Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

Another commit Midfielder Vern Cooke from Onondaga.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:41 pm Another commit Midfielder Vern Cooke from Onondaga.
Heard that Albany alum Ron John drove him and others from the area the 350 miles to Homewood for one of PM's prospect camps this summer.

That's called making the most of your opportunities. I didn't think many offers actually came out of these camps but that's now two guys between him and Bigelow who were both signed after attending one. Will be rooting hard for these kids.

He's currently a high school senior at Lafayette—any idea if he's joining the 22 class or PG'ing and then joining the 23s?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Looking at the program from afar (geographically and chronologically) what I see is a coach that knows how to meet these men where they are. He may not have the top recruiting class, but he will wring the most out of each player that they have to give. Even looking at the roster size issue, if you can call it that, I bet most of his players are taking something rewarding out of their time on the team.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:31 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:59 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:43 pm
hmmm wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm The IVYs do mostly offer free rides based on HHI thresholds which isn’t the same but surely helps with many kids from CNY/WNY. Otherwise a interesting point.
With the Bloomberg money Hopkins can offer a ton of aid as well allowing their 12.6 to go even farther. It really is an advantage. Just need to start winning to capitalize on it.
I’m sure that will be a noticeable help soon. Up until about 4/5 years ago they were not allowed to stack financial aid and scholarships. That is now permissible and is a big advantage to schools with strong financial aid who are fully funded. It’s a big disadvantage to some of the big state schools that have limited financial aid and high out of state cost. Especially the more “blue collar” and less “affluent” state schools like a Penn State and Ohio State.
They still can't stack at Hopkins. But when a portion of your team qualifies for significant aid(in many cases more than they could get from a lax scholarship) it allows those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out to fewer guys and hence allows them to get higher scholarships.
Why can’t they? Is that their own institutional decision?
Yes it is an institutional decision on whether to allow stacking. Now at most schools it’s stacking academic and athletic money. Financial aid usually can’t be stacked with athletic money anywhere. The Bloomberg money is financial aid grants and therefore can’t be combined with athletic money.
when you say can't be, do you mean by jhu edict?
edit: didn't read your post thoroughly. the rule changed for division 1 last august 1, 2020. financial doesn't ding athletic scholly totals any longer.
Right. Doesn’t count towards 12.6 anymore but at Hopkins can’t be stacked.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

http://www.ndnsports.com/vern-cooke-ono ... st-season/

Nice article - it says at the end he hopes to be a freshman at college next year - the article was written this september
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:41 pm Another commit Midfielder Vern Cooke from Onondaga.
Heard that Albany alum Ron John drove him and others from the area the 350 miles to Homewood for one of PM's prospect camps this summer.

That's called making the most of your opportunities. I didn't think many offers actually came out of these camps but that's now two guys between him and Bigelow who were both signed after attending one. Will be rooting hard for these kids.

He's currently a high school senior at Lafayette—any idea if he's joining the 22 class or PG'ing and then joining the 23s?
I met Ron John years ago. My wife and I liked him. Hope Vern Cooke does well.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:42 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:07 pm

I met Ron John years ago. My wife and I liked him. Hope Vern Cooke does well.
Is that the surf shop?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

they're gutting the Hopkins club and auctioning off the insides. Lot of framed vintage homewood and Hopkins lacrosse pictures. petro vs navy 89, harrison duke nc 05, 32 olympic team, homewood 1908, 50s/60s stars.
https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/j ... enovation/

https://bid.alexcooper.com/auctions/1-5 ... search=jhu
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hopkins added a new player today. Kyle from Team Impact. Looks like they have moved on from Friends of Jaclyn Foundation but kudos to the team for continuing this type of activity.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm The IVYs do mostly offer free rides based on HHI thresholds which isn’t the same but surely helps with many kids from CNY/WNY. Otherwise a interesting point.
With the Bloomberg money Hopkins can offer a ton of aid as well allowing their 12.6 to go even farther. It really is an advantage. Just need to start winning to capitalize on it.
I’m sure that will be a noticeable help soon. Up until about 4/5 years ago they were not allowed to stack financial aid and scholarships. That is now permissible and is a big advantage to schools with strong financial aid who are fully funded. It’s a big disadvantage to some of the big state schools that have limited financial aid and high out of state cost. Especially the more “blue collar” and less “affluent” state schools like a Penn State and Ohio State.
They still can't stack at Hopkins. But when a portion of your team qualifies for significant aid(in many cases more than they could get from a lax scholarship) it allows those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out to fewer guys and hence allows them to get higher scholarships.
Yes it is an institutional decision on whether to allow stacking. Now at most schools it’s stacking academic and athletic money. Financial aid usually can’t be stacked with athletic money anywhere. The Bloomberg money is financial aid grants and therefore can’t be combined with athletic money.
It is now permissible to stack financial aid, but you make a good point about need based and grant aid. The differences may be noted and different within the rules.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hmmm wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:45 am
edit: didn't read your post thoroughly. the rule changed for division 1 last august 1, 2020. financial doesn't ding athletic scholly totals any longer.
no offense, but i don't believe you at this point.
if what you're saying is accurate, this would be the 1st thing i'd seen that would indicate hopkins is not supporting the lacrosse team.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Milliman hosting a "Radar Camp" today for 22s/23s and 24s

Always nice to see teams participating in the FOJ/Team Impact giving back - I guess a director at Team Impact is on the JHU lacrosse advisory board

This "stacking" term is new to me - if I am understanding it correctly why would the overall Hopkins administration care how Milliman appropriates the 12.6 as long as they do it sans violations? So if you were going to give someone academic money - which means you should want him in your school - why would you theoretically care if the lacrosse coach came along and gave him some more money as long as it was part of the 12.6 pie? Am I mixing apples and oranges?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:13 am Milliman hosting a "Radar Camp" today for 22s/23s and 24s

Always nice to see teams participating in the FOJ/Team Impact giving back - I guess a director at Team Impact is on the JHU lacrosse advisory board

This "stacking" term is new to me - if I am understanding it correctly why would the overall Hopkins administration care how Milliman appropriates the 12.6 as long as they do it sans violations? So if you were going to give someone academic money - which means you should want him in your school - why would you theoretically care if the lacrosse coach came along and gave him some more money as long as it was part of the 12.6 pie? Am I mixing apples and oranges?
your ~50 players are theoretically going to be able to have less dollars out of their own pockets and into hopkins'. in particular if the generous bloomberg money can be tapped by a greater amount of kids that also get partial athletic.
before where it was one vs the other for any individual, now it's in combination and x that by the ~15-40 kids that's affecting.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm
if what you're saying is accurate, this would be the 1st thing i'd seen that would indicate hopkins is not supporting the lacrosse team.
Huh? I think you are misunderstanding what I’m saying. They have 12.6 scholarships to hand out(well slightly less right now since they’re on probation). On top of that thanks to Bloomberg many of the players can get more grant money from school then they could get in scholarship money. I know several players on men’s and women’s team that are getting 75% or more in grant money so they did not need to take up any of the 12.6 schollies. If 25% of your roster qualifies for a large amount of grant money that allows you to give more of the 12.6 to the other 75% of the roster. Never said anything about hopkins not supporting the lacrosse teams. Quite the opposite.

But, if you take grant money, you cannot also get an athletic scholarship. It’s one or the other. That’s all I’m saying.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i believe you may have missed the start of the convo and implications.
the nc$$ rules changed on this last august 1, 2020.
you can now stack institutional need-based aid on top of receiving athletic money and the only count on athletic money is that partial athletic scholly.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

hmmm wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:02 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:43 pm
Huh? I think you are misunderstanding what I’m saying. They have 12.6 scholarships to hand out(well slightly less right now since they’re on probation). On top of that thanks to Bloomberg many of the players can get more grant money from school then they could get in scholarship money. I know several players on men’s and women’s team that are getting 75% or more in grant money so they did not need to take up any of the 12.6 schollies. If 25% of your roster qualifies for a large amount of grant money that allows you to give more of the 12.6 to the other 75% of the roster. Never said anything about hopkins not supporting the lacrosse teams. Quite the opposite.

But, if you take grant money, you cannot also get an athletic scholarship. It’s one or the other. That’s all I’m saying.
it might be less confusing if you use standard financial aid terms, since anything that doesn't have to get paid back, i.e, not a loan, can be a "grant"):
a) need-based aid (which i think you are calling grants);
b) non-athletic merit scholarship (based on grades, test scores, or other personal achievement); and
c) athletic scholarships (that 12.6 total)

btw: The Ivies only offer 'a', but they have some of the most generous need-based aid programs. With the Bloomberg donation, JHU can now match teh Ivy's generous calculation of "need".
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Yes. It’s need based. It is called Hopkins Grant which is why I was using that term. And yes JHU can now compete with Ivy’s on that front. The coaches have recruits go through the net price calculator with at Hopkins and Ivys is very accurate is you enter thorough info. The income standard is pretty high to not qualify for something and the average grant is almost 50k. If a recruit qualifies for that it’s pretty likely that it will be more or similar to what they would get in athletic money. As I said, the recruit can’t do both. It’s not all that common for schools to allow stacking so Hopkins is in the majority on that front. You can usually tell the numbers on signing day because recruits that took grant money are not announced as they do not sign an NLI
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Has Hopkins ever had a player from Onondaga?

Good news.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Alum Jake Fox and incoming 2022 Koleton Marquis were named to the Iroquois Sixes team.

Team is coached by Milliman.
Attachments
FBMepFbXIAAuovk.jpg
FBMepFbXIAAuovk.jpg (212.66 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Former captain John Crawley named to the USA team. Cole Williams and Cody Radziewicz were both released from the 6s team this summer.
Attachments
E2CC2C65-BEA3-4AA4-86BA-E4CCEC2BB05E.jpeg
E2CC2C65-BEA3-4AA4-86BA-E4CCEC2BB05E.jpeg (211.89 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”