Beef with the polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: Early 2022 Rankings 10-6

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:05 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:43 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm I'd move Maryland, FLA and Loyola out of the top 10. Although I don't know who would take their places.
Nope, can't do that, gotta tell who you'd replace them with. ;)
Come on man? You know the first rule about comments on Loyola is that DR.T doesn't comment on Loyola...nope, wait...The first rule is always slow play Loyola when talking about rankings...

I really dont know who to swap with those schools. I think there are about 6 top teams, of which 3 are above the other 3. Cant we just do the Top 6 in polls going forward?
So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame
@inthe8m

Re: Beef with the polls

Post by @inthe8m »

Not to jump too far ahead, but this means that ND is going to be in the Top 5. What a joke!

As far as the 6-10, I would have gone with the order below if you were going to hold my feet to the fire and confine me to those 5 teams.

6 Duke
7 Loyola
8 Maryland
9 Stony Brook
10 Florida

And, Maryland, SB, and Florida are all too high even at 8, 9, 10. SB and Florida both lost the cores of the teams from last year. Maryland was not good last year and it is questionable as to whether or not "Reese crushed the transfer portal" as the transfers are not all that impressive (really like Cordingley) and the fact she needed so many transfers speaks volumes to the talent she has recruited.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:42 pm
So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame
Based on the last 5 remaining, I predict ...

BC - champs until they lose
UNC
Syracuse
Northwestern
Notre Dame
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm I'd move...Loyola out of the top 10.
lol--Doc's doing the ol' reverse jinx on the Hounds. You can set you watch by it. Good clean fun.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:08 pm
So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame

UNC
Syracuse
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Yeah. I agree with the top 4. not sure where I would have the golden domers. Maybe I amend my top 6 to be top 4...It would make voting so much easier.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm
I'd move Maryland, FLA and Loyola out of the top 10. Although I don't know who would take their places.
James Madison? They return just about everyone according to the writeup and they finished the season strong.

I think Stanford is a dark horse. While they flamed out against Denver in the tourney, they return most of their offense and the best 2020s (Humphrey, Jaques, and Geoghan) that they signed all redshirted while still being able to practice with the team. Jay Browne had 9 G and 22 A through 7 games before suffering a season ending injury. If she is back, they could be great on offense.

I am not sure there are three from 11-15 that you can move up as Denver, Princeton, and UVA have a lot of questions to be answered.
OuttaNowhereWregget

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:06 pm Not to jump too far ahead, but this means that ND is going to be in the Top 5. What a joke!
Same old story every year--hyped to the hilt, can't compete against the iron of the ACC and out of gas by the 2nd round of the NCAA's. Not even sure I have them in 6-10.
@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:06 pm As far as the 6-10, I would have gone with the order below if you were going to hold my feet to the fire and confine me to those 5 teams.

6 Duke
7 Loyola
8 Maryland
9 Stony Brook
10 Florida

And, Maryland, SB, and Florida are all too high even at 8, 9, 10. SB and Florida both lost the cores of the teams from last year. Maryland was not good last year and it is questionable as to whether or not "Reese crushed the transfer portal" as the transfers are not all that impressive (really like Cordingley) and the fact she needed so many transfers speaks volumes to the talent she has recruited.
Standing ovation for italicized section. Well said, 8m.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:14 pm
So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame

UNC
Syracuse
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Yeah. I agree with the top 4. not sure where I would have the golden domers. Maybe I amend my top 6 to be top 4...It would make voting so much easier.
ND has a lot working against them, IMO. They had a ton of girls who took extra year thinking 2020 would be ND's year and it wasn't. So, they did not have much development of younger players. Add in that the HC does not seem to be much of an Xs and Os coach and that players simply do not develop while at ND and you have all the ingredients for a down year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:19 pm
I am not sure there are three from 11-15 that you can move up as Denver, Princeton, and UVA have a lot of questions to be answered.
I think Princeton is going to be good. We have no way of knowing about them and Penn. Great programs, great coaches, smart players. I'd take Princeton over UVA. At least the Godmother has learned to adapt to the talent she has. Not sure I can say that about J. Myers
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:26 pm
I think Princeton is going to be good. We have no way of knowing about them and Penn. Great programs, great coaches, smart players. I'd take Princeton over UVA. At least the Godmother has learned to adapt to the talent she has. Not sure I can say that about J. Myers
I am right there with you. Not sure there is another program out there that does less with more than UVA. It is just hard to feel confident about any Ivy League teams as they have had the extended layoff from competition.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:32 pm
I am right there with you. Not sure there is another program out there that does less with more than UVA. It is just hard to feel confident about any Ivy League teams as they have had the extended layoff from competition.
They get really high level recruits...most dont reach their potential. If it was one or two, dont blame the staff, but....

In my "neck of the woods", the girls that dream about going to UVA and get there are likely to quit before finishing 4 years. Not sure if it is the "ticket" mentality of getting there and then falling out of love with the program/coach/other, but we see alot of private school girls that get there and then realize that they have to work hard and decide, well, maybe I dont want to do this anymore. I am sure there are examples that are not like that, but with one specific private, we see alot of dropping out of programs .
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

I’d put Duke and ND right there with them.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

hmmm wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:54 pm
I’d put Duke and ND right there with them.
No arguments here. I will paint with a very broad brush and say that it is a combination of the coaches and the propensity for those schools to attract players from private schools.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:06 pm Not to jump too far ahead, but this means that ND is going to be in the Top 5. What a joke!

As far as the 6-10, I would have gone with the order below if you were going to hold my feet to the fire and confine me to those 5 teams.

6 Duke
7 Loyola
8 Maryland
9 Stony Brook
10 Florida

AGree on all of your points
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Late to the party but I see ND taking a big step back. Likely falling out of the top 10. Last year was their year supposedly after looking good in the short 2019 season. Loss of Lynch, Aldave and key defenders will hurt. Will lean on untested young players in tough ACC and coach has no clue - just ask the players. They also brought in somewhat of an unknown new offensive coordinator. Ended the year last year looking terrible. Running clock to both UNC and BC.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

ND does still return Wolack (A), Ahern (A), Choma (M), & Howe (A), but I don't think it's enough to offset the losses in the midfield and on defense (Aldave, Buchanan, Masinko, Lynch, Roe, etc.)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Early 2022 Rankings 1-5

1. BOSTON COLLEGE
2021 record: 18-3 (8-2 ACC)
Last seen: Hoisting the national championship trophy for the first time in program history.
Initial forecast: Charlotte North, the next transcendent lacrosse star, is running it back for Boston College. North set the lacrosse world on fire in 2021. It wasn’t a week of lacrosse unless North had a viral highlight command conversation and attention, but she’s more than just a flashy superstar. There’s substance here, too, evidenced by her consistent presence on the draw and her ability to take pressure and attention of her teammates on the offensive end. The Tewaaraton Award winner makes the Eagles an instant title favorite, an opinion bolstered by the return of Rachel Hall, who was excellent down the stretch between the pipes. Belle Smith also appears primed to take the next step, with the ever-reliable Jenn Medjid providing even more offensive punch. One of the most exciting teams in the sport’s history, Boston College is ready for a repeat run.

2. NORTH CAROLINA
2021 record: 20-1 (9-0 ACC)
Last seen: The national championship favorites lost 11-10 to Boston College in the NCAA semifinals.
Initial forecast: North Carolina was No. 1 in every single poll until the final one of the 2021 season. Jenny Levy constructed arguably the deepest roster in the sport, but an inspired Boston College team topped its ACC rival en route to winning the national championship. That marked the final game in the stellar career of Katie Hoeg, the program’s all-time points leader. Kerrigan Miller, Katie Bourque and Kayla Wood also called it a career. As always, though, reinforcements await. Expect a larger role for Caitlyn Wurzburger, who began to come into her own midway through last season. Jamie Ortega is now the unquestioned offensive leader with support from veterans Scottie Rose Growney, Tayler Warehime and Ally Mastroianni. The defense will again be stifling, led by fifth year Emma Trenchard and athletic goalie Taylor Moreno. Oh, and Levy once again worked her magic on the transfer portal, bringing in Sam Geiersbach for the attack and both Andie Aldave and Olivia Dirks for the midfield. There isn’t a hole on the roster, meaning the Tar Heels are once again in the championship mix.

3. SYRACUSE
2021 record: 17-4 (8-2 ACC)
Last seen: A national title game loss to Boston College, a team it had beat twice during the regular season.
Initial forecast: What a 2021 season for the Orange. It can’t be overlooked just how remarkable a job Gary Gait did after losing Emily Hawryschuk for the season in February and then losing Megan Carney for the rest of the year later in the spring. That left ample opportunities for freshman Emma Ward to burst onto the national scene, and the Tyrrell sisters (Meaghan and Emma) were just as impactful. Sam Swart had a breakout campaign, as did Sierra Cockerille, and every single one of the aforementioned players is back. That means new head coach Kayla Treanor must find ways for everyone to be involved, as there are significantly more mouths to feed now than when last season began. The offense will carry this team, but the defense isn’t a slouch, either. Sarah Cooper is one of the best at the backer position, but she loses talented running mates in Ella Simkins, Lila Nazarian and Kerry Defliese — not to mention longtime goalkeeper Asa Goldstock. Even with holes to fill on defense, have confidence that Syracuse will remain firmly in the NCAA title picture. The offense has simply too many weapons to contain.

4. NORTHWESTERN
2021 record: 15-1 (11-0 Big Ten)
Last seen: Losing to national runner-up Syracuse 21-13 in the NCAA semifinals.
Initial forecast: Izzy Scane is still on campus. That alone means Northwestern is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Running mates Sammy Mueller and Lindsey McKone won’t be back, but Scane will still have an invaluable sidekick in Lauren Gilbert. The two combined for 164 goals in 2021, making a 1-2 punch that not a single defense in the country enjoyed preparing for. It’s not abundantly clear what went wrong for the Wildcats last spring. Their offense was tops in the nation (20.12 goals per game), and while the defense lagged a bit behind, a 10.88 goals against average wasn’t the problem. Northwestern also controlled 58.8 percent of draws, good for ninth nationally. The only issue, and it wasn’t a fault of the program, is that the Big Ten only played conference foes during the regular season. Because Northwestern was a clear cut above the rest of its conference peers, it wasn’t tested until it played Duke in the NCAA quarterfinals — and even Duke was a far cry from that Syracuse team that ended Northwestern’s season. A normal schedule this spring could work wonders for the Wildcats.

5. NOTRE DAME
2021 record: 11-7 (5-5 ACC)
Last seen: Eventual NCAA champion Boston College throttled the Irish 21-10 in the quarterfinals.
Initial forecast: One program staple is gone, but two others return to South Bend. Andie Aldave, an All-American caliber midfielder, is using her grad year at North Carolina, but Maddie Howe (148 career goals) and Bridget Deehan (45.3 save percentage in 2021) are back to provide steady leadership. Deehan’s defense will look a bit different, though Emma Schettig, Diana Kelly and Meaghan Scutaro bring valuable experience. The Irish’s top two draw options — Aldave and Savannah Buchanan — need replacing, but the Notre Dame offense is promising. Kasey Choma and Madison Ahern, combined with Howe, are a formidable trio with valuable experience together. New offensive coordinator Jenna Slowey joins the fray after leading the Richmond offense. Under Slowey, the Spiders offense broke three single-season records, including draw controls (298, 2017) points (455, 2019) and goals (314, 2019). Notre Dame is at the top of the second tier of ACC powers, with what looks like a clear gap between the tier of Boston College, North Carolina and Syracuse.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame

UNC
Syracuse
Northwestern
Notre Dame
It was not all that hard to predict. I just assumed that the guy ranking the teams was going to continue to be lazy about it. IMO, NW should be ahead of Syracuse as Syracuse has more questions with the losses on D and a new new HC.

Still can only laugh about ND being in the Top 5 as it is very easy to see them not even finishing the season in the Top 15 in 2022. I would even be willing to predict a bit lower but I am being realistic about the automatic ACC bump and the additional ND bump. Best I can tell, ND has never won a regular season conference championship in the Big East or the ACC (did win the BE conference tourney in 2009) and has never made it past the NCAA Quarterfinal.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:36 pm
So:

1. UNC
2. Boston College
3. Syracuse
4. Northwestern
5. Loyola
6. Notre Dame

UNC
Syracuse
Northwestern
Notre Dame
It was not all that hard to predict. I just assumed that the guy ranking the teams was going to continue to be lazy about it. IMO, NW should be ahead of Syracuse as Syracuse has more questions with the losses on D and a new new HC.

Still can only laugh about ND being in the Top 5 as it is very easy to see them not even finishing the season in the Top 15 in 2022. I would even be willing to predict a bit lower but I am being realistic about the automatic ACC bump and the additional ND bump. Best I can tell, ND has never won a regular season conference championship in the Big East or the ACC (did win the BE conference tourney in 2009) and has never made it past the NCAA Quarterfinal.
Can't argue with the top 4
DMac

Post by DMac »

21-13 Cuse over NW without EH or MC in their last meeting.
No swapping, same reasoning.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”