Conservative Ideology 2024: NOTHING BUT LIES AND FEARMONGERING

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Conservative Ideology

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:52 am
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:46 am
Are you reading what I wrote?

OK, so it's settled ~ more Democrats in Florida than Republicans as Nicole Sandler said. Would be nice if these "conservatives" were to practice some actual moral principle and open up those voting facilities and desist from gerrymandering so that there could be true representative democracy in that state.
So you understand that your statement was almost a mirror of something that clown would say in the conclusion you derived.

I make my statements based on facts and provide valid links rather than engage in emotional rants and made up "facts" as so many right wingers do here.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OK, so it's settled ~ more Democrats in Florida than Republicans as Nicole Sandler said. Would be nice if these "conservatives" were to practice some actual moral principle and open up those voting facilities and desist from gerrymandering so that there could be true representative democracy in that state.
Agreed with all of that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 amBeen up since 5 on my second pot. More likely over caffeinated and need some chamomile or melatonin.

You are conflating theory and practice. We never practiced what was preached for a variety of reasons some of which was from republican politician’s own self interest and hypocrisy and some for other reasons. Same every time Paul Krugman claims “free market capitalism failed” on This Week with David brinkley and George Will would easily reply “that can’t even true because we never actually practiced it” and Will is correct. There has been a dislocation between reality on the ground and the theory.

As far as center of left what evidence do you have of this? The popular vote? That’s not “the country” that’s voters who voted and the Biden votes includes many swing votes from folks like MD or myself who did it not to affirm left policies but out of opposition of trumpsim. Cant include those, can’t quantify the true nature of non voters because they haven’t pulled the lever it’s just talk and we know most people say one thing and their checkbook says something different regularly. As for my list of Dems we see time and again how corporate, middle, political animal politicians still continue to run the Democratic Party. Obama did some things but drones, guantanamo, etc. He literally went by Barry until he hit congress. I like the guy but you claim the Democratic Party is shaped by the left but every presidential candidate has been middle win or lose for 30yrs clearing out the Howard Deans and Bernie Sanders once the donations are settled and it’s time to put up the real candidate. So again this all refutes this the argument you make that America is center left when one side is throwing up whatever this mess is now but a Romney, McCain, Bush, Dole/Kemp. Strikes me that for all the talks we are really more center right depending on your definition of center and given you are generally more extreme politically for that side than I am I’d expect your definition of center to already look a little left.

So what evidence can you actually show that the country is center left? And define center
Sadly, i have a year to go before retiring. It's an interesting topic and i'm sure we'll return to it. Just can't spend the time needed on the response right now...didn't want you to think that NO response was some sort of capitulation... :D

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:51 amBeen up since 5 on my second pot. More likely over caffeinated and need some chamomile or melatonin.

You are conflating theory and practice. We never practiced what was preached for a variety of reasons some of which was from republican politician’s own self interest and hypocrisy and some for other reasons. Same every time Paul Krugman claims “free market capitalism failed” on This Week with David brinkley and George Will would easily reply “that can’t even true because we never actually practiced it” and Will is correct. There has been a dislocation between reality on the ground and the theory.

As far as center of left what evidence do you have of this? The popular vote? That’s not “the country” that’s voters who voted and the Biden votes includes many swing votes from folks like MD or myself who did it not to affirm left policies but out of opposition of trumpsim. Cant include those, can’t quantify the true nature of non voters because they haven’t pulled the lever it’s just talk and we know most people say one thing and their checkbook says something different regularly. As for my list of Dems we see time and again how corporate, middle, political animal politicians still continue to run the Democratic Party. Obama did some things but drones, guantanamo, etc. He literally went by Barry until he hit congress. I like the guy but you claim the Democratic Party is shaped by the left but every presidential candidate has been middle win or lose for 30yrs clearing out the Howard Deans and Bernie Sanders once the donations are settled and it’s time to put up the real candidate. So again this all refutes this the argument you make that America is center left when one side is throwing up whatever this mess is now but a Romney, McCain, Bush, Dole/Kemp. Strikes me that for all the talks we are really more center right depending on your definition of center and given you are generally more extreme politically for that side than I am I’d expect your definition of center to already look a little left.

So what evidence can you actually show that the country is center left? And define center
Sadly, i have a year to go before retiring. It's an interesting topic and i'm sure we'll return to it. Just can't spend the time needed on the response right now...didn't want you to think that NO response was some sort of capitulation... :D

It’s fine, appreciate that from you, I was just challenging an assertion made because I don’t see it. I know where you stand and always support advocates but advocates don’t end up running things. It’s the step brother you think is a hack that will get the throne.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:04 am

As for capitulation-I’m sure you’re response would be similar to this great (IMO) song

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TPE9uSFFxrI
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The new Republican motto:”if we win, the election was fair.”
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:52 am

So you understand that your statement was almost a mirror of something that clown would say in the conclusion you derived.

I make my statements based on facts and provide valid links rather than engage in emotional rants and made up "facts" as so many right wingers do here.
So a higher GDP is correlated with a 3:1 ratio or some majority Democrats as a law or rule? The idea that there’s any relationship political affiliation and GDP is absurd but you want to stand by that. Makes sense to me...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:26 pm
So a higher GDP is correlated with a 3:1 ratio or some majority Democrats as a law or rule? The idea that there’s any relationship political affiliation and GDP is absurd but you want to stand by that. Makes sense to me...

All I know is what I read in the newspapers ~ quoting Will Rogers, of course.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:03 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:26 pm

All I know is what I read in the newspapers ~ quoting Will Rogers, of course.
That’s a shame. It’s a big world out there. (For profit) newspapers are only one small part of understanding the world and buses by their own self-interest. That’s a marketplace of those ideas to know anything.

https://www.ontology.co/heidegger-aletheia.htm
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:05 pm That’s a shame. It’s a big world out there. (For profit) newspapers are only one small part of understanding the world and buses by their own self-interest. That’s a marketplace of those ideas to know anything.

Nice. Read that in college many moons ago. If that subject interests you much I recommend Santayana's The Last Puritan which is my all time fave novel.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:05 pm That’s a shame. It’s a big world out there. (For profit) newspapers are only one small part of understanding the world and buses by their own self-interest. That’s a marketplace of those ideas to know anything.

Nice. Read that in college many moons ago. If that subject interests you much I recommend Santayana's The Last Puritan which is my all time fave novel.
Yes been a fan of him, Nietzsche, Camus, Sartre and a few others since my sister was bombing me with the stuff in middle school/high school.

I am ordering a used version of that book from Amazon today, thanks. Currently re-reading stuff I haven’t read in forever - Waiting for Godot and a play called The Persecution and Assassination of Jean Paul Marat (Peter Weiss author/playwright)
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU88 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 pm The new Republican motto:”if we win, the election was fair.”
Wonder if mdlaxfan agrees. He's a republican. sayz so everyday
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Someone went off their meds last weekend. Making me look good so I should just leave it alone...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

GOP Governors and the stupid revisiting of the "states' rights" nonsense...for performative purposes, of course:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/12/us/p ... icans.html

"Like other Republican governors around the country, Tate Reeves of Mississippi reacted angrily to the coronavirus vaccine mandates President Biden imposed on private businesses. Declaring the move “terrifying,” he wrote on Twitter: “This is still America, and we still believe in freedom from tyrants.”

There is a deep inconsistency in that argument. Mississippi has some of the strictest vaccine mandates in the nation, which have not drawn opposition from most of its elected officials. Not only does it require children to be vaccinated against measles, mumps and seven other diseases to attend school, but it goes a step further than most states by barring parents from claiming “religious, philosophical or conscientious” exemptions.

Resistance to vaccine mandates was once a fringe position in both parties, more the realm of misinformed celebrities than mainstream political thought. But the fury over Mr. Biden’s mandates shows how a once-extreme stance has moved to the center of the Republican Party. The governors’ opposition reflects the anger and fear about the vaccine among constituents now central to their base, while ignoring longstanding policy and legal precedent in favor of similar vaccination requirements.

“Republicans care about getting beyond this pandemic every bit as much as Democrats do,” said Dr. Ashish Jha, the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health. But, he added, “politicians are certainly happy to exploit this issue for political gain, which is why I think the Republican governors are up in arms.”

Mr. Biden also imposed vaccine mandates on federal workers and many health care workers. But Republican outrage is really boiling over his plan to require all private-sector businesses with more than 100 employees to mandate vaccines or weekly testing for their work forces.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas called the president’s move “a power grab.” Gov. Henry McMaster of South Carolina promised to fight Mr. Biden in court, to “the gates of hell.” Gov. Greg Gianforte of Montana called it “unlawful and un-American.” Gov. Kay Ivey of Alabama called the move “outrageous” and “overreaching.”

But each of these states — indeed every state in the country — already mandates certain vaccinations for children, and sometimes for adults, including health care workers and patients in certain facilities.

Mississippi, which has one of the lowest coronavirus vaccination rates in the nation, has consistently led the United States in childhood vaccinations — a point of pride for its health officials and many of its lawmakers. Alabama, similar to Mississippi, also refuses to acknowledge “philosophical, moral or ethical” exemptions to mandatory childhood vaccinations.

Experts in public health law agree that Mr. Biden is on solid legal footing, because his actions are grounded in federal workplace safety laws. They say Republican governors who insist that vaccine mandates are an intrusion on personal liberty need a refresher on their own state policies.

“That is pure hypocrisy,” Lawrence O. Gostin, a public health law expert at Georgetown University, said of Mr. Reeves’s remarks. “Even religious exemptions are swept away in the state of Mississippi, so how can he say that an order that a president makes to keep workers safe, with authorization by Congress, is an overreach or in any way unconstitutional?”

A spokeswoman for Mr. Reeves, Bailey Martin, rejected Mr. Gostin’s assertion. “The only people being hypocritical are President Biden and his administration, who for months have said they would not mandate the vaccine,” she said in an email, adding that Mr. Reeves would use “every tool at his disposal” to block the mandates.

Republican suspicion of vaccines was building before the pandemic; when Donald J. Trump was running for president in 2016, he rejected established science by raising the debunked claims that vaccines cause autism. Now, some of the governors argue that given the country’s outsize divisions, and widespread suspicion of Washington, federal intervention would be counterproductive. It would be best, they say, to let state officials continue making the case that the vaccines are safe and effective, and to allow people to make decisions themselves.

“I’m trying to overcome resistance, but the president’s actions in a mandate hardens the resistance,” Gov. Asa Hutchinson, Republican of Arkansas, said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” School mandates, he said, “have always come at the state level, never at the national level. And so this is an unprecedented assumption of federal mandate authority that really disrupts and divides the country.”

Dr. Jha said Mr. Biden had in fact done Republicans a favor.

“What the president does is he creates political cover for Republican leaders, who will scream loudly because it’s politically expedient,” he said. “But I think many of them are actually feeling relieved, because now they don’t have to do the hard work of convincing their constituents.”

Indeed, when the highly infectious Delta variant began ripping through their communities and overwhelming their hospitals, many elected Republicans — notably Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the minority leader — started pleading with people to get vaccinated. Most of the Republican governors criticizing Mr. Biden have said much the same.

Even as Mr. Reeves blasted Mr. Biden on Twitter, he took care to declare the vaccine itself “lifesaving.” Mr. McMaster held a news conference last month to encourage South Carolinians to take the shots, saying, “Now is a great time to do it while we’re getting ready for the fall.” In Alabama, Ms. Ivey has adopted the same stance as Mr. Biden: “It’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks” for the deadly coronavirus surge, she said recently.

Three-quarters of American adults have had at least one Covid-19 shot, which suggests growing acceptance of the vaccine. Mr. Biden’s move is aimed at the roughly 80 million Americans who are eligible but remain unvaccinated. Experts call it an unprecedented exercise of presidential authority to encourage vaccination.

“It’s really uncharted waters,” said Claire Hannan, the executive director of the Association of Immunization Managers, which represents state immunization officials.

Mr. Biden is pointing to childhood vaccine mandates to make his case.

“Parents, get your teenagers vaccinated,” he said on Friday during a visit to a middle school in Washington. “You got them vaccinated for all kinds of other things. Measles, mumps, rubella. To go to school and play sports, they have had those vaccinations.”

The Supreme Court has twice upheld vaccine mandates, beginning more than a century ago in the 1905 case of Jacobson v. Massachusetts, in which Justice John Marshall Harlan reasoned that a “community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease” — in that case, smallpox — “which threatens the safety of its members.”

Both cases upheld state or city mandates, and do not apply to Mr. Biden’s actions, according to Mr. Gostin. Because public health powers are reserved to the states under the Constitution, he said, the Supreme Court would almost certainly strike down a national mandate.

But Mr. Biden did not impose a national mandate. He took a series of specific, limited actions that legal experts agree are within his purview as president. The mandates he announced — for the federal work force and federal contractors, for employees of health care facilities and Head Start programs that accept federal funding, and for large businesses — are grounded in powers that Congress has granted to the president, including the authority to ensure a safe workplace under the law that established the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

And Mr. Biden gave businesses an out. Employees who do not want to get vaccinated can undergo weekly testing — a fact that his critics fail to note. Mr. Reeves, for instance, asserted that the president had “no authority to require that Americans inject themselves because of their employment at a private business,” without mentioning testing as an option.

Understand Vaccine and Mask Mandates in the U.S.

Vaccine rules. On Aug. 23, the Food and Drug Administration granted full approval to Pfizer-BioNTech’s coronavirus vaccine for people 16 and up, paving the way for an increase in mandates in both the public and private sectors. Private companies have been increasingly mandating vaccines for employees. Such mandates are legally allowed and have been upheld in court challenges.
Mask rules. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in July recommended that all Americans, regardless of vaccination status, wear masks in indoor public places within areas experiencing outbreaks, a reversal of the guidance it offered in May. See where the C.D.C. guidance would apply, and where states have instituted their own mask policies. The battle over masks has become contentious in some states, with some local leaders defying state bans.

College and universities. More than 400 colleges and universities are requiring students to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Almost all are in states that voted for President Biden.

Schools. Both California and New York City have introduced vaccine mandates for education staff. A survey released in August found that many American parents of school-age children are opposed to mandated vaccines for students, but were more supportive of mask mandates for students, teachers and staff members who do not have their shots.

Hospitals and medical centers. Many hospitals and major health systems are requiring employees to get a Covid-19 vaccine, citing rising caseloads fueled by the Delta variant and stubbornly low vaccination rates in their communities, even within their work force.
New York City. Proof of vaccination is required of workers and customers for indoor dining, gyms, performances and other indoor situations, although enforcement does not begin until Sept. 13. Teachers and other education workers in the city’s vast school system will need to have at least one vaccine dose by Sept. 27, without the option of weekly testing. City hospital workers must also get a vaccine or be subjected to weekly testing. Similar rules are in place for New York State employees.

At the federal level. The Pentagon announced that it would seek to make coronavirus vaccinations mandatory for the country’s 1.3 million active-duty troops “no later” than the middle of September. President Biden announced that all civilian federal employees would have to be vaccinated against the coronavirus or submit to regular testing, social distancing, mask requirements and restrictions on most travel.

Vaccine mandates are not new, nor is resistance to vaccination. As far back as 1721 in Boston, a vaccine opponent threw a small bomb through the window of Cotton Mather, who was promoting inoculation against smallpox during a deadly outbreak. By the early 1900s, smallpox vaccination again emerged as a contentious issue in Massachusetts, giving rise to the Jacobson case.

By the 1920s, many schools in the United States required vaccination against smallpox, according to the History of Vaccines, a project of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. When vaccines for diseases like pertussis, polio and measles became widely available in the 1940s and ’50s, the American public, inclined to have faith in science and government, voluntarily accepted them, said David Rosner, a Columbia University historian who specializes in the intersection of politics and public health.

The 1960s brought social upheaval and an anti-establishment mood — and with it, the beginnings of the antivaccine movement, which led many states to enact mandates, Mr. Rosner said. Often, there is pushback, especially with newly developed vaccines.

When the varicella vaccine was developed to combat chickenpox in 1995, for instance, Idaho refused to mandate it. But it was ultimately added to the state’s list of required vaccinations for children born after Sept. 1, 2005.

One Republican governor, Pete Ricketts of Nebraska, drew a distinction between Covid-19 shots and childhood vaccines, insisting in an appearance on “Fox News Sunday” that childhood vaccine mandates do not violate personal freedoms because parents have had “a long history” with them. Of Covid-19 shots, he said, “This is a process that’s going to take time to bring people along, and that’s why it should be a personal choice.”

But public health experts say the safety of the community supersedes personal liberty when everyone is at risk from a communicable disease.

“It’s always a little noisy and uncomfortable” when vaccine requirements are first imposed, said Dr. Jha of Brown University. But over time, he said, “people get vaccinated and whatever infectious disease you are trying to deal with fades into the background and people move on, and that’s what I expect to happen here.”

Still, never before has a vaccine been so caught up in partisan politics. Dr. Rosner sees something deeper at work.

“This is part of a much larger dissolution of American society,” he said. “It is part and parcel of the resistance to all forms of social harmony and sense of social purpose that the country is undergoing right now.”

Eleven states, including Arizona, Florida and Texas, have already expressly banned Covid-19 vaccine mandates, either through legislation or a governor’s order, and questions are bound to emerge over whether the president’s mandates will trump those state policies or laws. (The answer is yes, Mr. Gostin said.)

Dr. Marcus Plescia, the chief medical officer of the Association of State and Territorial Health Officials, warned in an interview last month that the backlash against Covid-19 vaccine mandates could prompt state legislatures to “also tinker with the idea that maybe all of these childhood vaccines are an overreach of government.”

So far, at least, there is no indication of that. And even in Republican-led states where Mr. Biden’s mandates are inciting outrage, the Delta variant is making the case for him. In Mississippi, one of the hardest-hit states, hospitals were so overwhelmed last month that the University of Mississippi Medical Center put up a field hospital in its parking garage.

Today, the state is no longer last in the nation for Covid-19 vaccination, as it was throughout the spring and into early July. More than half of Mississippi adults are fully protected against the coronavirus."
Brooklyn

Re: CONservative Ideology

Post by Brooklyn »

loony Alex Jones has taken some singing lessons to go along with his political rants:

https://twitter.com/weirdwithwords/stat ... 6516304899

DocBarrister

QAnon Moron-Puppet-Sheep Being Controlled By Half-Korean Dude

Post by DocBarrister »

As we all know, QAnon believers are morons who strongly tend to be white supremacists.

How feeble-minded and pathetic are the QAnon cultists? They are being manipulated and controlled like imbecile puppets by a half-Korean loser, Ron Watkins, who has mostly lived with one of his two divorced parents throughout most of his life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Watkins

So, white supremacist Trump QAnon cultists are being controlled by that loser-geek. The dude must be laughing his half-Korean a$$ off. :lol:

DocBarrister :lol:
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Re: QAnon Moron-Puppet-Sheep Being Controlled By Half-Korean Dude

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:27 pm As we all know, QAnon believers are morons who strongly tend to be white supremacists.

How feeble-minded and pathetic are the QAnon cultists? They are being manipulated and controlled like imbecile puppets by a half-Korean loser, Ron Watkins, who has mostly lived with one of his two divorced parents throughout most of his life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Watkins

So, white supremacist Trump QAnon cultists are being controlled by that loser-geek. The dude must be laughing his half-Korean a$$ off. :lol:

DocBarrister :lol:
You didn’t know this? There was a 4 ish part special on this on
HBO like 6mo ago. It was actually quite pleasing to watch. His dad stole the site from a crippled white guy or he has some issue where he was in a chair and tiny. The site is actually owned by the dad.

Seemed like a weird and messed up but talented and smart guy. His dad messed him up clearly.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

How they once thought, and what they are now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... democracy/

"In his first inaugural address, Thomas Jefferson forecast that the young nation would “unite in common efforts for the common good” after the bitter election of 1800.

“Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle,” he said in the new Senate chamber. “We have called by different names brethren of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists.”

Americans have, at our best, upheld that creed over two centuries. We are all republicans. We are all democrats.

George W. Bush reminded us of those sacred ties in his magnificent speech Saturday contrasting the warm courage of national unity after the 9/11 attacks with the domestic terrorism Donald Trump has unleashed.

“We have seen growing evidence that the dangers to our country can come not only across borders, but from violence that gathers within,” the 43rd president said from the Pennsylvania field where Flight 93 crashed. “There is little cultural overlap between violent extremists abroad and violent extremists at home. But in their disdain for pluralism, in their disregard for human life, in their determination to defile national symbols, they are children of the same foul spirit. And it is our continuing duty to confront them.”

The days of post-9/11 solidarity “seem distant from our own,” Bush continued. “A malign force seems at work in our common life that turns every disagreement into an argument, and every argument into a clash of cultures. So much of our politics has become a naked appeal to anger, fear and resentment. That leaves us worried about our nation and our future together.”

On cue spoke the Malign Force himself. Trump, rejecting invitations to attend 9/11 memorials with other former presidents, used the solemn anniversary to stoke resentment. “We won the election,” he told firefighters in New York. “The election was rigged.” He lashed out at President Biden — “surrender,” “disgrace,” “total embarrassment” — and Democrats: “They only do bad stuff. You wonder whether or not they love our country.”

Even Fox News cut away, as the anchor noted that Trump was “claiming that the election was rigged, which it was not. It has been proven in court multiple times.”

On Monday, Trump issued a written response to Bush. “So interesting to watch former President Bush, who is responsible for getting us into the quicksand of the Middle East (and then not winning!), as he lectures us that terrorists on the ‘right’ are a bigger problem than those from foreign countries that hate America,” he wrote, with trademark misrepresentation and vitriol. “Bush led a failed and uninspiring presidency. He shouldn’t be lecturing anybody!”

It was a stark reminder of how the Grand Old Party has corrupted itself over the past 20 years: from Bush to Trump, from a party of conservatism to a violent faction that refuses to honor free and fair elections and the rule of law.

Jefferson could not have imagined this. The 1800 election was animated, he said in his inaugural address, “but this being now decided by the voice of the nation, announced according to the rules of the Constitution, all will, of course, arrange themselves under the will of the law.” Warning against a despotic “political intolerance,” Jefferson boasted that, in the United States, “every man, at the call of the law, would fly to the standard of the law, and would meet invasions of the public order as his own personal concern.”

Now we have a former (and aspiring future) president, leader of a major political party, who is himself invading the public order and rejecting the standard of the law. He is neither a democrat nor a republican.

There’s much I disliked about Bush’s presidency — contorting intelligence to justify the Iraq War, politicizing the war on terror, making the rich richer — but I never doubted that Bush believed in democracy and a civil society. He was also, in those frightening early days after 9/11, a force for unity.

“At a time when religious bigotry might have flowed freely, I saw Americans reject prejudice and embrace people of Muslim faith. That is the nation I know,” Bush said Saturday. “At a time when nativism could have stirred hatred and violence against people perceived as outsiders, I saw Americans reaffirm their welcome to immigrants and refugees. That is the nation I know,” he continued.

This America, Bush said, “is the truest version of ourselves. It is what we have been — and what we can be again.”

Embracing Muslims? Welcoming immigrants? This is the antithesis of Trump’s Republican Party. Bush, the only Republican to win the presidential popular vote in 32 years, has no place in that party. Neither does Dick Cheney, nor Liz Cheney — nor anybody else who still believes that being a Republican also means being a democrat."
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Larry Elder Campaign Touts Website Already Saying Newsom Won Via Voter Fraud

The Malign Force in current American politics has infected the body politic and needs to be pulled out at the roots...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:32 am How they once thought, and what they are now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... democracy/

"In his first inaugural address, Thomas Jefferson forecast that the young nation would “unite in common efforts for the common good” after the bitter election of 1800.

“Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle,” he said in the new Senate chamber. “We have called by different names brethren of the same principle. We are all Republicans, we are all Federalists.”

Americans have, at our best, upheld that creed over two centuries. We are all republicans. We are all democrats.

George W. Bush reminded us of those sacred ties in his magnificent speech Saturday contrasting the warm courage of national unity after the 9/11 attacks with the domestic terrorism Donald Trump has unleashed.

“We have seen growing evidence that the dangers to our country can come not only across borders, but from violence that gathers within,” the 43rd president said from the Pennsylvania field where Flight 93 crashed. “There is little cultural overlap between violent extremists abroad and violent extremists at home. But in their disdain for pluralism, in their disregard for human life, in their determination to defile national symbols, they are children of the same foul spirit. And it is our continuing duty to confront them.”

The days of post-9/11 solidarity “seem distant from our own,” Bush continued. “A malign force seems at work in our common life that turns every disagreement into an argument, and every argument into a clash of cultures. So much of our politics has become a naked appeal to anger, fear and resentment. That leaves us worried about our nation and our future together.”

On cue spoke the Malign Force himself. Trump, rejecting invitations to attend 9/11 memorials with other former presidents, used the solemn anniversary to stoke resentment. “We won the election,” he told firefighters in New York. “The election was rigged.” He lashed out at President Biden — “surrender,” “disgrace,” “total embarrassment” — and Democrats: “They only do bad stuff. You wonder whether or not they love our country.”

Even Fox News cut away, as the anchor noted that Trump was “claiming that the election was rigged, which it was not. It has been proven in court multiple times.”

On Monday, Trump issued a written response to Bush. “So interesting to watch former President Bush, who is responsible for getting us into the quicksand of the Middle East (and then not winning!), as he lectures us that terrorists on the ‘right’ are a bigger problem than those from foreign countries that hate America,” he wrote, with trademark misrepresentation and vitriol. “Bush led a failed and uninspiring presidency. He shouldn’t be lecturing anybody!”

It was a stark reminder of how the Grand Old Party has corrupted itself over the past 20 years: from Bush to Trump, from a party of conservatism to a violent faction that refuses to honor free and fair elections and the rule of law.

Jefferson could not have imagined this. The 1800 election was animated, he said in his inaugural address, “but this being now decided by the voice of the nation, announced according to the rules of the Constitution, all will, of course, arrange themselves under the will of the law.” Warning against a despotic “political intolerance,” Jefferson boasted that, in the United States, “every man, at the call of the law, would fly to the standard of the law, and would meet invasions of the public order as his own personal concern.”

Now we have a former (and aspiring future) president, leader of a major political party, who is himself invading the public order and rejecting the standard of the law. He is neither a democrat nor a republican.

There’s much I disliked about Bush’s presidency — contorting intelligence to justify the Iraq War, politicizing the war on terror, making the rich richer — but I never doubted that Bush believed in democracy and a civil society. He was also, in those frightening early days after 9/11, a force for unity.

“At a time when religious bigotry might have flowed freely, I saw Americans reject prejudice and embrace people of Muslim faith. That is the nation I know,” Bush said Saturday. “At a time when nativism could have stirred hatred and violence against people perceived as outsiders, I saw Americans reaffirm their welcome to immigrants and refugees. That is the nation I know,” he continued.

This America, Bush said, “is the truest version of ourselves. It is what we have been — and what we can be again.”

Embracing Muslims? Welcoming immigrants? This is the antithesis of Trump’s Republican Party. Bush, the only Republican to win the presidential popular vote in 32 years, has no place in that party. Neither does Dick Cheney, nor Liz Cheney — nor anybody else who still believes that being a Republican also means being a democrat."
I love how every larger public failure by trump leads him to pointing fingers more at others and acting like a little girl. Strike that my pain in the a** 7yr old daughter/Princess/eventual supreme ruler of the planet whom I had to put in her room to calm down because she flipped out for not understanding how many quarters she needed if she had seven bucks and needed twelve while backfilling with quarters wouldn’t behave like drumpf.

Return to “POLITICS”