Maryland 2022 National Champions

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Essexfenwick

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^ wouldn’t it be the number one pro pick Donville?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:37 pm ^^ wouldn’t it be the number one pro pick Donville?
If Maryland were playing box lacrosse then yeah sure. I’m not even saying he won’t be that guy. I’m just saying it’s not obvious who that guy could be for Maryland, and that is unusual.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:53 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:37 pm ^^ wouldn’t it be the number one pro pick Donville?
If Maryland were playing box lacrosse then yeah sure. I’m not even saying he won’t be that guy. I’m just saying it’s not obvious who that guy could be for Maryland, and that is unusual.
Rambo and Bernhardt are historically great players. Not even worth discussing replacing players like that. There a several guys on the level of Haus, Heacock, Kelly etc. almost every year and this year is no exception. They're fine there. If you want to talk about backfilling a giant talent loss, it would be Nick Grill. Also a key issue, as it seems every year, is the face-off and will Maryland be at a disadvantage again when it counts.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:28 am
Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:49 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:09 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm Have heard from a few people with direct knowledge that DeMaio will enroll in the winter ahead of the spring semester.

So the Terps lose only Bernhardt from the offense and Grill from the defense. The entire rope unit returns (although I've heard Alex Smith had knee surgery this summer but is expected to return in time for the season).

Subtract Bernhardt but add Khan and Donville. I have no idea how all of the pieces fit on offense. The amount of talent is absurd.
There’s no question that the talent pool is deep, they are the heavy favorites in the B1G and likely a top 5-7 team, or better. The question I have is who is the truly elite guy? Most championship teams have one on the offensive end. Maryland has been fortunate to have that guy for the last 9 years. 2013 (Haus, Bernhardt, Chanenchuk) 2014-17 (Rambo and Heacock), 2018 (Kelly), 2019-21 (Bernhardt).

I think that there are some guys who can maybe do it. Maybe…, But someone will have to do it for them to be a legitimate title contender.
I'd put money on Long being the guy who can always draw a slide. He's not the goal scorer that Bernhardt was, but he's the best pure passer that Maryland has had in a long, long time. It's going to be interesting to see what Khan does with so much talent around him.

Long, Fairman, Khan, Malever, and Donville can all draw slides. With an entire rope unit that likes to run coming back, a goalie that can hit outlet passes, and all of that talent on offense, It's going to be the hardest offense to game plan against. And we haven't even mentioned the defense, which is going to be really good again this season.

Think you gotta have UVA at 1 and MD at 2.
Agreed it’s a very good group. But right now I don’t see the guy that drops 10pts vs UM in a B1G tournament game, 5Gs against Notre Dame, 7pts in the semifinals vs Duke; all while being the focal point of every scouting report. This is the first time in a decade where it’s pretty hard to say Maryland has a player like that.

Tillman deserves the benefit of the doubt, but there’s a lot to be said for having an alpha. Shellenberger, Gray, Bernhardt, Ament- they make a huge difference.
Hmm…the guy wearing #1 ;)
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:49 pm
Wheels wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:27 pm Have heard from a few people with direct knowledge that DeMaio will enroll in the winter ahead of the spring semester.

So the Terps lose only Bernhardt from the offense and Grill from the defense. The entire rope unit returns (although I've heard Alex Smith had knee surgery this summer but is expected to return in time for the season).

Subtract Bernhardt but add Khan and Donville. I have no idea how all of the pieces fit on offense. The amount of talent is absurd.
There’s no question that the talent pool is deep, they are the heavy favorites in the B1G and likely a top 5-7 team, or better. The question I have is who is the truly elite guy? Most championship teams have one on the offensive end. Maryland has been fortunate to have that guy for the last 9 years. 2013 (Haus, Bernhardt, Chanenchuk) 2014-17 (Rambo and Heacock), 2018 (Kelly), 2019-21 (Bernhardt).

I think that there are some guys who can maybe do it. Maybe…, But someone will have to do it for them to be a legitimate title contender.
I'd put money on Long being the guy who can always draw a slide. He's not the goal scorer that Bernhardt was, but he's the best pure passer that Maryland has had in a long, long time. It's going to be interesting to see what Khan does with so much talent around him.

Long, Fairman, Khan, Malever, and Donville can all draw slides. With an entire rope unit that likes to run coming back, a goalie that can hit outlet passes, and all of that talent on offense, It's going to be the hardest offense to game plan against. And we haven't even mentioned the defense, which is going to be really good again this season.

Agreed it’s a very good group. But right now I don’t see the guy that drops 10pts vs UM in a B1G tournament game, 5Gs against Notre Dame, 7pts in the semifinals vs Duke; all while being the focal point of every scouting report. This is the first time in a decade where it’s pretty hard to say Maryland has a player like that.

Tillman deserves the benefit of the doubt, but there’s a lot to be said for having an alpha. Shellenberger, Gray, Bernhardt, Ament- they make a huge difference.
Yeah that attitude has worked great for Syracuse.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:31 pm

But it's worked for Maryland
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:10 pm

How may finals can Maryland screw up? They didn't look like they were ready to play last go around. No one cares if you can't get it done when it matters.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:58 pm

Rambo and Bernhardt are historically great players.

Not even worth discussing replacing players like that. There a several guys on the level of Haus, Heacock, Kelly etc. almost every year and this year is no exception. They're fine there. If you want to talk about backfilling a giant talent loss, it would be Nick Grill. Also a key issue, as it seems every year, is the face-off and will Maryland be at a disadvantage again when it counts.
Yes they are,
sure fire Hall of Famers,

Rambo would be one of a very short list of Pennsylvania
prep players in the Hall of Fame,

pretty sure but not positive, there are no Florida prep
players in the Hall of Fame.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:43 pm

Not even worth discussing replacing players like that. There a several guys on the level of Haus, Heacock, Kelly etc. almost every year and this year is no exception. They're fine there. If you want to talk about backfilling a giant talent loss, it would be Nick Grill. Also a key issue, as it seems every year, is the face-off and will Maryland be at a disadvantage again when it counts.
Yes they are,

Didn't Rambo get shut out in the championship game? Not a generational player. Hahn and Wipple were better.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Yes they are,

Didn't Rambo get shut out in the championship game? Not a generational player. Hahn and Wipple were better.
Stay Woke! That's the most important thing. It MD keeps losing in the finals that's ok as long as the team stays woke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yes they are,

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

Hahn and Wipple ??

Flock are you talking about ?
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Yes they are,

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

Hahn and Wipple ??

In the 95 semis Dougherty was the best goalie that I have ever seen. Almost single handedly won MD the game. Better than Rambo, no doubt.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Worked great for Cuse for quite awhile too. Until it didn’t. Point being wearing a number does make a damn bit of difference.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:40 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Yes they are,

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot,

Hahn and Wipple ??

In the 95 semis Dougherty was the best goalie that I have ever seen. Almost single handedly won MD the game. Better than Rambo, no doubt.
Well they play different positions. And one has a national championship and a Tewaaraton, the other doesn’t.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:02 pm

Yes they are,

Stay Woke! That's the most important thing. It MD keeps losing in the finals that's ok as long as the team stays woke.
Nothing like getting slobbering drunk on a Saturday night and trolling on a lacrosse message board. Hope you had fun.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:46 am

Yes they are,

Nothing like getting slobbering drunk on a Saturday night and trolling on a lacrosse message board. Hope you had fun.
I was talking to a buddy who played for MD football last night when I saw all this stuff come through. Don’t know if you are old enough to have paid attention, he graduated in like early 90s, about ten years older than me, by the name of MIke Jarmolowich. Great dude. Think he was possibly all conference a year or two (and he modeled underwear for Kevin plank way back as well).

Just had me thinking of the good folks I know from UMD and then you have this here above.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 am

Yes they are,

I was talking to a buddy who played for MD football last night when I saw all this stuff come through. Don’t know if you are old enough to have paid attention, he graduated in like early 90s, about ten years older than me, by the name of MIke Jarmolowich. Great dude. Think he was possibly all conference a year or two (and he modeled underwear for Kevin plank way back as well).

Just had me thinking of the good folks I know from UMD and then you have this here above.
great linebacker
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:20 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:50 am

Yes they are,

great linebacker
Very good person too.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:32 pm

How may finals can Maryland screw up? They didn't look like they were ready to play last go around. No one cares if you can't get it done when it matters.
Lol wut? What kind of revisionist bs is this? IIRC they came out and took an early lead against UVA and ended up losing by one to an excellent team. And other than the UNC loss the Terps were clearly not the better team in their other championship defeats. All of those teams over performed just to get there.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

FWIW. The UMD football stats show Dante Trader, perhaps a two sport player as a lax midfielder, had five tackles yesterday as a DB.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”