All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

Farfromgeneva

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by Farfromgeneva »

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlant ... MR5DE5UPM/

Local lady anti Vaxxer. Fayette Co Ga

Wondering if they are trying to keep their babies from a conspiracy define mind control by the liberal govt?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:25 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am Speaking of pregnant women and COVID. Have to admit I am surprised that there is so much vaccine hesitancy still among pregnant women, although it may just be an issue in Mississippi and similar high hesitancy states.
the article literally states it's at 75% nationwide.
you are better.
though i did just read on fanlax this wasn't much of a problem anymore. (rolling eyes emoji).
We had a discussion a few weeks ago regarding hesitancy rates for pregnant women. Where it was claimed the national hesitancy rate for pregnant women was 75%. I did not believe that number was true, may be the official number arrived at by polling, but not reflective of the true state of affairs.

The CDC released an alert notice yesterday urging pregnant women to get vaccinated. Using data a few weeks old they claim the full vaccination rate is/was 31% for pregnant women in the US. 69% unvaccinated. So clearly the hesitancy rate is/was lower than both 75% and 69%. That unvaccinated rate includes those who only received one shot as of that date (clearly not hesitant); those with access problems; and the truly hesitant. Pregnant African American women according to the article are only 16% fully vaccinated, the lowest of all cohorts. They have a problem with hesitancy and access.

You can back into a more realistic pregnant woman hesitancy rate by estimating the value of those with access problems and those with only a single shot, waiting for their second. I have not done this, as it will require more research than I am willing to put into the effort at this time. In any case even a simple modification provided by the above mechanisms gets the relevant hesitancy number down to a more believable ~60% (two shot to one shot comparison does this alone). Without further analysis I would view this as an upper limit on hesitancy among pregnant women in the September time frame.

News article. Article provides references to CDC alert notice and supporting docs.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Too bad that we even have to compare who and where are dying from a virus.
ggait

Post by ggait »

OB/GYNs have strongly recommended pregnant and pre-pregnant women get vaxed since December 2020.

With delta variant now widely circulating, they've been screaming that from the roof tops about this more recently.

Great example of how strong the disinformation runs. Folks ignore their doctors clear advice and endanger their own lives and those of their babies.
All because of some BS on Facebook about how the vaccine is dangerous to fertility.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:51 pm
The analysis of why this is the case is interesting.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

ggait wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:29 pm OB/GYNs have strongly recommended pregnant and pre-pregnant women get vaxed since December 2020.

With delta variant now widely circulating, they've been screaming that from the roof tops about this more recently.

Great example of how strong the disinformation runs. Folks ignore their doctors clear advice and endanger their own lives and those of their babies.
All because of some BS on Facebook about how the vaccine is dangerous to fertility.
Wonder how many of these people are r's and in the religious pro-life crowd?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:21 pm
I just hate that it’s all about being on sides and the analysis generally just feeds into more bs while people are actually dying. At some point it’s paralysis by analysis vs action.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:29 pm OB/GYNs have strongly recommended pregnant and pre-pregnant women get vaxed since December 2020.

Guy that posts here questions it.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:49 pm
I just hate that it’s all about being on sides and the analysis generally just feeds into more bs while people are actually dying. At some point it’s paralysis by analysis vs action.
Yes, it's really too bad that there's this right wing backlash against experts, but the article is a bit more nuanced than simply ascribing it to that. There's a reality as well, that in addition to less education, rural white and black and brown etc pops tend to be less healthy, indeed more comparable to lower income urban pops, who are more typically black and brown. More obesity, poor nutritional habits, and also less access to quality healthcare...again not unlike poor urban pops.

But alpha hit the dense, urban areas early and burned a lot of the dry tinder...and delta, which is much more transmissible, is reaching into less dense areas that still have a lot of dry tinder, vulnerability.

The good news is that overall cases are declining...yet the fire continues to rage very hot in rural areas. Still a long way to go for them as so many not vaccinated.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:13 pm
Yes, it's really too bad that there's this right wing backlash against experts, but the article is a bit more nuanced than simply ascribing it to that. There's a reality as well, that in addition to less education, rural white and black and brown etc pops tend to be less healthy, indeed more comparable to lower income urban pops, who are more typically black and brown. More obesity, poor nutritional habits, and also less access to quality healthcare...again not unlike poor urban pops.

But alpha hit the dense, urban areas early and burned a lot of the dry tinder...and delta, which is much more transmissible, is reaching into less dense areas that still have a lot of dry tinder, vulnerability.

The good news is that overall cases are declining...yet the fire continues to rage very hot in rural areas. Still a long way to go for them as so many not vaccinated.
I’m curious how much legacy distrust in the govt for black people exists due to prior bad acts, without expounding on that other than to say we didn’t do medically right by them for generations. Or if that’s not a big consideration at this point
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:16 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:13 pm

I’m curious how much legacy distrust in the govt for black people exists due to prior bad acts, without expounding on that other than to say we didn’t do medically right by them for generations. Or if that’s not a big consideration at this point
It's certainly often cited as a big factor.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

It's not paralysis by analysis at all. It's not even an analysis. It's having an opinion and then looking for whatever can be found on-line that confirms that opinion.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:40 pm https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/323 ... ources-say

The train is leaving.
guarantee continued education on the safety of the vaccine was pulled down from the internet and not the library of congress.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:18 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:40 pm https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/323 ... ources-say

The train is leaving.
guarantee continued education on the safety of the vaccine was pulled down from the internet and not the library of congress.
Everyone suddenly becomes smart when their money’s at risk.

Went to my Dr’s office today, part of the NC Novant system that let 175 employees go earlier this week for not following their implemented vaccination rules. According to the PA I always see, six people at this particular office had a change of heart and vaccinated when they realized their employer was serious.

Time to charge the unvaccinated more for their health insurance.

Of course this is just anecdotal.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Umm, NO. Full Stop. First EUA vaccines were available in December 2020 dude. Very little pregnancy related data at that time. Have had multiple MD friends give birth in the past year. They trust vaccines but were going with mask + distance and isolation until they had reliable peer-reviewed data on pregnancies (peer-reviewed is a fun trigger for fatty)

The anti-vaxx and conservative movement has enough fuel without you spitting fire onto it, even if retroactively. Even if you're right 99% of the time and they're wrong 99% of the time, the anti-vaxx righties take your 1% failure and say "hey, look, they screwed up here, what else are they hiding."
ggait

Post by ggait »

Natty -- Just repeating the guidance from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. From December 2020.

ACOG: Pregnant Women Should Have Chance to Get COVID-19 Vaccine
The vaccine should not be withheld from people who are pregnant or breastfeeding and who fall in prioritized categories, a key physicians group says.

"In the interest of allowing pregnant individuals who would otherwise be considered a priority population for a vaccine approved for use … (to) make their own decisions regarding their health, ACOG recommends that pregnant individuals should be free to make their own decision in conjunction with their clinical care team," the group's practice advisory says.

Similarly, the advisory says, "theoretical concerns regarding the safety of vaccinating lactating individuals do not outweigh the potential benefits of receiving the vaccine. There is no need to avoid initiation or discontinue breastfeeding in patients who receive a COVID-19 vaccine. "

ACOG also notes the type of vaccine created by Pfizer is an mRNA vaccine, which means it doesn't carry a live virus. A vaccine from Moderna that's expected to receive similar federal approval in the coming days also is an mRNA vaccine.

"These vaccines do not enter the nucleus and do not alter human DNA in vaccine recipients. As a result, mRNA vaccines cannot cause any genetic changes," the advisory says.

Based on the little data known so far, the CDC says pregnant women face an increased risk of severe COVID-19 illness and may face a heightened risk of negative pregnancy outcomes, such as preterm birth, if they become infected.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news ... -acog-says
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Bart

Post by Bart »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:18 pm

The train is leaving.
Everyone suddenly becomes smart when their money’s at risk.

Went to my Dr’s office today, part of the NC Novant system that let 175 employees go earlier this week for not following their implemented vaccination rules. According to the PA I always see, six people at this particular office had a change of heart and vaccinated when they realized their employer was serious.

Time to charge the unvaccinated more for their health insurance.

Of course this is just anecdotal.
Glad to hear where you live this is not having an effect on patient care. Not so much around here where the knuckle dragging mouth breathers must reside. Certainly is different, from what I can gather, between downstate NY and Upstate/Western NY.

URMC canceled elective surgeries for a couple of weeks and closed several urgent care.
FFTH same.

I know one hospital that had 18 of 24 ER beds full with patients waiting to get beds in the hospital. Hospital is full, not completely with COVID patients (there are some) but with patients waiting for beds in rehab/nursing home facilities. Seems that in the area there are over 20 or so that are not taking new patients due to staffing shortages. Back up is into the Hospital.

The number of job openings at the local Hospital is 3X the normal.

But mandates do seem to work. Wife's department is now 100% vaccinated! That is after the one nurse and several techs were let go but they are at 100$% now! (I'm not counting the ones with exemptions)

People should be vaccinated. But to cut health care workers during a pandemic seems rather silly to me. There are other work arounds that would have less impact on patient care, IMO.

Much like your example, this is just anecdotal from one small slice of NYS heaven.

Return to “POLITICS”