Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Taliban reclaims Afghanistan

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:45 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:51 am
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:44 am Potential inheritance?
He's older than I am, fer chrissakes. ;)
From what I understand, which ain't much, Salty had at least one, maybe multiple successful businesses post leaving service...but some folks have had inheritances as well (parents died, grandparents died, whatever) and that wealth provided the capital for home purchases, businesses, etc. Most people don't have that situation.

I wasn't throwing shade at him in specific (I've assumed he's "earned" his), my point was that having a lot of cash/capital was the point. Just noting that having lots of "income" or 'in coming cash' can come from one's own sweat and ingenuity and luck...or that of someone else through inheritance.

Salty happened to mention his dad's business, being run by his brother, which reminded me of the second way people become wealthy, inheritance.
While it might be a tough super low margin business now his parents also owned a grocer at a point in time (early 60s) when A&P was the single largest employer in this country....
There's certainly been a lot of family wealth built through grocery; I know quite a few such. The best are very good retailers, tough on the numbers, showmen in the stores. Population growth lifted all boats though, so only those who badly stumbled failed...others did very, very well.

But for a long time, it's been a very sleepy business, dominated by old white guys with very few exceptions, and even now is frustratingly slow moving. For those that faltered, exits were very lucrative as consolidation has occurred. Headed to grocery technology conference in Vegas this Sunday and next week, Groceryshop.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:53 pm
From what I understand, which ain't much, Salty had at least one, maybe multiple successful businesses post leaving service...but some folks have had inheritances as well (parents died, grandparents died, whatever) and that wealth provided the capital for home purchases, businesses, etc. Most people don't have that situation.

I wasn't throwing shade at him in specific (I've assumed he's "earned" his), my point was that having a lot of cash/capital was the point. Just noting that having lots of "income" or 'in coming cash' can come from one's own sweat and ingenuity and luck...or that of someone else through inheritance.

Salty happened to mention his dad's business, being run by his brother, which reminded me of the second way people become wealthy, inheritance.
While it might be a tough super low margin business now his parents also owned a grocer at a point in time (early 60s) when A&P was the single largest employer in this country....
There's certainly been a lot of family wealth built through grocery; I know quite a few such. The best are very good retailers, tough on the numbers, showmen in the stores. Population growth lifted all boats though, so only those who badly stumbled failed...others did very, very well.

But for a long time, it's been a very sleepy business, dominated by old white guys with very few exceptions, and even now is frustratingly slow moving. For those that faltered, exits were very lucrative as consolidation has occurred. Headed to grocery technology conference in Vegas this Sunday and next week, Groceryshop.
You talkin about Danny Wegman and his families empire? There is not a more ass kissing politically correct bunch of people on the planet. About a year ago the dumb clucks in the wegmans empire by my house decided to move the bottle return machines outside of the store in the open air. Last week there was about 5000 thousand wasps buzzing over the machines. When they first made this move i asked the store manager what he would do in the fall when the bees came out. They had it all figured out... :D No they didn't, i went there this morning to cash in my bottles. Machines closed do to a wasp infestation. This is the same dumb ass liberal mindset that runs rampant on this forum. A bunch of college educated dumb f***s that don't know jack chit about bees. Here is a hint to all of you dumb ass liberals and anybody else that does not understand bees. These wasps are very docile and non aggressive at this time of year. When you go swatting at them and pissing them off they will light your ass up. I use to shut down the fountain equipment at seabreeze park every year at this time. I use to have hundreds of wasps buzzing around me and even had them landing on my nose. I did my thing and they did theirs. i was never stung once in ten years. Why?? because I had enough respect for them not to piss them off. I tell my wife the same thing today when they show up at her hummingbird feeders. Leave them alone and they wont bother you. You wanna go piss them off then you do so at your own risk. Funny to me how so many of you brave folks are scared chitless about a wasp landing on your arm. :roll: Okay my thread hijack is over.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:38 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 am While reading the financial opinions here is interesting... Ain't it time to end the thread hi jack and get back to the thread topic?
:D +1

Apparently the thread topic has had waning interest...already.

Re Salty's strategy, sounds to me like his current financial position was driven by his income (or potentially inheritance), not whether he paid interest on assets like a home. In other words, a lot of in coming $. But yes, spending and purchasing within that income. But a lot of income. A lot of wealthy folks run beat up cars into the ground, wear 30 year old rumpled suits etc...don't spend on frivolity.

Which doesn't mean that the best strategy for most has been to avoid mortgage interest...interesting discussion, though, on how these recent tax changes have reduced dramatically the plus side of mortgages for many.
Here you go, full circle. Using an old playbook or something that worked in one circumstance and a one size fits all strategy (cradle refers to old wars all the time) isn't a very good strategy to apply in the future without considering circumstances and new variables.

Brought it back.
My recent comparison to conflicts of decades ago are not made for snips and giggles. I day them to reinforce the saying of with we can't remember the past we are condemned to repeat it. To get back to Joe Bidens eff up in Afghanistan here is my 64 thousand dollar question. What advice did Lloyd Austin give to Joe Biden? It could be the reason that Austin took a pass on testifying next to Winkin Blinken? He might be forced to telling America how Biden ignored the advice of his own people. The navy folks call it damage control. Eventually Austin will have testify under oath. Wonder what he will have to say?
Well you aren't the only one. Everyone is aware of the past, they almost all tend to be military historians including the older guard politicians (not so sure the ones under 45-50 are the same). There isn't anything we'd discuss here that was present in their minds during their decision making process and I'm sure they looked at the current variables and distinguished between prior situations and current ones. Even if we think these cats are whatever that sort of analysis surely doesn't give any of them enough credit.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Share some insight if you can. My dad was a produce manager at A&P out of college in the 60s for a couple of years and saw the decline first hand which is how I know anything about it (little learning from business last 10-20yrs).

Hope it's not, the super well backed Instacart is driving us all into bankruptcy while continuing to not have a clear path to profitability before EV dominates the market in reality, not Doc terms. The way I understand it Amazon is still having a ton of operational challenges executing on their plans for Whole Paycheck, er, Foods.

Know a family office that built their wealth in portfolio companies and CRE heavy through a family printing business up in Connecticut. A point of sale lender in LA is backed by a $4Bn family office of the founders of Hot Pockets, which makes me want to burn the roof of my mouth again like I did in college and head up a class action lawsuit against them. A friend in college's father invested the top for ketchup squeeze bottles and is worth like $100MM off that. You hit it well earlier it's how cash flows are re-invested that matter not debt or existing assets.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:44 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:45 am While reading the financial opinions here is interesting... Ain't it time to end the thread hi jack and get back to the thread topic?

Re Salty's strategy, sounds to me like his current financial position was driven by his income (or potentially inheritance), not whether he paid interest on assets like a home. In other words, a lot of in coming $. But yes, spending and purchasing within that income. But a lot of income. A lot of wealthy folks run beat up cars into the ground, wear 30 year old rumpled suits etc...don't spend on frivolity.

Which doesn't mean that the best strategy for most has been to avoid mortgage interest...interesting discussion, though, on how these recent tax changes have reduced dramatically the plus side of mortgages for many.
Here you go, full circle. Using an old playbook or something that worked in one circumstance and a one size fits all strategy (cradle refers to old wars all the time) isn't a very good strategy to apply in the future without considering circumstances and new variables.

Brought it back.
My recent comparison to conflicts of decades ago are not made for snips and giggles. I day them to reinforce the saying of with we can't remember the past we are condemned to repeat it. To get back to Joe Bidens eff up in Afghanistan here is my 64 thousand dollar question. What advice did Lloyd Austin give to Joe Biden? It could be the reason that Austin took a pass on testifying next to Winkin Blinken? He might be forced to telling America how Biden ignored the advice of his own people. The navy folks call it damage control. Eventually Austin will have testify under oath. Wonder what he will have to say?
Well you aren't the only one. Everyone is aware of the past, they almost all tend to be military historians including the older guard politicians (not so sure the ones under 45-50 are the same). There isn't anything we'd discuss here that was present in their minds during their decision making process and I'm sure they looked at the current variables and distinguished between prior situations and current ones. Even if we think these cats are whatever that sort of analysis surely doesn't give any of them enough credit.
That doesn't mean that the comparison to past failures are not relevant and should not be forgotten. When I bring up the surrender of the French at Dien Bien Phu I don't do so for snips and giggles. The french underestimated their adversary and suffered a humiliating defeat. If that scenario doesn't sounds somewhat familiar to you then there is nothing left for me to say. The french could have sent in reinforcements. The french could have carried on the fight. The french finally realized the futility of the fight.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I have not heard any opinions here about Gen Milley. Was he right or wrong? What he is alleged to have done will bring controversy to the US Military for a long time.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Share some insight if you can. My dad was a produce manager at A&P out of college in the 60s for a couple of years and saw the decline first hand which is how I know anything about it (little learning from business last 10-20yrs).

Hope it's not, the super well backed Instacart is driving us all into bankruptcy while continuing to not have a clear path to profitability before EV dominates the market in reality, not Doc terms. The way I understand it Amazon is still having a ton of operational challenges executing on their plans for Whole Paycheck, er, Foods.

Know a family office that built their wealth in portfolio companies and CRE heavy through a family printing business up in Connecticut. A point of sale lender in LA is backed by a $4Bn family office of the founders of Hot Pockets, which makes me want to burn the roof of my mouth again like I did in college and head up a class action lawsuit against them. A friend in college's father invested the top for ketchup squeeze bottles and is worth like $100MM off that. You hit it well earlier it's how cash flows are re-invested that matter not debt or existing assets.
Yes, A&P, if I recall correctly, went on a buying binge (lots of cashed out independents), leveraged with cash, but failed to upgrade the stores in the hypermarket phase of larger stores. Not a great retailer at that point.

Cradle's Wegman's is one of the more positive stories of a family run, successful grocer...really great retailer, notwithstanding some store manger not "understanding bees". But lots of smaller ones have been successful...though, yes, it's a challenging business in the age of Amazon willing to undercut prices.

Yes, Instacart is playing the VC-hyper fueled 'Amazon' game of not needing to make money as they grow. I don't think they're hurting the grocers yet, as they're actually carrying the losses from building out delivery systems...however, and it's a huge however, the grocers are giving up their direct shopper relationship and insights to what looks like ultimately will be their competitor, no matter how much they say otherwise. They're already building 'dark' store warehouses, which, if they wish, can simply siphon off volume from their grocer 'partners'/victims. Instacart has begun to capture a share, rapidly growing, of the CPG advertising dollars that fuel the grocer bottomline (that's where the profit is). That's going to accelerate as Instacart mines the value of those consumer insights. It's also why they're talking with us...that said, they're struggling mightily with some of their technology capabilities, as are most in the industry. We're also partnering with what I think may actually be the better partner for grocers in the long run, a private company heavily in the guts of helping grocers mine that shopper data, now introducing e-commerce capabilities, pick-up and delivery as an extension. As we actually know far more about a shopper's wants, needs, desires than any of these do, because of how we help personalize their meal planning and shopping experience, rather than just creepily watching behaviors, this has value to both consumer and grocer and CPG's.

But Instacart should indeed be scaring most grocers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:21 pm

You talkin about Danny Wegman and his families empire? There is not a more ass kissing politically correct bunch of people on the planet. About a year ago the dumb clucks in the wegmans empire by my house decided to move the bottle return machines outside of the store in the open air. Last week there was about 5000 thousand wasps buzzing over the machines. When they first made this move i asked the store manager what he would do in the fall when the bees came out. They had it all figured out... :D No they didn't, i went there this morning to cash in my bottles. Machines closed do to a wasp infestation. This is the same dumb ass liberal mindset that runs rampant on this forum. A bunch of college educated dumb f***s that don't know jack chit about bees. Here is a hint to all of you dumb ass liberals and anybody else that does not understand bees. These wasps are very docile and non aggressive at this time of year. When you go swatting at them and pissing them off they will light your ass up. I use to shut down the fountain equipment at seabreeze park every year at this time. I use to have hundreds of wasps buzzing around me and even had them landing on my nose. I did my thing and they did theirs. i was never stung once in ten years. Why?? because I had enough respect for them not to tick them off. I tell my wife the same thing today when they show up at her hummingbird feeders. Leave them alone and they wont bother you. You wanna go tick them off then you do so at your own risk. Funny to me how so many of you brave folks are scared chitless about a wasp landing on your arm. :roll: Okay my thread hijack is over.
I didn’t know him but my dad did and said good things about Danny.

To this day Wegmans is the best grocer I’ve experienced.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:35 pm I have not heard any opinions here about Gen Milley. Was he right or wrong? What he is alleged to have done will bring controversy to the US Military for a long time.
Given that there were, apparently, 15 US people on each of those calls, and the readouts were provided across the intelligence services, nothing was being done outside of process, much less surreptitiously.

And they followed a similar effort by DoD Secretary Esper, all appropriate and above board.

As to the actual merits of the calls, assuring the Chinese military that the Us would not be making any wild eyed aggressive moves during a period of fraught political upheaval in the US, a fear that US intelligence had assessed the Chinese may well have had, indeed a concern Milley himself thought was legitimate to be concerned about, the objective was, appropriately, to avoid a catastrophic misunderstanding or misreading between the super powers. Likewise, the warning not to try to take advantage of the situation, as indeed the US political leadership might well over react, seizing on any excuse.

In other words, you chill China. We good for now. Let's stay good.

Appropriate.

Now, as to the reality that we had a POTUS who actually posed that sort of danger, and so many knew and were discussing that such was the case, that's indeed the actual 'story' here.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:13 pm

Brought it back.
That doesn't mean that the comparison to past failures are not relevant and should not be forgotten. When I bring up the surrender of the French at Dien Bien Phu I don't do so for snips and giggles. The french underestimated their adversary and suffered a humiliating defeat. If that scenario doesn't sounds somewhat familiar to you then there is nothing left for me to say. The french could have sent in reinforcements. The french could have carried on the fight. The french finally realized the futility of the fight.
Yeah you say it as if presuming no one is aware, considers it thinks about this and you’re adding some insight. Not everyone in politics (and by your way of describing it senior military leadership) is oblivious, through less knuckleheads. That was the last administration these guys may make bad choices or value the incorrect priorities but they are aware and thoughtful.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:50 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Yes, A&P, if I recall correctly, went on a buying binge (lots of cashed out independents), leveraged with cash, but failed to upgrade the stores in the hypermarket phase of larger stores. Not a great retailer at that point.

Cradle's Wegman's is one of the more positive stories of a family run, successful grocer...really great retailer, notwithstanding some store manger not "understanding bees". But lots of smaller ones have been successful...though, yes, it's a challenging business in the age of Amazon willing to undercut prices.

Yes, Instacart is playing the VC-hyper fueled 'Amazon' game of not needing to make money as they grow. I don't think they're hurting the grocers yet, as they're actually carrying the losses from building out delivery systems...however, and it's a huge however, the grocers are giving up their direct shopper relationship and insights to what looks like ultimately will be their competitor, no matter how much they say otherwise. They're already building 'dark' store warehouses, which, if they wish, can simply siphon off volume from their grocer 'partners'/victims. Instacart has begun to capture a share, rapidly growing, of the CPG advertising dollars that fuel the grocer bottomline (that's where the profit is). That's going to accelerate as Instacart mines the value of those consumer insights. It's also why they're talking with us...that said, they're struggling mightily with some of their technology capabilities, as are most in the industry. We're also partnering with what I think may actually be the better partner for grocers in the long run, a private company heavily in the guts of helping grocers mine that shopper data, now introducing e-commerce capabilities, pick-up and delivery as an extension. As we actually know far more about a shopper's wants, needs, desires than any of these do, because of how we help personalize their meal planning and shopping experience, rather than just creepily watching behaviors, this has value to both consumer and grocer and CPG's.

But Instacart should indeed be scaring most grocers.
Wonder if there’s a play rolling up collectives and indoor farmers markets and applying scale there on more perishable goods? Corporate version of cloud kitchens or other less front facing/marketing oriented retail.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm

You talkin about Danny Wegman and his families empire? There is not a more ass kissing politically correct bunch of people on the planet. About a year ago the dumb clucks in the wegmans empire by my house decided to move the bottle return machines outside of the store in the open air. Last week there was about 5000 thousand wasps buzzing over the machines. When they first made this move i asked the store manager what he would do in the fall when the bees came out. They had it all figured out... :D No they didn't, i went there this morning to cash in my bottles. Machines closed do to a wasp infestation. This is the same dumb ass liberal mindset that runs rampant on this forum. A bunch of college educated dumb f***s that don't know jack chit about bees. Here is a hint to all of you dumb ass liberals and anybody else that does not understand bees. These wasps are very docile and non aggressive at this time of year. When you go swatting at them and pissing them off they will light your ass up. I use to shut down the fountain equipment at seabreeze park every year at this time. I use to have hundreds of wasps buzzing around me and even had them landing on my nose. I did my thing and they did theirs. i was never stung once in ten years. Why?? because I had enough respect for them not to tick them off. I tell my wife the same thing today when they show up at her hummingbird feeders. Leave them alone and they wont bother you. You wanna go tick them off then you do so at your own risk. Funny to me how so many of you brave folks are scared chitless about a wasp landing on your arm. :roll: Okay my thread hijack is over.

https://www.rochebros.com/

Pretty good from my limited experience
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:23 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:59 pm

https://www.rochebros.com/

Pretty good from my limited experience
Better than Stop & Shop (who might've been acquired a few years back not sure)? If I saw a pic of the owners I might not take my kids with me into a store...they got some "hey kid, you want some candy, why don't you come back to my video game lair and let me snap some fun shirtless photos like they did in different strokes to arnold back in the day" look to their smiles.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:02 pm

Brought it back.
Yeah you say it as if presuming no one is aware, considers it thinks about this and you’re adding some insight. Not everyone in politics (and by your way of describing it senior military leadership) is oblivious, through less knuckleheads. That was the last administration these guys may make bad choices or value the incorrect priorities but they are aware and thoughtful.
My question that has not been answered yet is what advice did Joe Biden receive from his top advisors? IMO and I am only guessing, Joe probably ignored their advice and went with his gut. Joe might have thought that lucky rabbits foot he has in his pocket was really going to work. I would honestly like to know what advice Lloyd Austin gave the POTUS.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:00 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:35 pm I have not heard any opinions here about Gen Milley. Was he right or wrong? What he is alleged to have done will bring controversy to the US Military for a long time.
Given that there were, apparently, 15 US people on each of those calls, and the readouts were provided across the intelligence services, nothing was being done outside of process, much less surreptitiously.

And they followed a similar effort by DoD Secretary Esper, all appropriate and above board.

As to the actual merits of the calls, assuring the Chinese military that the Us would not be making any wild eyed aggressive moves during a period of fraught political upheaval in the US, a fear that US intelligence had assessed the Chinese may well have had, indeed a concern Milley himself thought was legitimate to be concerned about, the objective was, appropriately, to avoid a catastrophic misunderstanding or misreading between the super powers. Likewise, the warning not to try to take advantage of the situation, as indeed the US political leadership might well over react, seizing on any excuse.

Appropriate.

Now, as to the reality that we had a POTUS who actually posed that sort of danger, and so many knew and were discussing that such was the case, that's indeed the actual 'story' here.
My only concern is did Gen Milley take it upon himself to sidestep the chain of command? He should be put on a leave of absence until any allegations are sorted out. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. The seriousness of the allegations deserve to be looked in to.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Brought it back.
My question that has not been answered yet is what advice did Joe Biden receive from his top advisors? IMO and I am only guessing, Joe probably ignored their advice and went with his gut. Joe might have thought that lucky rabbits foot he has in his pocket was really going to work. I would honestly like to know what advice Lloyd Austin gave the POTUS.
If I wanted to go back a little and check do you think I would find more than one post of yours that criticizes decisions while also pointing out some long ago situation and making assumptions not in fact stiuplated to or that would be part of the record?

When you speak of the French that doesn't even tell me if you are critiquing the commender in chief there, military leadership or their tactical folks (boots on the ground), it's just a criticism from the backseat.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:28 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Brought it back.
If I wanted to go back a little and check do you think I would find more than one post of yours that criticizes decisions while also pointing out some long ago situation and making assumptions not in fact stiuplated to or that would be part of the record?

When you speak of the French that doesn't even tell me if you are critiquing the commender in chief there, military leadership or their tactical folks (boots on the ground), it's just a criticism from the backseat.
I apologize if my point was too obtuse for you understand. It was nothing less than our leadership should learn from the mistakes of those in the past. The french were arrogant enough to think that the viet Minh forces could never defeat them. That is how they wound up surrounded with no escape possible. Sorta kinda like situation we found ourselves in at the Kabul airport. Surrounded by a bunch of Taliban fighters we thought could never beat us. The only reason our forces did escape was because the Taliban allowed us to. It was huge fun for them watching us leave with our heads down and our tails between our legs. As the French were humiliated in Vietnam so was America humiliated in Afghanistan. That was my entire point. It did not have to end that way for the US in Afghanistan. Maybe it was poetic justice that it did happen that way. So do you think any lessons were learned here by the people that run this country?I sure don't think any lessons were learned. We certainly do suck at nation building.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

You could not be more wrong. We had no inheritance until recently. We invested our income rather than pissing it away on interest (consumer & mortgage). We took mortgages as necessary to buy our homes, made our primary investment paying them off, then invested our income elsewhere. Used cars (& trucks, boats & airplanes, not beat up). Lots of neat toys, fun travel & vacations. Un-rumpled uniforms & govt issued flight suits. The investments elsewhere grew exponentially, especially the biotech holdings.

Each home purchase was a more valuable property. We secured relatively favorable mortgage terms by assuming, getting a shorter term &/or putting down a big chunk. Not having to pay interest allowed us to make other diverse investments.

I'm not recommending against a mortgage to allow home ownership. Home equity is a source of most individuals wealth. I'm recommending analyzing the terms of your mortgage carefully. Think of paying down your home as purchasing more equity in your home. Think of the money you invest in paying down your mortgage as a tax free CD growing at the % rate of your mortgage rate. It has to be a pretty good investment to get a guaranteed tax free ROI which exceeds your mortgage rate, even at today's low rates. Tax deferred instruments might be a worthy alternative. The tax changes since 2017 make this strategy even more sound.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Appropriate.

... all just right wing (trumpnista) spin. :roll: Milley is fine. Trumpnista trying to deflect from the real story.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
old salt

Post by old salt »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm

Appropriate.

My only concern is did Gen Milley take it upon himself to sidestep the chain of command? He should be put on a leave of absence until any allegations are sorted out. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. The seriousness of the allegations deserve to be looked in to.
Vindmann criticized Milley for jumping the chain of command. Said he should resign. Can't make this stuff up. :lol:

If Milley raised the calls with Woodward or Costa, he brought this on himself.
If somebody else was the source, they should have gotten Milley's side of the story.

Return to “POLITICS”