~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Mr3Putt

Re: ~Loyola University Lacosse 2019~

Post by Mr3Putt »

Who in the Patriot league has given Loyola a difficult time ? And why? BU, Navy ,Lehigh? How do you play Loyola? Seems teams play heavy ball side , backside is open. Thoughts?
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Bucknell has beaten Loyola 3 of the past four seasons and loss to them once In double OT in the tournament, in a low scoring game. Bucknell controls the ball against them and stay absolutely balanced on O, allowing as close to 0 transition opportunities as possible. They also had underrated Matt Gilray guarding Spencer. Gilray made the Canadian national team roster, had size and speed, and could make Spencer really work to get his. If he was getting warn down then Bucknell would slide quick,almost a double team to Spencer. This is dangerous and used as a change-up. I believe Spencer had just a total of 3 points in last years Bucknell win. But you have to do SOMETHING!! Spencer is way to good to just HOPE he doesn't kill you. like UVA and Hopkins tried. The PL coaches seem to have more creative attempts at limiting Spencer,
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Spencer is a force. How's that for an understatement? But their wins over UVA and JHU proved the Hounds ain't a one trick pony. Stover looks as if he's the real deal. Clears and rides were damn good. A complete team.

I'd be surprised if they didn't wind up playing on Memorial Day.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Spencer is indeed at another level - pretty much a pro all-star. You have to guard him all the time...never take your eyes off of him.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Spencer's already established himself in the mount rushmore of Loyola lacrosse. 2-0 is really nice to start out but until they beat Rutgers, Towson and especially Duke, will I feel comfortable with how the team plays.

In short, spencer and this team needs to win the championship this year because the program will take a deeeep hit once this class graduates
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Voyuer wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:22 pm Bucknell has beaten Loyola 3 of the past four seasons and loss to them once In double OT in the tournament, in a low scoring game. Bucknell controls the ball against them and stay absolutely balanced on O, allowing as close to 0 transition opportunities as possible. They also had underrated Matt Gilray guarding Spencer. Gilray made the Canadian national team roster, had size and speed, and could make Spencer really work to get his. If he was getting warn down then Bucknell would slide quick,almost a double team to Spencer. This is dangerous and used as a change-up. I believe Spencer had just a total of 3 points in last years Bucknell win. But you have to do SOMETHING!! Spencer is way to good to just HOPE he doesn't kill you. like UVA and Hopkins tried. The PL coaches seem to have more creative attempts at limiting Spencer,
V good post. Agree, the people who know you most are in conference opponents. Loyola looks v good.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

how about the team today against Rutgers! i think its great to see that the defense limited rutgers to only 7 goals when they're averaging about 10+ so far
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Cheeseandcrackers

Re: ~Loyola University Lacrosse 2019~

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Is Matt Higgins injured? I have not seen him out there.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:37 pm Is Matt Higgins injured? I have not seen him out there.
No official word but he took a hit to the head against UVA and hasn't played since so my guess is he has had a concussion.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I think Loyola is a slightly better team than Towson, but I kind of like the Tigers in this one. Face-offs and intangibles could be on Towson's side.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Voyuer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:39 pm I think Loyola is a slightly better team than Towson, but I kind of like the Tigers in this one. Face-offs and intangibles could be on Towson's side.
Agreed, Loyola seems to be the better team and Towson may have some edge(s) - fogo, ssdm/rope unit, home field and a very nasty taste still in the mouths of the seniors as a result of last season's issues.

Loyola has Spencer and an experienced keeper....

The really little things are likely going to have a huge impact. I am guessing over 25 total goals....with the final being a 1-3 goal spread.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I expect this to be close, and I'll be surprised if it tilts heavily either way. I hope those injury rumors about Towson are just rumors.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Voyuer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:39 pm I think Loyola is a slightly better team than Towson, but I kind of like the Tigers in this one. Face-offs and intangibles could be on Towson's side.
+1

‘Zactly!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

‪Cold comfort after a loss, but that was a tough midweek spot for the Hounds against a team that motivated. Hats off to the tigers on a fine game. For the Hounds to be dominated on faceoffs like they were, play sloppily at times, and still be there right at the end is a positive.

Lots of things to work on for the Hounds. But all should help hone for the PL slate.

Tigers played well. And the TSU Goalie had a career day and was out of his mind.

Love to see a rematch of this game in May.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I liked Towson in this one, but still think Loyola has more upside and "should" be the better team in May. I think it is easier to tighten up D and F/O then to get much better on O. Someone will upset Loyola in the PL, but I doubt they lose 2 games, and I expect them to host the PL tourney again.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Fun game to watch on tv. A couple of takeaways for me:
1. Loyola very fortunate not to be down 5 or 6 after first quarter. Towson was flying.
2. The zone was smart move. Towson slowed to a crawl 2nd and 3rd and Loyola clawed back in.
3. Towson has a distinct edge in athletism. IF there is a rematch, Loyola must clean up the sloppiness handling the ball to win.

Here's hoping there is a rematch. These are two very entertaining teams.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Agree on the rematch - but hope we are in a different bracket so we meet later on. Hounds will work on the miscues they made last night - uncharacteristic of their body of work so far - way too many unforced turnovers. And Towson's Woodall is one of the best - a senior. I appreciated everything Savio tried last night and he's just a Soph. Even though Hounds went 6 for 20 at the X and were outshot they were still in it towards the very end, although it would have been an uphill climb to get that one goal they needed to tie it up. Good coaching move going to the Zone. Really froze Towson offense for awhile. Towson goalie also had stops on two point blank shots that generally result in goal; and it has a Senior heavy team, especially on D, or so it seemed when mentioning starting lineups.

Holy Cross on Sat. They're coming off a miraculous comeback win over Harvard and looking to pull the upset. Look forward to seeing how the Hounds rebound after the loss. We may see a high scoring game.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Sat, will be a high scoring game for Loyola..not so much for HC...I would be shocked if "Crusaders" stay within a handful. To big of a difference in skill level. Yes HC can muck it up, and make you play ugly, but eventually the Hounds will put a 4-5 goal streak together and run away.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Matt Higgins is a player lacrosse fans in general will have never heard of that the Hounds badly miss. Not only is he the only SSDM with experience but his absence has weakened the second midfield by forcing Swindell to play a lot of defense. Hopefully he's back soon.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Dodged a big bullet today vs. an inspired HC squad! HC defense was tenacious. Stover did not have his best day. Thank God for the Smooth Operator- St. Patrick #7!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”