All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

youthathletics

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:55 pm Parents are too negative

Obviously she was old.
Obviously there aren’t approved vaccines for 10 year olds or did I miss the memo?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Obviously she was old.
Obviously there aren’t approved vaccines for 10 year olds or did I miss the memo?
That's your takeaway?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Obviously she was old.
Did you?
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:07 pm

Obviously she was old.
Did you?
Important to make sure one is doing everything they can to stay in the best shape possible. Any death of a child that young is unfortunate. Just by looking at the picture the article has, she is quite overweight and one knows that does one no favors with a respiratory virus like this. What should the take away be from this besides highly unfortunate? I can sit here all day long and scour the web for anecdotal stories that support my frame of mind. Does this mean it's commonplace? FAR from it. Remember not to get sucked into the anecdotal vortex. You seem to scour the web deeply to find these stories to support your views, ideology, etc.

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:58 pm

Obviously she was old.
Did you?
Important to make sure one is doing everything they can to stay in the best shape possible. Any death of a child that young is unfortunate. Just by looking at the picture the article has, she is quite overweight and one knows that does one no favors with a respiratory virus like this. What should the take away be from this besides highly unfortunate? I can sit here all day long and scour the web for anecdotal stories that support my frame of mind. Does this mean it's commonplace? FAR from it. Remember not to get sucked into the anecdotal vortex. You seem to scour the web deeply to find these stories to support your views, ideology, etc.

Joe
Yep. She was too fat. It killed her.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

If kids don’t get off the couch and exercise, a good old fashioned pandemic will take care of it.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm Restaurants bars, etc pre vaccine I would put at 75% capacity. With strong encouragement that masks should be worn in very crowded indoor places. Take things outside if you can. Stay home if you are sick. Do not horde supplies from the grocery store. Who is saying anything about doing nothing? You do realize that there were many governors who kept NPI's that effectively had no effect on the spread of the disease until almost July 2021? The vaccine is what is helping us climb out of this pandemic, helped a very little bit by NPI''s. I would have said mask's in schools until Jan 2021, when the vaccine became available, then use common sense. Stay home if kid is sick, if spread is rampant throughout school, go remote for 10-14 days, see where you are at, then back to in-person learning. Children's futures are much too important for them to be sitting home doing remote learning. Most kid's do not like lit, do not benefit from it, in fact it stagnant' s there academic growth.

Joe
Ok. So the Joe plan for 2020 Covid consists ONLY of;

-75% capacity for restaurants and bars. So open for all of 2020
-Schools fully open, kids wear masks

That's it. So that means no mask mandates anywhere but schools. Concerts open, stadiums open, mass transit no restrictions and no masks. Borders open. Retirement homes, no restrictions.

So we're at 700k deaths here in Oct 2021. How many more do you think would have died using your plan?

You understand that more would have died using your plan, right? And that's cool with you, correct?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:38 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 pm Restaurants bars, etc pre vaccine I would put at 75% capacity. With strong encouragement that masks should be worn in very crowded indoor places. Take things outside if you can. Stay home if you are sick. Do not horde supplies from the grocery store. Who is saying anything about doing nothing? You do realize that there were many governors who kept NPI's that effectively had no effect on the spread of the disease until almost July 2021? The vaccine is what is helping us climb out of this pandemic, helped a very little bit by NPI''s. I would have said mask's in schools until Jan 2021, when the vaccine became available, then use common sense. Stay home if kid is sick, if spread is rampant throughout school, go remote for 10-14 days, see where you are at, then back to in-person learning. Children's futures are much too important for them to be sitting home doing remote learning. Most kid's do not like lit, do not benefit from it, in fact it stagnant' s there academic growth.

Joe

That's it. So that means no mask mandates anywhere but schools. Concerts open, stadiums open, mass transit no restrictions and no masks. Borders open. Retirement homes, no restrictions.

So we're at 700k deaths here in Oct 2021. How many more do you think would have died using your plan?

You understand that more would have died using your plan, right? And that's cool with you, correct?
Joe Kervokian Method
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:37 pm

Joe

Joe Kervokian Method
Of course assume you mean Dr. JACK Kervorkian
:oops:
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Joe

Joe Kervokian Method
One of the RARE TV movies Al Pacino did, he was phenomenal in it! :lol: :lol:

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Joe

Joe Kervokian Method
One of the RARE TV movies Al Pacino did, he was phenomenal in it! :lol: :lol:

Joe
I bet he did. Good casting.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Obviously she was old.
That's your takeaway?
From TLD's comment....damn right.

What is your?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Joe

Ok, so obviously you're going to dodge the question, and that's cool.

But at least now you get it. You understand WHY a Governor would put pieces in to place to protect their citizens, and to keep hospitals from overflowing at peak Covid 2020.

Maybe keep this lesson you learned in mind when you're complaining about Covid restrictions. The Governors, regardless of State and regardless of party, can't make "the right" move. Restrict too much, mental health and the economy suffers. Restrict too little, and more people die.

Not an easy choice, is it?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

a fan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:00 pm

Joe

Ok, so obviously you're going to dodge the question, and that's cool.

But at least now you get it. You understand WHY a Governor would put pieces in to place to protect their citizens, and to keep hospitals from overflowing at peak Covid 2020.

Maybe keep this lesson you learned in mind when you're complaining about Covid restrictions. The Governors, regardless of State and regardless of party, can't make "the right" move. Restrict too much, mental health and the economy suffers. Restrict too little, and more people die.

Not an easy choice, is it?
Not black and white, exactly.

Joe
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:01 pm Not black and white, exactly.

Joe
Cool. Obviously we're on the same page. Thanks for the discussion!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Obviously she was old.
Did you?

Joe
First, I quite agree that obesity is a major co-morbidity factor. The stats are pretty clear, though it's just one factor. But a big one. Putting aside that the kid is overweight (probably not obese...yet), mom and dad are definitely obese.

Indeed 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, with this increasing as a % with age groups.

But let's be clear, over 19% of children under 18 are indeed actually obese, another, larger, % is overweight. It just gets worse with age as metabolisms naturally slow, sugar additions worsen, etc.

And over 50% of our overall healthcare costs in America are driven by our poor nutritional behaviors, diabetes, heart disease, metabolic disorder, joint pain, some cancers, etc.

This is a very disturbing reality in America today...but that's what it is, a reality, and we're not talking about small numbers of people, including among kids.

And that's not going to change overnight, much as I or we wish otherwise.

I know that you're not dismissing that this child died, an otherwise seemingly healthy, though overweight child, from contracting COVID. Nor do I think that you are dismissing that more will surely die with continuing spread of Covid, especially Delta (and possibly future variants) affecting more kids than Alpha did.

But unless you're clear about that, you could be misunderstood. It's more than merely an anecdote, it's putting faces and personal stories to the actual #'s, which are not insignificant.

And what are these parents asking? Simply that we all do our best to help to reduce spread...eg get vaccinated, wear a mask when inside etc. Don't rail against these efforts and dissuade others from doing the same.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm

Obviously she was old.
Did you?

Joe
First, I quite agree that obesity is a major co-morbidity factor. The stats are pretty clear, though it's just one factor. But a big one. Putting aside that the kid is overweight (probably not obese...yet), mom and dad are definitely obese.

Indeed 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, with this increasing as a % with age groups.

But let's be clear, over 19% of children under 18 are indeed actually obese, another, larger, % is overweight. It just gets worse with age as metabolisms naturally slow, sugar additions worsen, etc.

And over 50% of our overall healthcare costs in America are driven by our poor nutritional behaviors, diabetes, heart disease, metabolic disorder, joint pain, some cancers, etc.

This is a very disturbing reality in America today...but that's what it is, a reality, and we're not talking about small numbers of people, including among kids.

I know that you're not dismissing that this child died, an otherwise seemingly healthy, though overweight child, from contracting COVID. Nor do I think that you are dismissing that more will surely die with continuing spread of Covid, especially Delta (and possibly future variants) affecting more kids than Alpha did.

But unless you're clear about that, you could be misunderstood. It's more than merely an anecdote, it's putting faces and personal stories to the actual #'s, which are not insignificant.

And what are these parents asking? Simply that we all do our best to help to reduce spread...eg get vaccinated, wear a mask when inside etc. Don't rail against these efforts and dissuade others from doing the same.
Not at all what I am doing. Kid's 5-11 will be vaccinated in the very short-term future. That;'s all you are asking for... Whether school was in person or virtual, this still (likely) would have happened. It's a shame. Not downplaying anything. :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:59 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:00 pm

Obviously she was old.
That's your takeaway?
From TLD's comment....damn right.

What is your?
Mine was that TLD was responding to those who claim that young kids can't be killed by COVID (or hurt long term); he knows full well that there isn't an approved vaccine for that age group (yet). So, masks help in the meantime, making sure those around the kids, interacting with the kids, have been vaccinated (if eligible) and wear masks when indoors.

That was my impression. And my takeaway from the article itself was that the parents' request of schools and other parents was reasonable, including keep you kid home if they're sick.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:16 pm

Obviously she was old.
Did you?

Joe

Not at all what I am doing. Kid's 5-11 will be vaccinated in the very short-term future. That;'s all you are asking for... Whether school was in person or virtual, this still (likely) would have happened. It's a shame. Not downplaying anything. :roll:

Joe
Well, actually probably would not have happened if school was virtual, but as you know I'm not advocating that as the best policy at this point.

There are other policies that make more sense, given all the costs/benefits. But we do need to actually follow them, encourage others...even insist on others, to follow them.

Much better for the kids (and parents) overall.

Return to “POLITICS”