Yale 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Yale 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 am Leo Johnson, a name that's been echoing around CT lacrosse circles for years now....

From Inside Lacrosse: The North's Griffin Schutz (Virginia) led all scorers with five goals on seven shots, and Yale-bound Leo Johnson finished with a game-high six points on two goals and four assists.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/58266
This IL article also includes a video clip of a Leo Johnson assist, and one of Johnson and Yale commit Cohen talking.

From Lacrosse Bucket: Leo Johnson, A, Avon Old Farms (Conn.) – Yale
Johnson was pretty quite in the first half of play. But in the second half, the Yale signee went off for four points (1G/3A). All three of those assisted goals went to Griffin Schutz, including a cross-field feed during a man-up situation that found a cutting Schutz right on the doorstep for the score. That play highlighted the night for Johnson, who looks all but ready to make an immediate impact in New Haven.
https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/07/31/s ... ican-game/

From the Johns Hopkins thread:
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:48 am
The player I was most impressed with was Leo Johnson headed to Yale. In a game that's mostly hero ball he racked up 4 or 5 assists on some pretty skip passes. He'll probably start for them right away.
Two CT kids.
“I wish you would!”
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:21 am It looks like Yale will be in Baltimore for an October 24th John Hopkins fall-bay day, along with the host, Hobart, Richmond, Harvard and High Point.

“JOHNS HOPKINS WILL HOST A SIX-TEAM SCRIMMAGE DAY ON SUNDAY, OCTOBER 24 AT HOMEWOOD FIELD. ALONG WITH THE BLUE JAYS, TEAMS SCHEDULED TO COMPETE AT HOMEWOOD THAT DAY INCLUDE HARVARD, HIGH POINT, HOBART, RICHMOND AND YALE. THE FULL SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY WILL BE AVAILABLE IN SEPTEMBER AND THE EVENT WILL SUPPORT THE HEADSTRONG FOUNDATION.”

Johns Hopkins Director of Athletic Communications Ernie Larossa

I'm hoping there will also be some fall ball in New Haven....
That's a nice field! That's in my neck of the woods. I will circle it on the calendar and hope I can make it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

calourie wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:03 pm I was very impressed with '21 recruit Leo Johnson's 2g 4a (all in the 2nd half) performance in last night's UA All America scorefest. Leo stood out as the premier feeder on the field and by the end of the game had Quint and Carc singing his praises again and again. Midfielder Johnny Keib chipped in with a couple of nice goals for the losing North squad, and long pole Jake Cohen tossed in a score for the South in a game that saw very little defense as would be expected from all-star teams with very little practice together. FOGO Mac Rodriguez split time with a fellow teammate from the north and I have to say the video coverage was too spotty to comment much on how he performed as the face offs were often upstaged by close ups of whoever the latest scorer was in a 28-22 game.
Thanks for the report -- I will have to watch a replay.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ty Xanders on two soon-to-be Yale players in the recent UA All-Star game:

Yale-bound LSM Jake Cohen (Landon, Md.) was sensational, corralling seven groundballs, causing one turnover and scoring a second-quarter goal when he picked up a GB after a teammate's caused turnover, walked the dog upfield, threw a sky-whammy and ripped one past the keeper. He's physical and has an excellent motor, and you see his hockey background with the way he handles his longpole like a toothpick. Cohen is the kind of longpole that the Bulldogs don't often get, and he'll be a fun one to watch in New Haven.

Leo Johnson, A, Avon Old Farms (Conn.) | Yale
It was easy to marvel at what Johnson was able to do in the second half, even if it wasn’t remotely surprising considering the body of work the dynamic dodger has assembled over the years. His role as the catalyst in his connection with Virginia-bound Griffin Schutz — a fellow five-star from Connecticut — produced some of the game’s most Instagram-worthy highlights, as Johnson tossed a trio of gorgeous assists to Schutz on the doorstep in the second half. He sliced and diced at X for another helper to yet another New Englander, then on his two goals, used his defender as a screen on a low-to-low blast and then snuck a shot between the goalie and pipe on a dodge from behind.
Johnson sees the field at an extremely high level and brings both speed and savvy to the table, desired traits when you’re talking about a 5-foot-9 attackman (though he’s filled out a lot more since his recruitment). He comes in as the highest-rated offensive recruit of Andy Shay’s Yale tenure, and on top of that, I have a feeling that he’s going to be an impeccable fit with the Bulldogs’ culture. While it’s awfully difficult to project what the Ivies’ depth charts will look like after such a long layoff, Johnson gives off the impression that it’ll be really hard to keep him off the field as a freshman.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... game/58278
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looking forward to seeing what all of the 23 ( 13 this year, 10 last) untested newcomers are able to bring to the Shay program this fall and beyond. Andy makes it abundantly clear that playing time in his program is earned not given, and it's a program that is becoming increasingly peopled by recruits with glowing high school resumes and accolades. Johnson and Cohen certainly appear to have big time potential but it pays to bear in mind that they will be competing against older, often stronger, in some cases faster and in many cases more experienced returnees. Based on the small personally observed sample size of the UA All American game I'm excited to see what the two of them ( as well as fellow UA AA participants Keib, and Rodriguez ) are capable of given the circumstances, and am confident Shay and staff will be able to correctly evaluate their abilities to contribute to what I hope and expect to be another talented, well coached and well conditioned Ivy contender.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

No first-year can expect to waltz into a starting role for Shay, but we have seen Gaudet and Morrill start as freshmen in 2017, ditto Starr and Fake in 2018. Mooney saw considerable playing time at LSM throughout his four years, so Cohen... I find Ty's "I have a feeling that he’s going to be an impeccable fit with the Bulldogs’ culture" comment about Leo particularly interesting; getting recruits with glowing HS resumes and accolades is something relatively new for Shay, and if such players fully buy into the Bulldog grit and work ethic, good results should follow.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looks like Yale just picked up Patrick Pisano, a 2022 decommit from Dartmouth. IL lists him as a 4 star defender while his promo video proclaims him as a 2021 Nassau county co-defender of the year.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

calourie

Post by calourie »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:07 am Good podcast with Andy Shay:

https://www.laxjournal.com/from-the-pod ... the-field/
Really worthwhile listen for those interested in the often cited Yale lacrosse culture developed by coach Shay. Also a good deal of discussion on what the upcoming fall ball and team practice schedule will look like between now and the Feb. 1 start of practice, as well as what Andy sees as the impact of the covid layoff on this coming season. Sounds like Shay expects the first week of practice February scrimmage with Syracuse to still be in place despite the coaching change at Cuse and the minimal practice time that the Bulldogs will have had between now and then. It's clear Andy expects a lot from his players, and so far it has certainly paid off handsomely. I have high expectations it will continue to do so.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HS Class of 2023 commit, Peter Moynihan:
https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/09/10/c ... -moynihan/
Peter Moynihan, A, Taft (Conn.) / 2-Way
Moynihan is fantastic operating at X and constantly putting pressure on defenses. He is wise with picking and choosing when to go and has a great first step to shake free. When the ball goes out of bounds on the endline, the defense better be ready to buckle down, have a slide, and account for the two because Moynihan does a great job of simply taking whatever the defense gives. He shoots up the hash shots with fluency that young prospects often lack, but when slid to, has the poise and IQ to find and make the best possible play.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tage/58207
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Thanks for that post of their first commitment. Seems like a slow start to the commitment process for the Class of 23, no?
Typical Lax Dad

Lax3 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm Thanks for that post of their first commitment. Seems like a slow start to the commitment process for the Class of 23, no?
Taking their time. Reached out to a friend’s kid. Not sure where it’s headed. Also, may need to gather transcripts to screen kids. 10 days into recruiting.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 pm
Lax3 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:48 pm Thanks for that post of their first commitment. Seems like a slow start to the commitment process for the Class of 23, no?
Taking their time. Reached out to a friend’s kid. Not sure where it’s headed. Also, may need to gather transcripts to screen kids. 10 days into recruiting.
Send friends kid to Hobart. Screw yale. Respectfully.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:07 pm
I have one in mind.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:07 pm
I have one in mind.
That’s what I’m talking about!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
calourie

Post by calourie »

Looks like Yale is no longer part of the Headstrong Classic at Hopkins October 24 according to the listing of fall events on IL. The Classic is on the same weekend as the "Super Sixes" event being payed at the lacrosse center in Sparks, Maryland, featuring the USA, Iroquois Nationals and Team Canada sixes squads. I know Coach Shay is heavily involved in the US sixers effort, perhaps even the head coach, which may explain why the Bulldogs appear to be no longer participating in the Hopkins event. Curious to see if a replacement fall scrimmage is in the works.
lorin

Post by lorin »

calourie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am Looks like Yale is no longer part of the Headstrong Classic at Hopkins October 24 according to the listing of fall events on IL. The Classic is on the same weekend as the "Super Sixes" event being payed at the lacrosse center in Sparks, Maryland, featuring the USA, Iroquois Nationals and Team Canada sixes squads. I know Coach Shay is heavily involved in the US sixers effort, perhaps even the head coach, which may explain why the Bulldogs appear to be no longer participating in the Hopkins event. Curious to see if a replacement fall scrimmage is in the works.
Yale is playing at SB on 10/17
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

lorin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 am
calourie wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am Looks like Yale is no longer part of the Headstrong Classic at Hopkins October 24 according to the listing of fall events on IL. The Classic is on the same weekend as the "Super Sixes" event being payed at the lacrosse center in Sparks, Maryland, featuring the USA, Iroquois Nationals and Team Canada sixes squads. I know Coach Shay is heavily involved in the US sixers effort, perhaps even the head coach, which may explain why the Bulldogs appear to be no longer participating in the Hopkins event. Curious to see if a replacement fall scrimmage is in the works.
Along with Army, right?
lorin

Post by lorin »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:40 am
lorin wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:24 am
Along with Army, right?
Yes
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Three four-star Yale commits now from the Class of 23:

Peter Moynihan 2023 A The Taft School
Luke Michalik 2023 LSM Brunswick School
George Northup 2023 G The Lawrenceville School

Princeton with a good start with four four-stars and one five-star. For what the ratings are worth ...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”