but I'd favor Army in the PL right now with Loyola a close second
Not gonna make a prediction but Army is good and Nichtern is the best player in the PL. Call me a wishful thinker or big dreamer, but I'd like to see 3 PL teams make the tourney. And yes, one is NOT Lehigh.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:00 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:05 am Covid ex yr ad is temporary that shall eventually pass. Before 2020. the services had the advantage of a prep year (5th) for some that offset some others use of redshirting . Bigger advantage to lead teams today and going forward is the ability to add top talent from transfer portal. Services cant do what Maryland, Duke, ND Rutgers have been and will be doing on a annual basis.

Army student body is geared differently and their demanding curriculum includes daily exercise and sport activity. Their sports teams are in top shape year round. Effort and discipline is never in question and Alberici is a fine coach.
is it an advantage? to win championships? i'm not sure that's what we saw in 2021.
rutgers moved their station in life up for the year. we'll see what the future holds.
Bertrand's 33 points was a bust for the 2020-2021 UVA transfer....had no bearing on their winning. #TransfersMatter
nichtern and hudgins and whoever else will be 5th years this year. they'll be fine.
Army is gonna be a damn good...no shortage of talent, experience, and athleticism there...not that October assessments matter, but I'd favor Army in the PL right now with Loyola a close second
Not gonna make a prediction but Army is good and Nichtern is the best player in the PL. Call me a wishful thinker or big dreamer, but I'd like to see 3 PL teams make the tourney. And yes, one is NOT Lehigh.
What’s wrong with Lehigh,
other than they laid an egg in the NCAAs ?

They played one close PL game,
against Army.

15 and 3, the last two years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:00 pm

NIchtern is good, but is an enigma on the field. He can pop off or just fade away in to a game for no apparent reason. At Navy in 2021 he did absolutely nothing in their 9-4 loss, and also in the first Loyola loss. Seems if you scout for him, you can take away what he brings.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:52 pm

Not gonna make a prediction but Army is good and Nichtern is the best player in the PL. Call me a wishhful thinker or big dreamer, but I'd like to see 3 PL teams make the tourney. And yes, one is NOT Lehigh.
Happened in 2004
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:21 pm

Army team has talent with athleticism and they lose little from 2021 starting squad, just Beyer on defense and Garofano on offense , both were good but stock of talent to replace.

Army's star Nichtern is back as is goalie Shupler and other lead players such as Abshire will return . Expect additional contributors from well coached and prepared.

My opinion is that Army will be stronger in 2022 as will Loyola. Both have a wide enough nucleus to not only win the Patriot League but make noise in playoffs.

Patriot is a good league with four truly competitive teams . Navy is a sleeper on the rise under Amplo and Lehigh always fields a solid squad.

My order be Army, Loyola, Navy, Lehigh, BU, Colgate, HC, Bucknell, Lafayette
What has happened to bucknell the last five or so years? Feds slipping or something else? I know they were good in 18. Not sure how 20 might’ve shaken out but he’s been 15-16 since 2018 and he their worst season since he took over in 2017 at 5-8. So from 2017 forward he’s been 31-28 after being 106-62 from 2006-2016. Hope they can bounce back. It was a nice tough temporary rivalry w Bart when they were in the PL for 5-6yrs from 98-04 incl diary the legendary streaker game.
Bucknell strong 20 21 22 recruiting class look for them to bounce back
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Good to hear
twb2020

Post by twb2020 »

[/quote]

against Army.

[/quote]

I agree with 10Stone!

Yes, Army and Loyola are the big names in the PL, but Lehigh has been a steady force for many years. They have been in the championship game the last 3 years minus covid.
I believe they lost only 4 players with significant playing time. Returning is the attack unit and most of the starting defense. Midfield / D-mids may be the biggest issue for the team.

I will be traveling to DC for a long weekend of work and play and will try and stop and see them play in VA on Sunday.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

twb2020 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:54 pm

against Army.

[/quote]

I agree with 10Stone!

Yes, Army and Loyola are the big names in the PL, but Lehigh has been a steady force for many years. They have been in the championship game the last 3 years minus covid.
I believe they lost only 4 players with significant playing time. Returning is the attack unit and most of the starting defense. Midfield / D-mids may be the biggest issue for the team.

I will be traveling to DC for a long weekend of work and play and will try and stop and see them play in VA on Sunday.
[/quote]

We’re going to sneak up on Lehigh and steal their lunch money in OOC play!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Do you think Boston University breaks through and wins the Patriot League Tournament within the next few years?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Pretty tough competition and hard to see it when they didn’t do it when they had gray and very good FOGO/goalie combo I don’t see a roster at the moment but I love Polley and think he’s killed Bucknell amd Colgate since their arrival as a direct competitor and peer type school
bison137

Post by bison137 »

Army team has talent with athleticism and they lose little from 2021 starting squad, just Beyer on defense and Garofano on offense , both were good but stock of talent to replace.

Army's star Nichtern is back as is goalie Shupler and other lead players such as Abshire will return . Expect additional contributors from well coached and prepared.

My opinion is that Army will be stronger in 2022 as will Loyola. Both have a wide enough nucleus to not only win the Patriot League but make noise in playoffs.

Patriot is a good league with four truly competitive teams . Navy is a sleeper on the rise under Amplo and Lehigh always fields a solid squad.

What has happened to bucknell the last five or so years? Feds slipping or something else? I know they were good in 18. Not sure how 20 might’ve shaken out but he’s been 15-16 since 2018 and he their worst season since he took over in 2017 at 5-8. So from 2017 forward he’s been 31-28 after being 106-62 from 2006-2016. Hope they can bounce back. It was a nice tough temporary rivalry w Bart when they were in the PL for 5-6yrs from 98-04 incl diary the legendary streaker game.

Two things to remember:

1. Fed has never had athletic scholarships. Rumor is that he is getting a couple for the Class of 2022 for the first time. That is quite a handicap.

2. Bucknell normally does not allow 5th year athletes. Not energy injury redshirts and certainly not anyone who wants to take the COVID 5th year. They are the only PL school that has no athletes in any sport using the NCAA rule-book extra year.

I expect them to be somewhat improved this year and to make the PL tournament. Fed has definitely not forgot how to coach.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I'm a fan of the guy and the program so hope he turns it around.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

bison137 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Two things to remember:

1. Fed has never had athletic scholarships. Rumor is that he is getting a couple for the Class of 2022 for the first time. That is quite a handicap.

2. Bucknell normally does not allow 5th year athletes. Not energy injury redshirts and certainly not anyone who wants to take the COVID 5th year. They are the only PL school that has no athletes in any sport using the NCAA rule-book extra year.

I expect them to be somewhat improved this year and to make the PL tournament. Fed has definitely not forgot how to coach.

I believe the program is fully funded in 2022
bison137

Post by bison137 »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:38 pm
bison137 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:40 pm

Two things to remember:

I believe the program is fully funded in 2022

I wish that were true, but it's not. He will reportedly have a couple athletic scholarships (the first ones ever) in the HS Class of 2022. By the time the HS Class of 2025 enters, Bucknell will be up to 7 or 8. No plans at this point to become fully funded. In fact, men's and women's basketball are the only sports at Bucknell that are fully funded at the moment.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

How is the RPI looking for the league?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:46 pm How is the RPI looking for the league?
Teams are a combined 11-11 so far this year. Not gonna be great as of now.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Nothing will change at bucknell until they are fully funded. And I seriously doubt that Army or Loyola will have the cred for an at large bid. That’s the only hope for more than one tournament team.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

sinman6 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:53 pm Nothing will change at bucknell until they are fully funded. And I seriously doubt that Army or Loyola will have the cred for an at large bid. That’s the only hope for more than one tournament team.
Army and Loyola both started year either in the Top 10 or just outside. Think expectations before the year we’re PL could get an at large. But Loyola going 0-2 vs B1G, Army dropping to Rutgers, and Lehigh not looking good at all and dropping one to Hobart have really put them up against it. Can’t afford many more OOC losses
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Boston U 2-0
Bucknell 3-0

Good for the conference
bison137

Post by bison137 »

sinman6 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:53 pm Nothing will change at bucknell until they are fully funded. And I seriously doubt that Army or Loyola will have the cred for an at large bid. That’s the only hope for more than one tournament team.

It's very unlikely Bucknell will ever be fully funded. But going from zero scholarship to seven or eight over the next four years will help.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”