Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
JoeMauer89

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:02 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:06 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:49 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:52 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:48 pm Is anyone surprised? AND you can’t call the NFL commish and the president of the US a “nervous clueless pu55y” without consequences.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... y.amp.html
Jon be out of a job! :lol: :lol: Maybe he can go on Oprah and Ellen… :lol: :lol: :lol:

John rich. He be alright.
Makes him eligible to work at FOX, doesn’t it? He thrives on attention.
+1
Breaking -- new gig for Gruden. He'll open for Chappelle.
New gig for Chappelle and Gruden——the reboot!

One of my favorite songs, listen to it right before I go out for a big night on the town!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

You just dropped a couple of pegs in my mind.....I thought you were going to link this actually...

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:24 pm You just dropped a couple of pegs in my mind.....I thought you were going to link this actually...

The reference to that song is useful in this song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ok26p7Tbg4

Funny thing is when I hear about it all I think of is the “Just Judgel Jean Baptiste in Camus’ The Fall telling his confession

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_(Camus_novel)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:24 pm You just dropped a couple of pegs in my mind.....I thought you were going to link this actually...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously that is an even better song, a real classic! I only posted You Belong to the City because it was in Miami Vice!!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:47 pm

Obviously that is an even better song, a real classic! I only posted You Belong to the City because it was in Miami Vice!!

Joe
So was In The Air Tonight..... It was a great episode...... I hope Old Salt is right and Chapelle and Grudin partner up in a reboot!
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:54 pm
Thanks, I haven't seen all of the episodes yet, still working on it! Stanley Tucci was a mobster for an arc I believe.

Joe
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:50 pm

Joe
So was In The Air Tonight..... It was a great episode...... I hope Old Salt is right and Chapelle and Grudin partner up in a reboot!
The reboot Old Salt enjoyed most was the movie version with Colin Farrell & Jamie Foxx ...Michael Mann throwback.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:02 am

Joe
The reboot Old Salt enjoyed most was the movie version with Colin Farrell & Jamie Foxx ...Michael Mann throwback.
Missed it. I am thinking of more Grudin - Chapelle ideas to pitch. Think With Two Heads is #1 option right now.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Joe
Best scene from that movie. "I know I place we can grab a drink. Where? The Keys? No, Havana."
Joe
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:55 am

Joe
Missed it. I am thinking of more Grudin - Chapelle ideas to pitch. Think With Two Heads is #1 option right now.
In the movie, Colin Farrell played a much darker, hard edged, non-comedic Crockett than Don Johnson did in the tv version.
It reminded me of the burned out cop that Farrell played in season #2 of True Detective. My 2 favorite Colin Farrell performances.

Despite how much I enjoy Mann's work, the weekly tv show did not hold my interest. It was still an '80's tv series quality production with PG content & writing. Based on the tv show, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the flick.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Joe
In the movie, Colin Farrell played a much darker, hard edged, non-comedic Crockett than Don Johnson did in the tv version.
It reminded me of the burned out cop that Farrell played in season #2 of True Detective. My 2 favorite Colin Farrell performances.

Despite how much I enjoy Mann's work, the weekly tv show did not hold my interest. It was still an '80's tv series quality production with PG content & writing. Based on the tv show, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the flick.
That True Detective season was awful. Farrell was good in Minority Report. Also, In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. Have not seen The Lobster, but it’s on my list. The Rookie was good too, if memory serves me correctly….

I was thinking of another Gruden and Chappelle reboot…. White Men Can’t Jump.
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:01 pm

Joe

That True Detective season was awful. Farrell was good in Minority Report. Also, In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. Have not seen The Lobster, but it’s on my list. The Rookie was good too, if memory serves me correctly….

Spot on regarding True Detective Season 2. Vince Vaughn was not believable as a bad guy. Season 3 was surprisingly good, especially Stephen Dorff. He was tremendous. Obviously not season 1, but still very good. Colin Farrell was unbelievable in Season 2, so was Rachel McAdams. However the story sucked and there was a evident lack of chemistry.

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Joe

Pulp Fiction?

48 hours too easy.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Joe

Pulp Fiction?

48 hours too easy.
Definitely thought about 48 Hours!
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Joe

Pulp Fiction?

48 hours too easy.
Nick Nolte, always made me believe that he WAS Jack Cates in real life!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:36 pm

Joe

Pulp Fiction?

48 hours too easy.
Holy crap I got it-the perfect one!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_No_ ... ar_No_Evil
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Napoleon Wallace’s firm, Activest, rates cities on social and justice factors to inform municipal bond investors.Alex Boerner for The New York Times
Fighting police brutality with finance
By Stephen Gandel
News Editor, DealBook
Napoleon Wallace, a bond analyst and municipal budget wonk, sees disaster in the finances of America’s largest cities where others do not.

When it comes to assessing the value of municipal bonds issued by many American cities, he says investors — and the public — are often looking at the wrong numbers, overlooking the true embedded costs of a social justice system that has become normalized. He believes paying more attention could be an path for change.

To Mr. Wallace, factors that contribute to inequality, including police misconduct, add up to trouble for both residents and city finances. He believes that municipal bond investors should consider “fiscal justice” before investing in a city’s debt. His firm, Activest, plans to introduce a new type of ratings system this year to help them do it.

Take Louisville, Ky. The city gets an AA rating or higher from the major credit rating agencies, including Fitch, Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s. Mr. Wallace, however, gives Louisville’s finances poor marks across the board. According to his research, which he plans to publish in a report next month, the city is overreliant on fines and fees to generate revenue, corporate tax abatements are excessive and housing affordability is a problem. Mr. Wallace estimates that it also loses $100 million a year because of inequality, in large part because lower wages for Black and Latino residents result in lower tax revenue for the city and less economic activity.

Continue reading the main story
ADVERTISEMENT

Then there are the legal settlements. Louisville has paid nearly $31 million over the past five years to settle cases involving excessive police force, according to the report, which used data from the nonprofit Root Cause Research Center in Louisville. Not all of these payments have been publicly disclosed. The largest, $12 million, was made last year to the family of Breonna Taylor after Louisville police officers shot and killed her during a botched raid on her apartment.

A spokeswoman for the Louisville mayor’s office said Activest’s police settlements figure was wrong, but did not offer an alternative. “Equity is the central principle around every decision Louisville Metro Government makes,” said Jessica Wethington, the office’s deputy director of communications. “This year’s city budget focused on accelerating the city’s economic recovery, reimagining public safety, expanding youth development efforts and housing.”

Counting the cost of police misconduct
Activest bases its ratings on eight social and justice factors, with a heavy emphasis on policing, but also education, health care and affordability. Some practices that traditional credit raters see as good, such as high revenue from fines or fees, use of tax abatements and large police budgets, can erode a city’s tax base, exacerbate overpolicing and serve as early warning signs of social unrest, Mr. Wallace says. His fiscal justice ratings aim to account for this long-term impact.

The ratings also acknowledge the potential cost of police misconduct, which traditional rating agencies have typically ignored. In one exception that illustrates how police killings can destabilize city budgets, Moody’s downgraded the bonds of Ferguson, Mo., after a white police officer shot and killed Michael Brown, an unarmed Black teenager, in 2014. Moody’s cited “the potential financial impact of ongoing litigation costs,” legal settlements and negotiations with the Department of Justice to overhaul the city’s justice system.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The ability to clearly and precisely distill all of the many fiscal justice risks into an outlook is very needed in this market,” Mr. Wallace said.

Activest, which Mr. Wallace founded six years ago with Ryan Bowers, a racial equity consultant, plans to publish research reports and ratings for as many as 50 U.S. cities. The initial goal is to bring to light police settlements, both public and private, and identify cities that are most at risk of not being able to pay them or meet other obligations.

But the ultimate goal is to use the bond market to rein in police brutality and make cities more just. As investors look for socially responsible investments, Mr. Wallace believes Activest’s fiscal justice ratings could influence bond prices and, therefore, the interest rates. By attracting more investors, a city would lower its borrowing costs, improving budgets and possibly allowing politicians to lower taxes or at least spend money elsewhere. And that could provide an incentive to treat citizens more fairly.

E.S.G. for municipal bonds
Municipal bonds were the original socially responsible investment. In ubiquitous television commercials that ran throughout the 1970s and 1980s, the bond salesman Jim Lebenthal stood in front of landfills, power plants and bridges to pitch the idea that investing in local government debt was putting money toward a better America.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the modern iteration of socially responsible investing, known as the environmental, social and governance, or E.S.G., movement, has mostly steered clear of the muni bond market, and when E.S.G. investing tactics are applied to muni bonds, the focus is usually on environmental issues.

One reason for this, muni market experts say, is a lack of data. Larry Bellinger, the head of municipal bond research at AllianceBernstein, which manages $55 billion in local government debt, said that he had found relatively adequate research on carbon footprints and natural hazards, but that on social and justice issues, “data is a problem.”

That could change as muni bond investors become more interested in these issues. Michael Belsky, a former mayor of Highland Park, Ill., and a municipal bond veteran at HilltopSecurities, said that George Floyd’s murder last year, and the protests that followed, had sparked much of the new interest in E.S.G. from muni bond investors.

After Mr. Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer, there were widespread calls to ban so-called police brutality bonds — municipal bond deals that raise money to pay for legal settlements tied to excessive policing. Banning such bonds is difficult because cities rarely raise money specifically for legal settlements. The same bonds that raise money to pay legal settlements, called general obligation bonds, also help pay for garbage pickup, the upkeep of parks and other city services.

Proposed boycotts fizzled. But an E.S.G. approach, which evaluates a number of measures to find out if investment targets, in this case city governments, are acting responsibly may be more lasting.

Some firms are already seeking better data on cities’ social and justice issues. A number of large money management firms, including BlackRock and Vanguard, have recently joined an effort by two minority-owned underwriting firms, Loop Capital Markets and Siebert Williams Shank, to get local officials to answer questions about policing policies, as well as stats on race-based inequalities.

Activest aims to make this type of data easily accessible.

“What Napoleon and Activest are doing is uncovering a new set of data for investors to use,” said Kimberlee Cornett, the director of impact investing at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a nonprofit that is working on its own racial and equity-focused rating score for cities. “Investors are increasingly asking the racial equity question, and if data becomes consistently available, I think investors will pay attention to it.”

Beyond the data problem
The first money management firm to sign on with Activest, Adasina Social Capital, has raised nearly $60 million in less than a year for its fiscal justice investment strategy.

But even with more data and plenty of investor interest, some experts are skeptical that a fiscal justice rating could meaningfully influence bond prices and, therefore, push cities to tackle racial inequities.

Thomas Doe, the founder of Municipal Market Analytics, said that though environmental data and ratings had been in the muni bond market for a while, they had yet to have much impact on borrowing rates.

“Munis default so infrequently that there isn’t enough data out there to prove that fiscal justice has an impact on default risk,” Mr. Doe said.

And even if social ratings are successful, they could create ethical dilemmas. Minority populations in low-rated cities may see their community resources shrink further when borrowing rates rise.

Mr. Wallace of Activest thinks the firm’s fiscal justice ratings not only can influence bond prices but can also be an instrument of engagement.

“Using the power of the purse to motivate municipalities to ask, ‘Is this really the best use of resources for residents and bond holders?’ is a really compelling way to engage the market,” he said.

Adasina plans to buy bonds of cities that perform poorly in fiscal justice and then address the issues with city managers, who may be more willing to listen to their lenders.

“Fiscal justice strategy is driving more money to majority Black communities,” said Rachel Robasciotti, Adasina’s founder. “Activest’s folks, rather than call for divestment, are advocating for reforming behavior.”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I’m fairly anti organized religion but not spirituality or sense of self in the world. However I applaud my church for their help with this young guy who came to me (splitting the cost of an extended stay hotel so he didn’t have to sleep in his car while going through methadone treatment and starting a new job post rehab) as a source of strength in the community. This is messed up.

Attacks rise on houses of worship
Axios
Niala Boodhoo, Russell Contreras
Woven Stars of David along the fence at the Tree of Life Synagogue on the 1st Anniversary on October 27, 2019 in Pittsburgh, Penn.
Woven Stars of David hang along the fence at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh on the 1st anniversary of a mass shooting at the synagogue. Photo: Jeff Swensen/Getty Images
Houses of worship — across a variety of faiths, including Jewish synagogues to Buddhist temples and Catholic churches — are experiencing high amounts of vandalism, arson and other property damage.

The big picture: 2021 is on track to exceed last year's spike in hate crimes in the U.S., many of them linked to religious bigotry. The number of hate crimes reported in FY 2020 was the highest since 2001, when a wave of Islamophobia followed the 9/11 attacks, according to updated FBI data released yesterday.

By the numbers: The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said last week that it has now recorded 100 acts of hate against Catholic sites in the U.S. since May of 2020.

Earlier this summer, Canada saw more than a dozen arson attacks on churches, following the discovery of mass graves near Catholic-run residential schools that had housed indigenous children.
Politics and news events across the world are driving hate incidents.

New York City experienced almost as many anti-Semitic hate crimes during a three-week period in May than in the whole first quarter of the year, said Brian Levin, who directs the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at Cal State San Bernardino.
That spike in violence coincided with heightened tensions between Israel and Palestine.
Earlier, historically African-American churches experienced property damage in retaliation for Black Lives Matter protests, and a Buddhist temple in Los Angeles was set on fire as a result of anti-Asian hate.
It's not just property damage: Wednesday marks the third anniversary of one of Pennsylvania's worst mass shootings, in which a white supremacist terrorist killed 11 worshippers at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh.

A mass shooting at a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, in 2012 killed six people and injured four more.
The Sikh Coalition subsequently created a safety toolkit to help houses of worship and local communities take advantage of help from local law enforcement.
“We’ve helped over 80 gurdwaras get a better sense of security,” said Sim J. Singh Attariwala, the senior policy and advocacy manager at The Sikh Coalition.
What's next: Attariwala said the Anti-Asian hate crimes law that President Biden signed earlier this year is a start — but that the coalition wants “local and state and federal officials to use their convening power to organize community forums and create task forces that prevent hate violence.”

Attorney Merrick Garland said in congressional testimony Monday that the Justice Department has charged more than 17 people with federal hate crimes and has secured several convictions or guilty pleas.
He said DOJ's Civil Rights Division is also expediting its review of federal hate crimes.
The bottom line: “The communal institutions which hold us together traditionally — academia, arms of government, the media, the medical establishment, and now religious institutions — are held in low esteem relative to decades prior.," Levin said.

"So when there are disputes or questions about authority, and particularly when you have these new conspiracy theories that come up like QAnon, there's always a place for someone of faith to be scapegoated. We're extremely concerned.”
Go deeper: 🎧 Listen to an interview with Brian Levin on "Axios Today."
CU88

Post by CU88 »

If you want to ban fiction novels about slavery because they’re traumatic to white kids but praise Confederate statues despite their trauma on Black kids, then it isn’t children you’re protecting its white supremacy.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”