The Biden - Harris Era.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: The Biden - Harris Era.

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why are there so many tree lined streets in Paris?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm
Why are there so many tree lined streets in Paris?
Because Germans like to March in the shade!

(Clean joke, gotta be 20yrs old and I still love it mainly because I love mocking France)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:40 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:38 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:55 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:49 pm People are dying needlessly- but it's a conscious decision. Let them. More vaccines and boosters for me and mine.
IMO, the Government SHOULD give up. You can lead a horse to water, etc.
The consequences are on the unvaccinated. The people who ARE vaccinated can carry on a more normal life with less fear and have a less of a chance of dying or being seriously hospitalized. Those who aren't vaccinated can take their chances and use my respirator if they need it. We've flattened the curve. There will be spikes. But it's time to move on.
Mark this down! Not only was I correct (you've given up)....you were kind enough to admit that I'm correct.

I agree that it will be time to move on the minute kids can get the vaccine. Until then, kids are still powerless in dealing with the choices of others.
I'll even say it out loud, Afan- YOU ARE correct! And I HAVE given up in this instance.

;)
:lol: I'm not gloating-------I was just proud of myself for reading between the lines correctly, for once! I get it wrong far too often, apparently, when it comes to understanding what another poster of thinking.
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm My hope is that everyone else, including Biden, does too. The vaccine is the answer. Period. It's the only answer.
Yes, but he can't give up---not responsibly-----until kids can get it. He's acting rationally and responsibly in moving to protect them. Anyone responsible for the welfare of kids should throw the kitchen sink at anything that harms them.

Once kids are good? Yep, agree. Move on. Forcing these people to do this simply hardens their resolve, just like saying "no" to a child.
I think you push through with kids.
Then you work on getting the other vaccines aside from Pfizer approved.
Can't get to 70% in the US? Take the lead in pushing safe, approved, vaccines worldwide. Including our southern neighbors, and in countries that need medical infrastructure help. Let's be a global saving grace and nation builder again, only in a very simple, (non mandated and pushy) way.
It appears Biden or his handlers are reading fanlax:

As I suggested a week ago, good to see Biden is doing something globally since the efforts in the US have stalled.

https://www.aol.com/news/dose-hope-bide ... 21007.html
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 pm(Clean joke, gotta be 20yrs old and I still love it mainly because I love mocking France)
J'agite mes parties intimes dans ta direction générale...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 pm(Clean joke, gotta be 20yrs old and I still love it mainly because I love mocking France)

No enteindo?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Can’t make this up. The person that was ‘in charge’ of the border, is now calling for an investigation in to the issues going on at the border.

I wonder if they know how to get out of a wet paper bag? 😂😂🤷‍♂️

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

:lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:13 am

:lol: :lol:
Can’t be that funny when over half his jokes and posted cartoons are lame.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Kamala Harris Might Have to Stop the Steal
Last year, Republican officials in key states refused to do the president’s bidding, and the Democratic majority in the House served as an extra backstop. When Trump backers in Congress formally objected to the certifications of Arizona and Pennsylvania—two states that Biden won—the House voted down the objections even though a majority of Republicans supported them. Since the election, however, GOP state legislatures in each of the tipping-points states have introduced or enacted laws that could make it easier to subvert elections, and Trump allies have moved to purge Republicans who bucked him in 2020. In Georgia, for example, Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger faces a primary challenge from a conservative member of Congress, Representative Jody Hice, who backed Trump’s efforts to overturn the election.

Next year’s midterm elections, often a challenge for the party in power, pose an even greater threat to the future of American democracy. The GOP could regain majorities in Congress and oust Democratic governors seeking reelection in three states that narrowly voted for Biden—Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Republicans already control the state legislatures in those states, and winning the governorship could allow them to enact more laws to restrict voting and shift authority over elections away from courts and nonpartisan election administrators. To consolidate power even further, conservatives want the Supreme Court to accept a legal theory that would allow state legislatures to pass election laws that are not subject to review by state courts and possibly not even to a veto by their governor.

Victories by Trump-aligned Republicans over the next year in state races and in the courts could open the door to a worst-case scenario for 2024 that, if the election is as tight as the past two presidential races, is both dangerous and entirely plausible, says Ben Berwick, a counsel for Protect Democracy, a nonpartisan group founded in late 2016 to fight authoritarianism in the U.S. First, Berwick told me, Trump backers in the closest tipping-point states would “manufacture doubt about the results, and then use that doubt to allow state legislatures to step in and say, ‘Well, we can’t really be sure of the winner, so we’re just going to decide which slate of electors to choose.’” As my colleague Barton Gellman reported before last year’s election, ambiguities in the Electoral Count Act of 1887, which provides instructions to Congress for resolving disputes, could lead to chaos when lawmakers meet to tally the results.

Presiding over the assembly will be Harris, who, as Pence, Biden, and Gore did in previous elections, will likely appear on the ballot herself. What will she do—what can she do—if Republicans empowered with congressional majorities refuse to accept the certification of a Democratic win in one or more key states? How would she handle a certification from a Republican governor or secretary of state that appeared to subvert the popular vote in that state? What if, in other words, it were up to her to stop the steal? I asked Harris’s office how she viewed her role and whether she had, more than three years in advance, received briefings on her authority in those scenarios. “Vice President Harris will always fulfill the constitutional duties of the office,” Sabrina Singh, a spokesperson for Harris, replied. “We learned in 2020 that the most important principle in our democracy is that voters, not partisan politicians, choose the president.”
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Was his mandate to lead or simply to take out Trump? I think the latter and job accomplished despite some nasty insurrectionist behavior by the opponents.

I think it’s the AOCs, Bernies, Warrens and Omar’s who grossly misunderstand the mandate and ignore how they folded behind Biden at Bernies expense in Feb of 20.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

No argument from me on this failure.

And this is, in part, in reaction to the obvious: this is the only major bill Biden will pass....McConnell and Manchin won't allow any other major bills.

So this is the only chance for the other spending bill to pass. That's why it's taking so long.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Examiner article is a huge TROPE that the GOP would love to have you believe. "Mitch and Kevin continue relentless partisan opposition/obstruction, but hey, Joe SAID he'd bring bipartisanship...so...FAILURE!!" It's a load of buffalo bagels...fake news that we've seen before. Yawn.

Meanwhile in the real world, The Massive Biden Reset You Probably Don’t Even Know Is Happening
We are not putting the pieces together. Yes, it is noted that Biden has undone Trump policies like pulling out of international institutions from the WHO to the Paris climate accords to the Iran nuclear deal. But the re-engagement has gone further with work to advance new multilateral initiatives on climate, a new effort to combat the current pandemic and prepare for the next such outbreaks, systematic talks with key allies to stem the spread of technologies that put us at risk like the 5G technologies sold by China’s Huawei, as well as to forge and prioritize new alliances.

These developments are covered piecemeal when they are properly understood as parts of something bigger—a plan, a vision for the next era in U.S. global leadership. But we should not be surprised by these developments or their scope. Biden framed them on the campaign trail in speeches and in articles like “Why America Must Lead Again,” and as president beginning with his first speech to a joint session of Congress, much of which was about refocusing on the challenges posed by an emerging China.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken covered those points as well as a shift toward a U.S. foreign policy that eschewed the high-handedness of American exceptionalism and made the U.S. a better ally in the major address he gave this March. The shifts in the Asia-Pacific and with regard to addressing China were anticipated in a 2019 article written by Jake Sullivan, now national security adviser to Biden, and Kurt Campbell, now the Asia czar at the NSC, entitled “Competition without Catastrophe.” Even the connections between foreign policy and domestic priorities were outlined in a study produced by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace entitled “Making U.S. Foreign Policy Work Better for the Middle Class”—the product of a study group in which Sullivan was a participant.

Why is the message not getting through? There are several reasons. One is that the media continues to prioritize conflict and catastrophe, making its money off of clicks and ratings. As a result, the food fight in Washington takes precedence in cases like the current budget battle rather than the strategy underlying the Biden plan or its longer-term consequences. Similarly two weeks of chaos in Afghanistan was apparently a bigger story than the impact of the end of 20 years of futile, ill-considered war.

Part of the responsibility lies, however, with the administration. Some of this is for very good reasons—they are focusing on getting the work done and they have been very busy and hugely understaffed due to GOP obstructionism blocking the confirmations of the majority of all Biden senior national security appointments. Some of this however, has to do with what one former senior communications official in a Democratic administration described as a problem of “too many press secretaries and not enough communications strategists.” In other words, as good as the administration’s mouthpieces like Jen Psaki at the White House and Ned Price at the State Department have been, they are most focused on fighting daily fires and not on getting the bigger strategic messages through. (Again, the press plays a big role in this.)
Read the whole thing...

old salt

Post by old salt »

Biden's poll numbers = buyers remorse.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/a ... president/

Per a Quinnipiac poll released today, Biden’s national approval rating is 38 percent. Among independents, it’s 32 percent, with 60 percent disapproving of the job he’s doing. Biden is nine points underwater among Hispanics, he’s six points underwater among women, and he’s polling at only 66 percent among African Americans.

Earlier this year, Biden argued that Americans should ignore Washington, D.C., and look to the country in general when determining whether he was the “uniter” he promised to be:

The White House wants to change how people perceive bipartisanship, arguing that if they put forward proposals that are backed by Republicans and independents, they should be seen as bipartisan even if GOP lawmakers in Washington don’t vote for them.

I think we can dispense with that idea. Biden’s approve-disapprove rating is 4–94 among Republicans, it’s 32–60 among independents, and it’s 80–10 among Democrats. If Americans in 2021 are “united” around anything, it’s that they disfavor Joe Biden.

By a margin of 56–41, Americans say that Biden lacks leadership skills. By a margin of 54–42, Americans say that Biden is incompetent. By a margin of 50–44, Americans say that Biden is dishonest. Worse yet, there’s no issue on which Biden is doing well. His approve–disapprove on COVID-19 is 48–50; on the economy, it’s 39–55; on his leadership of the military, it’s 37–58 . On taxes, 37 percent of Americans approve, while 54 percent disapprove; on foreign policy, it’s 34–58 percent; and on immigration, it’s a startling 25–67 percent. That last number is particularly interesting because, if you look at the cross-tabs, you see that Biden is underwater on immigration amongst Hispanics by 46 points, 23–69.

And no, it’s not “just one poll.” In the RealClearPolitics average, Biden is at 44.6 percent approval — the lowest of his presidency thus far. Since the debacle in Afghanistan, Americans have been gradually losing faith in the president in every way that it is possible to lose faith in the president. As Biden gears up to pivot to his absurd, destructive, and thoroughly uncalled-for spending bill, he might do well to stop for a moment and realize that it’s not “them,” after all.

It’s him.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:44 pm Biden's poll numbers = buyers remorse.

Per a Quinnipiac poll released today, Biden’s national approval rating is 38 percent. Among independents, it’s 32 percent, with 60 percent disapproving of the job he’s doing. Biden is nine points underwater among Hispanics, he’s six points underwater among women, and he’s polling at only 66 percent among African Americans.

What do you all expect when the media gives Biden unprecedented criticism 24/7, OS?
a fan

Post by a fan »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:06 pm The Examiner article is a huge TROPE that the GOP would love to have you believe. "Mitch and Kevin continue relentless partisan opposition/obstruction, but hey, Joe SAID he'd bring bipartisanship...so...FAILURE!!" It's a load of buffalo bagels...fake news that we've seen before. Yawn.

Meanwhile in the real world, The Massive Biden Reset You Probably Don’t Even Know Is Happening
I don't expect you to remember this, but I told you that this would happen before he took office. Biden's people, warts and all, at least believe in governing. The Exec office and its Department will begin to function normally under Biden. And if they pass the Infrastructure Bill that made it through the Senate? Dept. of Interior et. al. will have real budgets for the first time since Reagan arrived.

We'll see.

Biden needs to pull Manchin in, and do a LBJ on him, Diss. Lead.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:46 pm

What do you all expect when the media gives Biden unprecedented criticism 24/7, OS?
That did not start until the Afghan withdrawal debacle.
He got a pass from the media on the border until the encampment under the Del Rio bridge could no longer be ignored.
He campaigned as a moderate but has not governed that way. That finally became obvious to the media.
Before the above, his poll ratings were pretty good.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

a fan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:49 pmI don't expect you to remember this, but I told you that this would happen before he took office. Biden's people, warts and all, at least believe in governing. The Exec office and its Department will begin to function normally under Biden. And if they pass the Infrastructure Bill that made it through the Senate? Dept. of Interior et. al. will have real budgets for the first time since Reagan arrived.

We'll see.

Biden needs to pull Manchin in, and do a LBJ on him, Diss. Lead.
Oh, i remember it alright...and i - like you - have issues with the establishment D wing of the party where J'Biden has been much of his life. The fact that this legislation: the infrastructure bill and the reconciliation package are where they are is a testament to how much influence the more progressive side of the party is having on Joe is not for nothing...it's a significant nudge to the left from a governing perspective. I think it WILL get done in some pared down version - maybe a five year window instead of ten and that, if it happens, will be significant. Compare this to the "policy" the GOP has had for the past decade...honestly, there really is NO governing policy there beyond the imbecilic 'stick it to the libs' variety.

So in this sense the "leading" is, in fact, happening. Again, that's pretty good in a 50-50 Senate. The Washington Examiner wants to denigrate Joe for not "leading" because he can't get Mitch 'the SCOTUS Thief' McConnell to go along with legislation that will benefit a huge number of Mitch's own constituents? That's just laughable.

Curious what you thought of the rest of the post...the part about a significant turn in the posture of the US...that is continuing under this administration...

Thoughts?

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Earlier this year, Biden argued that Americans should ignore Washington, D.C., and look to the country in general when determining whether he was the “uniter” he promised to be:

The White House wants to change how people perceive bipartisanship, arguing that if they put forward proposals that are backed by Republicans and independents, they should be seen as bipartisan even if GOP lawmakers in Washington don’t vote for them.

I think we can dispense with that idea. Biden’s approve-disapprove rating is 4–94 among Republicans, it’s 32–60 among independents, and it’s 80–10 among Democrats. If Americans in 2021 are “united” around anything, it’s that they disfavor Joe Biden.

By a margin of 56–41, Americans say that Biden lacks leadership skills. By a margin of 54–42, Americans say that Biden is incompetent. By a margin of 50–44, Americans say that Biden is dishonest. Worse yet, there’s no issue on which Biden is doing well. His approve–disapprove on COVID-19 is 48–50; on the economy, it’s 39–55; on his leadership of the military, it’s 37–58 . On taxes, 37 percent of Americans approve, while 54 percent disapprove; on foreign policy, it’s 34–58 percent; and on immigration, it’s a startling 25–67 percent. That last number is particularly interesting because, if you look at the cross-tabs, you see that Biden is underwater on immigration amongst Hispanics by 46 points, 23–69.

And no, it’s not “just one poll.” In the RealClearPolitics average, Biden is at 44.6 percent approval — the lowest of his presidency thus far. Since the debacle in Afghanistan, Americans have been gradually losing faith in the president in every way that it is possible to lose faith in the president. As Biden gears up to pivot to his absurd, destructive, and thoroughly uncalled-for spending bill, he might do well to stop for a moment and realize that it’s not “them,” after all.

It’s him.
Petty and small minded
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “POLITICS”