NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by Laxxal22 »

What Unknown Participant said is largely true. Through captains practices in the fall and January, a non recruited player gets plenty of time to show his abilities to guys on the team. If a kid is killing it, the captains will definitely make sure the coach knows. But up until now they'd only have a few practices (starting mid February) in front of a coaching staff that is already trying to play catch up with the rest of DIII. It's just more/better evaluation time by the ultimate decision makers than before.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:44 pm What Unknown Participant said is largely true. Through captains practices in the fall and January, a non recruited player gets plenty of time to show his abilities to guys on the team. If a kid is killing it, the captains will definitely make sure the coach knows. But up until now they'd only have a few practices (starting mid February) in front of a coaching staff that is already trying to play catch up with the rest of DIII. It's just more/better evaluation time by the ultimate decision makers than before.
I third this. Guys who are trying to walk on generally schedule a meeting with the coach in the fall, introduce themselves, talk shop a bit and then go to what can be pretty extensive captains' practices. It is true the coach does not get many looks at them live but if the captains report good things you can be sure the coach has watched high school film on the player before real practices start.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

Putting a finer point on Captain's practice - Does NESCAC really allow full captain's practices? I thought full practices were not sanctioned, and that small group practices are all that is allowed (or tolerated anyway). A large group of players practicing is against the rules, no?
NESLAX

Post by NESLAX »

NESCAC has relaxed rules for this fall(at least). Coached practices are allowed for 15 or 16 practices per NCAA rules.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

NESLAX wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:02 pm NESCAC has relaxed rules for this fall(at least). Coached practices are allowed for 15 or 16 practices per NCAA rules.
Agreed, same as other NCAA DIII schools with 15 coach led practices, but no fall "games/scrimmages" against Alumni and other schools. Curious to see if it lasts next year, My son is on a team, so I have been informed that some scheduled practices that were lost to Covid rules don't count against total.

Best,
UP
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Even pre-COVID NESCAC teams had full captains practices, just without coaches allowed and no fall scrimmages.
Yubby10

Post by Yubby10 »

Looking for some honest feedback from those in the know about the NESCAC. Our son did well at a couple of showcases this summer and now two NESCAC schools have been in contact with him. They reached out to him first as neither were on his radar beforehand. He has medium to strong interest in both at this point. We are not from New England and know very little about the schools. Great academic reputations for both, however, the concerns are not academic but social. He is a very conservative Christian and quite frankly we are concerned how he will fit in socially as it seems both schools tend to be very liberal. We get it that part of learning is about hearing others views that you may disagree with at times and he is open to that and he is also very grounded and can defend his own beliefs very well. So the question for those in the know is what is the reality of NESCAC campuses? Will his beliefs potentially cause him to be a social outcast? Not trying to make this political just trying to understand the reality of what he may be stepping into.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Yubby10 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:04 pm Looking for some honest feedback from those in the know about the NESCAC. Our son did well at a couple of showcases this summer and now two NESCAC schools have been in contact with him. They reached out to him first as neither were on his radar beforehand. He has medium to strong interest in both at this point. We are not from New England and know very little about the schools. Great academic reputations for both, however, the concerns are not academic but social. He is a very conservative Christian and quite frankly we are concerned how he will fit in socially as it seems both schools tend to be very liberal. We get it that part of learning is about hearing others views that you may disagree with at times and he is open to that and he is also very grounded and can defend his own beliefs very well. So the question for those in the know is what is the reality of NESCAC campuses? Will his beliefs potentially cause him to be a social outcast? Not trying to make this political just trying to understand the reality of what he may be stepping into.
Trust what your gut tells you. He should at least visit the schools and form his own opinion. But I believe your thinking isn’t far off from the reality of these schools. It’s not just NESCAC, it seems more schools then not lean pretty far left.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Yubby10 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:04 pm Looking for some honest feedback from those in the know about the NESCAC. Our son did well at a couple of showcases this summer and now two NESCAC schools have been in contact with him. They reached out to him first as neither were on his radar beforehand. He has medium to strong interest in both at this point. We are not from New England and know very little about the schools. Great academic reputations for both, however, the concerns are not academic but social. He is a very conservative Christian and quite frankly we are concerned how he will fit in socially as it seems both schools tend to be very liberal. We get it that part of learning is about hearing others views that you may disagree with at times and he is open to that and he is also very grounded and can defend his own beliefs very well. So the question for those in the know is what is the reality of NESCAC campuses? Will his beliefs potentially cause him to be a social outcast? Not trying to make this political just trying to understand the reality of what he may be stepping into.
Now I’m curious. Is he pro-life, and does he think Democrats stole the election? Showing up to orientation with a MAGA hat might not win too many points at the freshperson mixer, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some people that share similar opinions or values. Is the next best five-dollar footlong the first thing that comes to his mind when he hears LGTBQ? Tell him not to respond to the BLM supporters with “all lives matter.”

In all seriousness… I think for as similar as the NESCACs are, each one is a bit different regarding the climates and the communities. They might recruit similar kids academically, but the kid that chooses Wesleyan over Amherst, or vice versa, is likely a bit different. That being said, are all of them more liberal and progressive than Bob Jones University? Yes. I am familiar with some of the schools, but my biggest suggestion would be to set foot on campus if there is above-average interest to see for yourself. Also, don’t be afraid to ask the coaches for contact info for some players so he can connect with them. Ask them questions. Let him get a feel for the players, team, and community, but also let the players get a feel for him.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I spent several years on staff at a NESCAC school (a very liberal one) and my advice is definitely to visit. Your thoughts are probably not a stretch, but there are differences at each school. A story I’ll share is that after Trump was elected a student took took photos of the conservative watch party, which had lacrosse players present, and posted them all over the library with devil horns and signs saying they were racist and trying destroy the country. That student was celebrated by most of the student body and faculty rather than disciplined. That being said, there will be groups of like minded students, and you can graduate and get yourself into some phenomenal interview rooms. Most of the players said it’s 4 years of suck for 40 years of success.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Switzerland wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:02 pm
Now I’m curious. Is he pro-life, and does he think Democrats stole the election? Showing up to orientation with a MAGA hat might not win too many points at the freshperson mixer, but that doesn’t mean there won’t be some people that share similar opinions or values. Is the next best five-dollar footlong the first thing that comes to his mind when he hears LGTBQ? Tell him not to respond to the BLM supporters with “all lives matter.”

In all seriousness… I think for as similar as the NESCACs are, each one is a bit different regarding the climates and the communities. They might recruit similar kids academically, but the kid that chooses Wesleyan over Amherst, or vice versa, is likely a bit different. That being said, are all of them more liberal and progressive than Bob Jones University? Yes. I am familiar with some of the schools, but my biggest suggestion would be to set foot on campus if there is above-average interest to see for yourself. Also, don’t be afraid to ask the coaches for contact info for some players so he can connect with them. Ask them questions. Let him get a feel for the players, team, and community, but also let the players get a feel for him.
There are plenty of moderate to conservative students at all Nescac schools and, fortunately, many can be found on the lacrosse, hockey and football teams. My son's basically conservative and he loves his Nescac school and his teammates.
Ddw1

Post by Ddw1 »

Your son should definitely check out the two NESCAC institutions. Having attended a NESCAC institution, and having a son currently attending one, I can assure you that there is a strong conservative constituency on these campuses, and, in fact, there are some who would say that many of the NESCAC institutions are, in reality, very conservative, although they wrap or package themselves in liberal wrapping paper. Good luck with the process!
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:54 pm
I spent several years on staff at a NESCAC school (a very liberal one) and my advice is definitely to visit. Your thoughts are probably not a stretch, but there are differences at each school. A story I’ll share is that after Trump was elected a student took took photos of the conservative watch party, which had lacrosse players present, and posted them all over the library with devil horns and signs saying they were racist and trying destroy the country. That student was celebrated by most of the student body and faculty rather than disciplined. That being said, there will be groups of like minded students, and you can graduate and get yourself into some phenomenal interview rooms. Most of the players said it’s 4 years of suck for 40 years of success.
Devil horns? Impossible. They would be guilty of appropriating Christian iconography.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

NESCAC has some great academic schools and is the best lax conference in D3. Geographically it might be the toughest conference for travel, depending upon the school the distances between schools compared to other conferences can be substantial…If invited I would certainly visit. Afterwards I’d head south and visit W&L and compare 😉.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I second the W&L visit....I'd also look at Hampden Sydney, Sewanee, F&M, Rhodes, Roanoke, Gettysburg, Eastern, Messiah, Gordon, Grove City etc...
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I'd add OWU and maybe Ned could speak about Denison.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Eastern, Messiah, Grove City would definitely be on my list for Christian values- Messiah probably the first stop.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I think he'll do fine with the team but it might be borderline impossible for him to find a girlfriend.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:07 am I'd add OWU and maybe Ned could speak about Denison.
Why does OWU make so many peoples lists?
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

UpperCorner » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:01 pm
MrLax2U wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:07 am
I'd add OWU and maybe Ned could speak about Denison.
Why does OWU make so many peoples lists?
Greetings Upper Corner,

I’ll take a shot at your question but Ned and several of the other NCAC posters can probably give better answers at least about the current situation.

OWU has a long, storied lax history. Mike Pressler coached there before he decamped to Duke. OWU is #3 on the all-time Salisbury opponent list. The Gull/Battlin Bishop rivalry reached a head when the Bishop fans lead by their band attacked the Gull players on the field. The rivalry continued but for 20 years the Gulls refused to travel to Ohio so the OWU home games were played at a neutral field.

That said their traditional rival is Denison.

Good academic school? I’d say yes by reputation. Christian values? The name and moniker say so but who am I to judge.

My advice would be to visit and talk to some of the students.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”