Way too early rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bananas

Re: Way too early rankings

Post by bananas »

Rutgers is in his top ten so can't complain.

My stab at his final ten, not mine. Descending.

RU
Denver
Yale
Notre Dame
UNC
Loyola
Georgetown
Duke
Maryland
UVA
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Comeonman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:54 pm I’ll go for, in descending order, Denver, Yale, Rutgers, Loyola, Georgetown, UNC, ND, Duke, Maryland, UVA.
I think you nailed this. I would bet that this will be the order. And I agree with this top ten for the most part. Personally, I would not have Denver there. I might have had Army in that 10 spot and moved Denver to 12 behind Lehigh. But, what the hell do I know?
calourie

Post by calourie »

lorin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:30 pm
calourie wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm Positions 10-1 still remaining in Patrick Steven's rollout of his "way too early" rankings at USLaxmagazine.

Just to stir up the pot I'll take a stab at what the next two days will reveal.

Thursday's positions 10-6 will include Rutgers at 10, Denver at 9, Yale at 8, Georgetown at 7, and Loyola at 6
Friday will have Notre Dame at 5, Duke at 4, Maryland at 3, UNC at 2, and UVA at 1
I am a little confused about Denver being so high
Total process of elimination guesswork on my part, focusing on the usual suspects. I can't imagine Patrick Stevens wouldn't have a Tierney coached Denver team included in his top 25, so with only top ten spots remaining I slotted them in at #9.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:52 pm
Comeonman wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:54 pm I’ll go for, in descending order, Denver, Yale, Rutgers, Loyola, Georgetown, UNC, ND, Duke, Maryland, UVA.
I think you nailed this. I would bet that this will be the order. And I agree with this top ten for the most part. Personally, I would not have Denver there. I might have had Army in that 10 spot and moved Denver to 12 behind Lehigh. But, what the hell do I know?
Agree...not sure on Denver being top ten...I'd put Army in there...but what do I know :D

It's all just for fun and chatter at this point anyway...

With what we know is left, I'd go with

10 - Denver
9 - Yale
8 - Rutgers
7 - Georgetown
6 - UNC
5 - Loyola
4 - ND
3 - Duke
2 - Maryland
1 - UVA
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

With Chris Gray,
he is going to make a real push for player of the year,
and possible an all timer if he can push the Heels over
the finish line,

I have a tough time NOT seeing UNC as a top 3.

Course, I really haven’t assessed much who UNC lost,
what key pieces they are missing,

and can Gray’s small frame put up with the pounding of
what could be 20 high intensity games,
no real let up in a typical UNC schedule / the ACC ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 pm With Chris Gray,
he is going to make a real push for player of the year,
and possible an all timer if he can push the Heels over
the finish line,

I have a tough time NOT seeing UNC as a top 3.

Course, I really haven’t assessed much who UNC lost,
what key pieces they are missing,

and can Gray’s small frame put up with the pounding of
what could be 20 high intensity games,
no real let up in a typical UNC schedule / the ACC ?
Pryor is a sneaky important addition. I like UNC at three
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA Lax. Magazine is rolling out their top #25 write ups starting this week

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

6 Notre Dame
7 Rutgers
8 Loyola
9 Yale
10 Denver
11 Army
12 Lehigh
13 Syracuse
14 Delaware
15 Johns Hopkins
16 Drexel
17 Penn State
18 Penn
19 Ohio State
20 Cornell
21. Bryant
22 Richmond
23 Villanova
24 High Point
T25 Towson
T25 Michigan
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Navy getting some shade thrown their way. Hope they don't start running the triple option in lacrosse. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So my guess he will go with
1 UVA
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Maryland
5 Georgetown
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:58 am So my guess he will go with
1 UVA
2 UNC
3 Duke
4 Maryland
5 Georgetown
doubt maryland isn't in top 2. looks mostly like a re-print of nc$$ finishes for at larges. so probably
uva umd in some order
unc duke in some order
g'town.

i'd have yale in top 4.
rutgers dropping.
g'town in show me, behind loyola probably.
uva 5, sweet spot.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If Rutgers can fill its holes on attack, it could position itself for another postseason push.
Boy is the first part of that sentence doing a lot of work.

Curious what the argument for Rutgers ahead of Loyola is. Both lost in the quarterfinals by 1 last year, but Loyola loses much less. And has the better track record, having made five straight NCAA tournaments.

Denver at 10 made sense to me in the abstract but after reading the blurb they really do lose a ton—Morrill, Walker, Squires, Ierlan. Army may have been the smarter top 10 choice, but that is nitpicking.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:44 am USA Lax. Magazine is rolling out their top #25 write ups starting this week

6 Notre Dame
7 Rutgers
8 Loyola
9 Yale
10 Denver
Yale at #9 sounds about right. Lots of question marks after the extra year off, including How will FOGO perform after 1st Team All American Ierlan in 2019 and 3rd Team AA Mackie in 2018? Plenty of young talent with little or no D1 experience; there is leadership by Fake, Starr and Tevlin still around from the 2018 National Championship team and more (including Brandau, DeMuth and Eschbach) from the 2019 finalists.

I agree with HopFan16 about Denver. Maybe Tierney gets the benefit of the doubt; I think Shay deserves the same benefit. For this Yale fan, quarterfinals would be nice; and maybe, maybe, if everything comes together... but that's dreaming at this point, and #9 seems reasonable.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:56 am Navy getting some shade thrown their way. Hope they don't start running the triple option in lacrosse. ;)
They refer to that as Jarosz, Skalniak and Flannery
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Top five left to be announced. I’d go -

5) Georgetown
4) Duke
3) UNC
2) UVA
1 ) Maryland
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 am
Denver at 10 made sense to me in the abstract but after reading the blurb they really do lose a ton—Morrill, Walker, Squires, Ierlan. Army may have been the smarter top 10 choice, but that is nitpicking.
Denver still hasn't solved its athleticism problem, nor have they done much to address an offense that has struggled since the introduction of the shot clock...despite hogging possession due to very good FOGO play. They're not going to free fall or anything like that, but unless they can figure out a way to beat Georgetown in the BET, the Big East will be a 1-bid league.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I think Nova deserves a bit more consideration in terms of a possible 2 bid BE.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

since 2010, denver's missed the nc$$ once. even hopkins with an engraved preseason invitation has missed it twice. they've also made 7 quarters in that time and, while not in the last 3, made the ff 5 times.
my money's on denver.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 pm since 2010, denver's missed the nc$$ once. even hopkins with an engraved preseason invitation has missed it twice. they've also made 7 quarters in that time and, while not in the last 3, made the ff 5 times.
my money's on denver.
They might’ve gotten lazy living off Baptiste and little and needed to transition focus back only to get smacked with Covid. Or Tierney, as all older coaches eventually do, lost his mojo and the “newness” of Matt Brown WS usurped by sexier new ACs recruiting.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 am
If Rutgers can fill its holes on attack, it could position itself for another postseason push.
Boy is the first part of that sentence doing a lot of work.

Curious what the argument for Rutgers ahead of Loyola is. Both lost in the quarterfinals by 1 last year, but Loyola loses much less. And has the better track record, having made five straight NCAA tournaments.

Agree on you Loyola v Rutgers view, I would have those two flipped. I'd also say I would have Loyola over Georgetown as well...but that's just me...

I would say it's gonna be almost impossible for Rutgers to fill in it's holes on attack...but I really like what they have all over the rest of the field...time will tell

I would have had Army at 10 over Denver...I just like Army

It's just fun to talk about...so much time between now and Feb 1....but it will fly by
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:09 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:27 pm since 2010, denver's missed the nc$$ once. even hopkins with an engraved preseason invitation has missed it twice. they've also made 7 quarters in that time and, while not in the last 3, made the ff 5 times.
my money's on denver.
They might’ve gotten lazy living off Baptiste and little and needed to transition focus back only to get smacked with Covid. Or Tierney, as all older coaches eventually do, lost his mojo and the “newness” of Matt Brown WS usurped by sexier new ACs recruiting.
they scored over 14 goals per game. how far are we running with this?
had the guy finished the 14th goal vs loyola like he should have, they may have had a 2nd shot at duke and the mods would be forced to axe these posts.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”