Transfer Portal

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:11 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:22 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:48 pm
laxstan8 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 pm Senior attacker Erin Bakes from USC is transferring to Georgetown in Spring 2022.
Interesting! I wondered where she was going after I saw that she wasn’t on USC’s 2022 roster. Any idea why she is transferring in the spring?
In her own announcement she said she’s graduating a semester early from USC and pursuing a Masters in Public Relations. USC offers that as well, but maybe she just wanted a change? Maybe she wants a career in politics? Her brother lives and works in DC as well.
i remember she was a very highly rated recruit coming out of HS, maybe top 5. I believe she will have 2 years avail at Georgetown because of covid year.
Yeah, I think you're right about the 2 years. Not sure how scholarship money has been working out for grad transfers, but if she got scholarship money she could be getting her master's partially paid for. Smart move.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Thanks for that info moonwater21.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

moonwater21 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 pm
laxstan8 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 pm Senior attacker Erin Bakes from USC is transferring to Georgetown in Spring 2022.
Interesting! I wondered where she was going after I saw that she wasn’t on USC’s 2022 roster. Any idea why she is transferring in the spring?
In her own announcement she said she’s graduating a semester early from USC and pursuing a Masters in Public Relations. USC offers that as well, but maybe she just wanted a change? Maybe she wants a career in politics? Her brother lives and works in DC as well.
i remember she was a very highly rated recruit coming out of HS, maybe top 5. I believe she will have 2 years avail at Georgetown because of covid year.

Top 5 of what? I would find it hard to believe that a Top 5 recruit goes to USC and is pretty much a reserve player much of her career. Show me the rankings from when she was in HS.
This is true, Larry. Erin was ranked #2 in her class (2018), just behind UNC's Elizabeth Hillman. Just goes to show you that individual rankings aren't everything coming out of high school. I lost a little faith in said rankings when I found out Emma Ward was ranked what... #41 in her class? Turned out to be one of the top 2-3 freshman last year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... sition=all
She was also the MVP of the UAAA game as a senior scoring the winning goal in OT
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

moonwater21 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:40 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 pm

Top 5 of what? I would find it hard to believe that a Top 5 recruit goes to USC and is pretty much a reserve player much of her career. Show me the rankings from when she was in HS.
This is true, Larry. Erin was ranked #2 in her class (2018), just behind UNC's Elizabeth Hillman. Just goes to show you that individual rankings aren't everything coming out of high school. I lost a little faith in said rankings when I found out Emma Ward was ranked what... #41 in her class? Turned out to be one of the top 2-3 freshman last year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... sition=all
Why are you acting like rankings are an exact science? you should know better. You're acting like these rankings are guaranteeing success. they don't. and nowhere on Inside Lacrosse does it claim that. Anyone with half a brain should know that. we all know that. and this is across all sports, not just lacrosse. I can also point out plenty of players who were highly ranked in those same lists that became total superstars. These rankings are based on their performances while in highschool and at clubs. I might become a doctor later in life, doesn't mean i should've been ranked higher in my graduating class over someone who had a 4.9 GPA and i had a 3.0. So these types of arguments really seem shortsighted. You point out that the rankings aren't always accurate, than proceed to being shocked and bashing inside lacrosse for having a ranking that wasn't exactly..accurate. It happens.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?

I'm sure the academics were a large part of that decision. :roll:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:38 am Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?
Will we really know before we see where she ends up? Maybe where she wants to go needs help at that position?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:05 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:38 am Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?
Will we really know before we see where she ends up? Maybe where she wants to go needs help at that position?
Maybe her boyfriend or girlfriend or sister or brother goes there, or the degree program is better there, or her dad or mom is an alum and has been urging her to go there, or the food in the cafeteria is awesome there, or the weather is better there, or she can more easily visit her grandmother whose namesake she is from there, or there is a killer craft beer joint that offered her an internship after college near the school.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am
Maybe her boyfriend or girlfriend or sister or brother goes there, or the degree program is better there, or her dad or mom is an alum and has been urging her to go there, or the food in the cafeteria is awesome there, or the weather is better there, or she can more easily visit her grandmother whose namesake she is from there, or there is a killer craft beer joint that offered her an internship after college near the school.

HAHAHA...very good. I know the person and none of the above is a factor. Good variety of reasons though. :lol:
And if she wasn't the best in her previous conference, how in the hell will she suddenly blossom at the new program?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:56 am

HAHAHA...very good. I know the person and none of the above is a factor. Good variety of reasons though. :lol:
And if she wasn't the best in her previous conference, how in the hell will she suddenly blossom at the new program?
Is she transferring planning on playing at new school this spring? Find these transfers that are announced after fall semester has started strange unless they feel like they're not going to play at their current school.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:56 am

Is she transferring planning on playing at new school this spring? Find these transfers that are announced after fall semester has started strange unless they feel like they're not going to play at their current school.

They have other players at that position and maybe she thinks she is better than them. Remains to be seen.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm Is she transferring planning on playing at new school this spring? Find these transfers that are announced after fall semester has started strange unless they feel like they're not going to play at their current school.
Do players make known where they want to play when they enter the portal? This particular instance begs the question.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Larry,

Looking for a true discussion here, maybe you can help me understand your comments. I love this forum and I have watched and read hundreds of threads and think it's a wonderful site to further the sport of women's lacrosse. My problem is when I see people post things about 18-22 year women and act like they are the preeminent authority on a topic.

"Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?

- This player you are referring to is a goalie who was at an AAC school and is transferring to an ACC school. Why are you inferring that because she plays in the same conference as Florida and their goalie that she's not qualified to transfer to a power 5 conference? You know a lot about lax so why would you not seem to understand there's a HUGE difference between playing goalie at a 4th year program and playing at Florida - you do understand the difference in talent on defense in front of the goalie right? Did you do any homework to see how many shots a goalie at a 4th year program faces versus a top team with a top defense in front of them? Did you bother watching any film to see where the majority of shots come from when they play a school like Duke or Florida? They're typically 3-5 meters out and wide open shots. Teams that have that much of a talent edge, work the ball until they get a wide open shot.

"SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?"

- Are you suggesting these coaches didn't do their due diligence in recruiting her? She was recruited by several top 10 and top 20 teams who needed goalies. What about them? Are they not doing their due diligence? I'm sure they do and that's why they have their jobs.

"HAHAHA...very good. I know the person and none of the above is a factor. Good variety of reasons though. :lol:
And if she wasn't the best in her previous conference, how in the hell will she suddenly blossom at the new program?"

- I have to say this one really rubs me the wrong way as it should everyone on this forum. First of all, I wouldn't say you "know' her because you gave her 3 lessons 5 years ago. That's a complete stretch. Maybe the fact that we moved on to another trainer after that 3rd lesson is the reason for your snide comments? As far as "how in the hell will suddenly blossom at the new program", that remains to be seen. But why in the world do you need to come on to a forum and suggest she won't? You want to give an opinion, fine, but knocking a 20 year old young woman when you DON'T even know her??? Come on Larry, I thought you were better than that!

"They have other players at that position and maybe she thinks she is better than them. Remains to be seen."

Really??? Teams have more than one goalie??? "Remains to be Seen”, is the most accurate thing you said in this thread. She is planning on going there, competing for a starting spot and helping the team the best she can? At the end of the day she will have a degree from top 20 academic institution and form many friendships that will last her a lifetime.

To everyone else, this young lady is a premed student and of all the schools who recruited her, this school best satisfied her educational needs and they happen to be a very talented group of girls as well. THAT's why she picked this school. She was foremost thinking about her future, not solely lacrosse. She happens to be a great kid who has her priorities in place when it comes to her future. How bad can a degree from a top 20 ranked institution be?

"I'm sure the academics were a large part of that decision. :roll:"

YES LARRY - it was the biggest factor in her choosing this school! (btw, your eye roll emoji is childish)

Everyone else, thanks for your contributions to the forum, we read it all the time and find most of it very informative and fun. But please keep in mind there are probably many players who read it as well and there's no need for them to picked apart by adults. Let's keep this forum up to the standards it deserves.
Last edited by Justalaxdad on Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:37 pm
hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:12 pm Is she transferring planning on playing at new school this spring? Find these transfers that are announced after fall semester has started strange unless they feel like they're not going to play at their current school.
Do players make known where they want to play when they enter the portal? This particular instance begs the question.
When they decide to transfer, they notify their current coach and enter the portal shortly after. Typically the assistant coaches scan the portal daily looking for new entries. The student athlete absolutely can reach out to schools they are interested in once they are officially cleared and in the portal. If the player is a top talent, they will get many calls right away. As I said above, it still has to be the right fit academically and athletically.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Justalaxdad wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:17 pm Larry,

Looking for a true discussion here, maybe you can help me understand your comments. I love this forum and I have watched and read hundreds of threads and think it's a wonderful site to further the sport of women's lacrosse. My problem is when I see people post things about 18-22 year women and act like they are the preeminent authority on a topic.

"Just learned of a player who is leaving a school in a mid-level conference to attend a school in a Power 5 Conference. The problem is that she was not one of the best in her position at that mid-level conference. SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?

- This player you are referring to is a goalie who was at an AAC school and is transferring to an ACC school. Why are you inferring that because she plays in the same conference as Florida and their goalie that she's not qualified to transfer to a power 5 conference? You know a lot about lax so why would you not seem to understand there's a HUGE difference between playing goalie at a 4th year program and playing at Florida - you do understand the difference in talent on defense in front of the goalie right? Did you do any homework to see how many shots a goalie at a 4th year program faces versus a top team with a top defense in front of them? Did you bother watching any film to see where the majority of shots come from when they play a school like Duke or Florida? They're typically 3-5 meters out and wide open shots. Teams that have that much of a talent edge, work the ball until they get a wide open shot.

"SO, what does that say about this move and the seemingly lack of fact gathering and reality checking that went on here?"

- Are you suggesting these coaches didn't do their due diligence in recruiting her? She was recruited by several top 10 and top 20 teams who needed goalies. What about them? Are they not doing their due diligence? I'm sure they do and that's why they have their jobs.

"HAHAHA...very good. I know the person and none of the above is a factor. Good variety of reasons though. :lol:
And if she wasn't the best in her previous conference, how in the hell will she suddenly blossom at the new program?"

- I have to say this one really rubs me the wrong way as it should everyone on this forum. First of all, I wouldn't say you "know' her because you gave her 3 lessons 5 years ago. That's a complete stretch. Maybe the fact that we moved on to another trainer after that 3rd lesson is the reason for your snide comments? As far as "how in the hell will suddenly blossom at the new program", that remains to be seen. But why in the world do you need to come on to a forum and suggest she won't? You want to give an opinion, fine, but knocking a 20 year old young woman when you DON'T even know her??? Come on Larry, I thought you were better than that!

"They have other players at that position and maybe she thinks she is better than them. Remains to be seen."

Really??? Teams have more than one goalie??? "Remains to be Seen”, is the most accurate thing you said in this thread. She is planning on going there, competing for a starting spot and helping the team the best she can? At the end of the day she will have a degree from top 20 academic institution and form many friendships that will last her a lifetime.

To everyone else, this young lady is a premed student and of all the schools who recruited her, this school best satisfied her educational needs and they happen to be a very talented group of girls as well. THAT's why she picked this school. She was foremost thinking about her future, not solely lacrosse. She happens to be a great kid who has her priorities in place when it comes to her future. How bad can a degree from a top 20 ranked institution be?

YES LARRY - it was the biggest factor in her choosing this school! (btw, your eye roll emoji is childish)

Everyone else, thanks for your contributions to the forum, we read it all the time and find most of it very informative and fun. But please keep in mind there are probably many players who read it as well and there's no need for them to picked apart by adults. Let's keep this forum up to the standards it deserves.
I will say I was pretty surprised at Larry's post as he usually is the one supporting D2/D3 schools and being a champion for girls that play at those levels as well as smaller conference D1 schools. Was trying to find some sarcasm in his post but I did not as it seemed a bit off-brand for him. Maybe if there was a previous professional relationship with the player(can't tell if it's your daughter as you referred to her as "the player" but then go on to way "we moved to another trainer") is contributing to the tone of his post?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

hmmm wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:11 pm

I will say I was pretty surprised at Larry's post as he usually is the one supporting D2/D3 schools and being a champion for girls that play at those levels as well as smaller conference D1 schools. Was trying to find some sarcasm in his post but I did not as it seemed a bit off-brand for him. Maybe if there was a previous professional relationship with the player(can't tell if it's your daughter as you referred to her as "the player" but then go on to way "we moved to another trainer") is contributing to the tone of his post?
Yes it is my daughter and I have to say I appreciate your response. I’m not trying to make waves but the undertones to his comments were uncalled for - especially when he doesn’t really know her and had no inside information on who was recruiting her and how the recruiting process played out. We do read the forum a lot as there is an immense amount of great information.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Justalaxdad wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:28 pm

Yes it is my daughter and I have to say I appreciate your response. I’m not trying to make waves but the undertones to his comments were uncalled for - especially when he doesn’t really know her and had no inside information on who was recruiting her and how the recruiting process played out. We do read the forum a lot as there is an immense amount of great information.
Congrats to your daughter! I hopes she’s happy in her new home. I didn’t think you could transfer this late. Has she been in the portal? I give total props to kids who make this choice. It’s not easy at all. There are so many who stay even though they’re miserable
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Fischer wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Congrats to your daughter! I hopes she’s happy in her new home. I didn’t think you could transfer this late. Has she been in the portal? I give total props to kids who make this choice. It’s not easy at all. There are so many who stay even though they’re miserable

I appreciate that Fischer! She has to sit out the Fall semester and will begin at the new school in January at which time she’ll be eligible to play. It’s actually crazy the amount of compliance checking that goes into the process.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Welcome to the Forum....I too have a D playing...I look forward to hearing how yours does. Hopefully she is happy with her choice. I know (personally) that Bio/Pre Med takes alot of time and to play at any level while doing that path is quite an accomplishment.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

That’s awesome Dr. Tact, best of luck to your daughter! Would love to share stories as the season unfolds. Celebrating these great student athletes is what we should be doing!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

I'm going to respond to justalaxdad via PM. If he chooses to share any of that with the rest of the Forum, then that will be his decision.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”