Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:09 pm :lol: ...now MDLF76 is spinning that we may have missed the phantom whipping of Haitian migrants, even though they were not captured on video.

The entire flap was based on the video images, which were willfully misinterpreted & misrepresented.

No Dems were concerned about the debacle in Del Rio until they generated a way to play the race card.

Meanwhile, Kismet can't grasp the concept that the Haitian diaspora in S America is capitalizing on the humanitarian situation in Haiti due to the earthquake there, to choose this opportunity to exploit Biden's open border non-enforcement policy. They picked a weak spot in our border defense to exploit. The next surge may target McAllen. The smugglers have a stretegy, we do not.
Yes, we have a very limited set of pictures and some snippets of video...I haven't seen any extended amounts that represent the whole time they were corralling the migrants from horseback, have you?

So, before we say people are lying, let's admit we really don't know. Indeed, can't know.

That said, I do agree that what we see on tape could be explained by general corralling technique, not actually striking anyone...same with cattle, you don't need to hit them to move them; btw, the horse movement is primarily through legs, not whistling rope; there's a certain amount of the Fox guy that was actually true, but also a heavy load of BS...it's intimidating for sure...and there's also pictures of migrants being grabbed and thrown....the guy on Fox wasn't there, so he too really doesn't know how far it went.

I'm generally sympathetic with the agents, but yes, it absolutely was a very bad look, white men on horseback intimidating and corralling black people. Yup, can't ignore the bad imagery.

But no, this humanitarian crisis was being heavily reported and reacted to on mainstream media, including with politicians, prior to the horseback fiasco. But you're right, the horseback stuff got a whole lot of attention.

and no, you don't know, and I don't know what the precipitating element was of this movement other than giving up on Haiti. This notion that there's been some sea change in border access policy that suddenly made it make sense to rush the border just doesn't hold up...how come others aren't rushing...yes, there's been more overall, a serious issue, but it's total BS that there are open borders. Just not buying it.

It's the extreme partisan BS that makes you not credible, Salty.
We get it, seen it from you over and over again.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Not sure why anyone would possibly over react.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:47 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:14 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:45 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:30 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:23 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:18 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am
Kismet wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:44 am We were told Psaki, Harris and Biden do not lie...certainly embarrassing what they are doing to CBP law enforcement and just out right lying, perpetuating hate, with vidoe evidence to prove it. Even the person the took the photographs of the mounted CBP officer acknowledge it was not as our POTUS claims.

It's clear as day to me, that the past three administrations (at a minimum), are intentionally tearing us all apart at the seems. Far too many instances of clear and outright ignorance, downright lying, and intentional divisiveness. I suppose the 'spice' in reference to the Dune discussion yesterday, seems to truly be power, via bullying and provoking, through sadistic behavior from those in the elite gov't club.

Maybe the fresh cup of coffee and brisk 52 deg. OA this morning, has provided a somber reality of something latent going on that has not yet been revealed, to us all. I'll stop there, otherwise I could start writing as Frank Herbert has. :lol:
For not going down that rabbithole.....welcome to it..... :oops: :oops: ;) ;) ;)

The idea that politicians just starting spinning facts to gain advantage and ignoring truth starting in 2008 is ludicrous. Perhaps a shot of spice in that cup of joe. :lol: :lol:

Anybody who thinks the current crowd is to be believed 100% of the time should have their spice ration reduced. :lol:

I'd still like to know how and why most of those Haitians decided to go to the border now after being in South America for YEARS.
The difference, is I didn't drag anyone down there with me, just commentary, no leading questions. You should try it. ;)

Again, there was no need to go back 20 plus years. I suppose, in the era of internet content, our leadership hasnt caught on that their BS is much easier to figure out....their argument that we can vote for change, is really just the equivalent of wearing underwear inside out. :lol:

That's easy....b/c they were all invited.
Sure, make yourself feel better any way possible even at the bottom of said rabbithole you said you weren't in. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindly cite a credible source for the invitation to all these folks - must have been quite specific as the only migrant respondees appear to be Haitian refugees mostly from Brazil and Chile....did all the other migrants not get the same memo/invitation :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
The invitation was the fact that the doors are now open. There is a new sheriff in town, with a limp and wet handshake, who cares less about the border. Much like house parties in HS....the parents are away, let's roll fellas.
So I'm clear - only Haitians in Brazil and Chile got this overt message and all showed up in the same place on the border in a location that migrants have never shown up in numbers before?

Maaan, better check that cup of Joe you had again...perhaps a touch of melange spice in there and working well for you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
.....and like clockwork, here come all the questions that you already know we both have the answers: you damned well know why.
Do you imagine that's a responsive answer to Kismet's last question?
I don't.

You do understand that he punched a whole in your limp wrist theory logic the size of a freight train?

Gotta be a better answer.
:lol: :lol: I see you and TLD....I mean Kismet, are still dating. ;)

Yea. my theory is wrong, not only has Haiti been run down since 2010 when they primarily fled, then work dried up where the fled to, did they realize......hey the American border is wide the F open with Biden, now is our chance, lets roll. And to be clear....Kismet was wrong, they are not all Haitians..but you and he also knew that. Wonder why you didn't call him out on it.
I don’t know how my name came up but you sound as stupid and uninformed as ever:

Run down since 2010: https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2 ... -back/amp/

Post 2010:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_debt_of_Haiti
:roll: There you go, again, like clockwork, pivoting the subject. No one mentioned anything requiring your links. You can be exhausting...but love the hustle.

Heading to a wedding....going dark for awhile. Enjoy your Saturday
Hope the wedding goes great: super weather!

But yeah, it was you who mentioned TLD.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 pm Image

Can't imagine why anyone would be sensitive to this...so PC...
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 pm Image

Can't imagine why anyone would be sensitive to this...so PC...
CNN/MSNBC making a big deal out of nothing…..you would think they have never seen a man canter a horse.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:20 pm Meet the old boss, the same as the new boss….same as every other boss…

No way, man! If you vote for a Republican President next time? That one will, like, TOTALLY fix the immigration system.

You just need to vote Republican. Wake up, TLD.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:20 pm Meet the old boss, the same as the new boss….same as every other boss…

No way, man! If you vote for a Republican President next time? That one will, like, TOTALLY fix the immigration system.

Trump had it fixed. Biden undid it. Can’t you tell?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:54 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:09 pm :lol: ...now MDLF76 is spinning that we may have missed the phantom whipping of Haitian migrants, even though they were not captured on video.

The entire flap was based on the video images, which were willfully misinterpreted & misrepresented.

No Dems were concerned about the debacle in Del Rio until they generated a way to play the race card.

Meanwhile, Kismet can't grasp the concept that the Haitian diaspora in S America is capitalizing on the humanitarian situation in Haiti due to the earthquake there, to choose this opportunity to exploit Biden's open border non-enforcement policy. They picked a weak spot in our border defense to exploit. The next surge may target McAllen. The smugglers have a stretegy, we do not.
Yes, we have a very limited set of pictures and some snippets of video...I haven't seen any extended amounts that represent the whole time they were corralling the migrants from horseback, have you?

So, before we say people are lying, let's admit we really don't know. Indeed, can't know.

That said, I do agree that what we see on tape could be explained by general corralling technique, not actually striking anyone...same with cattle, you don't need to hit them to move them; btw, the horse movement is primarily through legs, not whistling rope; there's a certain amount of the Fox guy that was actually true, but also a heavy load of BS...it's intimidating for sure...and there's also pictures of migrants being grabbed and thrown....the guy on Fox wasn't there, so he too really doesn't know how far it went.

I'm generally sympathetic with the agents, but yes, it absolutely was a very bad look, white men on horseback intimidating and corralling black people. Yup, can't ignore the bad imagery.

But no, this humanitarian crisis was being heavily reported and reacted to on mainstream media, including with politicians, prior to the horseback fiasco. But you're right, the horseback stuff got a whole lot of attention.

and no, you don't know, and I don't know what the precipitating element was of this movement other than giving up on Haiti. This notion that there's been some sea change in border access policy that suddenly made it make sense to rush the border just doesn't hold up...how come others aren't rushing...yes, there's been more overall, a serious issue, but it's total BS that there are open borders. Just not buying it.

Has anyone on the scene reported that they saw a CBP horseman strike a migrant with a rein ?
Any photo or video evidence ? The photog said he never saw that.
What's Biden's basis for saying they were "strapped".

Do you think the CBP horsemen were acting on their own ? Who do they work for ?
Are mounted police supposed to be used for crowd control only when containing white people,
or should just black or brown horsemen be used, depending on the color of who is being contained ?

Biden has lost control of our southern border. He's making a pretense of enforcing our immigration laws.
It's only this uproar from his black supporters that's forcing him to confront the humanitarian disaster he has enabled.
It's your extreme partisan reflexive spin, in the face of facts, that makes you not credible.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:35 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:30 pm

Trump had it fixed. Biden undid it. Can’t you tell?
Blaming a lack of comprehensive immigration reform is an excuse for doing nothing to enforce existing laws.

If Biden's supporters don't like his using CBP horsemen & deportation flights as a deterrent, wait till they see his plan for Gitmo.
https://thehill.com/policy/national-sec ... tanamo-bay
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:19 pm Blaming a lack of comprehensive immigration reform is an excuse for doing nothing to enforce existing laws.
Biden, like Trump, is exercising executive discretion to do whatever he likes. It's your OPINION that he's not enforcing existing laws.

Seeing as how we had, oh, 10-12 million people living in America illegally under Trump, you're going to have a hard time selling me on the idea that Trump was enforcing the laws on the books, either.

Which is why we needed Trump to do what he promised, and actually fix the problem.

And nope, I don't think that Biden will lift a finger to fix it, either. And no, I'm not happy that it's a mess down there. And I'm LIVID that Biden is not vaccinating anyone and everyone who comes anywhere NEAR our border.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 am
old salt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:19 pm Blaming a lack of comprehensive immigration reform is an excuse for doing nothing to enforce existing laws.
Biden, like Trump, is exercising executive discretion to do whatever he likes. It's your OPINION that he's not enforcing existing laws.

Seeing as how we had, oh, 10-12 million people living in America illegally under Trump, you're going to have a hard time selling me on the idea that Trump was enforcing the laws on the books, either.

Which is why we needed Trump to do what he promised, and actually fix the problem.

And nope, I don't think that Biden will lift a finger to fix it, either. And no, I'm not happy that it's a mess down there. And I'm LIVID that Biden is not vaccinating anyone and everyone who comes anywhere NEAR our border.
You are making the perfect the enemy of the good (again).
Trump was doing everything in his power to staunch the flow. Look at what the courts blocked him from doing.
Trump was effective in deterring the surges & stopping the caravans. He coerced Mexico & the Northern Triangle countries into cooperating.
Look at the increase in numbers since he left office. Stay in Mexico ended. https://www.rollcall.com/2021/08/25/bid ... in-mexico/

No President can do it alone. It requires Congressional action. Biden rescinded Trump's Exec Orders.
It would not be that hard for Congress to close the loopholes enabling the asylum process to be abused & to end catch & release.
It does not require comp reform to do just that much. It would solve most of the problem.
The Dems don't want to stop the asylum scam. It's their mechanism for open borders.
Their plan is succeeding under Biden. They are looking the other way, except when they have the opportunity to play the race card.
https://apnews.com/article/immigration- ... 9594df3ec6
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... u-n1279683

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigr ... n-n1279548
Mayorkas blamed the sudden influx on misinformation about the Biden administration’s policy of Temporary Protective Status that allowed Haitians already in the U.S. prior to July 29 to stay for a temporary but undefined period of time. He said many falsely believed if they arrived now, they would also be allowed to stay.

Mayorkas said DHS is “very concerned” that Haitians “are receiving false information that the border is open or Temporary Protective Status is available,” Mayorkas said.
"I want to make sure that it is known that this is not the way to come to the United States," he said. "That is false information."

Many of the newly arrived migrants have not seen Haiti since they fled to Latin American countries after the 2010 earthquake or other natural or political crises.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why are folks arguing over who’s to blame on this one. The republicans use this as part of “being tough” and Democrats don’t really care that much as a group it’s down the list. I think we should have pretty open borders, we can’t de-risk citizens from everything, if we had not gone to a twenty year war over 9/11 perhaps citizens, and their political proxies. would’ve been forced to focus on the underlying issues themselves and held their agents (politicians accountable). We lost a lot more over the war than we did from 9/11 in bodies or dough. No cost benefit analysis, by us or our politicians, once again. And all this back and forth is just passing the buck. I just look at the last 5-6 posts on this and see people who want to blame but nobody doing anything.

We should either open it up a lot more, anyone who responds “sure, let everyone in and then watch all the crime” can just go get on their knees and wrap their lips around a hole cut out of a wall where I’ll be pressed up against the other side standing. Conversely folks that want to argue some extreme on the other side can admit it’s priority #27 for most of them and that they check their human rights morality at the made up institutional concept of a border and eat a pie made up of the same stuff they burn in India to keep warm at nights.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

The standard partisan BS you usually propagate here. Surprised it took you so long to weigh in. Your partisan bias is so great that you often feel the need to defend the former DOPUS ad nauseum (and sure you didn't vote for him). If your premise was true why wouldn't we see recent increased migration from ALL countries all along the border and not just Haitian diaspora in Del Rio. Another detail you missed is that if these Haitians are classified as refugees in a third country in South America they don't qualify for an asylum claim here as they already have that in said third country. May explain why so many are being immediately deported back to Haiti. So far, the statistics I've seen are 8,000 were returned to Mexico, 2,500 were deported to Haiti and 8,000 (mostly families with relatives already here) were admitted with a hearing for asylum to be scheduled.

Opining that Congress should do something is also hilarious. They have not done squat regardless of which party is in the majority over multiple election cycles. PUHLEEZE! It's so much more common for you to blame Biden (as you did Obama) and give DOPUS a pass even though all of the tough guy immigration policies he implemented failed to address the basic problems at the border.

In case, you haven't noticed there is currently a labor shortage at the low end which is impeding economic recovery. Citizen birthrates are down and the pandemic exacerbates it all. Check out how this country historically used immigration to fuel economic growth even as all of the Nativists howled. Ironic how many of those immigrants then and their offspring are now the modern nativists hypocritically doing all those things that their parents and grandparents had to endure when they arrived.
Last edited by Kismet on Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You forget OS in expert on everything.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Kismet wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:33 am In case, you haven't noticed there is currently a labor shortage at the low end which is impeding economic recovery. Citizen birthrates are down and the pandemic exacerbates it all. Check out how this country historically used immigration to fuel economic growth even as all of the Nativists howled. Ironic how many of those immigrants then and their offspring are now the modern nativists hypocritically doing all those things that their parents and grandparents had to endure when they arrived.
The argument that we use immigration for pop growth is perplexing, considering our growth has been on a steep upward trajectory. We've doubled in size since 1950. I think that gate needs to be metered a bit closer. Then you have those saying globally, we are over populated and can not sustain this growth....in walks Bill Gates, with his pimp hat like Dr. Evil. :lol:

If you rally want to get down to it, this is opportunity to roll out AI and big enmass, which is why we such supply chain issues, globally, on damned near all things...except those that are made by machine.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:54 pm

Has anyone on the scene reported that they saw a CBP horseman strike a migrant with a rein ?
Any photo or video evidence ? The photog said he never saw that.
What's Biden's basis for saying they were "strapped".

Do you think the CBP horsemen were acting on their own ? Who do they work for ?
Are mounted police supposed to be used for crowd control only when containing white people,
or should just black or brown horsemen be used, depending on the color of who is being contained ?

Biden has lost control of our southern border. He's making a pretense of enforcing our immigration laws.
It's only this uproar from his black supporters that's forcing him to confront the humanitarian disaster he has enabled.
It's your extreme partisan reflexive spin, in the face of facts, that makes you not credible.
Ahhh, you forget, I'm not at all partisan, much to the chagrin of my fellow Republicans on here.

I haven't seen anyone actually hit by the reins, but just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen at all...we simply don't know. You don't and I don't. If Biden, too, doesn't have clear info on that, then he shouldn't claim it happened...but the point is not whether or how many times people were struck that way, the intimidation was very real. If I had been a migrant from that perspective, I certainly would have perceived that threat...and we do see the horsemen grabbing and throwing migrants from horseback, so we know it was physical.

I didn't see any horsemen ride into the Jan 6 mob to force them back...did you?
Nope, just seeing it with black migrants...and the imagery is really, really bad.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:52 am
Kismet wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:33 am In case, you haven't noticed there is currently a labor shortage at the low end which is impeding economic recovery. Citizen birthrates are down and the pandemic exacerbates it all. Check out how this country historically used immigration to fuel economic growth even as all of the Nativists howled. Ironic how many of those immigrants then and their offspring are now the modern nativists hypocritically doing all those things that their parents and grandparents had to endure when they arrived.
The argument that we use immigration for pop growth is perplexing, considering our growth has been on a steep upward trajectory. We've doubled in size since 1950. I think that gate needs to be metered a bit closer. Then you have those saying globally, we are over populated and can not sustain this growth....in walks Bill Gates, with his pimp hat like Dr. Evil. :lol:

If you rally want to get down to it, this is opportunity to roll out AI and big enmass, which is why we such supply chain issues, globally, on damned near all things...except those that are made by machine.
"metered"...our annual population growth now is less than half that of many of those 70 years, down roughly 40% from the '90's and '2000's.

And indeed, the US birth rate has dropped to about 12 per 1,000 people, from over 15 in the 80's and over 20 in the 50's and 60's....and note that the sector with the highest birth rates in America are recent immigrants, whether legal or illegal.

And no, the US, unlike much of the world, can indeed absorb more population. There are indeed massive population density versus economic capacity, environmental capacity in many places in the world, but not here. Which is obviously why we see the pressure to get here.

But you are among a long list of those who have opposed immigration over the past 200 years. Each era has had its anti-immigration proponents who wanted "metering"...meaning zero other than from their own ancestral regions. Some made those arguments politely, intellectually, others were ugly and violent.

United States - Historical Population Growth Rate Data
Year Population Growth Rate Growth Rate
2021 332,915,073 0.58%
2020 331,002,651 0.59%
2019 329,064,917 0.60%
2018 327,096,265 0.62%
2017 325,084,756 0.64%
2016 323,015,995 0.67%
2015 320,878,310 0.69%
2014 318,673,411 0.72%
2013 316,400,538 0.75%
2012 314,043,885 0.79%
2011 311,584,047 0.83%
2010 309,011,475 0.88%
2009 306,307,567 0.93%
2008 303,486,012 0.96%
2007 300,608,429 0.96%
2006 297,758,969 0.94%
2005 294,993,511 0.90%
2004 292,354,658 0.88%
2003 289,815,562 0.88%
2002 287,279,318 0.94%
2001 284,607,993 1.03%
2000 281,710,909 1.14%
1999 278,548,150 1.23%
1998 275,175,301 1.27%
1997 271,713,635 1.26%
1996 268,335,003 1.20%
1995 265,163,745 1.11%
1994 262,241,196 1.04%
1993 259,532,129 0.99%
1992 256,990,613 0.96%
1991 254,539,370 0.96%
1990 252,120,309 0.96%
1989 249,725,805 0.95%
1988 247,372,264 0.95%
1987 245,052,789 0.94%
1986 242,763,148 0.94%
1985 240,499,825 0.94%
1984 238,256,844 0.94%
1983 236,030,238 0.94%
1982 233,821,844 0.94%
1981 231,636,058 0.94%
1980 229,476,354 0.94%
1979 227,339,318 0.94%
1978 225,223,303 0.94%
1977 223,135,663 0.93%
1976 221,086,429 0.92%
1975 219,081,251 0.91%
1974 217,114,909 0.90%
1973 215,178,797 0.90%
1972 213,269,802 0.89%
1971 211,384,068 0.89%
1970 209,513,341 0.89%
1969 207,659,263 0.90%
1968 205,805,754 0.93%
1967 203,905,080 1.00%
1966 201,895,760 1.08%
1965 199,733,676 1.18%
1964 197,408,505 1.27%
1963 194,932,403 1.36%
1962 192,313,746 1.45%
1961 189,569,843 1.53%
1960 186,720,571 1.60%
1959 183,786,252 1.66%
1958 180,788,392 1.71%
1957 177,751,483 1.74%
1956 174,705,003 1.76%
1955 171,685,336 1.75%
1954 168,736,387 1.70%
1953 165,910,003 1.62%
1952 163,266,028 1.49%
1951 160,872,266 1.30%
1950 158,804,395
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:52 am

Don't take my word for it - read from what the Census Bureau has said
https://www.census.gov/library/stories/ ... -2010.html

"The total population of the United States on April 1, 2020, was 331.4 million, an increase of 22.7 million from 2010.
Last decade’s 7.4% increase was lower than the previous decade’s 9.7% increase and was, in fact, the lowest since the 1930s (Figure 4)."

Take this and then read into that incredible statistic from Alabama where deaths outpaced births in 2020 for the first time since they began keeping records. Also note that they are on track to repeat this again in 2021.

Then there's this
https://www.census.gov/library/stories/ ... -2020.html

Population Under Age 18 Declined Last Decade
"The nation’s adult population increased faster than the under-age-18 population and the U.S. population as a whole in the last decade, according to the first detailed 2020 Census data released today."

If you want to sustain economic growth, you are not going to do it with a declining birth rate and higher pandemic death rates for very long....unless you want to outsource more imported goods and the current pandemic affected supply chain issues appear daunting.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MD - yes metered, as in controlled by the current laws on the books, as simple as that. And, as afan noted....neither side seems to 'truly' care about it. Which leaves one to question why? Thanks for providing validity to the stat I had already provided, we have doubled in population since 1950. So we use the border much like a metered front door at a night club....so many in, then control the inflow, vs those leaving.

There are plenty who believe the US is already over populated AND arguably the leading reason for Climate Change..right? So we are intentionally making it worse?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:33 am

Ahhh, but "Trump was doing everything in his power"...such BS.
He had all levers for the first 2 years and didn't even propose any actual solutions, just hyperbole and executive actions to look "tough".
Less "power" in the second two years, but used the difficulties merely as a hyperbolic political dividing point.

Where I think the critique of Biden is at least reasonable is that I very much doubt border security and immigration reform have been anywhere close to the top of his list on which to expend political capital.

But if I'd been one of his strategic advisors I probably would have told him to keep his focus on 1) pandemic response 2) infrastructure, both hard and "Build Back Better", and 3) voting protection reforms. Get those done or mostly done in year one, get the economy humming and more confident, then turn to immigration reform, police reform, etc. Might not do immigration reform until post 2022, under assumption that accomplishing those first priorities would buoy Biden's position of influence in the next Congress...obviously it could go the other way.

As a result, the Biden admin has largely left the fundamental policies of the Trump admin in place, keeping people south of the border, shipping people back, still very difficult asylum rules, etc. What they've done is more signaling than material, removing (somewhat) the sense of brutality by immigration agents and the process at the border. Not really material, just as Trump's "tough" messaging was never very material. Neither being an actual solution.

But different tonally.

The concept of focusing more efforts at development and support south of the border, VP Harris, etc, is right, but takes a long time to have significant impact, and doesn't account, really, for earthquakes, assignations, etc.

Return to “POLITICS”