North Carolina 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10 10 2

North Carolina 2022

Post by 10 10 2 »

UNC loses a lot. Cook, Perry, Anderson, McCarthy, Bowen, and Macri. Not sure yet if Alex Trippi and Sean Morris will come back for a 5th year. So, potentially five out of the top six midfielders and all starting defenders.

On the plus side, Gray will be back. The incoming freshman class also looks like one of the better ones Breschi has brought in.

Tough to say how well Carolina will reload in 2022. I think Breschi could definitely afford to bring in a proven midfielder or defenseman from the transfer portal.
jrn19

Re: North Carolina 2022

Post by jrn19 »

With Gray back and other members of the attack, plus Krieg and that monster recruiting class coming in they’ll be good next year; but doubt they’ll ever be as deep as they were in ‘21. This did kind of feel like The Year
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

I'm most concerned about if they'll be able to restock the midfield given the key losses outlined above and the relatively bare and inexperienced cupboard. Aside from Tillman (a converted attackman), Henry Schertzinger and Nicklaus to a lesser degree, it's hard to identify any underclass middies who saw the field. (Yes, I'm omitting the Cole Herbert experiment. He should certainly be a contributor next season but I'm still processing Breschi giving him such a large role down the stretch.) They have some quality defenders who played significant minutes at various points this season (Egan, Wright, Loughead), who should be able to lessen the sting of the departures of Bowen, Macri and (perhaps) Morris.
Finish Strong
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

Looks like Brian Cameron will be at RU next year.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Glad that Cameron joined RU .

Not to rub salt into any wounds but what was the story with Cameron at UNC.

Was a productive fresh and soph then began this past season as productive starter for several games before no longer starting . Was it just a matter of Breschi having too many talents to feed or just changing mix?

Any color on Cameron game. Like his size and efficiencies.
maddog9718

Post by maddog9718 »

bananas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:01 am Glad that Cameron joined RU .

Was a productive fresh and soph then began this past season as productive starter for several games before no longer starting . Was it just a matter of Breschi having too many talents to feed or just changing mix?

Tall, strong, good finisher, strong left tendency. Not an accident that he was a starter for most of the year on a very deep attack unit. i don't know his motive for transferring, but UNC was consistently playing ~5 attackmen last year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

maddog9718 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:53 am
bananas wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:01 am Glad that Cameron joined RU .

Tall, strong, good finisher, strong left tendency. Not an accident that he was a starter for most of the year on a very deep attack unit. i don't know his motive for transferring, but UNC was consistently playing ~5 attackmen last year.
Won’t his brother also be playing in NJ? Might be easier on the family with two kids playing in NJ and he gets to play against his brother for two years?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Alex Trippi put what looked like a thanks for the memories IG a few days ago. Also rumors are he heading to G’town
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

maddog9718 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:34 am RIP Graham Harden

https://obits.thetimesnews.com/obituari ... =199071207
Sad news … far too young.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

If you want to get a look at a lot of incoming freshmen for the 2022 season, make sure to tune in to the Under Armour All-American game on July 31st. Eight players coming to UNC were selected:

Dewey Egan, Torrey Pines (Calif.), Attack
Ty English, Culver (Ind.), Midfield
Johnny Schwarz, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.), Midfield
Tyler Schwarz, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.), LSM
Paul Barton, Sacred Heart Prep, (Calif.), Defense
Chase Mullins, St. Christopher’s (Va.), Face-off
Antonio DeMarco, Penn Charter (Pa.), Midfield
Ryan Levy, Taft (Conn.), Attack/Midfield

This group of freshmen will have a big impact on what I think will be a pretty underclassman heavy team in 2022.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10 10 2 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:55 pm If you want to get a look at a lot of incoming freshmen for the 2022 season, make sure to tune in to the Under Armour All-American game on July 31st. Eight players coming to UNC were selected:

Dewey Egan, Torrey Pines (Calif.), Attack
Ty English, Culver (Ind.), Midfield
Johnny Schwarz, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.), Midfield
Tyler Schwarz, Shoreham-Wading River (N.Y.), LSM
Paul Barton, Sacred Heart Prep, (Calif.), Defense
Chase Mullins, St. Christopher’s (Va.), Face-off
Antonio DeMarco, Penn Charter (Pa.), Midfield
Ryan Levy, Taft (Conn.), Attack/Midfield

This group of freshmen will have a big impact on what I think will be a pretty underclassman heavy team in 2022.
It's a very talented class but going to be tough keeping people happy and on board with the lure of the transfer portal.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

It's a very talented class but going to be tough keeping people happy and on board with the lure of the transfer portal.
That's certainly true but given the many roster holes that the Heels have to fill (any incoming transfers notwithstanding) there certainly should be plenty of opportunity for underclassmen to step in and play a significant role next season.
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/usa-insi ... pete-again
COLE HERBERT A DUAL THREAT
What was supposed to be the final possession of the USA U21 training camp was over almost as soon as it started. But instead of scoring a goal, Cole Herbert made a bead on a pass from the top of the restraining box. He then completed a leaping, one-handed interception.

“Drop it right there,” Nick Myers said after Herbert cleared the ball from the box. “We’re not ending on that.” The possession restarted from the endline.

Herbert’s play might sound foreign to those who better know him as an intimidating dodging threat from the midfield who won the C. Markland Kelly Award his junior at Calvert Hall and helped the Cardinals to three-consecutive MIAA titles. He finished his high school career with 124 points, yet the USA Team coaching staff was equally enamored by his ground ball play and physicality between the lines.

“Cole is in my opinion as good a short stick defender as he is an offensive player,” Nick Myers said. “So having him spend as much time defensively as he does offensively is important.”

The past three days in Sparks (Md.) was a microcosm on the increasing emphasis on “positionless lacrosse,” which is also a necessity stemming from the 23-man roster the team will have in Ireland. “With 23 guys and a 10 day tournament, you’re going to have to have some flexibility,” Myers said. “You have to be prepared for the next man up and a lot of times that means you have to wear different hats.”

Or different pinnies. Most of the midfielders switched between wearing white (offense) and blue (defense) between drills or sometimes during them.

“If you started on deense yesterday you start on offense today,” Myers clarified before the 6-on-6. Graham Bundy Jr., initially thought he was on defense, but made a quick wardrobe change and stuck a 10-yard step down to tie the score at 3-3.

Herbert’s interception came next. A dynamic wide receiver in high school who received offers from Air Force and Rutgers to play football in college, Herbert, who’s listed at 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds, has focused on lacrosse at North Carolina. He tallied eight points this spring on the Tar Heels’ final four team.

“It’s being a guy that when the time calls to make a play you’re ready to do it,” Myers said when asked to define what constituted a “dude,” a term of honor. “Whether it’s on a wing, whether it’s on a clear, whether it’s hot, whether there’s adversity, sometimes you just have to be a guy that understands I’m wearing the red, white and blue for a reason and I got to rely on my ability to make a big time play.”

Herbert fits that description.

“He’s been really impressive in my opinion,” Myers said. “He’s a guy that kind of jumps out at you. He reminds me a little bit of Dox Aitken from the last team that we had. A guy that can play pretty much anywhere on the field that we need him to.”
Even though I don't think Cole Herbert had a great year in 2021 (more turnovers than points), I think the skillset is there for him to succeed at the D1 level. With more experience and confidence, I think he will be competing for a spot on the 1st midfield in 2022.

The article also mentions Lance Tillman playing alongside Brennan O'Neill and Pat Kavanaugh at attack. Good luck to any opposing defense trying to cover that group.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

The Heels get their first '23 commitment from fogo Brady Wambach (Salisbury, Sweetlax): https://lacrossebucket.com/2021/09/09/s ... -carolina/.
Finish Strong
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

UNC will reload, I think they win the ACC this year and beat UVA in the final
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

I really like this team. Not too worried about the guys that left. The depth last year was undeniable and plenty of young guys saw the field and played big minutes. Freshman Paul Barton is an absolute beast..keep an eye out for him. Reminds me a lot of Will Bowen..but stronger
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Barton will definitely be in the mix for one of the starting spots at close defense. I thought his game looked similar to a Ryan Flanagan.

Noticed UNC has two 2023 commits from St. Anthony's in NY (Owen Duffy & Cole Aasheim). Glad Breschi is getting players from this powerhouse program again. Don't think there have been any since the Burke brothers.

Not too worried about any of the losses either EXCEPT the outside shooter role that Will Perry filled for many years. Not sure I saw anyone else last year that could shoot the lights out of the ball like he could. If any of the freshmen can do it they will be guaranteed a starting spot right away.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

UNC got a really good one in Owen Duffy. He will remind you of another former righty attackman from St. Anthony's, Dylan Malloy. He is not as big obviously, but can just bull his way to the goal and is very creative from x. Tough to start as a sophomore at St. A's. He was pretty dominant in the three games that I watched against Chaminade.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”