Way too early rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Way too early rankings

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:08 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 pm since 2010, denver's missed the nc$$ once. even hopkins with an engraved preseason invitation has missed it twice. they've also made 7 quarters in that time and, while not in the last 3, made the ff 5 times.
my money's on denver.
They might’ve gotten lazy living off Baptiste and little and needed to transition focus back only to get smacked with Covid. Or Tierney, as all older coaches eventually do, lost his mojo and the “newness” of Matt Brown WS usurped by sexier new ACs recruiting.
they scored over 14 goals per game. how far are we running with this?
had the guy finished the 14th goal vs loyola like he should have, they may have had a 2nd shot at duke and the mods would be forced to axe these posts.
There's a small difference but noticeable from when you drop from undefeated in conference every year and hadn't had 5 losses in a season in 6-7 years. Understandable if folks are wondering if there's a decline coming with a older coach as that is fairly common. I'm not sure I'm there but people tend to think in linear fashion - see Rutgers lately and Big Ten since formation and that MD/OSU final, they figured they'd dominate forever. I'm not where some others are but to act like everyone is crazy ignores a frequent human condition and data which you tend to like.

(as an aside-people tend to crap on the ECAC, I think pre big east was better when we had 2-3 teams in the NCAAs every year and a finalist or two, but even when it became a mashup of the leftover ECAC and GWLL it was pretty strong w Denver, Air Force, OSU, Loyola, Fairfield, Hobart and maybe one other I'm forgetting. Think bellarmine was in the league one year and even they had that goalie named Dillon Reade or something like that and bumped around the top 20 before McGetrick passed).

Bill Tierney (ECAC Lacrosse League) (2010–2013)
2010 Bill Tierney 12–5 7–0 1st NCAA Division I First Round
2011 Bill Tierney 15–3 6–0 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
2012 Bill Tierney 9–7 3–3 NCAA Division I Quarterfinals
2013 Bill Tierney 14–5 6–1 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
Bill Tierney (Big East Conference) (2014–Present)
2014 Bill Tierney 16–3 6–0 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
2015 Bill Tierney 17–2 5–0 1st NCAA Division I Champion
2016 Bill Tierney 13–3 5–0 1st NCAA Division I First Round
2017 Bill Tierney 13–4 5–0 1st NCAA Division I Final Four
2018 Bill Tierney 13–4 5–0 1st NCAA Division I Quarterfinals
2019 Bill Tierney 10–5 4–1 1st
2020 Bill Tierney 4–2 0–0 † †
2021 Bill Tierney 12–5 9–1 T–1st NCAA Division I First Rou
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA Lax. Magazine is rolling out their top #25 write ups starting this week

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

1 Maryland
2 Duke
3 Virginia
4 Carolina
5 Georgetown
6 Notre Dame
7 Rutgers
8 Loyola
9 Yale
10 Denver
11 Army
12 Lehigh
13 Syracuse
14 Delaware
15 Johns Hopkins
16 Drexel
17 Penn State
18 Penn
19 Ohio State
20 Cornell
21. Bryant
22 Richmond
23 Villanova
24 High Point
T25 Towson
T25 Michigan
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Get ready for the "duke is always overrated, feeds off of crappy socon teams and always gets a freebie or two early in the season becuase of Dano"
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I liked that 2017 Pios team,

played over their heads,
made it to the Final Four.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Some UVA fans preferred a preseason five spot but 3 may lead into peat.

Surprised Duke at 2 after slaughter by Maryland but plenty of talent there .Maybe Danowski figures how to properly use team this year.

Torpey and Shay extract the most.

Thought UNC may have been the best team last year. Gray marvels but much lost, must have alot to step in.

Denver deserving of top ten rank, wont miss a beat at fogo. Navy slighted.

Rutgers? Ill wait for the sequel . Favor Army and Hopkins.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:28 pm I liked that 2017 Pios team,

played over their heads,
Was that the one that lost to PSU mid season in a mild upset?

More importantly, say what you want about the conference over that period, Tierney was 26-0 through 2018. How many folks in any confernece can say that over a 5yr stretch?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

stupefied wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm Some UVA fans preferred a preseason five spot but 3 may lead into peat.

Surprised Duke at 2 after slaughter by Maryland but plenty of talent there .Maybe Danowski figures how to properly use team this year.

Thought UNC may have been the best team last year. Gray marvels but much lost, must have alot to step in.

I would only argue for the one clarification: "UNC had the best talent, but definitely not the best team" It has happened once before in Breschi's 13 year tenure but it will take a lot more talent than anyone else has for him to lead UNC to another title. The guy is a classic long term under achiever for what he has had available to him at UNC.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

blue angels wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:15 pm
stupefied wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:24 pm Some UVA fans preferred a preseason five spot but 3 may lead into peat.

I would only argue for the one clarification: "UNC had the best talent, but definitely not the best team" It has happened once before in Breschi's 13 year tenure but it will take a lot more talent than anyone else has for him to lead UNC to another title. The guy is a classic long term under achiever for what he has had available to him at UNC.
Then sneaks in during a .500 year and wins it all...
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:36 pm

played over their heads,
That upset by PSU came in 2016.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:36 pm

played over their heads,
That upset by PSU came in 2016.
Got it thanks. My 40s aren’t as good to my memory as my 30s were for some odd reason.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Agree with your clarification . As far as Macri is overlooked departure , be missed as best cover on that squa. .Pryor is nice add to ss unit led by Maher. See those two atheletic fogos having big seasons. Same for Tillman Putting huge stats aside, Gray has been such a great addition , maybe the best ever from portal. Didnt understand Breschi riding frosh mid in playoffs before some others but high character guy. He might have had too many talents to keep happy.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I like that spot - pre-season 3 as pole position for the three-peat! :D
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

stupefied wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Agree with your clarification . As far as Macri is overlooked departure , be missed as best cover on that squa. .Pryor is nice add to ss unit led by Maher. See those two atheletic fogos having big seasons. Same for Tillman Putting huge stats aside, Gray has been such a great addition , maybe the best ever from portal. Didnt understand Breschi riding frosh mid in playoffs before some others but high character guy. He might have had too many talents to keep happy.
Would this same underachieving apply to: Conroy, Myers, John Haus and a few others? Corrigan has gotten better talent last decade and feels like underacheived. Urick last few years before he retired though what he did in building the program up was impressive with guys like Merrill and Hodge. What about every coach ever at Harvard?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Seems to me with how much UVA has coming back and how well Lars recruits that they deserve the #1 spot. I think Duke is a couple of spots too high, as is UNC. Georgetown and Loyola are too low, IMO.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 pm Seems to me with how much UVA has coming back and how well Lars recruits that they deserve the #1 spot. I think Duke is a couple of spots too high, as is UNC. Georgetown and Loyola are too low, IMO.
Odds are stacked heavily against a 3 peat so Virginia is unlikely to end up #1, although a favorite to return to Memorial Day weekend if they sort out Rode's replacement. At this juncture, I see no real dominant team, unlike last year when everyone was"incorrectly" ooing and ahhing over Duke and UNC's rosters....... I am a believer in Toomey. Loyola does it year after year and belongs somewhere above Georgetown and Rutgers. The latter 2 haven't yet proven they are at the same program level as Loyola.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Another clarification. Meant Toomey not Torpey in earlier post. "Toomey and Shay extract the most" They are two great coaches.Odds are agaisnt three peating and Loyola is not a far fetched choice. As far as coaches , Lars bit off but his approach and coaching brought two chips and his team was On in both finals. . Get laughs but UVA fortunate to not face Cuse again in playoffs, they just match up well beyond just faceoffs. Prefer four finalists not be teams that used portal extensively but likely to see a few. Respect views of others about player rights, coaches purpose and obligations , the ways of today etc so no need to debate.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:58 am
Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:41 pm Seems to me with how much UVA has coming back and how well Lars recruits that they deserve the #1 spot. I think Duke is a couple of spots too high, as is UNC. Georgetown and Loyola are too low, IMO.
Odds are stacked heavily against a 3 peat so Virginia is unlikely to end up #1, although a favorite to return to Memorial Day weekend if they sort out Rode's replacement. At this juncture, I see no real dominant team, unlike last year when everyone was"incorrectly" ooing and ahhing over Duke and UNC's rosters....... I am a believer in Toomey. Loyola does it year after year and belongs somewhere above Georgetown and Rutgers. The latter 2 haven't yet proven they are at the same program level as Loyola.
Duke and UNC had terrible seasons. I thought they would make the tournament.
“I wish you would!”
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Sarcasm? UNC had excellent year, slow start in semis vs UVA doomed. Duke? Never put it together despite hype and winning record. Made it to semis but accident waiting to happen.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:15 am
Fair Point, especially for most teams, but I would ask you to answer this question...... Based on their Pre season expectations, Do you think UNC and Duke's players & coaches were satisfied about their seasons? Getting to Memorial Day is a great accomplishment for any team and they did but..............
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:15 am
Fair Point, especially for most teams, but I would ask you to answer this question...... Based on their Pre season expectations, Do you think UNC and Duke's players & coaches were satisfied about their seasons? Getting to Memorial Day is a great accomplishment for any team and they did but..............
No. Usually only one team is. I didn’t think Duke looked good for most of the season. UNC seemed more balanced. Lost an incredible game to the eventual champion. Anyway we all tend to exaggerate. Just giving you a hard time.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”