Patriot League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Patriot League 2022

Post by gymman1031 »

Any predictions? I think we do see major improvement from Holy Cross and Lafayette.
HopFan16

Re: Patriot League 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:46 pm Any predictions? I think we do see major improvement from Holy Cross and Lafayette.
Major improvement for Lafayette? They have now lost 27 games in a row dating back to 2019. They are 29-125 since 2011 and that's across four different coaching staffs. They have not won a Patriot League game in five seasons. What's a major improvement for them? Winning a single game?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I have a hard time not seeing loyola earning the 1 seed. With sissleberger at lehigh, he could be the game changer to keep the ball of loyolas stick....and for that matter everyone's stick by his own :lol:.

The covid year certainly gives them those two the advantage, especially with Army and Navy not having that luxury....something more to fight for. But if a player wants to have an extra year of locker room time I get it. SA's are off learning how to fly jets and choppers, subs and ships...serving.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and like half their rosters head to prep. they'll be fine.
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 pm and like half their rosters head to prep. they'll be fine.
So are you comparing a year in prep , that half the team are walk ons to fill the roster, to a full year of playing D1
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Lehigh, Loyola and Army look to be battling it out for the title. Sissel at the X is tough to beat as he won 80% on the year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 pm and like half their rosters head to prep. they'll be fine.
So are you comparing a year in prep , that half the team are walk ons to fill the roster, to a full year of playing D1
who had a full year of d1?
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:04 pm

Someone is I am assuming trying to say SA teams will be fine even know they have no fifth year guys returning because half their kids go to prep school, I am trying to say you can not compare a freshmen year on a D1 program to a year in prep school.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A year at prep playing with a roster of about 18, of mostly walk-ons, vs. a few other prep schools, is equal to a player that already spent 4 years in a system with their d1 team and then gets a 5th year?.....nice try at lobbing a grenade over the wall and walking away, aint takin' the bait. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

lorin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:23 am

Someone is I am assuming trying to say SA teams will be fine even know they have no fifth year guys returning because half their kids go to prep school, I am trying to say you can not compare a freshmen year on a D1 program to a year in prep school.
i think you mean you can't. have you sent any kids along to play at the academies? maybe you have.
it is my opinion that with a roster, up and down from freshmen to seniors, of guys that are a year more mature, a year bigger and stronger, a year more ready for their academy... that they are "as far" along as a team where several guys redshirt and several guys stay for a fifth year. or 4 1/2 year.
everybody's got opinions.
lorin

Post by lorin »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:07 am
lorin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:23 am

i think you mean you can't. have you sent any kids along to play at the academies? maybe you have.
it is my opinion that with a roster, up and down from freshmen to seniors, of guys that are a year more mature, a year bigger and stronger, a year more ready for their academy... that they are "as far" along as a team where several guys redshirt and several guys stay for a fifth year. or 4 1/2 year.
everybody's got opinions.
Some very good points, just saying take away fifth year guys from Loyola this year , they would not be favorite to win Patriot leauge, or be in top 10.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Covid ex yr ad is temporary that shall eventually pass. Before 2020. the services had the advantage of a prep year (5th) for some that offset some others use of redshirting . Bigger advantage to lead teams today and going forward is the ability to add top talent from transfer portal. Services cant do what Maryland, Duke, ND Rutgers have been and will be doing on a annual basis.

Army student body is geared differently and their demanding curriculum includes daily exercise and sport activity. Their sports teams are in top shape year round. Effort and discipline is never in question and Alberici is a fine coach.

Army team has talent with athleticism and they lose little from 2021 starting squad, just Beyer on defense and Garofano on offense , both were good but stock of talent to replace.

Army's star Nichtern is back as is goalie Shupler and other lead players such as Abshire will return . Expect additional contributors from well coached and prepared.

My opinion is that Army will be stronger in 2022 as will Loyola. Both have a wide enough nucleus to not only win the Patriot League but make noise in playoffs.

Patriot is a good league with four truly competitive teams . Navy is a sleeper on the rise under Amplo and Lehigh always fields a solid squad.

My order be Army, Loyola, Navy, Lehigh, BU, Colgate, HC, Bucknell, Lafayette
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Will irritate Rutgers fans but imo they would be third to fifth best team in Patriot.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:05 am Covid ex yr ad is temporary that shall eventually pass. Before 2020. the services had the advantage of a prep year (5th) for some that offset some others use of redshirting . Bigger advantage to lead teams today and going forward is the ability to add top talent from transfer portal. Services cant do what Maryland, Duke, ND Rutgers have been and will be doing on a annual basis.

Army student body is geared differently and their demanding curriculum includes daily exercise and sport activity. Their sports teams are in top shape year round. Effort and discipline is never in question and Alberici is a fine coach.
is it an advantage? to win championships? i'm not sure that's what we saw in 2021.
rutgers moved their station in life up for the year. we'll see what the future holds.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:08 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:05 am Covid ex yr ad is temporary that shall eventually pass. Before 2020. the services had the advantage of a prep year (5th) for some that offset some others use of redshirting . Bigger advantage to lead teams today and going forward is the ability to add top talent from transfer portal. Services cant do what Maryland, Duke, ND Rutgers have been and will be doing on a annual basis.

is it an advantage? to win championships? i'm not sure that's what we saw in 2021.
rutgers moved their station in life up for the year. we'll see what the future holds.
Bertrand's 33 points was a bust for the 2020-2021 UVA transfer....had no bearing on their winning. #TransfersMatter
~Livy

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 pm

Bertrand's 33 points was a bust for the 2020-2021 UVA transfer....had no bearing on their winning. #TransfersMatter
nichtern and hudgins and whoever else will be 5th years this year. they'll be fine.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

stupefied wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:07 am Will irritate Rutgers fans but imo they would be third to fifth best team in Patriot.
I get your general point here...and I'll agree that Army and Loyola are ahead of Rutgers...but I would not place anyone else ahead from the PL...not at this point in the preseason chatter anyway...I'd take Rutgers over the rest of the Patriot field today...could things change as we get into the first month of the season...sure...but today, I'll take RU over anyone not named Army or Loyola...and so in a way, that fits into your assessment...sort of (3rd)

Now the good thing is we will definitely get to see Loyola host Rutgers again in Feb and I assume Rutgers will also play Army...so we will get to actually see these games again which is great this year...can't wait..and I would favor both Army and Loyola in those games...IMO

I think Army is gonna be really really good...and if Loyola has its full compliment of guys healthy and back...I like them a lot

Lehigh and Navy are right there behind those two IMO...and the others are gonna want to join the conversation...should be a fun year to watch as a fan of the PL...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm

nichtern and hudgins and whoever else will be 5th years this year. they'll be fine.
Army is gonna be a damn good...no shortage of talent, experience, and athleticism there...not that October assessments matter, but I'd favor Army in the PL right now with Loyola a close second
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Army team has talent with athleticism and they lose little from 2021 starting squad, just Beyer on defense and Garofano on offense , both were good but stock of talent to replace.

Army's star Nichtern is back as is goalie Shupler and other lead players such as Abshire will return . Expect additional contributors from well coached and prepared.

My opinion is that Army will be stronger in 2022 as will Loyola. Both have a wide enough nucleus to not only win the Patriot League but make noise in playoffs.

Patriot is a good league with four truly competitive teams . Navy is a sleeper on the rise under Amplo and Lehigh always fields a solid squad.

My order be Army, Loyola, Navy, Lehigh, BU, Colgate, HC, Bucknell, Lafayette
What has happened to bucknell the last five or so years? Feds slipping or something else? I know they were good in 18. Not sure how 20 might’ve shaken out but he’s been 15-16 since 2018 and he their worst season since he took over in 2017 at 5-8. So from 2017 forward he’s been 31-28 after being 106-62 from 2006-2016. Hope they can bounce back. It was a nice tough temporary rivalry w Bart when they were in the PL for 5-6yrs from 98-04 incl diary the legendary streaker game.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:21 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm

Army is gonna be a damn good...no shortage of talent, experience, and athleticism there...not that October assessments matter, but I'd favor Army in the PL right now with Loyola a close second
Not gonna make a prediction but Army is good and Nichtern is the best player in the PL. Call me a wishhful thinker or big dreamer, but I'd like to see 3 PL teams make the tourney. And yes, one is NOT Lehigh.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”