Gone Fishing

General Chatter
holmes435

Gone Fishing

Post by holmes435 »

I've moved my family close to the coast and want to pick up surf fishing. I've gone a few times (only caught a skate so far, but he was a big boy), but figured I'd start the fishing thread back up.

Anyone go a lot and have any advice or good websites? I've been digging around YouTube and a few places looking up rigs, lures, etc. I know it depends on the time of year and what fish are out there. We'll mostly be on the Outer Banks and should be going out every week or two.
hickorystick

Re: Gone Fishing

Post by hickorystick »

I used to do quite a bit of flounder fishing in Va Beach, tasty fish, incredibly easy to filet (always boneless) and if you catch a few crabs to go along with them you can have flounder stuffed with crab meat for dinner. Mighty tasty little treat. Flounder are a fisherman's dream as far as filleting goes, they've got flat bones as compared to the curved bones most fish have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK7diy9GBLI
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Holmes - I used to do it religiously in Myrtle Beach. Would love waking up at 5am, get outside by 520 with coffee and cast away. Also made lunch time around 1030 which means I could crack a beer.

Anyway, find a surf/tackle shop and just make friends. If you “really” get into it you can fight the winter elements when the Rockfish (striped bass) are running.

I always used cut mullet, schrimp, and bloody fish guts but that would often yield shark but rockfish like them also. Another trick is to read the waves and try and get the rig dropped into the flats between waves.

Oh yea.....cigars go great with surf fishing. :D

Enjoy!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

I fished the beaches on Long Island’s south shore religiously in the 80’s and 90’s. Stopped once my kids started their sports and never really found the time to get back into it. It was an addiction and I was not doing it for the hanging out and socializing. We were very competitive and you fished alone or with a trusted friend and never gave up your spots once you located the fish. Big bass were not easy to catch back then and were no where near as abundant as they are today.

I was very fortunate to be friends with and learn from a guy named Billy Legakis. By far the greatest bass fisherman I have ever met and a true legend to anyone who fished the beach. He has a lot of stuff posted on YouTube now. I knew him and fished with him long before he was doing seminars and how to videos. It’s all about figuring out what the fish are eating and when they are hungry.

I used to use a Solunar Table that would show the time of the day when the sun and moon aligned a certain way and it would trigger the fish to feed. Once I knew those times I would match them up with certain times of the tide. If I could match the solunar bite with the right change in the tide I could hit the beach for an hour and almost guarantee a big bass.

Don’t believe me right? Here is a something you can do to test if the tables work. Find a solunar table and sit in your back yard when it says it is prime time for fish to feed. You will see at almost to the minute your yard will come to life for about 15-30 minutes with birds, squirrels, rabbits, and any and all other things living out there. Now match that table up with a prime feeding time and a changing tide, and go hit the beach. If you catch one, cut it open and see what it’s feeding on. Now you got the bite and the bait!

Here is a link for a Billy The Greek seminar. You will find hours of his stuff on YouTube and he has written some books as well. Google “Billy The Greek” you will find tons of stuff and some great information on fishing the surf.

My biggest bass ever was caught the night Princess Diana died. It was August, it was hot, the water was warm. You are not supposed to catch big bass like that that time of year. Solunar tables and some tips from The Greek helped.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Thanks guys, will definitely be looking more into it as I get out more.

Went out at dusk + high tide this evening with just some fish bites on a high/low rig on a super cheap rod and low expectations. Had my 3 1/2 year old son accompany me. Constant "did you catch a fish dad?" questions with mostly "no" answers. Then again there's not much better in life than kneeling down next to your son and having him tell you how much fun he's having as helps you reel it back in. He was mostly running around chasing ghost crabs though.

Managed to catch this monster mini-croaker (maybe 6-8") - didn't even know he was on until I had him up nearly on shore. Hadn't seen one up close and didn't realize what it was until it started croaking in my hands. My son named him "ocean" before tossing him back. Talked with a few guys around and there doesn't seem to be much biting this week. Hoping for more with the storms coming in.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

The first thing you should have done was live line that croaker Holmes! That’s some nice live bait right there!

Love the story about your son! Nothing better!

Bringing back some great memories!

This little man will be 24 years old next month. It goes quick. Enjoy every minute of it!
1 fish
1 fish
image2.jpeg (33.93 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
2 fish
2 fish
image3.jpeg (29.86 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
The Princess Diana Bass
Attachments
image1 2.jpeg
image1 2.jpeg (27.04 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

A few more oldies I found in my drawer...

Mrs DD with a nice summer bass for the BBQ and another proud poppa pic of the little man! Also a pic of our first home. 40’ of Long Island waterfront. Loved that little love shack. Doctors told us we could not have kids and we bought it thinking we’d spend our life on the bay. I was going to start running a guide service doing private backwater bass trips. 9 months after we bought that love shack she gave birth to #1, then we had #2 and #3 before #1 was even out of diapers! There went my backwater bass guide business.... had to actually make a real living and move into a real house!
:cry:
Attachments
Little man. Big fish.
Little man. Big fish.
IMG_1421 3.JPG (72.03 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Love shack.
Love shack.
IMG_2130 2.PNG (76.83 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Summer BBQ bass
Summer BBQ bass
IMG_1332 3.jpg (99.09 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
hickorystick

Post by hickorystick »

No pictures of when you hooked your biggest one, DD?
Would love to see a picture of the hooked s+o.
;)
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

hickorystick wrote:No pictures of when you hooked your biggest one, DD?
Would love to see a picture of the hooked s+o.
;)
If I pulled out a camera on that trip he would have broken my neck!
:lol:
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

DD-Tech wrote:A few more oldies I found in my drawer...

Mrs DD with a nice summer bass for the BBQ and another proud poppa pic of the little man! Also a pic of our first home. 40’ of Long Island waterfront. Loved that little love shack. Doctors told us we could not have kids and we bought it thinking we’d spend our life on the bay. I was going to start running a guide service doing private backwater bass trips. 9 months after we bought that love shack she gave birth to #1, then we had #2 and #3 before #1 was even out of diapers! There went my backwater bass guide business.... had to actually make a real living and move into a real house!
:cry:
first pic- mickelson???

i know youre a golfer DD!!!

just kidding. i know DD and there isnt a nicer guy around here. not even SorePlusOld!!!

holmes- i do lake fishing so im probably no help. a few suggestions- join fishidy. if you follow the updates, youll figure out where the spots are and what lures to use and what times of day. (and you can brag on the site too)

one other tip- google around and see if you can hire a guide for a day. there's so many of these older fisherman that live near waterways and have free time. they're sponsored by whatever company and they start side businesses, where you can lop down a few hundred and spend a half day fishing. youll get so many tips you wont need to see them again. though, the guy i used has a standing weekly session with one client.

how's that for a job!?!?!?!?
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:first pic- mickelson???
:lol: that is funny
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:I fished the beaches on Long Island’s south shore religiously in the 80’s and 90’s. Stopped once my kids started their sports and never really found the time to get back into it. It was an addiction and I was not doing it for the hanging out and socializing. We were very competitive and you fished alone or with a trusted friend and never gave up your spots once you located the fish. Big bass were not easy to catch back then and were no where near as abundant as they are today.

I was very fortunate to be friends with and learn from a guy named Billy Legakis. By far the greatest bass fisherman I have ever met and a true legend to anyone who fished the beach. He has a lot of stuff posted on YouTube now. I knew him and fished with him long before he was doing seminars and how to videos. It’s all about figuring out what the fish are eating and when they are hungry.

I used to use a Solunar Table that would show the time of the day when the sun and moon aligned a certain way and it would trigger the fish to feed. Once I knew those times I would match them up with certain times of the tide. If I could match the solunar bite with the right change in the tide I could hit the beach for an hour and almost guarantee a big bass.

Don’t believe me right? Here is a something you can do to test if the tables work. Find a solunar table and sit in your back yard when it says it is prime time for fish to feed. You will see at almost to the minute your yard will come to life for about 15-30 minutes with birds, squirrels, rabbits, and any and all other things living out there. Now match that table up with a prime feeding time and a changing tide, and go hit the beach. If you catch one, cut it open and see what it’s feeding on. Now you got the bite and the bait!

Here is a link for a Billy The Greek seminar. You will find hours of his stuff on YouTube and he has written some books as well. Google “Billy The Greek” you will find tons of stuff and some great information on fishing the surf.

My biggest bass ever was caught the night Princess Diana died. It was August, it was hot, the water was warm. You are not supposed to catch big bass like that that time of year. Solunar tables and some tips from The Greek helped.
Thanks for triggering many fond memories, DD. Artie, God rest his soul, would have been proud of you...provided you didn't try to fish his honey holes...of which there were many.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

We need a “LIKE” button.

I miss the salt murf! I used to fish on a boat named the WaHoo. Guy who owned it owned Freeport Garage door. Maybe you knew him? 32’ Wellcraft
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:We need a “LIKE” button.

I miss the salt murf! I used to fish on a boat named the WaHoo. A guy who owned it owned Freeport Garage door. Maybe you knew him? 32’ Wellcraft
I remember a boat named WaHoo. Used to come through Jones inlet if my brainpan recalls. Never saw the location tag nor did I know who owned it. Always had a bunch of guys on board all looking like they were having fun. Damn nice vessel.

There was another WAHOO boat, a Yellowfin 28(?) that used to frequent the Race and Plum Gut. Bet the name is pretty popular on the East Coast. Wahoos put up fierce fights and, according to a sashimi aficionado I know, are the best tasting.
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

The WaHoo going through Jones was the boat. I was probably on it with those guys too. He was based out of Nick’s Marina in Merrick. Mid 80s to early 90s. Good times!

Yes Wahoo makes a great meal! If you are ever in Bermuda make sure you find this place! My wife and I had some great grilled wahoo steaks there about a year ago. Never tried it as sushi. Great place!

http://www.wahoos.bm/
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

DD-Tech wrote:The WaHoo going through Jones was the boat. I was probably on it with those guys too. He was based out of Nick’s Marina in Merrick. Mid 80s to early 90s. Good times!

Yes Wahoo makes a great meal! If you are ever in Bermuda make sure you find this place! My wife and I had some great grilled wahoo steaks there about a year ago. Never tried it as sushi. Great place!

http://www.wahoos.bm/
Thanks for the heads up. I've caught quite a few but I'm ashamed to say never have tasted one, cooked or raw. Now on my bucket list
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Hey Holmes. Be safe down on the Outer Banks. Good luck to you and your family with the storm heading your way.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Thanks, it's been a crazy day of prepping. Mandatory evacuation along the Outer Banks on up to some parts of Virginia Beach at the moment, and we're in one of those zones. Currently putting everything of value on the top shelf and heading inland in the to see what Florence does. We'll maybe head to western NC or Atlanta for a pint while this all blows over and make an adventure of it.

It was fun riding out the storms growing up, but we were a little further away from the water and only had to worry about a tree or two. Not so much anymore, and if this one stays as strong as it is (or stronger), it's gonna be a wild one. There are a lot more people around nowadays than 30 years ago, so getting out is a bigger hassle.

Those are some great pictures by the way.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

holmes435 wrote:I've moved my family close to the coast and want to pick up surf fishing. I've gone a few times (only caught a skate so far, but he was a big boy), but figured I'd start the fishing thread back up.

Anyone go a lot and have any advice or good websites? I've been digging around YouTube and a few places looking up rigs, lures, etc. I know it depends on the time of year and what fish are out there. We'll mostly be on the Outer Banks and should be going out every week or two.
Skate wing taste like scallops according to the French. The wings were used as bait by many folks but like fluke bellies, it's now illegal.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ska ... own-butter
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

wahoomurf wrote:Skate wing taste like scallops according to the French. The wings were used as bait by many folks but like fluke bellies, it's now illegal.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ska ... own-butter
I've had it once, it's definitely worth getting if you see it on the menu. Apparently it goes bad if you don't filet it quickly and correctly after catching it due to how it stores its waste.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”