All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

MDlaxfan76

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:23 pm I still think my guy in my kids class messed up-not for notifying but to spread concern and interjecting that communication was poor and related personal in note with no evidence of that. Overly static and too cautious and spreading the risks and costs around to everyone else is problematic as well. Not certainly equal but I am seeing more reactionary hysteria and lack of measured responses that does have costs so at some point that needs to be addressed to. I don’t know but all I’m down the no risk under any circumstance isn’t the answer either and there clearly a cohort in this country that is of that kind.
Certainly agree, but is there really much of this sort that you describe as "no risk" or is it that most folks simply want to dramatically reduce risk by taking straightforward steps together that enable us to do most activities with minimal concern, whether for ourselves or for others?

I do think there are many who are fed up with those unwilling to make small sacrifices for the public good. That's true.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Joe Rogan, Bret Weinstein, Men In Black Dude and Starbucks Baristas everywhere should be all over this:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/27/health/c ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:03 pm https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/27/us/karee ... index.html

You tell ‘em Capt.
Can't spell Jabbar without "jab." Kareem nails it:

"What I find especially disingenuous about the vaccine deniers is their arrogance at disbelieving immunology and other medical experts," he told Rolling Stone. "Yet, if their child was sick or they themselves needed emergency medical treatment, how quickly would they do exactly what those same experts told them to do?"
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:31 pm Spoke with my sister about vaccines. Talked to her for months about getting it. Finally got it a couple of months ago because her best friend contracted COVID-19 and was sick. She said she believes a co-worker passed it on to her because after sitting across from each other and talking at work, she got sick and the co-worker died within 3 or 4 days….. my sister smartened up real fast. Her friend now has kidney problems….
good effort. fear strikes again. anecdotal, of course.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:37 pm Joe Rogan, Bret Weinstein, Men In Black Dude and Starbucks Baristas everywhere should be all over this:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/27/health/c ... index.html
gotta doubt they'll jump in at thousands per pop for merck and pfizer.

good news if it comes thru. early antiviral trials, whowouldathunk?

ivm has the uk in their corner, checking it out.

ivm vs mrk/pfe. who ya got?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:31 pm Spoke with my sister about vaccines. Talked to her for months about getting it. Finally got it a couple of months ago because her best friend contracted COVID-19 and was sick. She said she believes a co-worker passed it on to her because after sitting across from each other and talking at work, she got sick and the co-worker died within 3 or 4 days….. my sister smartened up real fast. Her friend now has kidney problems….
or rationality?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am Sure, I was adamantly opposed to Trump in 2016, knew he was a charlatan and a grifter, a cheat in every aspect of his life, a con man. Pretty simple, even if he was running under my party's banner. I expected him to destroy any moral standing the party had to deserve to govern, and this was proven correct again and again. You call that TDS and the "resistance" trying to "destroy" Trump...nope, it was just the horrified belief that he would be a disgrace...which he did all to himself, by being himself. I actually hoped I'd be proven wrong, just predicted that he'd be an egomaniac who would do or say anything to accrue power (money) to himself and those who actually did bootlick and feed at his trough as loyalists.
Whatever. You've delivered this tired screed ad nauseam, for how long now? And there's no discussing anything re Trump with you in your, as I said the other day, confirmation bias with yourself.

I also saw that as potentially a very dangerous seeding of a new form of fascism...again, proven accurate, unfortunately.
Yes, this we can agree upon... Antifa is a scourge that must be eradicated. Dregs of the earth...

But again you reveal yourself with this nonsensical whining so typical of the hard right Trumpist that the "resistance" was trying to destroy Trump, rather than he himself attracted the anger and vitriol due to his being such an actually despicable person. All Presidents face vigorous opposition, and they should, but Trumpists think that any critique of Trump is TDS, that his poop doesn't actually stink really, really bad.
BS. No modern presidency faced the kind of resistance/opposition that Trump and his admin did. You fail to see simply because you agreed with and were a part of the movement. Don't even reply to this...you're wrong.

Riiiiiight, I'm "typical of a whiny hard right Trumpist" and yet I have said Trump should never be allowed to run for elected office of any kind. Solid logic there on your part. :roll:

Did you think I didn't predict that his disastrous response to Covid would cost him in the election? Nope, I said that had he responded effectively, cogently, supportive of the experts, he'd have been in a much greater position to win in November...it was obvious, even perplexing, to me that he was destroying his chances as the spring rolled around and he pivoted to a declaration that it was all done, take the masks off...etc...doomed to fail. Terrible politics, though it did fire up a a portion of the populace, akin to his pandering to white supremacists fired up another segment. A choice...higher intensity, but a minority.

Yep, he did a bad job, said some bad stuff. Nothing I haven't already said.

Or are you saying you voted for Biden over Trump, hopeful for better from him?
I did, first time I've ever voted for D for POTUS. Been voting since 1976. That's a lot of votes.
Or did you vote for Trump despite his idiotic rejection of the medical and public health experts (or maybe even because of it)?
As you know (or certainly should), I did not vote at all. You have a short memory especially since you characteristically scolded re civic duties at some point.

ahhh yes, I don't have a running log of who voted for whom.
A non-vote was a vote for Trump in my book.
and you spend so much energy on defending or deflecting from Trump's responsibility for his own troubles...
Your "non-vote" comment is just dumb, as well as sanctimonious drivel.

OMG... I do not defend Trump (the man) but I certainly criticize and push back on anyone who claims the country is better off under Democrat rule.

and yeah, I'll have criticisms of Biden and his Admin for sure...have mentioned several already in his first year, but on the 'performative' stuff around COVID, yeah, I think he took the far better tack than the blustering fool in the White House at the time.
:roll: "Better tack" is certainly a stretch. They both suck IMHO.

well, ok, I guess they should have promoted whatever Brett tells them... :roll:
Just more... dumb.
[/quote]
[/quote]
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:36 pm
or rationality?
Yeah, or a quick course in rudimentary risk management and self-care.
Typical Lax Dad

Common sense, of course.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

seacoaster wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm
or rationality?
Yeah, or a quick course in rudimentary risk management and self-care.
One of my best friends won’t get vaccinated…he says he will keep looking into it. He has a good excuse for not being vaccinated. He has an 8th grade education.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:43 am Sure, I was adamantly opposed to Trump in 2016, knew he was a charlatan and a grifter, a cheat in every aspect of his life, a con man. Pretty simple, even if he was running under my party's banner. I expected him to destroy any moral standing the party had to deserve to govern, and this was proven correct again and again. You call that TDS and the "resistance" trying to "destroy" Trump...nope, it was just the horrified belief that he would be a disgrace...which he did all to himself, by being himself. I actually hoped I'd be proven wrong, just predicted that he'd be an egomaniac who would do or say anything to accrue power (money) to himself and those who actually did bootlick and feed at his trough as loyalists.
Whatever. You've delivered this tired screed ad nauseam, for how long now? And there's no discussing anything re Trump with you in your, as I said the other day, confirmation bias with yourself.

I also saw that as potentially a very dangerous seeding of a new form of fascism...again, proven accurate, unfortunately.
Yes, this we can agree upon... Antifa is a scourge that must be eradicated. Dregs of the earth...

But again you reveal yourself with this nonsensical whining so typical of the hard right Trumpist that the "resistance" was trying to destroy Trump, rather than he himself attracted the anger and vitriol due to his being such an actually despicable person. All Presidents face vigorous opposition, and they should, but Trumpists think that any critique of Trump is TDS, that his poop doesn't actually stink really, really bad.
BS. No modern presidency faced the kind of resistance/opposition that Trump and his admin did. You fail to see simply because you agreed with and were a part of the movement. Don't even reply to this...you're wrong.

Riiiiiight, I'm "typical of a whiny hard right Trumpist" and yet I have said Trump should never be allowed to run for elected office of any kind. Solid logic there on your part. :roll:

Did you think I didn't predict that his disastrous response to Covid would cost him in the election? Nope, I said that had he responded effectively, cogently, supportive of the experts, he'd have been in a much greater position to win in November...it was obvious, even perplexing, to me that he was destroying his chances as the spring rolled around and he pivoted to a declaration that it was all done, take the masks off...etc...doomed to fail. Terrible politics, though it did fire up a a portion of the populace, akin to his pandering to white supremacists fired up another segment. A choice...higher intensity, but a minority.

I did, first time I've ever voted for D for POTUS. Been voting since 1976. That's a lot of votes.
Or did you vote for Trump despite his idiotic rejection of the medical and public health experts (or maybe even because of it)?
As you know (or certainly should), I did not vote at all. You have a short memory especially since you characteristically scolded re civic duties at some point.

and you spend so much energy on defending or deflecting from Trump's responsibility for his own troubles...

OMG... I do not defend Trump (the man) but I certainly criticize and push back on anyone who claims the country is better off under Democrat rule.

and yeah, I'll have criticisms of Biden and his Admin for sure...have mentioned several already in his first year, but on the 'performative' stuff around COVID, yeah, I think he took the far better tack than the blustering fool in the White House at the time.

Just more... dumb.
[/quote]
[/quote]

:lol: I'm glad to know how deranged you really are, tech.
For all your denials, you sure do whine like the typical Trumpist.

Ohh woe is me, those nasty 'resistance' people never ever treated anyone rough. :roll:
Seriously, you actually believe that drivel? (oh yeah, you really do...)

Much less like the dirt ball, con man, cheat, egotistical idiot that he actually is...ohh my...someone told the truth about him. the "resistance"...so unfair...

Man, if you actually think he didn't deserve to ever run again, how can you miss that we simply knew what a POS he really is? Or do you think the "resistance" made him this way?

Anti-fascists = fascists...more bizarro world logic.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm No modern presidency faced the kind of resistance/opposition that Trump and his admin did.
Not true.

Nixon and Clinton did. And all for the same reason.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:48 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:04 pm

Just more... dumb.
[/quote]

:lol: I'm glad to know how deranged you really are, tech.
For all your denials, you sure do whine like the typical Trumpist.

Ohh woe is me, those nasty 'resistance' people never ever treated anyone rough. :roll:
Seriously, you actually believe that drivel? (oh yeah, you really do...)

Much less like the dirt ball, con man, cheat, egotistical idiot that he actually is...ohh my...someone told the truth about him. the "resistance"...so unfair...

Man, if you actually think he didn't deserve to ever run again, how can you miss that we simply knew what a POS he really is? Or do you think the "resistance" made him this way?

Anti-fascists = fascists...more bizarro world logic.
[/quote]

Anti-racist = racists…notice the pattern?
“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

or rationality?
Nope, the first one.

Joe
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:34 pm
or rationality?
Nope, the first one.

Joe
Really? That’s all you got?

Tell all the people who’ve lost one of the 707,000+ in the US who have died that their experience is anecdotal.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 pm
or rationality?
Nope, the first one.

Joe

Tell all the people who’ve lost one of the 707,000+ in the US who have died that their experience is anecdotal.
Barking up the wrong tree. How about the 33,295,755 who have recovered from CV-19, as of today? Are they not considered important? :roll: :roll:
MD, I DO NOT want a long winded diatribe reflecting your confirmation bias. You can be the moral authority of your own family, your not mine.

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

or rationality?
Nope, the first one.

Joe
Fear is often a rational response to danger.
Inaction, being frozen, is to be avoided under threat, but when fear motivates you to get out the water when sharks are spotted, that's rational.

If it works as a motivator, fine with me. Good for the rest of us....and the healthcare workers in specific.

I was talking with our health plan client at Johns Hopkins today...their medical staff in much of the hospital is totally exhausted by the emotional stress of losing so many patients this way...bloody awful. They'd been bleeding staff all of last year as a result...just flat exhausted physically and emotionally.
a fan

Post by a fan »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 pm Barking up the wrong tree. How about the 33,295,755 who have recovered from CV-19, as of today? Are they not considered important?
I'm still trying to square what it is you think we should have done as Americans in responding to Covid.

You make it sound as if you think we should have done nothing, and simply gone on with our lives. No masks. No closures. No border closures. No distancing.

Do I have this right? And if I don't, can you please tell me what it is you think we should have done? All I can tell is that you think we're "doing it wrong".

Thanks.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:07 pm
or rationality?
Nope, the first one.

Joe

Barking up the wrong tree. How about the 33,295,755 who have recovered from CV-19, as of today? Are they not considered important? :roll: :roll:
MD, I DO NOT want a long winded diatribe reflecting your confirmation bias. You can be the moral authority of your own family, your not mine.

Joe
That was Sc's response, not mine.
I've already told you, and any other reader, why this isn't about 'you' and your family, it's about all of us. If you want to get your back up about 'moral authority' that's your call, but I'm not scolding you. Don't need to repeat the logic again.

As I did respond, fear can be quite rational. And an excellent motivator at times.

We discuss these topics of public policy, the good, the bad and the ugly... and we exchange information updates. We learn, we think, we consider. Sometimes we even change our minds! But most importantly, we try to engage thoughtfully.

That's the whole point.

Return to “POLITICS”