Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 am One little scheduling piece of info - very little - recently received my Alumni weekend promotion card in the mail - they have moved it up to March 27-29 I believe which I think should convey that a home game will be that Saturday. They did not say anything about the lacrosse game however but since its supposed to be an in person event - logic says a home game that week-end. That is the back-end of the students Spring Break and if memory serves me correct - it has recently been the week-end of the first BIG conference game.
there's a spring lax alumni weekend then there's regular university homecoming. 2 different things.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't know what this spring lax alumni thing is. I was referring to alumni weekend when there is the homecoming game usually in late April. Alumni weekend has been moved to March assuming due to COVID - fewer students fewer people. Therefore assuming a homecoming game that weekend. Maybe they disassociate alumni weekend from homecoming but that is not logical
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:05 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 am One little scheduling piece of info - very little - recently received my Alumni weekend promotion card in the mail - they have moved it up to March 27-29 I believe which I think should convey that a home game will be that Saturday. They did not say anything about the lacrosse game however but since its supposed to be an in person event - logic says a home game that week-end. That is the back-end of the students Spring Break and if memory serves me correct - it has recently been the week-end of the first BIG conference game.
It could be the UVA game.
It could be anything - and certainly typically when Hopkins and UVA played it was later in March but here are the following dates of the first BIG game since Hop joined
2015 - 3/28 Rutgers
2016 - 4/2 Rutgers
2017 - 3/31 Rutgers
2018 - 4/1 Rutgers
2019 - 3/30 Michigan
2020 - if played - 3/28 Michigan

So since the game would likely be played on 3/28 - 2 out of the last 6 years the first BIG game was or would have been played on 3/28 and only in 2016 was the UVA game closer to 3/28 than the first BIG game. In addition, the last Hopkins/UVA meeting was in Baltimore lending some thought the '22 edition could be in 'Hooville.

I think the alumni could be watching the Jays take on the Maize and Blue or the Scarlet Knights on 3/28
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:15 pm I don't know what this spring lax alumni thing is. I was referring to alumni weekend when there is the homecoming game usually in late April. Alumni weekend has been moved to March assuming due to COVID - fewer students fewer people. Therefore assuming a homecoming game that weekend. Maybe they disassociate alumni weekend from homecoming but that is not logical
Via social media channels it appears the school usually does a weekend every spring during the lacrosse season separate from homecoming where they honor lacrosse teams or maybe I'm wrong. The school should not be in a fetal position in 2022 over homecoming when the ravens are hosting 75k people down the street for football games all through 2021. Also moving homecoming forward heightens the chance for awful weather.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Brett Martin’s brother, Luke, just committed. 4-star defenseman from St. Anthony’s/Team 91. PM & K continue to recruit Long Island well.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:12 am Brett Martin’s brother, Luke, just committed. 4-star defenseman from St. Anthony’s/Team 91. PM & K continue to recruit Long Island well.
Interesting to note that the other committed '23 is Nicholas Bruckner of Ward Melville, brother of Jack Bruckner the Duke AA). Great to see the new recruiting team increase the focus on Suffolk County.
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Since this thread is often about many other things than lacrosse I thought I would offer the current "team" juggernaut at JHU - women's volleyball is administering redheaded stepchild beatings on a regular basis - Riding a 44 match streak the 2021 Lady Jays are 9-0 with 6 of the wins coming in at the 3-0 set variety - including a bagel job against top 5 Colorado College. To turn a phrase from the ol ball coach Spurrier "Pretty Good". Hope I didn't put in the announcer/compliment jinx.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Greetings 51; Since we're slightly off topic I have a question for you. On this blog several pages ago I read about the excellent academics of the Hopkins women's lacrosse team. Very impressive. I was wondering if the ladies on that team would have a better overall experience playing D 3 in the Centennial Conference? They'd be national contenders from the get go and could put together an OOC schedule against teams close to an academic par with them i.e. NESCAC for example.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This obsession from outsiders with wanting the Hopkins lacrosse programs to go to D3 is pathological and deranged. The women's team, while certainly no juggernaut, has 9 straight winning records (hasn't had a losing season since 2009) and made 6 of the last 7 NCAA tournaments. They are plenty competitive and in the 80-90th percentile of programs considering there are like 115 women's D1 teams. Meanwhile the women's team at big Pac-12 football school Cal went 2-16 last season. Maybe they should go back down to MCLA. Your idea to improve these "ladies" overall experience is to strip away all of their scholarship money, take them off TV and out of the Big Ten where they went 7-5 this past season, and then make them play Ursinus?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am This obsession from outsiders with wanting the Hopkins lacrosse programs to go to D3 is pathological and deranged. The women's team, while certainly no juggernaut, has 9 straight winning records (hasn't had a losing season since 2009) and made 6 of the last 7 NCAA tournaments. They are plenty competitive and in the 80-90th percentile of programs considering there are like 115 women's D1 teams. Meanwhile the women's team at big Pac-12 football school Cal went 2-16 last season. Maybe they should go back down to MCLA. Your idea to improve these "ladies" overall experience is to strip away all of their scholarship money, take them off TV and out of the Big Ten where they went 7-5 this past season, and then make them play Ursinus?
I wish Hobart could give scholarships for lacrosse but we see their ruling RE RIT and Union hockey. Not sure it’s true but been told the packages can be better on the whole for fin aid vs schollies at Bart the difference is you can’t buy a marginal student superstar athlete that way. (We’ve used the Geneva area scholarship effectively occasionally for Alex Love, Tim Booth and a few others but that’s one not 2-3).

But while I know some will reject this because…it’s Hopkins, I do know from a primary source the NCAA has no more interest in split conference participation for Hopkins than they do for Union hockey or any of the grandfathered program and if it helps their organizational cost cutting that NIL will force in their organization, they could eliminate Hops scholarship giving ability one day. So I do think the Hop AD and admin needs to think about that potential future and how they’d manage money to kids while maintaining D1 lacrosse as it’s totally different than what it is for you now. Not contingency planning for the NCAA jamming that decision on you would be poor planning on their part.
Say
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am This obsession from outsiders with wanting the Hopkins lacrosse programs to go to D3 is pathological and deranged. The women's team, while certainly no juggernaut, has 9 straight winning records (hasn't had a losing season since 2009) and made 6 of the last 7 NCAA tournaments. They are plenty competitive and in the 80-90th percentile of programs considering there are like 115 women's D1 teams. Meanwhile the women's team at big Pac-12 football school Cal went 2-16 last season. Maybe they should go back down to MCLA. Your idea to improve these "ladies" overall experience is to strip away all of their scholarship money, take them off TV and out of the Big Ten where they went 7-5 this past season, and then make them play Ursinus?
I wish Hobart could give scholarships for lacrosse but we see their ruling RE RIT and Union hockey. Not sure it’s true but been told the packages can be better on the whole for fin aid vs schollies at Bart the difference is you can’t buy a marginal student superstar athlete that way. (We’ve used the Geneva area scholarship effectively occasionally for Alex Love, Tim Booth and a few others but that’s one not 2-3).

But while I know some will reject this because…it’s Hopkins, I do know from a primary source the NCAA has no more interest in split conference participation for Hopkins than they do for Union hockey or any of the grandfathered program and if it helps their organizational cost cutting that NIL will force in their organization, they could eliminate Hops scholarship giving ability one day. So I do think the Hop AD and admin needs to think about that potential future and how they’d manage money to kids while maintaining D1 lacrosse as it’s totally different than what it is for you now. Not contingency planning for the NCAA jamming that decision on you would be poor planning on their part.
Say
I believe the contingency plan is that all the other sports go away.
At least that's what it used to be.
These days with Daniel's, who knows.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:28 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:14 am

Say
I believe the contingency plan is that all the other sports go away.
At least that's what it used to be.
These days with Daniel's, who knows.
Ha! Know a number of ex football players that wouldn’t like that and that’s the title 9 killer of all the sports even in D3 on sheer roster size.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

MrLax2U wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:26 am Greetings 51; Since we're slightly off topic I have a question for you. On this blog several pages ago I read about the excellent academics of the Hopkins women's lacrosse team. Very impressive. I was wondering if the ladies on that team would have a better overall experience playing D 3 in the Centennial Conference? They'd be national contenders from the get go and could put together an OOC schedule against teams close to an academic par with them i.e. NESCAC for example.
Umm. They beat PSU 3 times, Michigan twice and OSU twice last year. Played 3 one goal games with MD and finished with the same conference record as the Terps. They regularly make the NCAA tournament. Why the hell would they have any interest in playing D3?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

A fair point that the Hopkins administration should always be prepared for the issues surrounding having a DI sport (especially one where you are granfdfathered for offering scholarships) in an otherwise D3 athletic program because you never know when someone will get the proverbial bee in the bonnet. I would think right now the NCAA has alot more to worry about than whether Hop, Clarkson, Colorado College, RPI and St. Lawrence offer scholarships. If the scholarships went away and that was the primary issue - one would think the Ivy model is not far behind - some say Hop is headed that way already with MB's philanthropy.

I would think that has to be the solution these days vs kicking 20 other sports programs to the curb. Back in the 70's and 80's when this was a real thing and Hopkins led the court fight - yes I believe they would have told the D3 sports - too bad so sad - but not today.

BTW - it was not my intent to start up this debate by pointing out the success of the women's volleyball team - just kind of marveling at it. They might help out my roster size argument given that during the undefeated national championship season in '19 they never had enough players to hold an intrasquad scrimmage. Matt Troy must be on alot of school's short list the next time a vacancy comes up.

As far as Hopkins women's lacrosse and their experiences - I think it would be silly for me to offer an opinion.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wo ... ins-top-10
paywalled but
Johns Hopkins University has joined the top 10 of Times Higher Education’s student-focused US ranking for the first time.

The Baltimore institution ranks at joint ninth place in the Wall Street Journal/THE College Rankings 2022, on a par with Northwestern University. It swaps places with Cornell University, which drops two places to 11th. Johns Hopkins’ rise is driven by slight improvements in its scores in three of the four pillars underpinning the ranking – resources, outcomes and environment – showing how tight the margins are at the top of the table. Unlike the THE World University Rankings, which focus on universities’ research performance, the US table, which is fuelled by data from THE, measures institutions’ student engagement, student outcomes and learning environments.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

It is pathological.

In the 21st century:

2 national championships
4 NCAA Division I finals
7 NCAA Division I semifinals
18 of 20 NCAA Division I tournament appearances
2 B1G championships

Hopkins remains one of the most successful Division I college lacrosse programs in the nation. Results from the past decade don’t meet “traditional” Hopkins standards, but that is more indicative of Hopkins standards than anything else.

Our Division III teams are doing pretty well, too.

Time to face facts … not only is Johns Hopkins one of the best academic institutions in the world, Hopkins also has one of the most successful collegiate athletic programs in the nation.

Not opinions … just facts.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:06 am https://www.timeshighereducation.com/wo ... ins-top-10
paywalled but
Johns Hopkins University has joined the top 10 of Times Higher Education’s student-focused US ranking for the first time.

The Baltimore institution ranks at joint ninth place in the Wall Street Journal/THE College Rankings 2022, on a par with Northwestern University. It swaps places with Cornell University, which drops two places to 11th. Johns Hopkins’ rise is driven by slight improvements in its scores in three of the four pillars underpinning the ranking – resources, outcomes and environment – showing how tight the margins are at the top of the table. Unlike the THE World University Rankings, which focus on universities’ research performance, the US table, which is fuelled by data from THE, measures institutions’ student engagement, student outcomes and learning environments.
Good stuff. Excellent marketing material for the school.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Why is the discussion always about JHU going D-3. Why isn't the contingency plan to make the entire sports program D-1?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DALaxDad wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:51 pm Why is the discussion always about JHU going D-3. Why isn't the contingency plan to make the entire sports program D-1?
I think they would need a bigger stadium for that. There are a lot of resources you have to have to go D-1 across the board.
Doubtful Hopkins would go that route. They're a small school and want to stay that way.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DALaxDad wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:51 pm Why is the discussion always about JHU going D-3. Why isn't the contingency plan to make the entire sports program D-1?
When the NCAA was quasi-considering eliminating exemptions for Division III programs having a Division I sport, I believe a spokesperson for Hopkins stated that moving all sports to Division I would be a consideration.

Hopkins is actually large enough for Division I. Doubt Hopkins would ever build large Division I facilities for football or basketball, but there are local stadiums and arenas that could be leased.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”