Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:30 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 am Alumni game, tent party and golf outing postponed until 2022 due to Covid.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... mage/58471
"Syracuse’s men’s lacrosse held its annual Orange Alumni Classic, starting with a game with alumni and ending with an intrasquad scrimmage. "
Apparently that noted global medical powerhouse Syracuse University figured out a way to bring alumni back and have them and the students play INSIDE this weekend.
this lax alum looks to be about 70, no mask-lax or otherwise.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUTKaAAlx5X/
syracuse.com spent the weekend w/the program and wrote it up which I only mention here to compare what is apparently a move by homewood to take excessive precautions.
Inside the Dome?
Huge space, plenty of dispersion.

Likely 100% vaccinated was a requirement.

Dartmouth just changed our alumni game format to a alumni vs alumni game, then intrasquad, then tailgate etc...but no social indoor if it's bad weather. But in a pinch they can do the games in the new indoor facility.

Vaccination required for participation by alumni. I think the team has already been vaccinated.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am Well PM cut a few guys from the team today so the roster is less bloated than it was yesterday.
who and when does the actual roster reflect kids on campus.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:18 pm
hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am Well PM cut a few guys from the team today so the roster is less bloated than it was yesterday.
who and when does the actual roster reflect kids on campus.
It was 6 guys. Juniors and sophs. I'd assume now that this is done the roster will be posted shortly. They were told that there was a "tryout" for the last couple weeks.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

It was 6 guys. Juniors and sophs. I'd assume now that this is done the roster will be posted shortly. They were told that there was a "tryout" for the last couple weeks.
[/quote]

Always hate seeing this- while we don't know the circumstances hopefully these young men knew before they enrolled for fall that they were on the bubble and would be trying out. It's D1 lacrosse- nothing is guaranteed we all know but still rough to hear.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

backerzone wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm It was 6 guys. Juniors and sophs. I'd assume now that this is done the roster will be posted shortly. They were told that there was a "tryout" for the last couple weeks.
Always hate seeing this- while we don't know the circumstances hopefully these young men knew before they enrolled for fall that they were on the bubble and would be trying out. It's D1 lacrosse- nothing is guaranteed we all know but still rough to hear.
[/quote]

On the one hand it’s competitive high level athletics and you aren’t guaranteed anything. However with the previous staff unless you were a complete jackwagon off the field you weren’t getting run off. With the new staff taking this approach which is certainly their prerogative it may help internal competition, it doesn’t help recruiting.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

UVA had a bunch of cuts and then won two titles. There is something to be said about accountability. Last regime talked about it a lot, but rarely followed through.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:02 pm
backerzone wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:10 pm It was 6 guys. Juniors and sophs. I'd assume now that this is done the roster will be posted shortly. They were told that there was a "tryout" for the last couple weeks.
On the one hand it’s competitive high level athletics and you aren’t guaranteed anything. However with the previous staff unless you were a complete jackwagon off the field you weren’t getting run off. With the new staff taking this approach which is certainly their prerogative it may help internal competition, it doesn’t help recruiting.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about the recruiting cost comment.
Seems to me that the only thing 'guaranteed' (almost) is a slot with Admissions to a highly prestigious university. Everything after that is really up to the talents and efforts of the individual, as student and as player.

If guys simply want to be on a team, as opposed to significantly contributing to that team's excellence, that's probably not the best recruit for a program that aspires for NCAA tournament success.

Being the 45th or 50th or 55th best contributor?
Maybe there's a team where you can be among the top 30th best contributors, or better. It would be great if that school was a terrific academic opportunity too, of course, but the student-athlete is responsible for weighing his personal priorities, not the coach.

But there's certainly no guarantee to be implied simply by having been a recruit. Gotta prove you deserve the spot every day. Deal with your personal realities. Most of the recruits you really want would embrace that philosophy.

However, of course, I do think kids deserve a fair shot at proving themselves, including a measure of loyalty if you really do the hard work enthusiastically to help the team on and off the field.

Now, that does matter to recruiting other kids!

Where to draw that line is always the question, but just 'showing up' can't be enough.

All that said, there's no doubt that Hop had a bloated roster situation, the size alone being detrimental to excellence...way too much standing around. So, any player with 'his head up' would have known that a new staff was very likely going to cull the herd to a more productive level.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 pm UVA had a bunch of cuts and then won two titles. There is something to be said about accountability. Last regime talked about it a lot, but rarely followed through.
Agree
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This shouldn't impact recruiting - I suppose someone could be swayed by an opposing coach putting forth - Hopkins runs off its own players but if you take the time to review the situation you would see that none of these players were Milliman recruits. He's not running an SEC football team and oversubscribing the 12.6 every year and throwing out the chaffe. You would also recognize he was dealing with an impossible situation with 2 recruiting classes just before he became the coach totalling 36 players initially leaving well over 30 players with at least 3 years of eligibility left and a total roster approaching 60.

That being said - it's very unfortunate for the young men having to deal with this news. Despite my predisposition to a drastically reduced roster
- it is not lost on how crappy this is on a personal level. Hopefully, Hopkins is providing the education they want or they can transfer at some point to continue lacrosse.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

we're in year 2 of the corona eligibility situation and they had a year to gel w/pm. There shouldn't be any surprises. barring injury situations cohen, burnett, uphoff would be at the top of the list. Then some combination of the jr defensemen and perhaps young middies lacking offensive punch and who they don't think they can develop.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm we're in year 2 of the corona eligibility situation and they had a year to gel w/pm. There shouldn't be any surprises. barring injury situations cohen, burnett, uphoff would be at the top of the list. Then some combination of the jr defensemen and perhaps young middies lacking offensive punch and who they don't think they can develop.
You are a sad individual

Also, Cohen left the team months ago.

You'd know that if you knew literally anything
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Can you "cut " a kid on scholarship if he isnt breaking team rules? Is PM cutting players based on athletics?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:27 pm Can you "cut " a kid on scholarship if he isnt breaking team rules?
Yes
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Similar situation with the 2025 recruiting class. He cut them loose right before their senior year since they weren't his recruits. Now he is trimming the 2023's and 2024's.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:40 pm we're in year 2 of the corona eligibility situation and they had a year to gel w/pm. There shouldn't be any surprises. barring injury situations cohen, burnett, uphoff would be at the top of the list. Then some combination of the jr defensemen and perhaps young middies lacking offensive punch and who they don't think they can develop.
I know who got cut. You obviously don't. And the fact that you're dropping names on a public forum is sad. These are good kids and well liked on the team. I assume that PM will assist them in finding a place to continue playing if that's what they choose to do. Obviously Hopkins is not going to provide any athletic money for them going forward and I hope that the Bloomberg money can help them out if they choose to continue attending Hopkins beyond this season. Their athletic money is guaranteed for them this year. This is a very difficult situation for these 6 young men.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Important to remember the reality is that the first cuts were made last spring when players who wanted to use their extra year of eligibility were told thank you for your service and the transfer portal is over there. That included seniors who had seen the field. I’m still perplexed what the previous staff was thinking with such a bloated roster going forward. Was 60-70 kids going to be the norm?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:13 pm There is something to be said about accountability. Last regime talked about it a lot, but rarely followed through.
This is it right here.

Never happy to lose guys, but it was really an untenable situation with the roster size.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 pm
I know who got cut. You obviously don't. And the fact that you're dropping names on a public forum is sad. These are good kids and well liked on the team. I assume that PM will assist them in finding a place to continue playing if that's what they choose to do. Obviously Hopkins is not going to provide any athletic money for them going forward and I hope that the Bloomberg money can help them out if they choose to continue attending Hopkins beyond this season. Their athletic money is guaranteed for them this year. This is a very difficult situation for these 6 young men.
Hobart has an H, Hopkins has an H, both d3 in all other sports. We’re like the old US and the poem The New Colossus.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lorin

Post by lorin »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:33 am
hmmm wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 pm
Hobart has an H, Hopkins has an H, both d3 in all other sports. We’re like the old US and the poem The New Colossus.
Totally agree my sons team is getting ready to make cuts, everyone is sick to their stomach about it, to drop names about who it could be is low life move.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

That guy speaks for himself and himself only, we really ought to put a disclaimer stickied on top of each page.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”