Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by CU88 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:30 pm
Just realized the link I pulled was from 2019 this is for 2021 in my hood

https://candlerpark.org/fallfest/
Thanks!

And thank you for the discussion!
Not sure that this kind of discussion is allowed here, I might report you both to Management!

:D :D :D

Well done Gentlemen.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU88 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:32 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:30 pm
Just realized the link I pulled was from 2019 this is for 2021 in my hood

https://candlerpark.org/fallfest/
Thanks!

And thank you for the discussion!
Not sure that this kind of discussion is allowed here, I might report you both to Management!

:D :D :D

Well done Gentlemen.
I think I’m already known as a “habitual line stepper”. Nothing new
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

While white supremacists indulge their bigotries in the Cult of Trump, the rest of America is enjoying the talents of Korean creative artists.

"Korean talent, whether it's K-pop, Korean actors, Korean filmmakers, Korean athletes — there's so much demand for this group of talent that every company in the United States is trying to figure out how to bring that talent over," Alexander said.

Not only is the demand for Korean talent high, but the cost is also often lower, meaning Netflix could soon begin to devote resources to creating more content like "Squid Game," he said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... s-n1280646

Parasite, BTS, Squid Game … all good stuff.

Meanwhile, Trump Cultists are indulging in their sick QAnon delusions and racist, grotesque hatred of Black Lives Matter.

Pathetic.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:11 pm While white supremacists indulge their bigotries in the Cult of Trump, the rest of America is enjoying the talents of Korean creative artists.

"Korean talent, whether it's K-pop, Korean actors, Korean filmmakers, Korean athletes — there's so much demand for this group of talent that every company in the United States is trying to figure out how to bring that talent over," Alexander said.

Not only is the demand for Korean talent high, but the cost is also often lower, meaning Netflix could soon begin to devote resources to creating more content like "Squid Game," he said.

Meanwhile, Trump Cultists are indulging in their sick QAnon delusions and racist, grotesque hatred of Black Lives Matter.

Pathetic.

I love Korean Cinema.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:11 pm While white supremacists indulge their bigotries in the Cult of Trump, the rest of America is enjoying the talents of Korean creative artists.

Pathetic.

I love Korean Cinema.
Oldboy-cool

KPop-not cool
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:14 pm

Pathetic.

I love Korean Cinema.
Oldboy-cool

KPop-not cool
Old Boy is fantastic. So is I Saw The Devil!
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Still better than Germany!

Auschwitz-Birkenau Barracks Vandalized With Anti-Semitic Graffiti
The spray-painted inscriptions included slogans denying the Holocaust; conservators are working on removing the vandalism

The Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum reported the vandalism of nine barracks to local police; barracks at the site in 2005.
PHOTO: CZAREK SOKOLOWSKI/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Allison Prang
Oct. 6, 2021 10:27 am ET

SAVE

TEXT

Listen to article
Length 2 minutes

Queue
Wooden barracks at the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum were vandalized Tuesday with anti-Semitic inscriptions, the memorial said.

Spray-painted inscriptions in English and German included slogans denying the Holocaust and two Old Testament references often used by anti-Semites, the memorial said. It reported the vandalism of the nine barracks in the Birkenau camp site to local police, and said video surveillance and the inscriptions were both being analyzed.

“Such an incident—an offense against the Memorial Site—is, above all, an outrageous attack on the symbol of one of the greatest tragedies in human history and an extremely painful blow to the memory of all the victims of the German Nazi Auschwitz-Birkenau camp,” the memorial said in a statement on Twitter. More than one million people died at the camp in Poland, which was the biggest German Nazi concentration camp.

Conservators have started working on removing the vandalism from the barracks, a spokesperson for the memorial said.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
The 10-Point.

A personal, guided tour to the best scoops and stories every day in The Wall Street Journal.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
Israeli researchers have said the Covid-19 pandemic spurred anti-Semitic sentiment globally.

The 2020 assessment of global anti-Semitism by Kantor Center at Tel Aviv University said that while lockdowns last year lessened violent physical incidents, the level of vandalism against Jewish property and institutions remained unchanged. “Prejudice, superstition, primordial emotions, and bizarre theories surfaced and dominated the scene, and manifestations of antisemitism, both verbal and visual, were vicious and outrageous,” the report said.

Separately on Wednesday, the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany said first-time pensions from the German government have been allotted for nearly 6,500 more Holocaust survivors.

The monthly pensions of €375, the equivalent of $443, are specifically for those who survived the Leningrad Siege, people who survived persecution in Romania and those who were hiding in France. The allocations are for those not getting Shoah-related pensions currently, the Claims Conference said.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Private Prisons Still Make Money From Federal Inmates Despite Biden’s Executive Order
Private-prison operators are replacing revenues from some lapsed federal contracts by clinching deals at the city or county level to house federal inmates

Prison companies CoreCivic and GEO Group are plugging some of the revenue gaps stemming from President Biden’s executive order by signing deals with cities and counties. Here, a GEO Group facility in Tacoma, Wash.
PHOTO: TED S. WARREN/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Alexander Saeedy
Updated Oct. 8, 2021 5:32 am ET

SAVE

TEXT
Prison operators are striking deals with municipalities to replace expiring federal contracts, cushioning the financial blow from the Biden administration’s efforts to disentangle the U.S. government from privately run detention facilities.

Days after President Joe Biden was inaugurated, he ordered the Justice Department not to renew any expiring contracts with privately operated jails and prisons, while honoring existing agreements. Investors sold off the stocks and bonds of contractors including CoreCivic Inc. and GEO Group Inc. in response, concerned about a pullback in federal support for private prisons.

CoreCivic and GEO Group, the prison industry’s two major publicly traded companies, are plugging some of the revenue gaps created by the expiration of federal contracts by signing new deals known as intergovernmental agreements involving cities and counties.

These three-way agreements allow the federal government to hand off custody of prisoners serving time for federal crimes or awaiting sentencing from a federal judge to localities. City and county law enforcement then transfer those inmates to private detention facilities they have contracted with.

“From the private prisons’ perspective, there’s not much difference between a direct contract with the federal government and intergovernmental service contracts, except that it allows the White House to say they are not directly contracted with the private prisons,” said Joe Gomes, a senior research analyst at investment bank Noble Capital Markets.

Municipalities will first agree to take custody of federal prisoners, such as detainees of the U.S. Marshals Service awaiting federal trial or inmates incarcerated by the Bureau of Prisons, with the federal agency paying the localities a per-diem rate for each prisoner. Local officials separately contract with a private prison to house those federal inmates. In exchange, prisons typically pay the localities a service fee, designed to make the transaction still economically enticing for the jurisdictions, which are transferring a large share of the federal funding to the private prisons.

The multiparty contracts allow the federal government to avoid a direct relationship with the private prisons, as required by January’s executive order, according to financial analysts and researchers covering the industry. But federal dollars continue to flow to prison operators, albeit indirectly.

Some intergovernmental agreements predate the Biden administration, and not all expired federal prison contracts have been replaced by intergovernmental agreements since the executive order was issued.

But their use might increase, according to Lauren-Brooke Eisen, director of the Brennan Center for Justice, a think tank focused on criminal justice reform, as the federal government still needs beds for its inmates, and state-owned facilities struggle to house them.

“While the federal government can house some detainees in local jails, they still crucially depend on the capacity that for-profit firms provide,” Ms. Eisen said. “And the executive order has opened a loophole that makes it possible for some privately owned detention centers to continue to operate.”

An alternative to intergovernmental agreements is unlikely to emerge if the federal government doesn’t commit to increasing state-run prison capacity or reducing its overall inmate population, according to some researchers. Although imprisonment rates in the U.S. have been falling since around 2010, private facilities still housed roughly 16% of all federal prisoners as of 2019, according to the Justice Department.

Last year, the federal government accounted for 55% of CoreCivic’s revenue.
PHOTO: BING GUAN/REUTERS
Justice Department contracts accounted for roughly a quarter of revenues for CoreCivic and Geo Group in the first half of this year. In 2020, CoreCivic recorded revenue of $999 million from all federal agencies, representing 55% of its total revenue. For GEO Group, last year’s revenue from the federal government totaled $1.3 billion, accounting for 56% of the total.

Junk-rated CoreCivic and GEO Group had total debts of roughly $1.5 billion and $2.9 billion, respectively, as of June 30, according to public filings.

In May, Mahoning County in Ohio signed a three-year intergovernmental agreement with the federal government and CoreCivic to house federal prisoners at a correctional center the company owns and operates in Youngstown, after a U.S. Marshals Service contract with CoreCivic expired at the end of May and wasn’t renewed.

The Mahoning County sheriff’s office will charge the federal government a fee for housing detainees and then pay CoreCivic for keeping those prisoners at the CoreCivic-owned Youngstown facility, Mahoning County Sheriff Jerry Greene said at a public meeting in May.

“The biggest benefit was that it was basically saving jobs in the city of Youngstown,” Mr. Greene said at the meeting. The county had looked into taking over operating the CoreCivic facility but decided on the intergovernmental agreement instead, he said.

“One of the most important ways we serve our government partners is through the flexibility we provide, and we’ll continue working with them in the ways they desire and need,” a CoreCivic spokesman said.

READ MORE ABOUT PRIVATE PRISONS

Federal Court Blocks California Law Banning Private Prisons (Oct. 5)
Private Prisons Could See Fortunes Change Under Biden Immigration Policy (April 30)
Biden Signs Executive Order to Phase Out Federal Use of Private Prisons (Jan. 26)
CoreCivic and GEO Group are now negotiating intergovernmental agreements with localities to replace expiring direct contracts they have with the federal government, including at a CoreCivic-owned facility in Leavenworth, Kan., and GEO Group’s Western Region Detention Facility in San Diego, according to city and county documents.

In the California deal being negotiated, GEO Group and the federal government have proposed an intergovernmental agreement with the city of McFarland in the San Joaquin Valley to transport federal inmates to GEO’s San Diego facility nearly 250 miles away, an arrangement that would net the town a flat fee of $500,000 annually paid by GEO for administering the contract.

Some advocacy groups say the proposed arrangement would circumvent the Biden policy and unfairly put McFarland in charge of transporting prisoners in and out of San Diego County, whose sheriff’s office has declined to cooperate with GEO Group. McFarland officials and the San Diego sheriff’s office didn’t reply to requests for comment.

“If GEO’s cynical ploy to continue operating the Western Region Detention Facility prevails, it would render President Biden’s executive order meaningless,” said Jordan Wells, staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. “The executive order is meant to eliminate the use of privately operated facilities, not to continue their use under restyled contracts,” he said.

GEO Group Chief Executive Jose Gordo said on an earnings call in August there had been no pushback from the federal government on intergovernmental agreements but it was “too early to tell” if it could be a template to replace all existing direct contracts with the federal government.

A GEO Group spokeswoman referred questions to the Justice Department.

A Justice Department spokeswoman said Tuesday the agency is committed to implementing the president’s executive order on private detention facilities.

“The U.S. Marshals Service is carefully examining its existing contracts with these facilities, mindful that any plans should avoid unnecessarily disrupting court appearances, access to counsel and family support,” the spokeswoman said.

Write to Alexander Saeedy at [email protected]
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dave- ... uxbndlbing

Dave Chappelle makes some observations that should not be just brushed off.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dave- ... uxbndlbing

What do you believe his observation is?
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dave- ... uxbndlbing

They took 20% of the damn alphabet!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

“We Blacks,” he says, “we look at the gay community and we go … ‘Look how well that movement is going. Look how well you are doing. And we’ve been trapped in this predicament for hundreds of years. How … are you making that kind of progress?’ I can’t help but feel like if slaves had baby oil and booty shorts, we might have been free a hundred years sooner.”

The comic himself says in the special that anyone familiar with his work should know “that I have never had a problem with transgender people. If you listen to what I’m saying clearly, my problem has always been with White people.”

He's mad at me and my people. And I kind of get it. But I don't totally "get it"

https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/no ... an-gets-it
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

You can always count on South Park to pull through.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I don't need to explain it. Mr Chappelle said it himself. Listen and judge for yourself. IMO he believes the LGBTQ community is light years ahead of black Americans on the road to being accepted. Mr Chappelle made an observation about the rapper I believed to be nothing short of brilliant. You can shoot a n****r dead and no one cares. You criticize the LGBTQ community and you quickly become a social outcast.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:47 pm

I don't need to explain it. Mr Chappelle said it himself. Listen and judge for yourself. IMO he believes the LGBTQ community is light years ahead of black Americans on the road to being accepted. Mr Chappelle made an observation about the rapper I believed to be nothing short of brilliant. You can shoot a n****r dead and no one cares. You criticize the LGBTQ community and you quickly become a social outcast.
That’s your take? If you are black and fall into a LGBTQ classification you good?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:06 pm

That’s your take? If you are black and fall into a LGBTQ classification you good?
Watched "The Closer" today on Netflix with my wife.
Chappelle requires a heck of a lot of patience and thought IMO to get past the gross offensiveness of much of what he says...on purpose to get our attention...and he does get our attention...

He has important, serious points amongst the offensive jokes...but I don't think that just because he's actually very, very serious underneath, that means he's actually right on each matter.

On this particular 'bit', I found his "glory hole" stuff gross and off-putting (but that was the intent)...no issue with embrace of Stonewall etc, but he misses the key insight as to why gay rights have advanced so rapidly recently, and it's not a matter of 'white' vs 'black'...it's that when the conversation turned towards people willing to be committed to one another in love, rather than about random sex, the identification with that desire overwhelmed the lack of identification with the sexual preference. That could have been included, instead of the attack on the "brittleness" of the "today's gays"...but he was going for another point. A serious point about the difficulty of moving the racial questions forward.

And you're right, he's willing to offend gay and trans in the interest of his points about race. Positioning race versus gay, rights and respect?

And seems to me that there's a miss in simply highlighting the intransigence on race this way...what moved the US so strikingly in the late '50's and '60's? The images white America saw of those non-violent, beaten and killed, dogs barking, little children...there was a visceral identification with those children, human beings...and with George Floyd, BLM...but how best can we move this forward more?

In the gay rights movement, there was a strategic choice made to emphasize marriage...is there any potential analogue? Or is this intransigence inevitable?

I don't have any of these answers, but I'd have liked Chappelle to have grappled with it, and not be positioning race versus 'gender' etc...

But I'm an old white guy...for me, watching Chappelle at least makes me think...

I'd be interested in other perspectives...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Chappelle requires a heck of a lot of patience and thought IMO to get past the gross offensiveness of much of what he says...on purpose to get our attention...and he does get our attention...

He has important, serious points amongst the offensive jokes...but I don't think that just because he's actually very, very serious underneath, that means he's actually right on each matter.

On this particular 'bit', I found his "glory hole" stuff gross and off-putting (but that was the intent)...no issue with embrace of Stonewall etc, but he misses the key insight as to why gay rights have advanced so rapidly recently, and it's not a matter of 'white' vs 'black'...it's that when the conversation turned towards people willing to be committed to one another in love, rather than about random sex, the identification with that desire overwhelmed the lack of identification with the sexual preference. That could have been included, instead of the attack on the "brittleness" of the "today's gays"...but he was going for another point. A serious point about the difficulty of moving the racial questions forward.

And you're right, he's willing to offend gay and trans in the interest of his points about race. Positioning race versus gay, rights and respect?

And seems to me that there's a miss in simply highlighting the intransigence on race this way...what moved the US so strikingly in the late '50's and '60's? The images white America saw of those non-violent, beaten and killed, dogs barking, little children...there was a visceral identification with those children, human beings...and with George Floyd, BLM...but how best can we move this forward more?

In the gay rights movement, there was a strategic choice made to emphasize marriage...is there any potential analogue? Or is this intransigence inevitable?

I don't have any of these answers, but I'd have liked Chappelle to have grappled with it, and not be positioning race versus 'gender' etc...

But I'm an old white guy...for me, watching Chappelle at least makes me think...

I haven’t seen the routine but it’s nothing I haven’t heard maybe 100 times. Some of it is about those in control of the media in a position to push a progressive agenda in the media. I like Dave….I know one of his best friends from Yellow Springs and a friend’s son has been to his house….Plenty of people have been criticized for offensive language directed at black people. Grudin (jerk that he is) is getting heat now. A neighbor went to college with him and had a dust up with him at a bar when Grudin was being an ass. There have been plenty of examples…Jimmy the Greek….this baseball announcers Jim Kaat just yesterday I believe….Dave is exaggerating.

EDIT: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/sport/ji ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Who wants to change places

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VJmvfbDdhFg
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I haven’t seen this one but the guys ability to translate the issues he and many others carry around has seemed transcendent to me. How many people walk away from a $50mm contract because fans, especially the white people throwing money at him, completely missed the point of what he was doing and saying? https://www.looper.com/266269/the-real- ... etch-show/

How many comedians make you think? That’s a valuable talent that very few possess. Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor a few others but not many. You’re not going to get a Marc Maron (son of orthopedic surgeon growing up affluent in N NJ and Boston University educated) out of a guy with Chappelle background which makes his talent that much more special.

Of course it’s a perspective and not going to be holistic but it’s how he illuminates a perspective shared by many people best I can tell. (now I’m speaking for black people so forgive me this please) If comedy, or any art, were meant to be well rounded it wold all be in coffee shops in front of some couches and a nice oak table with stacks of the New Yorker and The Nation piled up. And I’d find some other counterculture avenues to explore. Gotta get past the limitations but the value is immense. Same with some hip hop. This stuff is better than rocking around a bunch of Jackson Pollacks and Warhol’s IMO.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:02 pm

I haven’t seen the routine but it’s nothing I haven’t heard maybe 100 times. Some of it is about those in control of the media in a position to push a progressive agenda in the media. I like Dave….I know one of his best friends from Yellow Springs and a friend’s son has been to his house….Plenty of people have been criticized for offensive language directed at black people. Grudin (jerk that he is) is getting heat now. A neighbor went to college with him and had a dust up with him at a bar when Grudin was being an ass. There have been plenty of examples…Jimmy the Greek….this baseball announcers Jim Kaat just yesterday I believe….Dave is exaggerating.

EDIT: https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/08/sport/ji ... index.html
Baseball is messed up. Dick Allen was a superior ball player to almost all the clowns who runs their mouths.

Read Crash as a teenager and he became my favorite player I never saw play. Even met him once and paid for an autograph because he started doing that but when I got to him in the line I just shook his hand because that’s what he said he wanted

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... d.amp.html

Return to “POLITICS”