Beef with the polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Beef with the polls

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:43 pm
BC - champs until they lose
21-13 Cuse over NW without EH or MC in their last meeting.
No swapping, same reasoning.
Shocking to me how he doesn't give any props to EH being a force in the spring. Thinking she is gonna have a huge 2022.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

I always find these polls interesting. To have Cuse behind unc when Cuse made it to the final is wrong. They made it and UNC didn’t so they should be the 2 seed until further notice
Notice. With that being said, I do not see Cuse in the final four in 2022. Too many obstacles. They indeed have a tremendous offensive weaponry. But their defense is going to be a whole new ballgame. Let’s start with the goalie. Will Kimber how her get the start? I’m not sure but with only Sarah Cooper returning Kayla has a lot of work to do. And these kids have zero experience due to the fact that that class took their fifth year.
It doesn’t mean that I can’t be done. I mean look at Ella Simkins. She was unknown coming in I had a break out senior and 5th year season and now has a coaching job and is on the USA roster so it can happen.
I do know they lost some kids to the portal I don’t know if any of them were defenders or not. But it will be fun to watch how they develop this new line up
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:26 pm I always find these polls interesting. To have Cuse behind unc when Cuse made it to the final is wrong. They made it and UNC didn’t so they should be the 2 seed until further notice
Notice. With that being said, I do not see Cuse in the final four in 2022. Too many obstacles. They indeed have a tremendous offensive weaponry. But their defense is going to be a whole new ballgame. Let’s start with the goalie. Will Kimber how her get the start? I’m not sure but with only Sarah Cooper returning Kayla has a lot of work to do. And these kids have zero experience due to the fact that that class took their fifth year.
It doesn’t mean that I can’t be done. I mean look at Ella Simkins. She was unknown coming in I had a break out senior and 5th year season and now has a coaching job and is on the USA roster so it can happen.
I do know they lost some kids to the portal I don’t know if any of them were defenders or not. But it will be fun to watch how they develop this new line up
Don't agree with you at all. Cuse made it to the final, but until UNC lost in the semi, there was no one who would think Cuse was better than UNC. They didn't beat UNC, they beat NW. Only team that gets a pass is the past/reigning National Champion. All others are open to subjective review and placement.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:46 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:26 pm I always find these polls interesting. To have Cuse behind unc when Cuse made it to the final is wrong. They made it and UNC didn’t so they should be the 2 seed until further notice
Don't agree with you at all. Cuse made it to the final, but until UNC lost in the semi, there was no one who would think Cuse was better than UNC. They didn't beat UNC, they beat NW. Only team that gets a pass is the past/reigning National Champion. All others are open to subjective review and placement.
You don’t have to agree with me that’s why they are called opinions. But in my opinion I think the last two standing should be ranked 1&2 going into the new season season
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:19 pm
You don’t have to agree with me that’s why they are called opinions. But in my opinion I think the last two standing should be ranked 1&2 going into the new season season
And if the #2 team lost 3/4 of their starters and goalie, didnt get any transfers, and remaining team was fairly young you would still rank them #2? Have to take into consideration who you lose and who you gain. **not saying this is Cuse just throwing out an example.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:27 pm
And if the #2 team lost 3/4 of their starters and goalie, didnt get any transfers, and remaining team was fairly young you would still rank them #2? Have to take into consideration who you lose and who you gain. **not saying this is Cuse just throwing out an example.
coming off natty weekend going in to preseason, yes. After week one probably not lol. Cuse got some transfers as did everyone else. It’ll
Come down to development of this brand new defense that will tell the tale. Could be a disaster or could be great. Offense like I said is loaded. However. With eh and mc coming back there will have to be some
Movement of last years line up
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

You are right that your opinion is as valid as mine. Taking your lead, IMO, Cuse wouldn't have made the final 2 if they were in the other bracket. Great team and they beat my daughter's team handily , but based on watching them all season, they were not the 2nd best team last year. Yes, you can say that they technically are because they are natty runners up, but really, with the eye test, not better than Unc or BC. So, a poll is based on voting and not results from last year... Again, my opinion, finishing 2, 3 or 4th in 2021 doesn't mean squat for the next year, even the first poll.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Actually, the entire first poll (and pretty much all of them) doesn't mean squat.
Cuse was a team of over achievers last year (who didn't write 'em off when the
two T Award candidates went down and out) who did beat BC twice, and while
they might not have passed the eye test for some (don't know why) they sure
did pass the heart test.
Last edited by DMac on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:39 pm
You are right that your opinion is as valid as mine. Taking your lead, IMO, Cuse wouldn't have made the final 2 if they were in the other bracket. Great team and they beat my daughter's team handily , but based on watching them all season, they were not the 2nd best team last year. Yes, you can say that they technically are because they are natty runners up, but really, with the eye test, not better than Unc or BC. So, a poll is based on voting and not results from last year... Again, my opinion, finishing 2, 3 or 4th in 2021 doesn't mean squat for the next year, even the first poll.
10000% correct. They got lucky gettin nw in the semi. As far as unc. It is extremely difficult to stay undefeated for an entire season. Bc went in with a chip on their shoulder and without north I’m not sure that outcome would’ve been the same. Bc/Cuse meeting so many times the same can be said for that matchup. Hard to beat a team twice let alone 4x in two months. It will be fun to watch treanor coach against aww and see how she takes the team in her own direction
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

BC will and should be #1 because they are the champs. I still think UNC was the best team and would win that matchup in a 7 game series but BC had all the ingredients to beat a team like UNC. a hot streak + untapped raw talent. It all came together nicely. This BC team will be better than last year's championship team. B. Smith is a special player. But UNC basically reloaded by cleaning house with all the top transfers on the market on top of what they already have returning. They'll be number 1 going into the championship weekend. I really like Cuse. They showed me alot last year. I'll slot them in at #3. Northwestern at 4, ND at 5.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm BC will and should be #1 because they are the champs. I still think UNC was the best team and would win that matchup in a 7 game series but BC had all the ingredients to beat a team like UNC. a hot streak + untapped raw talent. It all came together nicely. This BC team will be better than last year's championship team. B. Smith is a special player. But UNC basically reloaded by cleaning house with all the top transfers on the market on top of what they already have returning. They'll be number 1 going into the championship weekend. I really like Cuse. They showed me alot last year. I'll slot them in at #3. Northwestern at 4, ND at 5.
I agree completely with your top 4. You make good solid arguments that align with my thoughts. #5 is there because 5-10 are unremarkable. There are the top 4 teams and then, everyone else.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:35 am
Kleizaster wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:58 pm BC will and should be #1 because they are the champs. I still think UNC was the best team and would win that matchup in a 7 game series but BC had all the ingredients to beat a team like UNC. a hot streak + untapped raw talent. It all came together nicely. This BC team will be better than last year's championship team. B. Smith is a special player. But UNC basically reloaded by cleaning house with all the top transfers on the market on top of what they already have returning. They'll be number 1 going into the championship weekend. I really like Cuse. They showed me alot last year. I'll slot them in at #3. Northwestern at 4, ND at 5.
I agree completely with your top 4. You make good solid arguments that align with my thoughts. #5 is there because 5-10 are unremarkable. There are the top 4 teams and then, everyone else.

Yup I completely agree. Just looking at top 5 you may do a double take at ND at #5 but it makes more sense when you look at 6-10.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 pm
coming off natty weekend going in to preseason, yes. After week one probably not lol. Cuse got some transfers as did everyone else. It’ll
Come down to development of this brand new defense that will tell the tale. Could be a disaster or could be great. Offense like I said is loaded. However. With eh and mc coming back there will have to be some
Defielise is back for Cuse. Not sure where lax Mag writer gets his info….
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Fischer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:12 pm
Defielise is back for Cuse. Not sure where lax Mag writer gets his info….
what are u saying?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I don't know what makes Carolina an automatic #1. Is their talent really that much better than BC's? I don't think a team should be given the token top slot because they won the national championship the previous season. The rosters are taken into account more so in any early poll. Who graduated? Who departed/arrived via portal? etc. Carolina lost Katie Hoeg. She was a huge part of the Heels offense. BC didn't lose anyone as significant. Some might say Urbank for BC but I don't think Urbank's absence will be felt as much with all the young guns coming in and sophomores/juniors coming into their own, as they say, as the absence of Hoeg will be felt for the Heels. But then Wurzburger might have something to say about that...
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:36 am I don't know what makes Carolina an automatic #1. Is their talent really that much better than BC's? I don't think a team should be given the token top slot because they won the national championship the previous season. The rosters are taken into account more so in any early poll. Who graduated? Who departed/arrived via portal? etc. Carolina lost Katie Hoeg. She was a huge part of the Heels offense. BC didn't lose anyone as significant. Some might say Urbank for BC but I don't think Urbank's absence will be felt as much with all the young guns coming in and sophomores/juniors coming into their own, as they say, as the absence of Hoeg will be felt for the Heels. But then Wurzburger might have something to say about that...
I don’t think anyone said UNC was the automatic #1? At least from what I’ve read most people have BC and are debating who should be #2: SU or UNC
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:36 am I don't know what makes Carolina an automatic #1. Is their talent really that much better than BC's? I don't think a team should be given the token top slot because they won the national championship the previous season. The rosters are taken into account more so in any early poll. Who graduated? Who departed/arrived via portal? etc. Carolina lost Katie Hoeg. She was a huge part of the Heels offense. BC didn't lose anyone as significant. Some might say Urbank for BC but I don't think Urbank's absence will be felt as much with all the young guns coming in and sophomores/juniors coming into their own, as they say, as the absence of Hoeg will be felt for the Heels. But then Wurzburger might have something to say about that...
I don’t think anyone said UNC was the automatic #1? At least from what I’ve read most people have BC and are debating who should be #2: SU or UNC
A significant ‘pollster’ here has NC #1. Plus another poll/ranking has Carolina at the top spot.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:10 am
A significant ‘pollster’ here has NC #1. Plus another poll/ranking has Carolina at the top spot.
Oh I thought that was just a prediction for USA Lacrosse Magazine’s top 5. Other than the posts in the forum, which poll has Carolina at the top spot for 2022?
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am A significant ‘pollster’ here has NC #1. Plus another poll/ranking has Carolina at the top spot.
Oh I thought that was just a prediction for USA Lacrosse Magazine’s top 5. Other than the posts in the forum, which poll has Carolina at the top spot for 2022?
The NCAA RPI rankings.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:41 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:04 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:37 am A significant ‘pollster’ here has NC #1. Plus another poll/ranking has Carolina at the top spot.
The NCAA RPI rankings.
Those are for the end of the 2021 season not 2022 preseason rankings. RPI can’t exist in the preseason because everyone starts at 0-0. All these other polls are able to take into account opinions on transfers, graduations, incoming freshmen, etc., but RPI needs to have a team’s win percentage, their opponents’ win percentage, & their opponents’ opponents’ win percentage in order to be calculated. Preseason RPI rankings would have every team tied for 1st place with an RPI of 0.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”