2021 Coaching Carousel

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SouthernLaxGenius

Re: 2021 Coaching Carousel

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

StuckinD2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 am On another note:
Anyone here anything about BW? Ive heard they’re down to their two finalists just not sure who. I assume Tatro has to be in the mix
Baldwin Wallace has been knocking on the door of NCAAs for a while and are at the top in the OAC. It is in that next tier of jobs (IMO) below the select few "big boys" that were open this summer (great spot and phenomenal support and ready to take the next step) 8-)

Administration throwing us a curve ball and not selecting Tatro, would be shocking :shock: .

Unless they have a "dark horse candidate/finalist" we know nothing about :) .

Then again, we aren't in the room(s) with some of these search committees and what is being said/pitched, so the announcement in the next week, should be interesting :?:
Brickman25

Post by Brickman25 »

Tony Tatro will be named HC and he will be there for a long time being a native of Cleveland.
It will maintain the continuity of the program.
BW will be the team to beat in the OAC.
He just needs to find someone to coach the offense.
The talent is there!
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Brickman25 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 am BW will be the team to beat in the OAC.
Now while I realize that they (BW) are at the top of the OAC, I didnt know that John Carroll (the team that has ended BW's season the last 3 full years) left the conference ;)

Looking forward to the announcement of the new Head Coach :D
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

The finalist I’ve heard besides Tatro I believe is a great choice as well! A young veteran assistant coach that’s been apart of a winning powerhouse, Who also has PLL ties. I don’t think you go wrong with either, but I agree that there are huge benefits in keeping the position from within and keeping the chemistry and trust of the players. I’ll be interested to see what they choose to do.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

StuckinD2 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 pm The finalist I’ve heard besides Tatro I believe is a great choice as well! A young veteran assistant coach that’s been apart of a winning powerhouse, Who also has PLL ties. I don’t think you go wrong with either, but I agree that there are huge benefits in keeping the position from within and keeping the chemistry and trust of the players. I’ll be interested to see what they choose to do.
Donny Moss?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

StuckinD2 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:12 pm The finalist I’ve heard besides Tatro I believe is a great choice as well! A young veteran assistant coach that’s been apart of a winning powerhouse, Who also has PLL ties. I don’t think you go wrong with either, but I agree that there are huge benefits in keeping the position from within and keeping the chemistry and trust of the players. I’ll be interested to see what they choose to do.
Tim Edwards on the other side of the city would almost fit that bill.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Any word out of Colorado College? Does Jon Thompson make that move, he's already in town, been very successful at small lib arts schools.... Who else might be a good fit? Do they promote from within, decent sized staff.

What other gigs are still open? Fall ball already in motion at most places.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

I can't imagine that the AD at CC hasn't floated the carrot in front of JT. Would be foolish not to.

Colorado College is a great school and Woods did a great job building them to where they are. I will offer this counterpoint, however.

I think that CC could be a tough place to coach for someone with a young family.

From what I remember about their schedule, they start their practices in early January to accommodate an earlier game start date. The majority of their away games are a flight, and you have multiple multi-day trips throughout the season.

Recruiting is even more brutal. There's only one major event in CO, majority of everything else is East coast. 2 months where you're basically living in a hotel.

There's a slew of other things, but I'm not sure I'd consider this one of the "no-brainer" jobs in the country. Again, great school and an incredibly successful program. There's just a ton to consider. Not to mention the housing market in CO is astronomical.

Just my opinion.
Last edited by KingPrat on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brickman25

Post by Brickman25 »

John Carroll is always going to be at or near the top.
They had a very mature squad last year compared to a very young talented BW team. You never know who is going to show up to play the next year. Someone is going to have to come in to run the offense. Should be fun to watch! The OAC is improving as a league very quickly.
old man

Post by old man »

KingPrat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:39 pm Recruiting is even more brutal. There's only one major event in CO, majority of everything else is East coast. 2 months where you're basically living in a hotel.
Just my opinion.
College recruiting is A LOT simpler these days than the old days of 2 straight months of summer in hotels/motels/friends' couches. Especially with a staff the size of CC's. The days of "having to see a kid play live" are going further & further by the way side thanks to YouTube + social media + cell phones & how it all ties into recruiting rules these days.

Also, nearly 20 players on their roster are from West of the MS River. Those coaches are going to plenty of events in TX, CO, CA, OR, & WA.
Overpriced East Coast events are losing their steam as well. That said, the road warriors that do hump it out all summer long will keep chasing those event checks as long as they can.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

old man wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:45 pm
KingPrat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:39 pm Recruiting is even more brutal. There's only one major event in CO, majority of everything else is East coast. 2 months where you're basically living in a hotel.
Just my opinion.
College recruiting is A LOT simpler these days than the old days of 2 straight months of summer in hotels/motels/friends' couches. Especially with a staff the size of CC's. The days of "having to see a kid play live" are going further & further by the way side thanks to YouTube + social media + cell phones & how it all ties into recruiting rules these days.

Also, nearly 20 players on their roster are from West of the MS River. Those coaches are going to plenty of events in TX, CO, CA, OR, & WA.
Overpriced East Coast events are losing their steam as well. That said, the road warriors that do hump it out all summer long will keep chasing those event checks as long as they can.
The number one complaint about Summer 2020 and the virtual recruiting that we coaches had to do was that you couldn't see a kid live. Having more eyes on the road definitely helps, but summer recruiting is still two months of brutality. I had years where I spent 6 nights in my own bed in the month of June. Add in the fact that you're in CO and it's worse. I saw Woods on the sideline of East Coast events a ton in my time as a coach.

Is recruiting easier than when I went through the process in 2001/2002? Absolutely. But recruiting a kid on only film is a big dice roll. I predict that we'll see a lot of "misses" in the 2021 class.

Further, I would venture a guess that at least 2 of those guys on the CC staff don't travel outside of CO to recruit, based on their bios and FT jobs.

I would also venture a guess that the majority of the eyes on those west coast players came at an east coast event. There are decent events, but really only two "big volume" events out west where you see a bunch of good talent: Denver Shootout and Adrenaline Shootout.
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Laxguru333 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 pm https://monmouthscots.com/news/2021/9/2 ... coach.aspx

Monmouth is done.
"I was fortunate enough to play with a handful of them so I know the personnel I'm getting."

He is a 2020 alum. Shouldn't he have been fortunate enough to play with, mmmm, half of them...?
laxguy23

Post by laxguy23 »

BW has their man, official announcement coming soon
Laxguru333

Post by Laxguru333 »

laxguy23 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:15 am BW has their man, official announcement coming soon
Apparently they didn’t have to look too far! 👀

Glad administration did their due diligence and had 3 great candidates on campus over the last month.
MLCfan22

Post by MLCfan22 »

Laxguru333 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:52 pm https://monmouthscots.com/news/2021/9/2 ... coach.aspx

Monmouth is done.
I wish coach Van Alstine the best but I really hope Monmouth is doing everything they can to support him as he takes on his first head coaching gig at such a young age with kids he just finished playing with. Would hate to see a young coach burn out quick due to lack of support quick.

Is this the youngest head coach in D3 history?
old man

Post by old man »

KingPrat wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:25 pm The number one complaint about Summer 2020 and the virtual recruiting that we coaches had to do was that you couldn't see a kid live. Having more eyes on the road definitely helps, but summer recruiting is still two months of brutality. I had years where I spent 6 nights in my own bed in the month of June. Add in the fact that you're in CO and it's worse. I saw Woods on the sideline of East Coast events a ton in my time as a coach.

Is recruiting easier than when I went through the process in 2001/2002? Absolutely. But recruiting a kid on only film is a big dice roll. I predict that we'll see a lot of "misses" in the 2021 class.

Further, I would venture a guess that at least 2 of those guys on the CC staff don't travel outside of CO to recruit, based on their bios and FT jobs.

I would also venture a guess that the majority of the eyes on those west coast players came at an east coast event. There are decent events, but really only two "big volume" events out west where you see a bunch of good talent: Denver Shootout and Adrenaline Shootout.
I am fully acknowledging that my replies + discussion are based off of what my son (current D3 coach) & I talk about. Could be hyperbole/wrong/etc.
I'm NOT arguing or rage replying against you in the least. Just wanted to make sure we're cool here. Enjoying sharing & talking.

re: "Dice roll"
100%. You can't just recruit a kid off of his film. You have got to do the deep work. Dive into the social medias, talk to the club AND the HS coach + the teachers, & develop the conversations with the prospect (very easy these days w/ texting). The eye ball test can always ALSO come on the prospect visit too. Gauging a kid on 1 or 2 live viewings ALONE just doesn't get the job done these days. There are so many kids & too fewer chances (mostly due to shrinking travel budgets, Covid, etc.) to see them all.

re: the 2 that likely don't travel
Probably spot on. But their roles should 1000% be the online stalking & conversation development. Along with whatever local events they can attend on certain weekends they are available.

re: west coast guys at east coast events
Quite possible. But those numbers are shrinking with people's limited travel abilities (family budgets, covid, etc.). More & more people are getting pro-active in their recruiting to choose their schools (making those lists & attacking them) rather than relying on being "discovered" then recruited. So many of the west coast kids are good & have zero desire to head east for any reason.

My son is a massive extrovert & it serves him well with those recruiting dog days of summer. He goes anywhere & everywhere he can to chase those events checks + recruiting lists. In between the events & during - he's filtering the lists, adding his notes, starting the emails & texts, etc.
Funny side note: before the pandemic he was basically funding 25% of his salary from the program/school from social media accounts gaining all the hits from the ads revenue & the team store. Apparently there's lots of profit in those shirts & hoodies. Just sharing the links in the initial emails to recruits & parents drives traffic (he says-who knows really?).
But what I've gathered is you can really be successful if you're not a home body for the lower D1s, mid/lower D2s, basically all of D3, + NAIA/NJCAA. Harder to do with the wife & kids. The single young hungry guys can grind in their 20s. Expense all you can. Stay free wherever possible. 3 summers in a row he hit the road with his camping gear & camped anywhere he could. Fished a lot in his down time too.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Hearing rumors that Geneseo is now open? Can anyone confirm?
richard

Post by richard »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:30 am Hearing rumors that Geneseo is now open? Can anyone confirm?
CC? Does that make sense?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”