Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:30 am Hopfan and 51% literally misrepresented facts. What i am unsure of is whether they lied or just gave way to base impulse.

The NCAA states the problem began in academic year 2016/2017. Tom Calder announced his change of position in January 2016. Academic year 2015/2016. The issue is the failure of the successor. Has any AD ever served a shorter term than she did.

BTW at one time in his career TC worked in NCAA compliance and was always meticulous about it knowing the place lax played at Hopkins.

Let me help you .. quoting the NCAA

During the spring and summer of 2020, the institution discovered that multiple Division I financial aid violations occurred during the 2016-17 through 2019-20 academic years.
Gun to your head, do you think you could name three players on the current roster without looking at the website?

Hopkins lacrosse is bigger than one coach or one administrator. Both of them are now at new schools. None of this matters anymore.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Sure.
Bob DeSimone shooting, Scott Smith in goal, and Jamison Koesterer playing in front of him.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:30 am Hopfan and 51% literally misrepresented facts. What i am unsure of is whether they lied or just gave way to base impulse.
What are you talking about? What specific fact did I lie about or misrepresent? You can't even spell so to take anyone to task for being off by a year or so of when Calder/Shanahan/Baker was the AD is as they say "Rich"
The only thing I can remember saying about Calder is that if he got forced out that was unfortunate and I have no knowledge of any of the details
What I said about Shanahan were a few things:
- The overall Hopkins athletic program was very successful during her brief time - whatever years you want to classify
- She parlayed that Hopkins AD job into a bigger job at Hopkins and then a bigger job at her alma mater Penn in short order - so she apparently ain't stupid
- Now read carefully OC - we know you have trouble with this - but she did not appear to have influenced Petro's recruiting - they allowed the verbals to essentially 8th graders and high school freshmen AND the vast majority of those who verbaled showed up and there is not one famous instance of a commitment being denied admission - this does NOT mean that Petro got every recruit he wanted

I did not comment much about the NCAA infraction at all - I thought the textbook thing was stupid and I have an opinion that Petro played a role - here is exactly what I posted on May 31st:

"Maybe Alanna should have identified that an appeals process was missing and a deadline was missed but the incessant juggling that was going on was created by someone else and we all know who that was.

Another small turd left on Milliman's desk to clean up. And given that the worst infraction appeared tied to the men's program - missing a renewal letter deadline and this "carry the one" on the textbooks (that one is on the AD and staff) appear very puny - I wonder if Janine is wondering what the license number of the bus was."

By the way - none of that is fact -it's opinion.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Final thought on the roster size. I - of course - have no idea what the magic number is. I am of the stong opinion that less is more in this case whatever the number. Taking away all the opinions on team chemistry/practice time/injuries etc etc. the smallest possible roster carries with it one tangible unassailable benefit - 12.6 divided by a smaller number produces a larger percentage which clearly does not hurt your recruiting - it can only be either a help or a non issue. No recruit ever turned down Hopkins because they were going to receive too much money.

Talent does matter - the last time the Hopkins lacrosse team raised the gold trophy over ther heads - 5 of the starting 6 offensive players were IL Top 10's - I'll insert a Tracy Morgan "pretty sure" here without the dire consequences of being wrong - but Rabil/Huntley/Boyle/Peyser/Byrne I think were and Kimmel was likely Top 20. We now seem to have accepted that we're not competitive for most of those players anymore - maybe you get a couple if they get an offer they can't refuse.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

The growth of the game is partly to blame for roster bloat. Decades ago a coach could recruit the 3 hot beds (Baltimore/Annapolis, Long Island, and upstate NY) and see a vast majority of the talent. These days, there is far more talent and it is geographically dispersed. Much harder to have faith that the highly rated HS player will pan out now than it was way back when. A larger roster provides risk management for both players who don't pan out (far more likely now than back in the day) as well as injuries.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Rosters have be larger than 40 even though you play only 20-25 . Players graduate and it takes time to develop most at most schools if you are to be competitive. Not every good program gets 5 stars that can just walk in and play . 45 is very manageable . Rutgers 2022 roster is higher this year at 53, 28 seniors again with 23 being returnees and 5 grad students coming in from portal . Would expect many seniors who hit field to return in 23 for their fifth year . Brecht has done a good balancing act so far plotting roster and incorporating transfers. Been a good locker room.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Another 4-star
4 ⭐️ junior Triston Jewell '23, M, Mater Dei (Calif.) / @WestCoastStarz, Cali Gold has committed to @JHUmenslacrosse. A phenomenal athlete from SoCal who can get up and down the field, Jewell was named MVP of the @ILInvitational Session II All-Star Game: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dmKPUMuR_WQ
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/14 ... 7700942848

Started a bit slow but recruiting is picking up. The days of a top 3 class every single year are over obviously but if IL ratings are something that matter to you then the staff still seems to be doing a pretty good job, especially coming off of two losing seasons. If we start winning then things will get even better.

A post on this kid's high school's Instagram said it was his dream to go to Hop and that Kyle Harrison was his favorite player growing up. So I guess they do still exist.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm Another 4-star
4 ⭐️ junior Triston Jewell '23, M, Mater Dei (Calif.) / @WestCoastStarz, Cali Gold has committed to @JHUmenslacrosse. A phenomenal athlete from SoCal who can get up and down the field, Jewell was named MVP of the @ILInvitational Session II All-Star Game: https://youtube.com/watch?v=dmKPUMuR_WQ

Started a bit slow but recruiting is picking up. The days of a top 3 class every single year are over obviously but if IL ratings are something that matter to you then the staff still seems to be doing a pretty good job, especially coming off of two losing seasons. If we start winning then things will get even better.

A post on this kid's high school's Instagram said it was his dream to go to Hop and that Kyle Harrison was his favorite player growing up. So I guess they do still exist.
Hopkins lives in a pretty unique world of being a top 10 academic institution that is able to offer athletic scholarships in lacrosse. Only Duke lives in that world as well. You can expand that to top 20 schools and that only brings in Notre Dame. Hopkins just needs to start consistently winning again and they will have plenty of kids wanting to come to Homewood.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The IVYs do mostly offer free rides based on HHI thresholds which isn’t the same but surely helps with many kids from CNY/WNY. Otherwise a interesting point.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Field Hockey is 5-0, Football is 5-0, Volleyball is on a 50 game win streak, Soccer is 8-0-2, womens soccer is 8-0-1. Time for lacrosse to get it going. Whatever the alleged handcuffs the administration is putting on sports don't seem to be affecting the other programs right now.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:14 pm Field Hockey is 5-0, Football is 5-0, Volleyball is on a 50 game win streak, Soccer is 8-0-2, womens soccer is 8-0-1. Time for lacrosse to get it going. Whatever the alleged handcuffs the administration is putting on sports don't seem to be affecting the other programs right now.
Wait but I thought all the D3 coaches wanted to off themselves because Ronny D was making their lives so miserable. At least that's what I read on FanLax.com
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm The IVYs do mostly offer free rides based on HHI thresholds which isn’t the same but surely helps with many kids from CNY/WNY. Otherwise a interesting point.
With the Bloomberg money Hopkins can offer a ton of aid as well allowing their 12.6 to go even farther. It really is an advantage. Just need to start winning to capitalize on it.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:49 pm Another 4-star

Cool!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

hmmm wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:25 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:30 pm The IVYs do mostly offer free rides based on HHI thresholds which isn’t the same but surely helps with many kids from CNY/WNY. Otherwise a interesting point.
With the Bloomberg money Hopkins can offer a ton of aid as well allowing their 12.6 to go even farther. It really is an advantage. Just need to start winning to capitalize on it.
The team needs to at least get back to the playoffs this year and get on ESPN.
Heck of a tough schedule though.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I’m sure that will be a noticeable help soon. Up until about 4/5 years ago they were not allowed to stack financial aid and scholarships. That is now permissible and is a big advantage to schools with strong financial aid who are fully funded. It’s a big disadvantage to some of the big state schools that have limited financial aid and high out of state cost. Especially the more “blue collar” and less “affluent” state schools like a Penn State and Ohio State.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:43 pm
I’m sure that will be a noticeable help soon. Up until about 4/5 years ago they were not allowed to stack financial aid and scholarships. That is now permissible and is a big advantage to schools with strong financial aid who are fully funded. It’s a big disadvantage to some of the big state schools that have limited financial aid and high out of state cost. Especially the more “blue collar” and less “affluent” state schools like a Penn State and Ohio State.
They still can't stack at Hopkins. But when a portion of your team qualifies for significant aid(in many cases more than they could get from a lax scholarship) it allows those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out to fewer guys and hence allows them to get higher scholarships.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

hmmm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 pm
They still can't stack at Hopkins. But when a portion of your team qualifies for significant aid(in many cases more than they could get from a lax scholarship) it allows those 12.6 scholarships to be spread out to fewer guys and hence allows them to get higher scholarships.
Why can’t they? Is that their own institutional decision?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:59 pm
this is the first i've heard of a change, and that's v good news (for all those institutions that don't care that the cost of olympic sports just shot up). hopefully, their endowments are up and they're in care-free mode.

looks like it happened last summer. i'd have to imagine hopkins is taking advantage, and if they're not i'd really be interested in the why also.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Yes it is an institutional decision on whether to allow stacking. Now at most schools it’s stacking academic and athletic money. Financial aid usually can’t be stacked with athletic money anywhere. The Bloomberg money is financial aid grants and therefore can’t be combined with athletic money.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hmmm wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm
Yes it is an institutional decision on whether to allow stacking. Now at most schools it’s stacking academic and athletic money. Financial aid usually can’t be stacked with athletic money anywhere. The Bloomberg money is financial aid grants and therefore can’t be combined with athletic money.
when you say can't be, do you mean by jhu edict?
edit: didn't read your post thoroughly. the rule changed for division 1 last august 1, 2020. financial doesn't ding athletic scholly totals any longer.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”