All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

wgdsr

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:15 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:07 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:45 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:36 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/23/covid-b ... lions.html

lol. tag team white house/cdc vs. fda/who. who ya got?

cluster.
I got scientific consensus! Oh wait……..a schzit
on the bright side, this clears the way for a "booster" from jnj.
never really was clear to me why they didn't run trials in 2020 for a double also. hope they got some 409 for their production outsourcing.

will take a few hours at my neighborhood starbucks to study up and bounce some ideas around when the word comes down.
You should…..Those folks knowledge and experience is just as good.
and here i thought the price of a large joe was starting to get out of hand.
#priceless
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:36 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/23/covid-b ... lions.html

cluster.
never really was clear to me why they didn't run trials in 2020 for a double also. hope they got some 409 for their production outsourcing.

will take a few hours at my neighborhood starbucks to study up and bounce some ideas around when the word comes down.
#priceless
That’s why I hit Jimmy’s spot. I read it on the internet that Baristas at Starbucks know just as much as a virologist and immunologist because of the internet. Good for all of us.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cluster.
Chocolate chocolate and SPRINKLES!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vDAg3VkZPg8
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 amI mean, seriously, you're going to cite a right-wing, pro-life, downright whack job screed as evidence that Wen's not credible?
When it quacks like a quack, it's a quack?

Dis,

:roll: :roll: :roll: You believe your turd doesn't stink so bad, all you smell is roses. Sad..

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

cluster.
:lol: :lol: You would think! Does anybody REALLY think Walensky made that call on her OWN?? That there was not heavy pressure to overrule the advisory panel, from those "above her". And people wonder why nobody trusts the CDC. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Joe
Last edited by JoeMauer89 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:19 pm

cluster.

#priceless
That’s why I hit Jimmy’s spot. I read it on the internet that Baristas at Starbucks know just as much as a virologist and immunologist because of the internet. Good for all of us.
I got Joe. Because I crush a lot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xue-dOOLiY
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:59 amI mean, seriously, you're going to cite a right-wing, pro-life, downright whack job screed as evidence that Wen's not credible?

Dis,

:roll: :roll: :roll: You believe your turd doesn't stink so bad, all you smell is roses. Sad..

Joe
You seem awful angry lately Joe...after years of mostly lurking in the shadows of LP/FL...maybe you're reading yourself a little too much CradleSpeak?

Have a good stiff drink and a nice weekend...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:11 pm

cluster.
It's the safest choice, politically and medically. Probably overkill, not the best science. I would be more upset if it was underkill and not the best science. Interesting that Biden and Walensky give more weight to Israel's experience than do WHO, FDA and CDC scientists.
Why do Biden and Walensky's opinions get more weight than 3 MAJOR Healthcare regulatory organizations whose purpose is to advise the American Public in the best interest of their health? Don't you think if it was in the best interest of the American Public's health to vote for advising Booster Shots to At-Risk Workers, the advisory panel would have voted "yes"? It's amazing the mental gymnastics you conduct to come to your conclusion. :roll: :roll:

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:19 pm

Dis,

Joe
You seem awful angry lately Joe...after years of mostly lurking in the shadows of LP/FL...maybe you're reading yourself a little too much CradleSpeak?

Dis,

This a anonymous online forum, you don't know me from tom, dick or harry. I'm not angry, I'm just pushing back to try to understand how someone could think they way that you and MD do. Leana Wen as the voice of reason? That's comical. This women would have everybody welded in their houses for months on end if it were her call. She's a neurotics myopic control freak with an agenda that does more to sow fear into the American public to outweigh any positive benefit she has. She would have been on Biden's official team if this wasn't the case, but even they can see it. CNN will continue to give her an outlet, and that's just fine. If you listen to the way she's been talking lately she's basically intimating that children going to school is a PRIVILEGE. That's the biggest load of crap and quite dangerous rhetoric, getting an education is a right in this country. She's off her rocker, more and more lately. It's ok, why in the god's blue earth would I expect you and MD to agree with Me? Hell will freeze over first. :roll:

Joe
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Have you asked yourself what Leana Wen's motivations are, Joe?

If not, go ahead and blow chunks about your OPINION of her motivations, what a numbskull she is, and about the reasons she does what she does.

Many on the forum here will nod and blink about how "right" you sound.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Dis,

Joe

Dis,

This a anonymous online forum, you don't know me from tom, dick or harry. I'm not angry, I'm just pushing back to try to understand how someone could think they way that you and MD do. Leana Wen as the voice of reason? That's comical. This women would have everybody welded in their houses for months on end if it were her call. She's a neurotics myopic control freak with an agenda that does more to sow fear into the American public to outweigh any positive benefit she has. She would have been on Biden's official team if this wasn't the case, but even they can see it. CNN will continue to give her an outlet, and that's just fine. If you listen to the way she's been talking lately she's basically intimating that children going to school is a PRIVILEGE. That's the biggest load of crap and quite dangerous rhetoric, getting an education is a right in this country. She's off her rocker, more and more lately. It's ok, why in the god's blue earth would I expect you and MD to agree with Me? Hell will freeze over first. :roll:

Joe
Well, though just another rant against mitigation of spread efforts, which is par for the course for you, there's an interesting tidbit to explore in there.

So...education is a "right"?

That's interesting. What constitutes "education"? Studies indicate that pre-school has the biggest impact on life outcomes, but is that a "right" in America? Or is that a "privilege" to those who can afford to pay? Is college a "right" in America? or are we just talking about elementary and high school?

I'm not arguing, just wondering what sort of education do you mean?

Is home schooling a "right"? Or simply a "privilege"?

Is remote education insufficient to achieve this "right"? always? sometimes?
But if so, wouldn't we also say that the disparity in how education is delivered in some communities is also insufficient?
What are the implications of agreeing that clearly the rights of some are not being met by our society?

After you respond to the above, let's put aide that thorny stuff ...however, first, to be clear, I actually do agree that education is, or at least should be, an expected public 'right'...not as in Constitutional, but as in a practical, legislated sense. But it's indeed also a "privilege"...these need not be incompatible concepts. It's an opportunity to advance oneself socioeconomically, a privilege of being a member of this society. It's also, IMO, an economic as well as moral imperative that we do the best we can to deliver the best such opportunity to all, not just some of our human potential. Great ROI.

ok, to the point...we actually require kids to get an education, attendance at some form of education is actually mandated. We allow different formats, but you gotta do one. That said, there are those who bail out (all too often due to trauma or learning disability issues) but at least in principle its mandatory.

And we mandate that in order to attend an in-person situation certain public health and other behaviors must be followed. For instance, we don't allow guns in schools (though this actually is, arguably, in the Constitution as a 'right'...but even Constitutionally based 'rights' are not absolute). We also require kids to have an array of vaccinations, age dependent. None of these violate the "right" or "privilege" to an education. But we don't allow kids to come to school if they violate.

Indeed, there are all sorts of rules that constrict what kids can and can't do at school, none of which actually restrict the rights or privileges to go to school. You just gotta comply.

so, now we get to masks...pain in the neck to wear, but in a respiratory pandemic the reduction in transmission makes it possible for kids to be in-person more of the time. A good thing. The alternative is they have to get their "right" to an education...remotely.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d_nn_tw_ma

"A daily pill to treat Covid could be just months away, scientists say. At least three promising antivirals that could prevent symptoms and limit transmission of Covid-19 are in clinical trials."

Something akin to Tamiflu for influenza.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:36 pm Have you asked yourself what Leana Wen's motivations are, Joe?

If not, go ahead and blow chunks about your OPINION of her motivations, what a numbskull she is, and about the reasons she does what she does.

Many on the forum here will nod and blink about how "right" you sound.

Joe says:

This a anonymous online forum, you don't know me from tom, dick or harry. I'm not angry, I'm just pushing back to try to understand how someone could think they way that you and MD do.

Have you had Joe ask you in any questions about why you have your views?
Indeed, express any interest at all at better understanding?

Joe, IMO that's why you come across as "angry"...there's no expressed interest in learning a darn thing from someone else, just what comes across as a rant. Happens to come across as right-wing rant, but that's not the point.

Fine to debate, disagree, explain etc...but if it seems like you just want to vent, yes, angrily, that's not productive at all.
And I'm back to suggesting you stick to the lax forums where you come across much more constructively.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 pm

Dis,

Joe

Dis,

Joe
Well, though just another rant against mitigation of spread efforts, which is par for the course for you, there's an interesting tidbit to explore in there.

That's interesting. What constitutes "education"? Studies indicate that pre-school has the biggest impact on life outcomes, but is that a "right" in America? Or is that a "privilege" to those who can afford to pay? Is college a "right" in America? or are we just talking about elementary and high school?

But if so, wouldn't we also say that the disparity in how education is delivered in some communities is also insufficient?
What are the implications of agreeing that clearly the rights of some are not being met by our society?

After you respond to the above, let's put aide that thorny stuff ...however, first, to be clear, I actually do agree that education is, or at least should be, an expected public 'right'...not as in Constitutional, but as in a practical, legislated sense. But it's indeed also a "privilege"...these need not be incompatible concepts. It's an opportunity to advance oneself socioeconomically, a privilege of being a member of this society. It's also, IMO, an economic as well as moral imperative that we do the best we can to deliver the best such opportunity to all, not just some of our human potential. Great ROI.

ok, to the point...we actually require kids to get an education, attendance at some form of education is actually mandated. We allow different formats, but you gotta do one. That said, there are those who bail out (all too often due to trauma or learning disability issues) but at least in principle its mandatory.

And we mandate that in order to attend an in-person situation certain public health and other behaviors must be followed. For instance, we don't allow guns in schools (though this actually is, arguably, in the Constitution as a 'right'...but even Constitutionally based 'rights' are not absolute). We also require kids to have an array of vaccinations, age dependent. None of these violate the "right" or "privilege" to an education. But we don't allow kids to come to school if they violate.

Indeed, there are all sorts of rules that constrict what kids can and can't do at school, none of which actually restrict the rights or privileges to go to school. You just gotta comply.

so, now we get to masks...pain in the neck to wear, but in a respiratory pandemic the reduction in transmission makes it possible for kids to be in-person more of the time. A good thing. The alternative is they have to get their "right" to an education...remotely.
You are a fool if you think remote learning has worked out... Keep living in fantasy land, world according to Chuck! If you don't realize the MASSIVE deleterious effects that in some cases 12+ months of remote learning have done to our children, all you have to do is listen from a first hand perspective from FFG. I see it and hear about it daily from those in my circle, NOBODY likes it, NOBODY. Your son is a grown adult now, you would have a different perspective if he was sitting in his room every day and going through Remote learning. God you are insufferable, but you know what it's more the nature of this forum that enables you to have such stances. You say any of this stuff to the majority of Americans in an in-person conversation, they either are going to walk away from you, provided heated opposition, some combination of both and in extreme cases, react very negatively (I don't have to fill in the blanks). I live on LI in a town that is a diverse mix of political ideals/nationalities, discourse, etc. You say what you just said at the local restaurants and pubs and I promise you, promise you that you will be met some by combination of dismissal, pushback, and possibly even worse. There's no way you do this in person, because it wouldn't end good. You realize how f**king pedantic and holier than thou you come off a majority of the time? The fact you can't even see it is really sad. Go get that DinnerTime deal done in Vegas, pulling for you!

Joe
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d_nn_tw_ma

"A daily pill to treat Covid could be just months away, scientists say. At least three promising antivirals that could prevent symptoms and limit transmission of Covid-19 are in clinical trials."

Excellent news. The Ivermectin boys should be all over this.
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 pm

cluster.
It's the safest choice, politically and medically. Probably overkill, not the best science. I would be more upset if it was underkill and not the best science. Interesting that Biden and Walensky give more weight to Israel's experience than do WHO, FDA and CDC scientists.
Why do Biden and Walensky's opinions get more weight than 3 MAJOR Healthcare regulatory organizations whose purpose is to advise the American Public in the best interest of their health? Don't you think if it was in the best interest of the American Public's health to vote for advising Booster Shots to At-Risk Workers, the advisory panel would have voted "yes"? It's amazing the mental gymnastics you conduct to come to your conclusion. :roll: :roll:

Joe
I said medically and politically the safest choice. The safest choice for those with the responsibility! There are no mental gymnastics involved. Their opinions get more weight because they have the responsibility!! I might not agree with their position on the science, but if they are erroring, it is on the side least likely to have it come back on them or their constituents. If you don't understand this, I can't help you. :roll:
Last edited by jhu72 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Dis,

Joe

Dis,

Joe

You are a fool if you think remote learning has worked out... Keep living in fantasy land, world according to Chuck! If you don't realize the MASSIVE deleterious effects that in some cases 12+ months of remote learning have done to our children, all you have to do is listen from a first hand perspective from FFG. I see it and hear about it daily from those in my circle, NOBODY likes it, NOBODY. Your son is a grown adult now, you would have a different perspective if he was sitting in his room every day and going through Remote learning. God you are insufferable, but you know what it's more the nature of this forum that enables you to have such stances. You say any of this stuff to the majority of Americans in an in-person conversation, they either are going to walk away from you, provided heated opposition, some combination of both and in extreme cases, react very negatively (I don't have to fill in the blanks). I live on LI in a town that is a diverse mix of political ideals/nationalities, discourse, etc. You say what you just said at the local restaurants and pubs and I promise you, promise you that you will be met some by combination of dismissal, pushback, and possibly even worse. There's no way you do this in person, because it wouldn't end good. You realize how f**king pedantic and holier than thou you come off a majority of the time? The fact you can't even see it is really sad. Go get that DinnerTime deal done in Vegas, pulling for you!

Joe
Again, very, very creepy and definitely another personal attack.

Putting that aside, you obviously didn't see that I agree that remote learning is not at a state that meets the needs of educating most kids. In fact, I'm always very clear about that. and it's why getting them back in the classroom, safely, should be all of our priority.

Why you'd choose to read something else into it I don't know, but it seems "angry" fever swamp stuff to me.

And sure, there's nothing I write on here that I wouldn't say to someone in a bar, wherever...in fact, just this past Tuesday I did so with some guys from Texas in the steel fastener equipment business serving oil rigs sitting next to me and my wife at dinner in an Irish Pub, good music too. Great conversation, good guys, no sweat.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 pm https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... d_nn_tw_ma

Excellent news. The Ivermectin boys should be all over this.
... noted that this morning when I saw the story.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:03 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 pm

cluster.

Joe
I said medically and politically the safest choice. The safest choice for those with the responsibility! There is no mental gymnastics involved. Their opinions get more weight because they have the responsibility!! I might not agree with their position on the science, but if they are erroring, it is on the side least likely to have it come back on them or their constituents. If you don't understand this, I can't help you. :roll:
Risk and benefit transference. Took me a while in my work when id know
I was technically to theoretically correct but it wasn’t my seat to play the odds with it was mine to push them over the line because it’s not about the likely or a average, it’s about “if the bullets are flying form this decision to I get shot, can I survive (which can be a function of placing blame or if i take my organization down with me and blow up in the process”.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:06 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:31 pm

Dis,

Joe

Dis,

Joe

Joe
Again, very, very creepy and definitely another personal attack.

Putting that aside, you obviously didn't see that I agree that remote learning is not at a state that meets the needs of educating most kids. In fact, I'm always very clear about that. and it's why getting them back in the classroom, safely, should be all of our priority.

Why you'd choose to read something else into it I don't know, but it seems "angry" fever swamp stuff to me.

And sure, there's nothing I write on here that I wouldn't say to someone in a bar, wherever...in fact, just this past Tuesday I did so with some guys from Texas in the steel fastener equipment business serving oil rigs sitting next to me and my wife at dinner in an Irish Pub, good music too. Great conversation, good guys, no sweat.
I actually like the concept of dinnertime a ton. Don’t know nearly enough about carrying opex, runway to burn, market dynamics etc to opine on its success but the model and focus is exactly what I want startups to be and how to leverage our advancements from technology. Not just another “throw money at it and try to crowd everyone else out like hunger games of business and then hope there’s a profitable thing underneath the rubble when we’re standing all alone”

Return to “POLITICS”