THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HowieT3

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by HowieT3 »

It wasn't so much the play of the Princeton FOGOs that was strong as much as it was their wings. UVa won a bunch of crucial faceoffs when LaSalla won the draw to himself and kept the Princeton wings from affecting play.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Paul Rabil is having a fund raiser in NYC to benefit his Foundation. If you are interested in attending and if I know something of who you are I can provide details
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:20 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 pm anyone have a preview of what saturday should look like and what if any changes they expect in the lineup for us?
Is Jack Lyne hurt, again. Hasn't played a lick this season, last I checked.

pgct.
I believe he's finally healthy, but the Jays are pretty set at LSM with Kuhn and Reinson. He may get a shot next year after Kuhn graduates. He's a junior but still has two more years of playing eligibility after 2019. So who knows. A major injury in your freshman season can derail your whole career. I hope he's able to contribute before his time is up but it's unlikely to be this season.
HowieT3 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm It wasn't so much the play of the Princeton FOGOs that was strong as much as it was their wings. UVa won a bunch of crucial faceoffs when LaSalla won the draw to himself and kept the Princeton wings from affecting play.
What happened to Schwenk? He was very good last season at nearly 60%. Only 34% so far this year.
Drcthru wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 pm So here we are at the same point as last year. While there are few "good loses", after today's Towson/Loyola game our two don't look quite as bad. Can we turn it around again?
Came out from Loyola/Towson even more impressed with Towson than I was when we played them. They are solid at every position. Fantastic FOGO and goalie, good defense as usual (especially at the defensive midfield), and they finally have an offense as this Sunday kid has come out of nowhere and the Canadian McLean is scoring some goals. The thing that was always holding this team back was its offense. If Nadelen has suddenly found some guys who can shoot the ball, which appears to have happened, then there's absolutely no reason that team can't make another Final Four. Hard to spot many weaknesses. They remind me a little of Yale last year. No Ben Reeves but they may not need someone like him.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:20 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:59 pm anyone have a preview of what saturday should look like and what if any changes they expect in the lineup for us?
Is Jack Lyne hurt, again. Hasn't played a lick this season, last I checked.

pgct.
I believe he's finally healthy, but the Jays are pretty set at LSM with Kuhn and Reinson. He may get a shot next year after Kuhn graduates. He's a junior but still has two more years of playing eligibility after 2019. So who knows. A major injury in your freshman season can derail your whole career. I hope he's able to contribute before his time is up but it's unlikely to be this season.
HowieT3 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:42 pm It wasn't so much the play of the Princeton FOGOs that was strong as much as it was their wings. UVa won a bunch of crucial faceoffs when LaSalla won the draw to himself and kept the Princeton wings from affecting play.
What happened to Schwenk? He was very good last season at nearly 60%. Only 34% so far this year.
Drcthru wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:26 pm So here we are at the same point as last year. While there are few "good loses", after today's Towson/Loyola game our two don't look quite as bad. Can we turn it around again?
Came out from Loyola/Towson even more impressed with Towson than I was when we played them. They are solid at every position. Fantastic FOGO and goalie, good defense as usual (especially at the defensive midfield), and they finally have an offense as this Sunday kid has come out of nowhere and the Canadian McLean is scoring some goals. The thing that was always holding this team back was its offense. If Nadelen has suddenly found some guys who can shoot the ball, which appears to have happened, then there's absolutely no reason that team can't make another Final Four. Hard to spot many weaknesses. They remind me a little of Yale last year. No Ben Reeves but they may not need someone like him.
Towson is very good. Not many weaknesses at all. That’s a good comp to Yale’s 2018 team. Loyola is good too. Fun game last night.
“I wish you would!”
viper

Post by viper »

WeWantMoreLax wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm
Absolutely agreee. In fact I hopped on here just to see what people had to say about the “other battle for Charles Street” tonight. I feel like it said as much for the Blue Jays as it did for either of the teams playing. No shame in a loss to either of those teams.

That said, our guys will probably need to figure out how to beat at least one of them at some point later in the year.
Regardless of the outcome tonight, I am less concerned with the fact that Hopkins lost to both than I am with how they lost.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Indeed...The Jays were hammered in each of those games.
When was the last time ANY team scored 8 goals in a quarter against the Jays ? :cry:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They've stopped adding "projected lineups" to the weekly game notes, which is probably for the best since those were often not accurate anyway. Instead they've put in a list of "key personnel" at each position: Baskin, DeSimone, Concannon, Keogh, Smith, Cattoni, and Zinn are the offensive middies listed. Shilling is the only attackman listed other than the three starters, probably because he comes on for EMO. McManus has been added to the list of SSDMs.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/hopkinssports. ... nceton.pdf

Also for those interested, Rob Kuhn is doing a Twitter Q&A right now on the NCAA Lax account: https://twitter.com/ncaalax?lang=en
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

From US Lacrosse Magazine. "Hopkins finds itself in familiar territory".
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -territory
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

everyone has youth, that's not an excuse and it's been the knowns-the 6v6 and upper classmen-danny jones, cole williams, concannon et al who have failed the team thus far. Ironically as I pointed out we've started games ok, it's just been the 2/3 quarters which have been killing fields.

Princeton has a blurb on a kid from Tinney's alma mater who's been a vacuum cleaner on faceoffs thus far from the wing for them and is also spotlighted in the hopkins game notes. Hubler has to win that matchup.

https://goprincetontigers.com/news/2019 ... ?path=mlax
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:18 pm From US Lacrosse Magazine. "Hopkins finds itself in familiar territory".
Haven’t read that link yet, but I’m wondering if “deep doo” will be in there.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:19 pm
Drcthru wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:18 pm From US Lacrosse Magazine. "Hopkins finds itself in familiar territory".
Haven’t read that link yet, but I’m wondering if “deep doo” will be in there.
Nice couple of paragraphs.

Perhaps all is not lost. I remember two years ago though, going up to Princeton with friends, and watching a debacle.

The only good thing about that trip was drinking beer and meeting the new AD before the game. I should have stayed in the bar.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I don't know why, but I'm never a fan of the Princeton game. It always seems like certain death of a season we lose, and the winning doesn't add up to the reward it should. I just never look forward to this one, though Sowers is fun to watch.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

“Technical difficulties please stand by”
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:03 pm “Technical difficulties please stand by”
Just barely in time.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Best game of the year so far by Foley. Doing a great job against Sowers.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Good
Goaltending and faceoffs continue to improve. Darby and Narewski look like strong 4 year solutions.
foley doing great work on sowers
rare miscue by rapine who is maybe the most underrated player on the team
epstein aggressive-those will fall eventually
Marr
Good timeout to save possesion and a great shot. 3 at point blank that didn't fall.
Evan zinn continues to make noise.
Foley on sowers.
2nd quarter had been a disaster area, better today.
Great clear by owen late in 2nd quarter.
we've played well enough to be up 2-3 goals.

whatever
Hubler especially and jones held up ok
Good to see prouty get some run and pick up a win.
Where would we be w/out switch to 39 at f/o in towson game?
Kuhn on the wing now for reinson. 87 has struggled.

bad
espn production was a dumpster fire. technical difficulties then at end of periods the clock went haywire.
first midfield-prouty got 6 quarters before they made a change. these guys have had 14 now and continue to produce nothing but turnovers.
williams, every time he gets the ball 4 guys collapse on him or he thinks they are and he turns it over.
No backup on 3 shots in transition handing ball back to princeton-one goal tho from a zinn rebound.
8 has to get that gb off the reinson play on man down.
no offensive efficiency or rhythm at all, they get possessions, and can't do anything.
Manup aside from marr has nothing doing.
toughest half of epsteins career but a great check leads to a blown clear late.
have I said the first midfield sucks?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the first midfield. WHY????????
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

I get ESPN wanting to make cord cutters pay but if I have cable and pay for ESPN that way I should get it for free. I'm not paying twice.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Nice win for the Jays. Welcome back Cole Williams and a great performance from Baskin.

Still don't like the size out of the midfield. You can get away with that vs IVY but you cant vs ACC or B1G.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:13 pm Nice win for the Jays. Welcome back Cole Williams and a great performance from Baskin.

Still don't like the size out of the midfield. You can get away with that vs IVY but you cant vs ACC or B1G.

Good game for the Jays.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”