All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm Worth a listen....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Xyi8bd_bs
Yes, be careful youth...it's all just "anecdotal." And people like "tried & true" will just say F em anyway!
I'm at a complete loss as to what she's complaining about here.

Aren't ER's filled with Covid patients? Are they being denied care? What IS happening, is that other people are being denied care in a handful of States.....is she complaining about that? Nope.

As for the judging side? What the F is she talking about? EVERYONE judges heroin addicts and drug addicts. In point of fact, we "judge" them so harshly that we throw them in JAIL for holding or selling drugs.

We literally have a War on Drugs, FFS.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Yes, be careful youth...it's all just "anecdotal." And people like "tried & true" will just say F em anyway!
I'm at a complete loss as to what she's complaining about here.

Aren't ER's filled with Covid patients? Are they being denied care? What IS happening, is that other people are being denied care in a handful of States.....is she complaining about that? Nope.

As for the judging side? What the F is she talking about? EVERYONE judges heroin addicts and drug addicts. In point of fact, we "judge" them so harshly that we throw them in JAIL for holding or selling drugs.
Everyone? When an addict is struggling with DTs or on their death bed? I think you're missing context again...she's a healthcare worker, not a social worker, therapist, or parole officer. I would agree, it may be time for her to find a different line of work. But the pandemic has done that to a lot of people.

We literally have a War on Drugs, FFS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:57 pm Everyone? When an addict is struggling with DTs or on their death bed? I think you're missing context again...she's a healthcare worker, not a social worker, therapist, or parole officer.
Respectfully, she has forgotten the context. We judge the firetruck out of drug addicts in America. Fat people too, for that matter.

She's more than entitled to be frustrated. I don't blame her one single bit on that count.

But that doesn't mean that her logic strings together well.

I file this stuff in the same drawer that I do folks claiming election fraud, but ONLY for the part of the ballot that Trump is on: these people are stirring up forces that they do not understand....in other words, what happens when legislatures start buying what she is selling, and remove all vaccine mandates for K-12?

What do we do as a nation if Polio makes a comeback? Or measles? Or lacrosse players start dropping dead at Homewood because meningitis vaccines are no longer mandatory?

Be careful what you ask for, Ms. Nurse.......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Yep. F’em. Personal responsibility
“I wish you would!”
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Danielle leaves out one very important part of the equation, and one additional point.

Her examples are all personal health related. This is a public health issue.

There may be circumstances where hospitals make decisions based on valid triage reasons, but unvaccinated people people aren’t being left untreated carte blanche.
Not nit picking or looking for a fight....just discussing here. But your second sentence is the crux of the entire issue.....it's the decision of each individual, full stop. And just because it is a "public health issue", does that overrule individual rights and force mandate?
Yes, it does. For the same reason why there are driving age and drinking laws, children need to have certain vaccines before they can go to school, etc. Governments institute rules and laws all the time that protect the public good over individual freedoms.
Last edited by SCLaxAttack on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:42 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:40 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:37 pm

Danielle leaves out one very important part of the equation, and one additional point.

There may be circumstances where hospitals make decisions based on valid triage reasons, but unvaccinated people people aren’t being left untreated carte blanche.
Well not yet perhaps...see rationing of monoclonal antibody infusion.
Which is why I mentioned triage.
Ha! So I haven't heard the Biden admin mention "triage."
You don’t need to hear the word. Every day hospitals that have no remaining available beds, or ICU units with no more room, are deciding who in their emergency rooms gets the next available spot. https://apple.news/AeCqZsp5ETF2bs4BTneQSbA

Some people will say inoculation should be a factor. Candidly I believe that should be a factor over medical severity if two people were to come into a hospital and there was only one available bed.

“The Lord helps those who help themselves” trumps vaccine refusal for religious reasons. Or any other reason for that matter.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Many months later- Pfizer a hammer, but Moderna the sledgehammer against infection.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/moderna-vs-p ... 10753.html
It was a constant refrain from federal health officials after the coronavirus vaccines were authorized: These shots are all equally effective.

That has turned out not to be true.

Roughly 221 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine have been dispensed thus far in the United States, compared with about 150 million doses of Moderna’s vaccine. In a half-dozen studies published over the past few weeks, Moderna’s vaccine appeared to be more protective than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in the months after immunization.

Research published on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the efficacy of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine against hospitalization fell from 91% to 77% after a four-month period following the second shot. The Moderna vaccine showed no decline over the same period.
ie: Boosters for Pfizer users, none for Moderna...
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:11 pm Many months later- Pfizer a hammer, but Moderna the sledgehammer against infection.

It was a constant refrain from federal health officials after the coronavirus vaccines were authorized: These shots are all equally effective.

Roughly 221 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine have been dispensed thus far in the United States, compared with about 150 million doses of Moderna’s vaccine. In a half-dozen studies published over the past few weeks, Moderna’s vaccine appeared to be more protective than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in the months after immunization.

Research published on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that the efficacy of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine against hospitalization fell from 91% to 77% after a four-month period following the second shot. The Moderna vaccine showed no decline over the same period.
First, I’m very happy that I happened to get Moderna over Pfizer or JNJ. In my case it was the luck of the draw. One morning in March at 12:00.01AM I hopped on the Walmart website and got an appointment. When I got there I happened to get Moderna.

My thought back then was that when I got a flu shot I didn’t care who the manufacturer was, nor did I try to find out which flu shot manufacturer provided a more efficacious shot, so why would I do that analysis for Covid. I wanted a shot that would significantly reduce my chances of dying.

If I were looking for my first shot now I’d try to find a Moderna shot, but if one of any of the three US approved vaccines was the only one I could get, I’d still get in line.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Not nit picking or looking for a fight....just discussing here. But your second sentence is the crux of the entire issue.....it's the decision of each individual, full stop. And just because it is a "public health issue", does that overrule individual rights and force mandate?
Yes, it does. For the same reason why there are driving age and drinking laws, children need to have certain vaccines before they can go to school, etc. Governments institute rules and laws all the time that protect the public good over individual freedoms.
Gosh, almost like it’s in the ‘public’ interest. 😉
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:51 pm

Gosh, almost like it’s in the ‘public’ interest. 😉
Unless one does not want the benefits of said society and removes themselves completely or is excluded from said benefits the notion of absolute freedom and any collective unit is absolutely incongruous.

Now I think both sides abuse needs of the collective, “public”, and historically have viewed that as more abused by the left, but both are “equal opportunity offenders” of this.

I don’t see the other side of this addressing directly the argument that there is no, or such an insignificant collective issue, to do: nothing, little, let each persons freak flag fly. I’d be open to a debate as to the level, like any Liberty/freedom equilibrium, but I don’t really see that other than maybe wg who has acknowledged that he can intentionally obfuscate his message and I can’t tell where he stands often but appears to be at least focused on where the line should be. A lot of the rest is just noise, generic emptiness or thematically repetitive arguing.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:36 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:11 pm Many months later- Pfizer a hammer, but Moderna the sledgehammer against infection.

First, I’m very happy that I happened to get Moderna over Pfizer or JNJ. In my case it was the luck of the draw. One morning in March at 12:00.01AM I hopped on the Walmart website and got an appointment. When I got there I happened to get Moderna.

My thought back then was that when I got a flu shot I didn’t care who the manufacturer was, nor did I try to find out which flu shot manufacturer provided a more efficacious shot, so why would I do that analysis for Covid. I wanted a shot that would significantly reduce my chances of dying.

If I were looking for my first shot now I’d try to find a Moderna shot, but if one of any of the three US approved vaccines was the only one I could get, I’d still get in line.
+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:29 pm
tech37 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:57 pm Everyone? When an addict is struggling with DTs or on their death bed? I think you're missing context again...she's a healthcare worker, not a social worker, therapist, or parole officer.
Respectfully, she has forgotten the context. We judge the firetruck out of drug addicts in America. Fat people too, for that matter.

She's more than entitled to be frustrated. I don't blame her one single bit on that count.

But that doesn't mean that her logic strings together well.

I file this stuff in the same drawer that I do folks claiming election fraud, but ONLY for the part of the ballot that Trump is on: these people are stirring up forces that they do not understand....in other words, what happens when legislatures start buying what she is selling, and remove all vaccine mandates for K-12?

What do we do as a nation if Polio makes a comeback? Or measles? Or lacrosse players start dropping dead at Homewood because meningitis vaccines are no longer mandatory?

Be careful what you ask for, Ms. Nurse.......
May as well lean into this.

There’s four models of addiction. One is actually called the moral model. Right now basically the only one utilized and taught is the disease model and that is due to the fact that we don’t cover mental health issues within healthcare and in general and not at all via insurance. Not right but understandable that they can’t models actuarial tables under any, really even the disease model, in order to price premiums and survive/thrive as a industry but shameful as a country we haven’t evolved enough to have something more comprehensive that allows our primary source of healthcare payment to facilities and professionals to deploy a broader treatment regime. I’ve had to learn a lot and do it myself, even at a upper middle end place they resist and fight you asking or attempting to understand your own treatment and give you crap about defining people as clients or customers vs patients. Learned this through outside effort and keep looking for more because AA/NA is a joke and has no competing paradigm for a system that’s 80yrs old (big book was written in 1938) and has a 65-70% failure (relapse) rate. There’s something called smart that’s maybe 25yrs old, but it’s amazing in a word where we get organically evolving solutions to human issues (everything is a marketplace, Socrates spoke of a marketplace of ideas, simply an exchange of perceived value to humans interacting - I urge anyone who bothers to read this to not assume I only think about business because I use a term like marketplace). And the contradiction of slamming people with personal responsibility, claiming it’s out of your control and that addiction is a perpetual state while (quite ponzi like) insisting every relapse is not their fault ever and their failure rate is zero because it’s only when people don’t follow each and every step that a relapse occurs thus a individual failure while never iterating or making any revisions/improvements over 8 decades is absurd and offensive to anyone with a brain. I had to find the one therapist out of 25 who’d tell me off hours about the others and probably leaving that joint soon as she’d make comments like “I can treat people better the way I see fit in private practice” to begin to learn about the different models and paradigms despite spending tens of thousand of dollars and learning a week of detox is billed $88k and if you don’t stay 30 days they release you “AMA”, against medical advice, no matter what you discuss about timing walking through the door and even use that threat with those who need the insurance to pay it all to keep you around. Yet in a month you’ll see a MD initially for 30-45min and then 30-45min a week w a RN who pushes Vivitrol and another supplicant shot (never the daily pill) on everyone and frames not taking the shot as a sure thing relapse so that must be juicy to bill as well.

Anyway, for anyone with a family member or friend who has a problem, shut the f up if you parrot something you read on an AA site or through a channel that derives it from there and learn a little more about this below. And also listen, don’t tell the people you care about is dilutive to their cause I promise. That’s never helpful. Somehow I have ten guys coming to me for help thy I met like I have a clue and or much value and I try but it’s partly because I listen and don’t tell. Use language you’re supposed to use with kids “we”, “I’ve found that this …”, etc.

I present the models of addiction.

What are Some of the Behavioral Models of Addiction?
When it comes to the basic idea of what drives addiction, you have a theory. For instance, some theorize that the primary driving factor behind addiction is avoiding the severe discomfort of withdrawals. Others hypothesize that addiction is a purely medical phenomenon and that the reason some become addicted to a substance while others don’t is a matter of genetics and exposure.
Once a theory has more work behind it and can offer fuller, richer explanations for addictive behavior, it grows into a behavioral models of addiction.

Moral Model
While the moral model of addiction is outdated, many still uphold it and it features in many rehab clinics around America and the world. The basic foundation of this model is that addiction is a matter of moral weakness and that the cure to addiction is responsibility. Of course, no rigorous studies back up this idea and it’s essentially a relic.

Disease Model
Addiction is inarguably a disease, and the disease behavioral model of addiction elevates the elements of addiction that make it such. However, viewing addiction as nothing more than a disease is often problematic for understanding what drives people to addiction and how they can get better.
The only antidote to addiction that the disease model has to offer is abstinence, which doesn’t incorporate many of the effective, therapeutic treatments that are increasingly popular today.

Socio-Cultural Model
The sociocultural model of addiction takes a big-picture approach to the problem of addiction and identifies underlying, systemic causes of addiction. Discrimination, lack of opportunity, poor quality of life, and similar problems that are common in marginalized communities consistently explain the occurrence of drug addiction. Under this model, the idea is to treat addiction by tackling housing and economic inequality.
While further research may indicate that this theory is fundamentally correct, it’s not so applicable to individual rehabilitation.

Psycho-Dynamic Model
The Psycho-dynamic model of addiction looks into our traumas and mental illnesses as a cause of addiction. As such, it looks to therapy to understand and address the root of why addiction happens. Statistics on addiction bear this out, as childhood trauma and mental illness put someone at a much greater risk of drug addiction.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

For what it’s worth I fall into the last category.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Qanon nut job Michael Flynn spreading the latest conspiracy theory, COVID vaccine in salad dressing. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 am Qanon not job Michael Flynn spreading the latest conspiracy theory, COVID vaccine in salad dressing. :lol: :lol:
It better be Ken’s northern Italian light or Im screwed.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 am Qanon not job Michael Flynn spreading the latest conspiracy theory, COVID vaccine in salad dressing. :lol: :lol:
Last night I used Ken’s Liberal Agenda Ranch dressing on my salad. Have a sudden urge to join a socialist group.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:51 am
Last night I used Ken’s Liberal Agenda Ranch dressing on my salad. Have a sudden urge to join a socialist group.
That would explain the microchips embedded in the chunky blue cheese dressing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “POLITICS”