Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:32 pm Little Chauvette to Yale. Sorry, 16.
Not to be too dramatic but it feels like we are getting our lunch eaten on the recruiting front. This one should have been a lock.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Certainly does feel that way. It’s still early though.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Why sorry? I merely pointed out the possibility. Was never a sure thing. They’re three years apart, were recruited by different staffs, and went to different high schools, so it wasn’t quite the usual sibling situation where it’s a fait accompli that one follows the other. (Honestly we were lucky to get Martin’s brother). Not to mention Lawrenceville has been sending a ton of kids to Yale these past few years. The Ivies are collectively doing well this recruiting cycle, IMO because kids know there is a ton of playing time up for grabs and they also aren’t going to bring in grad transfer mercenaries. Speaking of, I don’t think Rutgers has landed any recruits in this class at all.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:20 am
Why sorry? I merely pointed out the possibility. Was never a sure thing. They’re three years apart, were recruited by different staffs, and went to different high schools, so it wasn’t quite the usual sibling situation where it’s a fait accompli that one follows the other. (Honestly we were lucky to get Martin’s brother). Not to mention Lawrenceville has been sending a ton of kids to Yale these past few years. The Ivies are collectively doing well this recruiting cycle, IMO because kids know there is a ton of playing time up for grabs and they also aren’t going to bring in grad transfer mercenaries. Speaking of, I don’t think Rutgers has landed any recruits in this class at all.
Just an attempt at humor. I knew you had mentioned as being high on your list of possibilities, hence the reference.

I am, however, disappointed in the result.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:25 pm Not to be too dramatic but it feels like we are getting our lunch eaten on the recruiting front. This one should have been a lock.
Why should "that one" have been a lock? Is there an unwritten rule a kid has to go to the same school as his brother? If Jackson Morrill can go to Yale so can a Chauvette. AND it's Yale - you're going to blame a kid for picking Yale - or Milliman losing him to Yale?

I think it's a little early to say we're getting our lunch eaten. Just a few weeks ago it seemed we were celebrating (or at least accepting) that we might not get all the 4 and 5 stars and we would recruit later. Now a couple of kids - that most of us only know anything about because Ty Xanders told us - have gone to Ivies and we're done? Let's wait and see if our recruiting class is really composed of Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton before throwing ourselves off the bridge.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:25 pm Not to be too dramatic but it feels like we are getting our lunch eaten on the recruiting front. This one should have been a lock.
Why should "that one" have been a lock? Is there an unwritten rule a kid has to go to the same school as his brother? If Jackson Morrill can go to Yale so can a Chauvette. AND it's Yale - you're going to blame a kid for picking Yale - or Milliman losing him to Yale?

I think it's a little early to say we're getting our lunch eaten. Just a few weeks ago it seemed we were celebrating (or at least accepting) that we might not get all the 4 and 5 stars and we would recruit later. Now a couple of kids - that most of us only know anything about because Ty Xanders told us - have gone to Ivies and we're done? Let's wait and see if our recruiting class is really composed of Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton before throwing ourselves off the bridge.
Xanders content is basically sending surveys to coaches to turn into lists to rank kids and posting leaks he gets from schools and parents on comitments. if he or ed lee read this forum, paragraphs like 51's second one would be a story. PM on the transfer market and recruiting trail would be an interesting read but lacrosse journalism isn't that enterprising.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 am Alumni game, tent party and golf outing postponed until 2022 due to Covid.
The Women's team is still playing that Princeton that day and has a playday at Hopkins this coming Sunday. There will be games at homewood this fall think they've just canceled any social gatherings.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

hmmm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 am Alumni game, tent party and golf outing postponed until 2022 due to Covid.
The Women's team is still playing that Princeton that day and has a playday at Hopkins this coming Sunday. There will be games at homewood this fall think they've just canceled any social gatherings.
Also still going to be an intrasquad scrimmage at 4 at Homewood that day, as well as the usual networking events earlier in the day. The univesity is currently only allowing social events to do "grab-and-go" food (as opposed to buffets/sit-down dinners), so they decided to postpone the tent party to the spring when it's presumed the rules around food & drink will be relaxed.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:31 pm Xanders content is basically sending surveys to coaches to turn into lists to rank kids and posting leaks he gets from schools and parents on comitments. if he or ed lee read this forum, paragraphs like 51's second one would be a story. PM on the transfer market and recruiting trail would be an interesting read but lacrosse journalism isn't that enterprising.
And you wonder why he sends you DMs. That's not really true re: Xanders—everyone is well within their right to not put stock into those rankings but he puts the work in. Also he doesn't need leaks considering the majority of these kids and their club teams are posting their commitments on Instagram and that's how the news gets out.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

So they either play the Alumni game in January or they scrap it.
I don't see it happening during the season next Spring.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:38 am So they either play the Alumni game in January or they scrap it.
They changed the format. The alumni no longer play the current team. Which is a possibility why it was delayed also. I’ve heard many aren’t bought into new said format and attendance was going to be light.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:17 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:38 am So they either play the Alumni game in January or they scrap it.
They changed the format. The alumni no longer play the current team. Which is a possibility why it was delayed also. I’ve heard many aren’t bought into new said format and attendance was going to be light.
I get that there was going to be resistance to this given that it was a longstanding tradition, but it actually makes sense to me. The alumni game always struck me as a bit silly—the alums get utterly demolished like 20-2 every single year—it can't be all that fun for them while it's not exactly good practice for the current team either. Would make more sense for two teams of alums to play each other in a genuinely competitive game and then have a separate intrasquad scrimmage for the current team, which I think is what they were planning? Not that we should steal anything from Syracuse but I think that's how they did theirs this past weekend. Strikes me as a viable alternative and may end up being more fun for everyone even if it breaks tradition. Another option would be to mix current players in with alums and not have it be entirely players vs. alums.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Where is there “tons of playing time up for grabs”? Just wondering where you see it. (Not debating but wondering where you see it). The grad transfer thing may be true but not sure thats a big factor.
“I wish you would!”
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 am
flalax22 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:17 am
I get that there was going to be resistance to this given that it was a longstanding tradition, but it actually makes sense to me. The alumni game always struck me as a bit silly—the alums get utterly demolished like 20-2 every single year—it can't be all that fun for them while it's not exactly good practice for the current team either. Would make more sense for two teams of alums to play each other in a genuinely competitive game and then have a separate intrasquad scrimmage for the current team, which I think is what they were planning? Not that we should steal anything from Syracuse but I think that's how they did theirs this past weekend. Strikes me as a viable alternative and may end up being more fun for everyone even if it breaks tradition. Another option would be to mix current players in with alums and not have it be entirely players vs. alums.
Not to mention from what I’ve heard the alumni are generally “well refreshed” prior to the contest. I suspect liability at some point entered the conversation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:08 am
Where is there “tons of playing time up for grabs”? Just wondering where you see it. (Not debating but wondering where you see it). The grad transfer thing may be true but not sure thats a big factor.
Slimmer rosters in sheer numbers compared to the bloated ones of ACC/Big Ten/Big East. Fewer players to beat out. No threat of 5th years parachuting in to take spots. Generally seem to be a bit less upperclassmen-heavy as well which can create more of an unsettled depth chart and opportunities. If you're a top commit and immediate playing time is one of the things you value, you look at an Ivy roster like Princeton and compare it to one like Maryland's that is filled with IL 4-stars who are riding the bench (and will likely remain so for at least a couple more years), and the difference is stark.

Just one theory but not sure there is anything else that explains why Princeton and Penn, at least, are landing top recruits at a rate even higher than they had prior to the pandemic. I guess I'm mostly talking about Princeton already landing four of IL's top 30 players which has never come close to happening before to my knowledge.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Well PM cut a few guys from the team today so the roster is less bloated than it was yesterday.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:47 am
Slimmer rosters in sheer numbers compared to the bloated ones of ACC/Big Ten/Big East. Fewer players to beat out. No threat of 5th years parachuting in to take spots. Generally seem to be a bit less upperclassmen-heavy as well which can create more of an unsettled depth chart and opportunities. If you're a top commit and immediate playing time is one of the things you value, you look at an Ivy roster like Princeton and compare it to one like Maryland's that is filled with IL 4-stars who are riding the bench (and will likely remain so for at least a couple more years), and the difference is stark.

Just one theory but not sure there is anything else that explains why Princeton and Penn, at least, are landing top recruits at a rate even higher than they had prior to the pandemic. I guess I'm mostly talking about Princeton already landing four of IL's top 30 players which has never come close to happening before to my knowledge.
Just wondering. Princeton, Harvard and Yale all have an extra class of players on the roster as each school pretty much had their teams withdraw (for the most part). Cornell, Penn, Brown and Dartmouth less so. Princeton in particular is off to a good start but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the rankings. Current freshman class has players in it too….also not sure how many kids would consider Maryland vs an Ivy. Very different experiences although Princeton has picked up 2 or 3 players originally committed to Syracuse in the past.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 am

Just wondering. Princeton, Harvard and Yale all have an extra class of players on the roster as each school pretty much had their teams withdraw (for the most part). Cornell, Penn, Brown and Dartmouth less so. Princeton in particular is off to a good start but I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the rankings. Current freshman class has players in it too….also not sure how many kids would consider Maryland vs an Ivy. Very different experiences although Princeton has picked up 2 or 3 players originally committed to Syracuse in the past.
Harvard has only 3 seniors, 13 juniors, 12 sophomores listed at present...I think there's a dozen freshmen perhaps not yet posted.

I don't think there's an extra class in there, though I did find several that indicate they "didn't compete" in 2020 due to Covid. Quite a few of the sophs...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

Harvard has only 3 seniors, 13 juniors, 12 sophomores listed at present...I think there's a dozen freshmen perhaps not yet posted.

I don't think there's an extra class in there, though I did find several that indicate they "didn't compete" in 2020 due to Covid. Quite a few of the sophs...
Is that the 2022 roster? I assumed Harvard’s 2021 class was off campus as the practice squad was small last year. I had not heard directly.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

hmmm wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:39 pm
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... mage/58471
"Syracuse’s men’s lacrosse held its annual Orange Alumni Classic, starting with a game with alumni and ending with an intrasquad scrimmage. "
Apparently that noted global medical powerhouse Syracuse University figured out a way to bring alumni back and have them and the students play INSIDE this weekend.
this lax alum looks to be about 70, no mask-lax or otherwise.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUTKaAAlx5X/
syracuse.com spent the weekend w/the program and wrote it up which I only mention here to compare what is apparently a move by homewood to take excessive precautions.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:59 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:36 am

Harvard has only 7 seniors, 13 juniors, 12 sophomores listed at present...I think there's a dozen freshmen perhaps not yet posted.

Is that the 2022 roster? I assumed Harvard’s 2021 class was off campus as the practice squad was small last year. I had not heard directly.
Yes, 2022...doesn't mean that I'm understanding it all, as I'm much more in tune with Dartmouth's situation, but that's what it looks like...it does appear that some of them preserved eligibility years, but not so sure they took the year or even season off academically...I would have, I think, encouraged my son to have done so, just stretch out the college experience and extra year, do an extra internship before graduating. So, some may simply preserve the eligibility for possible graduate year use...potentially even two years. Looks like this year's senior class, though, is smaller, though let me correct that it's 7 not 3.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”