Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by faircornell »

While I believe that we may be straying into politics, and away from athletics, I'd make the following observations:

1. Most students admitted to Ivy schools are expected to show "leadership" of some sort in their activities. Such leadership tends to involve independent thinking and strong mindedness (if not some stubbornness). While the world may have changed, I'm not sure that the "brainwashing" argument is particularly valid (can you tell your 18-23 year old what to think?).

2. My further belief is that the real value of Ivy schools is the peer group interaction. While some professors might capture the imaginations of students, the views of students' peers, and interactions with them will be the best education that an Ivy student will receive.

3. Finally, being exposed to a diversity of ideas is important for young adults who will enter the workforce. If today's youth are anything like the students with whom I attended Ivy institutions with, they will take any forms of "indoctrination" with a grain of salt, or with a firm analytical dissection of what they are being asked to believe.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm While I believe that we may be straying into politics, and away from athletics, I'd make the following observations:

1. Most students admitted to Ivy schools are expected to show "leadership" of some sort in their activities. Such leadership tends to involve independent thinking and strong mindedness (if not some stubbornness). While the world may have changed, I'm not sure that the "brainwashing" argument is particularly valid (can you tell your 18-23 year old what to think?).

2. My further belief is that the real value of Ivy schools is the peer group interaction. While some professors might capture the imaginations of students, the views of students' peers, and interactions with them will be the best education that an Ivy student will receive.

3. Finally, being exposed to a diversity of ideas is important for young adults who will enter the workforce. If today's youth are anything like the students with whom I attended Ivy institutions with, they will take any forms of "indoctrination" with a grain of salt, or with a firm analytical dissection of what they are being asked to believe.
I can safely say that was not only true when my wife and I went to an Ivy, it was true as well of my son and his peers at an Ivy, 2016 grads.

Obviously there will always be exceptions, but overwhelmingly accurate.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:52 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm While I believe that we may be straying into politics, and away from athletics, I'd make the following observations:

I can safely say that was not only true when my wife and I went to an Ivy, it was true as well of my son and his peers at an Ivy, 2016 grads.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Id bounce the self selective nature of the tenure track process but that’s a higher Ed wide issue for me. Do think it’s become problematic in the last 20 or so years for those that teach moreso than those who do research as there’s so few outlets for PhDs who aren’t researchers to justify the cost and time at this stage in our country. Let the researchers unknown each other over ideas with little programmatic value.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lorin

Post by lorin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:01 am

Id bounce the self selective nature of the tenure track process but that’s a higher Ed wide issue for me. Do think it’s become problematic in the last 20 or so years for those that teach moreso than those who do research as there’s so few outlets for PhDs who aren’t researchers to justify the cost and time at this stage in our country. Let the researchers unknown each other over ideas with little programmatic value.
What the heck

I come on this site hopefully to distress from the every day BS, can we please get back to talking lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lorin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:13 am

What the heck

I come on this site hopefully to distress from the every day BS, can we please get back to talking lacrosse
Why me on a string of three? I dropped in a recruit no one was talking about two weeks ago and theres one week a year I hate Cornell more than anything else in life.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

What the heck

:) de-stress, not distress though. ;)
Agreed, howdyyall threw quite a bomb into the works and we knee jerked responded, yet again.
Typical off season stuff.
(I chuckled at InsiderRoll's meme though!)

Not a lot of Ivy lax to talk about, though some scrimmages coming up.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:54 am

What the heck

Agreed, howdyyall threw quite a bomb into the works and we knee jerked responded, yet again.

Class of 2023 recruiting has been particularly strong. Wondering if ACC teams are holding a couple of slots for transfers?
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:00 am

What the heck

Class of 2023 recruiting has been particularly strong. Wondering if ACC teams are holding a couple of slots for transfers?
If Murphy can figure it out, and he seems close, he recruits like a killer. Would be cool to see Penn in a finals. Always hoped MVA could get them deep but wasn’t meant to be and he stands today as a shining example of some guys aren’t necessarily the best HCs but can be game changing ACs

ACC - It’s an IL ranking category so I wonder if for perception sake they have to manage to that consideration. (Half serious, many coaches recognize and accept managing to media perception as part of the job)

Hop folks seem disturbed they aren’t reeling the superstars in and then consoling with the “nah we want the diamonds in the rough”. Never thought they’d be the blue collar guys.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:02 am Hop folks seem disturbed they aren’t reeling the superstars in and then consoling with the “nah we want the diamonds in the rough”. Never thought they’d be the blue collar guys.
Why are you obsessed with us? Every time I look at a new thread, there you are, without fail, finding some way to talk about Hopkins. As sure as the sun will rise.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:07 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:02 am Hop folks seem disturbed they aren’t reeling the superstars in and then consoling with the “nah we want the diamonds in the rough”. Never thought they’d be the blue collar guys.
Why are you obsessed with us? Every time I look at a new thread, there you are, without fail, finding some way to talk about Hopkins. As sure as the sun will rise.
A compliment? ;)

ACC recruiting was raised...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:09 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:07 am
A compliment? ;)

ACC recruiting was raised...
I don’t know why people get so bitchy. Not enough coffee in the am? Dogs needs walking? :).

Yes I benchmark Hop w ACC and Big Ten so that’s a big part of including it. Also bring the only other D3 school playing D1 lacrosse and yes having long successful histories with very different infrastructure and resources but in two hearts of lacrosse tradition. And I even enjoyed our football playoff game in 2014 as well. Lot of schadenfruede and personal issues bleed out in some of this it seems.

And there’s a ton of posts without “they who their fans wish won’t be named” but yet want a free pass for whining at someone else in absolute terms.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:02 am

What the heck

If Murphy can figure it out, and he seems close, he recruits like a killer. Would be cool to see Penn in a finals. Always hoped MVA could get them deep but wasn’t meant to be and he stands today as a shining example of some guys aren’t necessarily the best HCs but can be game changing ACs

ACC - It’s an IL ranking category so I wonder if for perception sake they have to manage to that consideration. (Half serious, many coaches recognize and accept managing to media perception as part of the job)

Hop folks seem disturbed they aren’t reeling the superstars in and then consoling with the “nah we want the diamonds in the rough”. Never thought they’d be the blue collar guys.
I have very little faith in IL rankings. I know a few of the kids that have committed. Don’t care where they are ranked. Hopkins will be fine. The end of 8th and 9th grade recruiting will help. Hopkins has turned the corner. I saw it two seasons ago. It’s not going to take long.
“I wish you would!”
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

If Kirson can get hot for Hopkins they will be in a very good place...He had a tough go of it last year
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:17 am

What the heck

I have very little faith in IL rankings. I know a few of the kids that have committed. Don’t care where they are ranked. Hopkins will be fine. The end of 8th and 9th grade recruiting will help. Hopkins has turned the corner. I saw it two seasons ago. It’s not going to take long.
It’s interesting because I wasn’t sold on Milligan’s ability as HC, particularly on the defensive end, at Cornell. So that hire will either be brilliant or raise serious doubts over time. And what does it say about Petros later years? Should we hold HCs accountable for that stretch in general as it’s impossible to game out kids so young with respect to development. Or conversely reward the coaches like Shay who were prepared to flip guys closer in? (acknowledging that the Ivies are hamstrung like the academies and, though apparently we suck and everyone hates Hobart, us as well without scholarships to commit).
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:27 am

What the heck

It’s interesting because I wasn’t sold on Milligan’s ability as HC, particularly on the defensive end, at Cornell. So that hire will either be brilliant or raise serious doubts over time. And what does it say about Petros later years? Should we hold HCs accountable for that stretch in general as it’s impossible to game out kids so young with respect to development. Or conversely reward the coaches like Shay who were prepared to flip guys closer in? (acknowledging that the Ivies are hamstrung like the academies and, though apparently we suck and everyone hates Hobart, us as well without scholarships to commit).
Coach Milliman hired Coach Koesterer for the D, maybe the smartest move he has made as Hopkins head coach.

Koesterer’s most impressive accomplishment in 2021 was improving the Hopkins off-ball defense. Improving on-ball defense is a relatively simple thing compared to off-ball D. Need complete teamwork and buy-in to play good off-ball defense, and the Blue Jays were playing good off-ball defense by the B1G tournament.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:27 am

What the heck

Petro is a good coach. Milliman will do a good job.
“I wish you would!”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Why are you obsessed with us?
From a fan of the school that can generate 759 pages on their uniform's numeric font. ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am
From a fan of the school that can generate 759 pages on their uniform's numeric font. ;)
Yes and we keep all that nonsense in the Hopkins thread
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:45 am
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:01 am
Yes and we keep all that nonsense in the Hopkins thread
👍🏻

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”