All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

jhu72

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by jhu72 »

CDC study of K-12 school masking shows schools with no mask mandate are 3.5 times more likely to experience a COVID outbreak than schools with a mask mandate. This study was conducted in Florida. A second CDC study across the entire US found that counties that had no mask requirements in their schools had a 2x higher rate of pediatric COVID cases after the school year began than those counties that did have mask requirements.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:53 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am Half Of Unvaccinated Workers Say They’d Rather Quit Than Get A Shot – But Real-World Data Suggest Few Are Following Through

In my one on one experience? This is virtue signaling. This this anti vaxx world....they've convinced themselves that not taking the vaxx is "free thinking". That they think things through, and everyone else is a sheep. Masks, too.

But as GGait points out-----somehow in this world of theirs, taking invermectin or monclonal treatments is fine. That's NOT being a sheep.

Good luck explaining how that works.
As previously stated, IMO, inconsistent/bad messaging from the people in charge, including the med establishment, as well as the politicization of a disease...

starting here:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/b8ilLJbvkus
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am
RedFromMI wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:22 am Half Of Unvaccinated Workers Say They’d Rather Quit Than Get A Shot – But Real-World Data Suggest Few Are Following Through

In my one on one experience? This is virtue signaling. This this anti vaxx world....they've convinced themselves that not taking the vaxx is "free thinking". That they think things through, and everyone else is a sheep. Masks, too.

But as GGait points out-----somehow in this world of theirs, taking invermectin or monclonal treatments is fine. That's NOT being a sheep.

As previously stated, IMO, inconsistent/bad messaging from the people in charge, including the med establishment, as well as the politicization of a disease...

starting here:

This is where you and I get in trouble. I have yet to see you post one single complaint about Trump's handling of the situation. Or any Governor with a R by their name. So I read between lines.

I'm not going to do that here.

I'm going to , instead, think that you made a mistake----and believe that you also blame Trump and Republican Governors for their part.

I will say this----the stupid game that Biden and Harris played with the "Trump vaccine" is as bad as it gets.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

starting here:

well, as you undoubtedly have discovered, most of us on here think the "blame" is predominantly on the charlatans and grifters, and those who have seized on "freedom" as a political divider and actively promoted misinformation, and less so on the "bad" messaging from the medical establishment, the infectious disease experts, the public health experts.

Not that poor messaging didn't contribute, but the politicization whether we like it or not, was predominantly so divided early on because we had a POTUS who wanted to do the medical and policy messaging himself and he so royally botched it at nearly every turn.

The mask thing really should never have been politicized by Trump...but he saw that there's this strain of "freedom" and "individualism" that the right wing has been fostering for years. indeed part of our "American mythology" and he himself undoubtedly found mask wearing 'uncomfortable' and constraining, but the pivot to being defiantly anti-mask was a disastrous move. We should have all been pro-mask usage, all the more so as the evidence came in about it being a respiratory virus with transmission also from asymptomatic infections. Should have been a universal reaction, promoted from the biggest bully pulpit on down...consistent with what the experts were saying as this moved forward and we learned more and more.

And this rejection of the public health experts, the reaction to speak over them, to encourage doubt in them, by Trump, told his political constituency to do the same. IMO, that ultimately sowed the seeds for the huge amount of vax resistance that is so perverse, given that it would/should have been considered such a triumph of will and technology to have accomplished it so fast. Trump's embrace of HCQ, "light", bleach, etc only further exacerbated this craziness, with those who indeed saw it as crazy, to then hammer on the importance of listening to actual experts...but the Trump core simply rejects all such in favor of whatever Trump tells them or some misinformation conspiracy theory seems plausible to them. Divide increased.

Before wgdsr reprimands me for missing how black and brown resistance has been high as well, I totally agree that this was/is far less partisan political in motivation, but rather a general fear of the goodwill of government.

I don't really blame Biden for having decided to be so publicly performative about social distancing and mask compliance during his campaign. Trump had created the divide, Biden stepped into performing as he was communicating that this is what a POTUS should be doing in these circumstances. Appropriate.

Likewise, I don't blame Biden for being so performative about setting aspirational goals for vaccine roll-out, etc; likewise, this what we expect from a POTUS in such a situation. That a large segment of the GOP decided to be anti-vax in response, to actually cheer when a timing goal was narrowly missed...that was simply gross.

Plenty to critique about stumbles in communication from the Biden Admin, but I just don't buy that the craziness of antivax and miracle cure folks is because of the Democrat folks' messaging snafus.

78% of Republicans right now still believe that Joe Biden didn't win the most (legitimate) votes, that Trump actually won the election and should be the rightful POTUS today. Facts don't matter.

Weird world we live in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:19 am

starting here:

This is where you and I get in trouble. I have yet to see you post one single complaint about Trump's handling of the situation. Or any Governor with a R by their name. So I read between lines.

I'm going to , instead, think that you made a mistake----and believe that you also blame Trump and Republican Governors for their part.

I will say this----the stupid game that Biden and Harris played with the "Trump vaccine" is as bad as it gets.
I'd agree with that last point, though not sure it's quite on the scale of some Trump doozies, but it was definitely a very wrong thing to message. I understand why so many quite rational folks were concerned that Trump seemed so eager about making an announcement before Election Day, though it was obvious the scientists simply wouldn't be ready. We didn't want to see any decisions be pressured, overriding the actual science. And we certainly didn't trust Trump to put Americans' health above his election prospects. (and we were definitely right about that).

But sowing any doubt in the vaccine itself, without any scientific basis to have such doubt, just distrust of the POTUS, was a mistake. Politically motivated and wrong at its core.
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:44 am But sowing any doubt in the vaccine itself, without any scientific basis to have such doubt, just distrust of the POTUS, was a mistake. Politically motivated and wrong at its core.
Yes. Politically motivated....and utterly moronic. What did they think would happen if they made those comments, and then won the d*mn election?? Now it's THEIR vaccine, obviously.

It's the stupidity of the PREPARED comment that gets me. They had time to think about it, and STILL said it.

Reckless and idiotic.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

COVID's Assault on the Moral Fiber of Medicine

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/se ... 1901920d0r

Statistical Considerations for Evaluating COVID Vaccine Protection

tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:19 am

starting here:

"people in charge" which includes Trump/admin and nothing I haven't already said on here during the 4th qtr of 2020.

Your last sentence is appreciated though. But don't forget Cuomo, who for the general resistance clowns was considered the proxy POTUS as Covid unfolded early on.
Last edited by tech37 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:38 am

starting here:

well, as you undoubtedly have discovered, most of us on here think the "blame" is predominantly on the charlatans and grifters, and those who have seized on "freedom" as a political divider and actively promoted misinformation, and less so on the "bad" messaging from the medical establishment, the infectious disease experts, the public health experts.
Yes, most of you have seized on a false narrative to equate the so-called "charlatans and grifters" with anyone who doesn't follow the capricious proclamations of CDC/WHO who have F'd up royally at times, enough to diminish confidence.

Not that poor messaging didn't contribute, but the politicization whether we like it or not, was predominantly so divided early on because we had a POTUS who wanted to do the medical and policy messaging himself and he so royally botched it at nearly every turn.
Right, as I have said myself on more than one occasion on here. Once again, I predicted his election loss due to his mishandling of Covid. Try remembering that, for future reference, regardless of your Trump obsession.

The mask thing really should never have been politicized by Trump...but he saw that there's this strain of "freedom" and "individualism" that the right wing has been fostering for years. indeed part of our "American mythology" and he himself undoubtedly found mask wearing 'uncomfortable' and constraining, but the pivot to being defiantly anti-mask was a disastrous move. We should have all been pro-mask usage, all the more so as the evidence came in about it being a respiratory virus with transmission also from asymptomatic infections. Should have been a universal reaction, promoted from the biggest bully pulpit on down...consistent with what the experts were saying as this moved forward and we learned more and more.
In a perfect world...

And this rejection of the public health experts, the reaction to speak over them, to encourage doubt in them, by Trump, told his political constituency to do the same. IMO, that ultimately sowed the seeds for the huge amount of vax resistance that is so perverse, given that it would/should have been considered such a triumph of will and technology to have accomplished it so fast. Trump's embrace of HCQ, "light", bleach, etc only further exacerbated this craziness, with those who indeed saw it as crazy, to then hammer on the importance of listening to actual experts...but the Trump core simply rejects all such in favor of whatever Trump tells them or some misinformation conspiracy theory seems plausible to them. Divide increased.
More hindsight and spin according to mdlax.

Before wgdsr reprimands me for missing how black and brown resistance has been high as well, I totally agree that this was/is far less partisan political in motivation, but rather a general fear of the goodwill of government.

I don't really blame Biden for having decided to be so publicly performative about social distancing and mask compliance during his campaign. Trump had created the divide, Biden stepped into performing as he was communicating that this is what a POTUS should be doing in these circumstances. Appropriate.
Did you post this with a straight face?

Likewise, I don't blame Biden for being so performative about setting aspirational goals for vaccine roll-out, etc; likewise, this what we expect from a POTUS in such a situation. That a large segment of the GOP decided to be anti-vax in response, to actually cheer when a timing goal was narrowly missed...that was simply gross.

Plenty to critique about stumbles in communication from the Biden Admin, but I just don't buy that the craziness of antivax and miracle cure folks is because of the Democrat folks' messaging snafus.
I doubt many anti-vaxx people are "crazy" but that's how you roll. Just more shaming/ridiculing to attain moral authority.

78% of Republicans right now still believe that Joe Biden didn't win the most (legitimate) votes, that Trump actually won the election and should be the rightful POTUS today. Facts don't matter.

Weird world we live in.
And you certainly add to it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:12 pm COVID's Assault on the Moral Fiber of Medicine

Statistical Considerations for Evaluating COVID Vaccine Protection

remember the days of ostracizing and demonizing hiv. ironic they now head the cdc and nih with their background.

we've learned so much and learned so little.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:49 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:07 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:37 pm How do we feel about this email I just got tonight? It was a reply to another generic email to our class from the class parents about a gift card or whatever. Pretty aggressive, but his kid and third case in class since 8/6. Because it's his kid I'll give him a pass, but it reeks a little to me. Personally, say what you want to say, find another educational outlet or shut up. If it was done without a sick kid I'd reply either "please unsubscribe" or "STFU" because it wouldn't be appropriate IMO.

If anything I think the lazy text and blast email system is too much, weak form, communication from what I've observed. And the little stuff that could be rolled up or not sent could be avoided to allow us to focus on major/important matters to me.

Hi fellow parents,

There is very limited information flowing about covid and contagion at Mary Lin/APS. I have strong opinions about it, so I wanted to let you know that our son, xxxxx, tested positive for covid today. He had a fever last night and most of the day, but he seems otherwise strong and in good spirits.

I think (I hope I'm wrong) that you won't hear about it through any other channel. Our guess is that he got it at school, although there is no way to know it for sure. He also attended school until yesterday and unfortunately, he might have been playing, sitting, or having lunch next to your son or daughter.

I hope you and your families are in good health. I just wanted to give you the information that I think you would need in order to be cautious with your health and those around you.

Have a good night,
Looked this dad up -google ya know.

PhD in something physics related from Madrid (my spanish blows but Condensed Matte(r?) Phsyics best I can tell. Then a bunch of bs that I can see through in resume/linkedin inflation (executive leadership programs to drop university names into a CV, etc, as if full time programs which I know in two cases are not what they are), director of fraud analytics for a spanish bank being acquired by PNC currently so his gig is probably at risk as a expense synergy. Can't tell if he's angry and probably has a lot on his plate as well as his kid being sick but for you jackals to tear apart here was my respons when I woke up a little while ago (the only change is I am using my son's name as the outside world sees him and felt appropriate since he's clearly in my mold only better than his father vs. the one on his birth certificate):

Very sorry to hear about your son. Having experienced the communication aspect of this virus with our son, Pimp Daddy Jr, who is in 3rd grade and has had two cases in his class to date, he and our daughter have been fine subsequent to those incidents to date and we know they test daily, I’ve found they do communicate fairly well in a timely fashion in these situations. Appreciate your notification and would be happy to provide any personal assistance if and when I can to you and your family – you have our information here.

Conversely I would personally suggest we collectively remain empirically skeptical but trusting as such a breakdown of trust can have potentially deleterious affects on our children and at least allow for the morning testing and operating process at the school before drawing any conclusions and acting on such. We’re certainly working with limited and statistically insignificant data with respect to this situation and our kids physical attendance back at school. This will continue to be my approach, as it has been, while having only empathy and a desire to be helpful to any whom I can that are victims of this virus.

With respect to administrative considerations, I’m sure this situation with the mother of the 3rd grade teacher requesting special treatment for her daughter based on a internal and unofficial benefit conferred to children of faculty, that elevated the mistake made by the Mary Lin administration executed in the fall of 2020 to a national level, and with a focus on the best interests of the certain very tiny cohort of children, is creating a tremendous distraction at a time when we need all the education professionals to be laser like focused on our children’s health and education in this time of global stress. That’s where our family’s will continue to monitor for it’s long term implications. (We have come to understand and noted that this “agent of change” was requesting special treatment for her daughter while her personal business aftercare school program was at risk for longer than this concern has existed, in the face of the heart of this viral crisis, as well as risk to her husbands not educator position within the school striking this parent as a context that should be broadly understood with respect to evaluating the work of the faculty staff and principal)

Regards,
Condensed Matter Physics is a legitimate discipline. Best known for the study of nuclear fusion. This is just a small part of the discipline however.
Thanks.

The guy is a fraud analyst for BBVA Compass, so not really doing what he studied in Madrid but had UT Austin at top then I see (specifc company executive leader program, other stuff like that fluffing his resume and obfuscating his actual chops). Compass is sold to PNC so he's probably worrying about his gig. There's going to be overlap there.
I'd have ended your reply after the first paragraph.
Or at least would have if I'd asked my wife or son's counsel! ;)
Now I really feel vindicated in my somewhat aggressive, but still attempt at empathy, reply. Keep in mind there were numerous parents freaking out and calling the school at 7am taking their attention away from the whole student body to manage this (and the principal did communicate around 9:15 the deal and the decision they made and why they made it, consistent with my experience 2x in my sons class):

Hi everyone,

It now seems that Sebastián's test was a false positive. We thought he had covid based on two antigen test positive results and feedback from the pediatrician, but he has now tested negative in a pcr test and a third antigen test we took today just to make sure. We will follow up with the doctor tomorrow but wanted to give you peace of mind based on the results of the tests.

We really appreciate all the support. Apologies if someone was unnecessary worried, but I wanted to share the information as it became available.

Thanks again,
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:38 am

starting here:

Yes, most of you have seized on a false narrative to equate the so-called "charlatans and grifters" with anyone who doesn't follow the capricious proclamations of CDC/WHO who have F'd up royally at times, enough to diminish confidence.

Right, as I have said myself on more than one occasion on here. Once again, I predicted his election loss due to his mishandling of Covid. Try remembering that, for future reference, regardless of your Trump obsession.

In a perfect world...

More hindsight and spin according to mdlax.

Did you post this with a straight face?

I doubt many anti-vaxx people are "crazy" but that's how you roll. Just more shaming/ridiculing to attain moral authority.

Weird world we live in.
And you certainly add to it.
:lol: as one of the most frequently posting the misinformation of Covid charlatans and grifters, I guess we should expect the above from you!

Of course my comments are in "hindsight"; what, we should ignore the perspective of experience???

But no, I was pushing hard on the mask response from early days, because it was so obvious to me...I explained that I had the benefit of a son who had been living in Asia, and could share his insight, but it was really, really clear. What was most disappointing was not that we were so far behind the eight ball at the outset (I could understand that given we really weren't prepared, didn't really understand the asymptomatic aspect, etc) but when it really did become obvious, Trump gave license to anti-mask...made it a valid political statement, a dividing line, and a way to give the finger to the medical establishment, the 'elites'. And that doesn't require hindsight, it was obvious how wrong-headed it was.

You seem to want credit for predicting that Trump's Covid fumbles would cost him on Election Day?
Really, that's supposed to be a major surprise?

Or are you saying you voted for Biden over Trump, hopeful for better from him?
I did, first time I've ever voted for D for POTUS. Been voting since 1976. That's a lot of votes.
Or did you vote for Trump despite his idiotic rejection of the medical and public health experts (or maybe even because of it)?

and yeah, I'll have criticisms of Biden and his Admin for sure...have mentioned several already in his first year, but on the 'performative' stuff around COVID, yeah, I think he took the far better tack than the blustering fool in the White House at the time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut but those don’t take credit for it like Tech just did and claim superior foresight. Brilliant.

I don’t recall the folks in Broome Co liking Cuomo from the start and I was there all spring and parts of the summer.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

WHO is restarting lab leak theory investigation. Biden administration pushing for the investigation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 pm :lol: as one of the most frequently posting the misinformation of Covid charlatans and grifters, I guess we should expect the above from you!

:lol: Right!...and just to spite you and other bureaucracy boot lickers on here.

Of course my comments are in "hindsight"; what, we should ignore the perspective of experience???

But no, I was pushing hard on the mask response from early days, because it was so obvious to me...I explained that I had the benefit of a son who had been living in Asia, and could share his insight, but it was really, really clear. What was most disappointing was not that we were so far behind the eight ball at the outset (I could understand that given we really weren't prepared, didn't really understand the asymptomatic aspect, etc) but when it really did become obvious, Trump gave license to anti-mask...made it a valid political statement, a dividing line, and a way to give the finger to the medical establishment, the 'elites'. And that doesn't require hindsight, it was obvious how wrong-headed it was.

You seem to want credit for predicting that Trump's Covid fumbles would cost him on Election Day?
Credit?...not really. When someone accuses me of not criticizing Trump in past though, it makes perfect sense to point out that prediction, which was based on previous criticism, by me, of Trump. I've also stated Trump should not be allowed to run again.

And don't try telling me you weren't sweating bullets over the idea of an additional 4 years of Trump, especially after you and the other resistance (the end justifies the means clowns) tried everything in their power to destroy Trump. At that point you were exasperated in your TDS fog, and without Covid and the economic lockdown/shutdown, Trump would have been reelected, and you know it.

I did, first time I've ever voted for D for POTUS. Been voting since 1976. That's a lot of votes.
Or did you vote for Trump despite his idiotic rejection of the medical and public health experts (or maybe even because of it)?
As you know (or certainly should), I did not vote at all. You have a short memory especially since you characteristically scolded re civic duties at some point.

and yeah, I'll have criticisms of Biden and his Admin for sure...have mentioned several already in his first year, but on the 'performative' stuff around COVID, yeah, I think he took the far better tack than the blustering fool in the White House at the time.
:roll: "Better tack" is certainly a stretch. They both suck IMHO.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wow, some doozies in there.
tech37 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 pm :lol: as one of the most frequently posting the misinformation of Covid charlatans and grifters, I guess we should expect the above from you!

:lol: Right!...and just to spite you and other bureaucracy boot lickers on here.

Got it, confidence in earned expertise over the motivations of charlatans and grifters = bootlicking... :roll:

Credit?...not really. When someone accuses me of not criticizing Trump in past though, it makes perfect sense to point out that prediction, which was based on previous criticism, by me, of Trump. I've also stated Trump should not be allowed to run again.

And don't try telling me you weren't sweating bullets over the idea of an additional 4 years of Trump, especially after you and the other resistance (the end justifies the means clowns) tried everything in their power to destroy Trump. At that point you were exasperated in your TDS fog, and without Covid and the economic lockdown/shutdown, Trump would have been reelected, and you know it.

Sure, I was adamantly opposed to Trump in 2016, knew he was a charlatan and a grifter, a cheat in every aspect of his life, a con man. Pretty simple, even if he was running under my party's banner. I expected him to destroy any moral standing the party had to deserve to govern, and this was proven correct again and again. You call that TDS and the "resistance" trying to "destroy" Trump...nope, it was just the horrified belief that he would be a disgrace...which he did all to himself, by being himself. I actually hoped I'd be proven wrong, just predicted that he'd be an egomaniac who would do or say anything to accrue power (money) to himself and those who actually did bootlick and feed at his trough as loyalists.

I also saw that as potentially a very dangerous seeding of a new form of fascism...again, proven accurate, unfortunately.

But again you reveal yourself with this nonsensical whining so typical of the hard right Trumpist that the "resistance" was trying to destroy Trump, rather than he himself attracted the anger and vitriol due to his being such an actually despicable person. All Presidents face vigorous opposition, and they should, but Trumpists think that any critique of Trump is TDS, that his poop doesn't actually stink really, really bad.

Did you think I didn't predict that his disastrous response to Covid would cost him in the election? Nope, I said that had he responded effectively, cogently, supportive of the experts, he'd have been in a much greater position to win in November...it was obvious, even perplexing, to me that he was destroying his chances as the spring rolled around and he pivoted to a declaration that it was all done, take the masks off...etc...doomed to fail. Terrible politics, though it did fire up a a portion of the populace, akin to his pandering to white supremacists fired up another segment. A choice...higher intensity, but a minority.

As you know (or certainly should), I did not vote at all. You have a short memory especially since you characteristically scolded re civic duties at some point.

ahhh yes, I don't have a running log of who voted for whom.
A non-vote was a vote for Trump in my book.
and you spend so much energy on defending or deflecting from Trump's responsibility for his own troubles...

:roll: "Better tack" is certainly a stretch. They both suck IMHO.

well, ok, I guess they should have promoted whatever Brett tells them... :roll:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Spoke with my sister about vaccines. Talked to her for months about getting it. Finally got it a couple of months ago because her best friend contracted COVID-19 and was sick. She said she believes a co-worker passed it on to her because after sitting across from each other and talking at work, she got sick and the co-worker died within 3 or 4 days….. my sister smartened up real fast. Her friend now has kidney problems….
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I still think my guy in my kids class messed up-not for notifying but to spread concern and interjecting that communication was poor and related personal in note with no evidence of that. Overly static and too cautious and spreading the risks and costs around to everyone else is problematic as well. Not certainly equal but I am seeing more reactionary hysteria and lack of measured responses that does have costs so at some point that needs to be addressed to. I don’t know but all I’m down the no risk under any circumstance isn’t the answer either and there clearly a cohort in this country that is of that kind.

Return to “POLITICS”