VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by DMac »

Right, love taps when delivered by a Va boy.

There's a little history there that you might not be aware of, MDlax.

That said, glad you enjoyed it, murph, a nice venue indeed, particularly in Feb and March.
Yes, enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans make up the majority of Cuse fans (there are exceptions just like everywhere else of course). 3,900 in attendance, makes for a pretty good atmosphere.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:15 pm Right, another "attempted murder" in a contact sport on a lacrosse field....did you catch the penalty on the big hit on Kennedy?
Yeah, you're BSing a lot of people with the dung misspelling. Got any bridges for sale?
I'll stick with my real classy comment.
I chuckled.
Not sure why you're taking such offense at a bit of sarcasm and satire.
Could be because this is the guy who goes completely ape**** if he thinks someone disrespected his family name. Dung is rather foul and out line I would think.
How bout that unnecessary roughness penalty (same as Bomberry's) on Greco on the hit on Kennedy? Pretty vicious, eh? No need for comment on that one, I guess, just a pretty rough play in a contact sport played on a lacrosse field.
THIS GUY? Do you mean Cosmo Kramer? Or DMAC? Bomberry? Greco? Kennedy? Referee Wittlesberger?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pick one, I'm confident you can get it right all by yourself.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 pm Right, love taps when delivered by a Va boy.

There's a little history there that you might not be aware of, MDlax.

That said, glad you enjoyed it, murph, a nice venue indeed, particularly in Feb and March.
Yes, enthusiastic and knowledgeable fans make up the majority of Cuse fans (there are exceptions just like everywhere else of course). 3,900 in attendance, makes for a pretty good atmosphere.
IMO, JHU fans PRETEND TO know the game...SU fans really DO know the game. Warm and cozy in the Dome. Arlotta is a great venue....but in February and March In the Dome, there wouldn't be turnovers if the ball hits the roof.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 pmSo did Lars plan for the goalies to split halves or did he pull Burkinshaw?
I'd also like to know the answer to this one.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:25 pm I dunno about the Sabre, but you do tend to lead with your chin, Cooter.
Picking fights when it really isn't necessary.

This was a perfect example.
The commenters were just being enthusiastic about a great rivalry, one that rarely disappoints in terms of close, exciting contests.
It was a statement of mutual respect and appreciation.

Why pick a fight.
I am not picking a fight, just challenging a questionable assertion. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:56 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 pmSo did Lars plan for the goalies to split halves or did he pull Burkinshaw?
I'd also like to know the answer to this one.
you guys can probably answer this yourselves.
you have one goalie that saved just under 50% last year, and just over 40% this year so far. had his share of struggles on clears and outlets.
you have another who just had 24 saves on 35 shots on goal. which is a game and a half to 2 games worth of s.o.g. sample size.

what coach do you know who would've gone into the game with the plan to split halves?

i will say that the shots that went in in the 1st half were not impossible saves. still, i'm flabbergasted given the circumstances (he did make some good saves, too) that he was pulled. maybe there's more info that only the team/coaches/goalies know --- a conversation at halftime, warmups, etc. but i don't get it.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I thought Lars' explanation about starting Patrick Burkinshaw over Alex Rode the previous week was odd. Why talk about process and the coaches revising depth charts every week? As the head coach, he owns the decision and does not need to share his process or point to a committee.

Perhaps, he felt remorse about the decision and wanted to give Alex Rode another chance. I hope he made the decision before the game to split time and communicated it to both goalies.

Lars had a great goalie in Jack Kelly. I hope he knows how to manage his goalies' confidence too. Goalies do not do well when they think they may get pulled if someone scores on them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DU-fan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:20 pm I thought Lars' explanation about starting Patrick Burkinshaw over Alex Rode the previous week was odd. Why talk about process and the coaches revising depth charts every week? As the head coach, he owns the decision and does not need to share his process or point to a committee.

Perhaps, he felt remorse about the decision and wanted to give Alex Rode another chance. I hope he made the decision before the game to split time and communicated it to both goalies.

Lars had a great goalie in Jack Kelly. I hope he knows how to manage his goalies' confidence too. Goalies do not do well when they think they may get pulled if someone scores on them.
As a DU fan, you know of Tierney's willingness to play two goalies.

We don't know what the reasoning was, but I do know that if the tenders don't understand, it can be a serious problem. Hopefully the staff is being transparent about their process with the goalies.

But, yes, it's entirely possible that Burkinshaw's practice week was nowhere as sharp as the week prior. And Rode's may have been much better. And they may have seen issues with the freshman during the game and decided they needed to be flexible to make a move.

Based on the evidence, so far, at least that we fans have been able to see (admittedly incomplete), I'd run with Burkinshaw and give him some rope.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

The talk of system, process, evolution, numbering, analytics, metrics etc are all fine when UVA wins but sounds airy when they don't.

Analyzing players weekly on practice may offer greater opportunity and quicker change but doesn't account for player needs for recovery and that some are gamers more than practice all Americans.

I think it is fair to say that coaches get assessed weekly by fans based on game results but its fairer to judge the larger body of work for them and players. Goalie results are going to fluctuate some and their confidence needs to be maintained.

UVA has several top talents who would produce under any system. Team has progressed but most implementations of new ways take months instead of three years. Perhaps Ive misunderstood the talk and Tiffany is referring to changes in culture that can now be transfered down quickly more than time needed to learn his system since college players have just four years
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Plus, apart from the talent on the Syracuse team, the Dome can be a tough place for a goaltender to pick up the ball, particularly first time out.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

True and their players know it. So do most who have skin in the game but if you don’t see it all the time ...,
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Fantastic game up and down. Rehfus and Conrad are two of my favorite players to watch so it was great to see both have solid games. Thrilled that Conrad is in Conrad form. He was unreal off the ground and continues to invert opportunistically. Kraus, and a few other guys in the past week, have made me kind of appreciate the dive as an actual new dimension now that it seems to slowly be finding some control and discipline. Every time Laviano does that 360 leap in celebration, I think of the Denver goalie who pulled his acl getting amped up going into a half.

Interesting to hear the talk on Tiffany regarding analytics. I was listening to an interview with him a week ago and I was thinking that this guy seems like he's into all things trending as unconventional and the cutting edge in regards to health, physical training, mindfulness, and sports psychology. There is nothing wrong with that, and it can be very beneficial. Obviously Brown did their unconventional thing and created an identity with it. I get that Rhodes productivity was 43% or something, but I was still surprised to him make the change this week, and then again back to Rhodes at the half. It's always interesting to see the drama of data and wholistic assessment play out. Tiffany seems to be finding a nice balance. But data will only take you so far.

I guess Greco is Quint's Gaudet for the year, constantly commenting on his physical appearence under the helmet. I find it obnoxious, but that is who this guy has chosen to be as an announcer. The hit on Kennedy, by the way, was as legal as the come imo.
molo

Post by molo »

While it's easy to make light of some of his new age concepts, it is refreshing to see a coach who actually incorporates knowledge from other areas instead of the hidebound cliches that so often dominate thinking in sports. I can remember being told not to drink water during games because it could cause cramps. Remember when weight training, indispensable nowadays, was associated with making players "muscle bound?"
Give me the new stuff over the corn and cliches.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I'm with ya....to a degree. Sports psych and training are always generating new approaches (it's a huuuge industry) whether it ketogenics, carb cycling, , yoga, multidisciplinary sports medicine, functional movement patters, analytics, pliability, etc....Everything is multidisciplinary these days. I heard an interview with Ben Askren where he articulates the balance pretty well.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm I get that Rhodes productivity was 43% or something, but I was still surprised to him make the change this week, and then again back to Rhodes at the half. It's always interesting to see the drama of data and wholistic assessment play out. Tiffany seems to be finding a nice balance. But data will only take you so far.
you are (or may not be?) aware that burkinshaw got the start against princeton the week before and had 24 saves vs 11 goals, right?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:15 pm Right, another "attempted murder" in a contact sport on a lacrosse field....did you catch the penalty on the big hit on Kennedy?
Yeah, you're BSing a lot of people with the dung misspelling. Got any bridges for sale?
I'll stick with my real classy comment.
I chuckled.
Not sure why you're taking such offense at a bit of sarcasm and satire.
Im actually surprised that Dmac didn't cite the 'Saltine Warrior" reference besides the derogatory Dung (animal excrement) . Im not a politically correct person myself and do enjoy good sarcasm but Saltine Warrior use to be Syracuse mascot but removed forty years since it was offensive to Native Americans. Directing both at a Native American player on a public forum isn't classy but insulting whether intended or not.

Cuse fans are knowledgeable and had no issue with Greco's hit , reality is Bomberry hit on Conrad was also shoulder to chest and Ryan had benefit of seeing it coming. I like clean physical play and wouldn't have thrown flags on either but concussions just dont happen helmet to helmet and refs are calling it in every sport whether fans and players like it or not. Id have to look at replay but also thought Solomon's over the head attempt to dislodge ball involved minor contact which also may not have warranted call. As far as Solomon on Rhode last year, I thought that was was an unnecessary love tap worthy of a flag and but reaction by UVA contingent was way over the top.

Onto to the recent game, it was a good one between historical rivals that played hard . Thought Cuse had it in bag but great UVA comeback. I'll continue root for ACC teams when playing out of conference so good luck in those. Until we meet again.
anotherbighoofan

Post by anotherbighoofan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:22 pm I get that Rhodes productivity was 43% or something, but I was still surprised to him make the change this week, and then again back to Rhodes at the half. It's always interesting to see the drama of data and wholistic assessment play out. Tiffany seems to be finding a nice balance. But data will only take you so far.
you are (or may not be?) aware that burkinshaw got the start against princeton the week before and had 24 saves vs 11 goals, right?
You might check that. I thought I saw Rhode in there briefly maybe 5 minutes then burkinshaw.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

anotherbighoofan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:01 pm
You might check that. I thought I saw Rhode in there briefly maybe 5 minutes then burkinshaw.
nah, burkinshaw went the whole way. now, pulling someone in 5 minutes, that'd take some real stones. or crazy pills.
to me, though --- the syracuse move wasn't much further away.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”