Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:06 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dave- ... uxbndlbing

Dave Chappelle makes some observations that should not be just brushed off.
What do you believe his observation is?
I don't need to explain it. Mr Chappelle said it himself. Listen and judge for yourself. IMO he believes the LGBTQ community is light years ahead of black Americans on the road to being accepted. Mr Chappelle made an observation about the rapper I believed to be nothing short of brilliant. You can shoot a n****r dead and no one cares. You criticize the LGBTQ community and you quickly become a social outcast.
That’s your take? If you are black and fall into a LGBTQ classification you good?
My "take" is irrelevant. The issue is about what Dave Chappelle thinks about the issue. He made his own observations which you had no opinion on. I believe you are a fan of Mr Chappelle. What is YOUR opinion of what he said? Were you offended? Is Mr Chappelle a homophobe?
I am not offended and Dave isn’t a homophobe. I just wanted to see your understanding. Like I said, it’s probably something I have heard 100 time for groups beyond just the LGBTQ classification. Ask your friend that liked Sheriff Clarke.
My understanding was Mr Chappelle was pointing out the preferential treatment given to the LGBTQ community ignoring centuries of inequities suffered by black Americans. I actually like Sheriff Clarke. He wore one bad ass uniform. He also, judging by the FLP folks on this forum was the wrong shade of black.
Thanks for clarifying your understanding. All the best.
Thoughtful analysis of Chappelle's latest from behind the NR+ paywall :
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/10/ ... ransphobe/

Dave Chappelle Is Not a Transphobe

Dave Chappelle holds a distinction nearly unique among comics: Whenever he drops a special, it’s news. His latest Netflix offering, The Closer, immediately got him accused of “pointless transphobia and homophobia” (The Daily Beast), “Betrayal” (GQ) and “anti-LGBTQ diatribes” (GLAAD).

The Closer is not one of Chappelle’s best efforts — he has done nine of these specials, including six for Netflix, and the new one is probably the least effective among them — but in its compassion it’s the opposite of transphobic. Chappelle exhibits a lot of humanity, a lot of humility, and a lot of self-questioning as he does his best to grapple with the question of how to be respectful of transgendered people while acknowledging that in comedy, nothing should be ruled off-limits, particularly if your brand of standup is saying the unsayable. Chappelle insists on the right to continue to tell the truth as he sees it, but he isn’t interested in antagonism for its own sake. What he’s doing isn’t trolling. He genuinely doesn’t want to hurt people. He goes out of his way to clarify how important he thinks it is to be sensitive to trans folks. Saying there can be humor in transgenderism is just saying, “Welcome to humanity. Everybody’s funny.”

The centerpiece of Chappelle’s special is a long reminiscence, not really a comedy bit, about a trans performer he knew named Daphne. “Knew,” past tense, because Daphne committed suicide in October 2019. Daphne Dorman was a male-to-female standup comic whose family is defending Chappelle. Nothing in The Closer would have bothered Daphne, two family members have said.

“Daphne was in awe of Dave’s graciousness,” Dorman’s sister Becky wrote in a text to The Daily Beast. “She did not find his jokes rude, crude, off-coloring, off-putting, anything. She thought his jokes were funny. Daphne understood humor and comedy — she was not offended. Why would her family be offended?”

After Chappelle mentioned Daphne in a previous Netflix special, Dorman bragged about it on social media. Another sister, Brandy, said in a Facebook post that Chappelle “loved my sister and felt empathy towards her human experience and, yes, he makes terrible jokes that are also funny. News flash, our whole family does that. Our funerals are laughter through tears, we mourn by remembering the times we laughed together, and yes, some inappropriate humor, too. . . . As often as Dave stands up for Daphne, we will be there for Dave. This man is our tribe, and we mourn alongside him.”

Chappelle noted in that previous special, Sticks & Stones, that Daphne had laughed especially hard at the jokes he did about gender.

Becky told The Daily Beast that it’s completely wrong to blame Chappelle for the suicide. “No one knows what life was like for my siblings and I. We are products of how we were brought [up]. Dave was the biggest bright spot for Daphne; she was enamored for the first time. Blaming Dave is beyond the wrong thing to do. He helped her and let her be comfortable while talking with him. She had many demons; Dave Chappelle was NOT one of them.”

Since Chappelle is evidently full of fondness for Daphne, stamping him as a hater requires ignoring the tenor of his remarks and focusing very narrowly on just one contention, which boils down to six words: “Gender is a fact,” Chappelle stated. And he said he was on “team TERF,” meaning he agreed with J. K. Rowling that male and female are defined biological categories. (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist, a term coined by the trans movement to insult and marginalize popularly held views, followed the path of “Tory” and “Impressionist” in becoming embraced by those it was meant to denigrate.)

The trans movement would have us believe that referring to the intransigence of DNA amounts to hate speech. That’s not only wrong, it’s self-defeating. If the trans movement wants to be accepted, it should stop insisting that others must sign on to its revolutionary biology, built around the insistence that men can give birth.

“Gender is a fact” would not have been a controversial statement 20 years ago, and only a small minority would disagree with that statement even today. If saying “Gender is a fact” makes you transphobic, no matter how respectful you may be of the feelings of trans people, no matter how gracious you may be to trans people, no matter if you have (as Chappelle has) set up a trust fund for the daughter of a trans person (Daphne), then the trans movement is insisting on ruling out of bounds the views of most people. When you declare most people out of bounds, though, you’re really just marking your own position as extreme. That isn’t the path to acceptance, and the angry calls by trans activists for Chappelle’s special to be yanked strike most people as far more troubling than anything Chappelle has ever said. Whatever happened to “agree to disagree”? Chappelle is telling trans folks, “I respect you, but I disagree with you.” Trans individuals and their allies reply that disagreement is itself disrespect, and not only is it disrespect, it’s hateful and beyond the pale. It must be punished. Chappelle is one of the finest practitioners of his art in America. Shutting him down can’t be the answer to the question of how trans people can gain respect.
:lol: :lol: NPR!! Just ask your friend from the dog park. :lol: :lol:
As I posted, it is from NR+ ...that's National Review [Plus], thus the paywall. You're welcome.

NPR would never defend a transphobe TERF like Chappelle.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 pm I like the evidence being a mail order bride. Throw in the Ravens thirsty wife of the owner there who was a cheerleader so she could get after the servants on the field.
What are you referring to?
Bisciotti’s wife?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:15 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:41 pm I like the evidence being a mail order bride. Throw in the Ravens thirsty wife of the owner there who was a cheerleader so she could get after the servants on the field.
Bisciotti’s wife?
Yeah boy. She wanted some of the player meat.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:58 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:06 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dave- ... uxbndlbing

Dave Chappelle makes some observations that should not be just brushed off.
What do you believe his observation is?
I don't need to explain it. Mr Chappelle said it himself. Listen and judge for yourself. IMO he believes the LGBTQ community is light years ahead of black Americans on the road to being accepted. Mr Chappelle made an observation about the rapper I believed to be nothing short of brilliant. You can shoot a n****r dead and no one cares. You criticize the LGBTQ community and you quickly become a social outcast.
That’s your take? If you are black and fall into a LGBTQ classification you good?
My "take" is irrelevant. The issue is about what Dave Chappelle thinks about the issue. He made his own observations which you had no opinion on. I believe you are a fan of Mr Chappelle. What is YOUR opinion of what he said? Were you offended? Is Mr Chappelle a homophobe?
I am not offended and Dave isn’t a homophobe. I just wanted to see your understanding. Like I said, it’s probably something I have heard 100 time for groups beyond just the LGBTQ classification. Ask your friend that liked Sheriff Clarke.
My understanding was Mr Chappelle was pointing out the preferential treatment given to the LGBTQ community ignoring centuries of inequities suffered by black Americans. I actually like Sheriff Clarke. He wore one bad ass uniform. He also, judging by the FLP folks on this forum was the wrong shade of black.
Thanks for clarifying your understanding. All the best.
Thoughtful analysis of Chappelle's latest from behind the NR+ paywall :
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/10/ ... ransphobe/

Dave Chappelle Is Not a Transphobe

Dave Chappelle holds a distinction nearly unique among comics: Whenever he drops a special, it’s news. His latest Netflix offering, The Closer, immediately got him accused of “pointless transphobia and homophobia” (The Daily Beast), “Betrayal” (GQ) and “anti-LGBTQ diatribes” (GLAAD).

The Closer is not one of Chappelle’s best efforts — he has done nine of these specials, including six for Netflix, and the new one is probably the least effective among them — but in its compassion it’s the opposite of transphobic. Chappelle exhibits a lot of humanity, a lot of humility, and a lot of self-questioning as he does his best to grapple with the question of how to be respectful of transgendered people while acknowledging that in comedy, nothing should be ruled off-limits, particularly if your brand of standup is saying the unsayable. Chappelle insists on the right to continue to tell the truth as he sees it, but he isn’t interested in antagonism for its own sake. What he’s doing isn’t trolling. He genuinely doesn’t want to hurt people. He goes out of his way to clarify how important he thinks it is to be sensitive to trans folks. Saying there can be humor in transgenderism is just saying, “Welcome to humanity. Everybody’s funny.”

The centerpiece of Chappelle’s special is a long reminiscence, not really a comedy bit, about a trans performer he knew named Daphne. “Knew,” past tense, because Daphne committed suicide in October 2019. Daphne Dorman was a male-to-female standup comic whose family is defending Chappelle. Nothing in The Closer would have bothered Daphne, two family members have said.

“Daphne was in awe of Dave’s graciousness,” Dorman’s sister Becky wrote in a text to The Daily Beast. “She did not find his jokes rude, crude, off-coloring, off-putting, anything. She thought his jokes were funny. Daphne understood humor and comedy — she was not offended. Why would her family be offended?”

After Chappelle mentioned Daphne in a previous Netflix special, Dorman bragged about it on social media. Another sister, Brandy, said in a Facebook post that Chappelle “loved my sister and felt empathy towards her human experience and, yes, he makes terrible jokes that are also funny. News flash, our whole family does that. Our funerals are laughter through tears, we mourn by remembering the times we laughed together, and yes, some inappropriate humor, too. . . . As often as Dave stands up for Daphne, we will be there for Dave. This man is our tribe, and we mourn alongside him.”

Chappelle noted in that previous special, Sticks & Stones, that Daphne had laughed especially hard at the jokes he did about gender.

Becky told The Daily Beast that it’s completely wrong to blame Chappelle for the suicide. “No one knows what life was like for my siblings and I. We are products of how we were brought [up]. Dave was the biggest bright spot for Daphne; she was enamored for the first time. Blaming Dave is beyond the wrong thing to do. He helped her and let her be comfortable while talking with him. She had many demons; Dave Chappelle was NOT one of them.”

Since Chappelle is evidently full of fondness for Daphne, stamping him as a hater requires ignoring the tenor of his remarks and focusing very narrowly on just one contention, which boils down to six words: “Gender is a fact,” Chappelle stated. And he said he was on “team TERF,” meaning he agreed with J. K. Rowling that male and female are defined biological categories. (Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist, a term coined by the trans movement to insult and marginalize popularly held views, followed the path of “Tory” and “Impressionist” in becoming embraced by those it was meant to denigrate.)

The trans movement would have us believe that referring to the intransigence of DNA amounts to hate speech. That’s not only wrong, it’s self-defeating. If the trans movement wants to be accepted, it should stop insisting that others must sign on to its revolutionary biology, built around the insistence that men can give birth.

“Gender is a fact” would not have been a controversial statement 20 years ago, and only a small minority would disagree with that statement even today. If saying “Gender is a fact” makes you transphobic, no matter how respectful you may be of the feelings of trans people, no matter how gracious you may be to trans people, no matter if you have (as Chappelle has) set up a trust fund for the daughter of a trans person (Daphne), then the trans movement is insisting on ruling out of bounds the views of most people. When you declare most people out of bounds, though, you’re really just marking your own position as extreme. That isn’t the path to acceptance, and the angry calls by trans activists for Chappelle’s special to be yanked strike most people as far more troubling than anything Chappelle has ever said. Whatever happened to “agree to disagree”? Chappelle is telling trans folks, “I respect you, but I disagree with you.” Trans individuals and their allies reply that disagreement is itself disrespect, and not only is it disrespect, it’s hateful and beyond the pale. It must be punished. Chappelle is one of the finest practitioners of his art in America. Shutting him down can’t be the answer to the question of how trans people can gain respect.
:lol: :lol: NPR!! Just ask your friend from the dog park. :lol: :lol:
As I posted, it is from NR+ ...that's National Review [Plus], thus the paywall. You're welcome.

NPR would never defend a transphobe TERF like Chappelle.
My fault. I didn’t realize it was NR+….. even more so, you should have just asked the nice dog park couple about it.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Getting an opinion on Chappelle from the National Review is like asking my dead grandfather who was pre 1980 country and gospel music all day and night to do a deconstruction and comparison of Iron Maiden and Motörhead.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 am Getting an opinion on Chappelle from the National Review is like asking my dead grandfather who was pre 1980 country and gospel music all day and night to do a deconstruction and comparison of Iron Maiden and Motörhead.
When I see Frank White pen an opinion piece in National Review, I will start to pay attention to it.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 am Getting an opinion on Chappelle from the National Review is like asking my dead grandfather who was pre 1980 country and gospel music all day and night to do a deconstruction and comparison of Iron Maiden and Motörhead.
The lead singer for Iron Maiden is quite talented. Look him up, pilot, screenwriter, fencing champ, and then some. I enjoy their music, especially trying to play Steve Harris bass lines.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The lead singer (original) of Iron Maiden is quite talented. Look him up, pilot, screenwriter, fencing champ, and then some. I enjoy their music, especially trying to play Steve Harris bass lines.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:43 am
When I see Frank White pen an opinion piece in National Review, I will start to pay attention to it.
He needs to get spanked for setting traps…
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 am
The lead singer (original) of Iron Maiden is quite talented. Look him up, pilot, screenwriter, fencing champ, and then some. I enjoy their music, especially trying to play Steve Harris bass lines.
Flight of Icarus?

I may see Henry Rollins here in Atlanta down the road.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:51 am
Flight of Icarus?

I may see Henry Rollins here in Atlanta down the road.
Henry Rollins "warmed up" for someone out in North Hampton a few years back. It was like a Joe Rogan podcast. Henry would be banned from twitter and fecesbook if he even , ever, bothered.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I'm sure you think he's a hypocrite lying pedera** also.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:54 am
Bisciotti’s wife?
I hadn’t heard that one at all. She certainly doesn’t seem the type. And pretty sure she wasn’t a cheerleader.

Are you sure you aren’t confusing her with Molly Shattuck?
The former ravens cheerleader who was married to the Excelon CEO and mogul who was sleeping with the hs kids?
Typical Lax Dad

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am
Bisciotti’s wife?
I hadn’t heard that one at all. She certainly doesn’t seem the type. And pretty sure she wasn’t a cheerleader.

The former ravens cheerleader who was married to the Excelon CEO and mogul who was sleeping with the hs kids?
Probably. That was insane. Buddy used to drop off or pick up kids at same school….Always a highlight when she picked up.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:22 pm
Bisciotti’s wife?

Probably. That was insane. Buddy used to drop off or pick up kids at same school….Always a highlight when she picked up.
Yeah that might be right. this is my problem when I juggle too much. And used to have exposure to Exelon at a prior gig, -need to clear my head of too much information (onto these boards!)..

I like picking up my kids from school with shades on, about the only reason I've considered private school vs public for my kids (at least until possibly HS and/or PG year at a NE boarding school to buy access to lower admit rate schools).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Bisciotti’s wife?

I think it was "just" one HS kid... IMO, husband, Mayo, sold out Baltimore when he engineered the sale of Alex. Brown to Banker's Trust. Greed...

The Molly-Mayo story was another example of 'character'...she'd been a marketing person, if I recall correctly, at ABS and she and CEO Mayo had an affair while he was married...story goes they were found screwing on the ABS conference table...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:48 pm
Bisciotti’s wife?

I think it was "just" one HS kid... IMO, husband, Mayo, sold out Baltimore when he engineered the sale of Alex. Brown to Banker's Trust. Greed...

The Molly-Mayo story was another example of 'character'...she'd been a marketing person, if I recall correctly, at ABS and she and CEO Mayo had an affair while he was married...story goes they were found screwing on the ABS conference table...
I know a guy that this happened to as well. Chairman walked in on him. The guy was supposed to help me host some people at a Michigan football game. Chairman showed up instead. I heard a few months later why.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Do you take issue with anything in the article or are you just trolling ? Are you the arbiter of who may enjoy Chappelle ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm
Do you take issue with anything in the article or are you just trolling ? Are you the arbiter of who may enjoy Chappelle ?
Yea I do but not going to go point by point. How much chappelle have you consumed to put up a story from any source to make a point?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:16 pm
Yea I do but not going to go point by point. How much chappelle have you consumed to put up a story from any source to make a point?
I've watched all his Netflix specials (which you admittedly have not - including the one under discussion) & was a regular viewer of his tv series.
I thought the article I posted supported cradle's view, which caused some confusion, which is why I posted it.
I have enough situational awareness not to watch him with my wife.

Return to “POLITICS”