All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

RedFromMI

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by RedFromMI »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:25 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:46 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 am Why Are Highly Vaxxed Colleges Implementing Strict COVID Policies?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/vi ... definition
What’s happening at Coppin State?
I couldn't find anything through google other than it looks like they're back to school, vaccinating, etc...still concerned about spread to broader community.

Some of the restrictions described at some schools seem a bit over the top, if their vaccination rate is really, really high. Being strict on that makes a ton of sense, but outdoor masks? No more than 5 students gathering?

Seems to me that it's time to relieve some of that pressure, unless there's some serious confounding factor specific to their immediate community.

I don't have an issue with regular screenings and quarantine, though.
I think in the case of the super highly vaccinated schools there are a few factors working here - wealthy parents for the most part, and a sense that the school administration wants the absolutely safest environment is one. Another is to model what they think is the safest behavior.

Definitely over the top, though, on some of the restrictions. Not sure that symptomless screening of vaccinated students that often is necessary. Certainly some of the "outdoor" restrictions go too far if there is not extended contact.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:09 am Some good news.

https://apnews.com/article/merck-says-e ... 6a0fffcc60

This may cannibalize Ivermectin sales but Merck is all in.
,,, it won't. The right wing clowns think they are the same thing and Ivermectin costs less. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:39 am Why Are Highly Vaxxed Colleges Implementing Strict COVID Policies?

... most likely there is a lawyer in the loop. These are some of the most liability conscious institutions on the planet, and people love to sue them.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:11 am

,,, it won't. The right wing clowns think they are the same thing and Ivermectin costs less. :roll:
they're waiting on the principle trial and avoiding covid in the meantime.

slightly disappointed that it wasn't in the 2/3 to 80% neighborhood for more severe disease, but you can't have everything. with such a low powered trial for endpoint of death (0 vs 8), it may be tough to make anything of that yet, but promising.
couldn't tell, did they actually stop the trial or just applying with interim results?

merck's gonna clean up at $1000+ a pop.

and question... for the purposes of what merck means by 10 million doses... is a dose per pill, daily regimen (8 pills) or full regimen (40 pills)?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

New Hanover County, NC: 62 Covid deaths in September vs. 205 from the pandemic start through August 31, 2021.

"Of the 62 deaths reported in September, the ages of those who died and were unvaccinated skewed younger than those who died and were fully vaccinated. Reported deaths in unvaccinated individuals averaged 56 years old, compared to an average age of 77 years old in vaccinated individuals. Sixty-five percent of deaths reported this month in the unvaccinated population were in their 30’s, 40’s or 50’s, while more than eighty-five percent of deaths reported in vaccinated individuals were in their 70’s or older."

https://news.nhcgov.com/news-releases/2 ... opulation/

All this is just anecdotal, though.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:48 am

slightly disappointed that it wasn't in the 2/3 to 80% neighborhood for more severe disease, but you can't have everything. with such a low powered trial for endpoint of death (0 vs 8), it may be tough to make anything of that yet, but promising.
couldn't tell, did they actually stop the trial or just applying with interim results?

and question... for the purposes of what merck means by 10 million doses... is a dose per pill, daily regimen (8 pills) or full regimen (40 pills)?
Sounds good...promising. Hope it works, and hope it works since all I've been asking for, for months, is options to help avoid the ICU should I become infected. Being sent home by your doctor, after testing positive, with no home therapeutic option available was/is just stupid. Monoclonal antibodies came along but of course you need to qualify, and if lucky, none too late. Of course the only possible therapeutic option, IVM, has been politicized/mischaracterized/stigmatized beyond any chance of realistic application here in the states.

Anyone who doesn't think Merck made a bottom line decision to create a new therapeutic, rather than research IVM for anti-viral purposes using the same rigorous analysis, is either lying or just being silly.

I do admit this seems to be happening faster than I certainly expected, so I'm temporarily moving away from my, I'll believe it when I see it position.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Productivity, IMHO. What happens when someone gets Covid, even if they're vaccinated? Weeks of isolation, right?

So what happens when a few teachers get it? TA's?

In my field? Most multinational breweries and distillers aren't allowing travel for key employees ....they still work from home. Why? Because of the rampant cases of anosmia.

I have a colleague that STILL hasn't gotten back his full sense of smell after 11 months and counting....and his job is to blend one of the world best known whiskies. So right now? His career is on hold, and he's scared sh*tless that his senses will never return to normal, which means a 30 year career just sailed out the window.

It's more than just "Covid kills you".
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Productivity, IMHO. What happens when someone gets Covid, even if they're vaccinated? Weeks of isolation, right?

In my field? Most multinational breweries and distillers aren't allowing travel for key employees ....they still work from home. Why? Because of the rampant cases of anosmia.

I have a colleague that STILL hasn't gotten back his full sense of smell after 11 months and counting....and his job is to blend one of the world best known whiskies. So right now? His career is on hold, and he's scared sh*tless that his senses will never return to normal, which means a 30 year career just sailed out the window.

And there is the rub....breakthroughs still can cause those same side effects. One of my guys who was vaccinated with moderna, just got breakthrough case, lost smell, headache, and fatigue, not serious. about a week recovery but smell is still acting up.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I mentioned my sisters’ best friend has kidney damage now. But she’s alive.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:07 pm

And there is the rub....breakthroughs still can cause those same side effects. One of my guys who was vaccinated with moderna, just got breakthrough case, lost smell, headache, and fatigue, not serious. about a week recovery but smell is still acting up.
Chances are it would have been worse had he not been vaccinated? Your guys all vaccinated yet?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:26 pm

Sounds good...promising. Hope it works, and hope it works since all I've been asking for, for months, is options to help avoid the ICU should I become infected. Being sent home by your doctor, after testing positive, with no home therapeutic option available was/is just stupid. Monoclonal antibodies came along but of course you need to qualify, and if lucky, none too late. Of course the only possible therapeutic option, IVM, has been politicized/mischaracterized/stigmatized beyond any chance of realistic application here in the states.

Anyone who doesn't think Merck made a bottom line decision to create a new therapeutic, rather than research IVM for anti-viral purposes using the same rigorous analysis, is either lying or just being silly.

I do admit this seems to be happening faster than I certainly expected, so I'm temporarily moving away from my, I'll believe it when I see it position.
That’s a lie.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:48 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:07 pm

Chances are it would have been worse had he not been vaccinated? Your guys all vaccinated yet?
As of last week, we are above 80%, fully vaccinated.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:50 pm

That’s a lie.
:roll: Of course to you it is. The truth?... I simply forgot to include "IMO" in the statement.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:26 pm Of course the only possible therapeutic option, IVM, has been politicized/mischaracterized/stigmatized beyond any chance of realistic application here in the states.

I don't get it----if you're Merck....why wouldn't you be working to find a better drug than IVM to fight Covid?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:20 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:26 pm Of course the only possible therapeutic option, IVM, has been politicized/mischaracterized/stigmatized beyond any chance of realistic application here in the states.

I don't get it----if you're Merck....why wouldn't you be working to find a better drug than IVM to fight Covid?
Because almost two years has elapsed. Hypothetically, why not go with IVM (if the same rigorous testing showed promise) while you're developing something better?

Although there is evidence of positive outcomes using IVM off-label, there's no evidence Merck ever considered doing their own IVM testing for Covid. Maybe they did... we'll never know.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:25 pm Although there is evidence of positive outcomes using IVM off-label, there's no evidence Merck ever considered doing their own IVM testing for Covid. Maybe they did... we'll never know.
That's what I was about to say----who says they didn't do just that---work on IVM, while chasing after better treatments. You're right, we'll never know.

Think of all the data that has come pouring in from the vaccine. If you're in the drug business? This was a landmark event in your R&D history. I expect a ton of new drugs to flow from this.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm
tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:25 pm Although there is evidence of positive outcomes using IVM off-label, there's no evidence Merck ever considered doing their own IVM testing for Covid. Maybe they did... we'll never know.
That's what I was about to say----who says they didn't do just that---work on IVM, while chasing after better treatments. You're right, we'll never know.

Think of all the data that has come pouring in from the vaccine. If you're in the drug business? This was a landmark event in your R&D history. I expect a ton of new drugs to flow from this.
Hope so. Options are good!
Typical Lax Dad

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:50 pm

That’s a lie.
:roll: Of course to you it is. The truth?... I simply forgot to include "IMO" in the statement.
I have responded to your post in the past listing other approved therapeutics.

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/ ... cs-tracker

Here you go again. The only POSSIBLE option is not truthful. you can say "I made a mistake"..... we all do.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Hope so. Options are good!
Oh, I agree! I guess I'm just saying it's a new world with these SARS illnesses. Pretty cool, really.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

I won't belabor this a fan, but one one thing... Merck's official statement against using IVM for anything other than an anti-parasitic came out very early. Would they have already done testing prior to that?...doubt it.

Return to “POLITICS”