Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu93

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu93 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:49 pm
mdlaxfan wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:36 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:54 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 am 06 isn't a former player???

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.
You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.
Yes, for the spring at least:

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/7/2 ... ebook.aspx
It's All Academic – Part I
In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

It's All Academic – Part II
Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.
What he’s saying is it doesn’t contribute to his sense of identity which is clearly wrapped up in his college extending to all aspects including ones with no personal stake.
Is that what he is saying? Wow, I bet that no one wants to be like you when they grow up.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Yikes, I'd been assuming he was, and in my mind, deserving of a bit of slack for being so sharply critical.
You can't be serious. 06? Has anyone read any of his posts? Feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:49 amAre you sure about that GPA? I think it was more likely 2.6, not 3.6.

In case you missed it, a school-record 20 Blue Jays earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in the spring and 11 were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

Johns Hopkins posted a combined team GPA of 3.58 in the spring with five players posting a perfect 4.0 GPA for the semester.
Don't know what the full year team GPA was but the point is these kids are doing just fine.
06 keeps trashing the women's team, most recently saying that they never contributed to any of the classes he attended in his 4 years there, implying that they are just a bunch of dumb kids and don't belong at JHU academically. This is getting old. In the most recent semester, they posted a 3.71 average GPA and had 6 players with a perfect 4.0 GPA. They also have 9 players who have a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or greater.
What he’s saying is it doesn’t contribute to his sense of identity which is clearly wrapped up in his college extending to all aspects including ones with no personal stake.
Is that what he is saying? Wow, I bet that no one wants to be like you when they grow up.
Playa!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 pm

No really no one likes you. Rocky Dennis is a better role model. I hope that you don't pass your genetics down to another generation.

Playa!
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

jhu93 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:37 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 pm

No really no one likes you. Rocky Dennis is a better role model. I hope that you don't pass your genetics down to another generation.

Playa!
Stay woke, that's the most important thing. No one before 2020 was woke enough, so their accomplishments don't count. Have Doc Ugly decide who was sufficiently woke, if they don't make the cut forget them. Lewis, the Gaits, the Powels, not woke enough. Their accomplishments mean nothing.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This is when you miss the maddog moderators of Laxpower because these last few posts would have been deleted and I might not have had to read them thinking there was actually some news or real discussion of the thread topic - Johns Hopkins lacrosse in 2022.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:12 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:38 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:32 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins,
I actually might take the other side of this position - of course ignorance being bliss I have no idea the content or the difficulty of the courses being offered at JHU today. BUT - in my lizard brain I imagine a place where there might be a greater variety of courses and a greater awareness of what the undergraduate might need in terms of instruction. Back on my lawn - there were very few places to hide and find gut courses and many of the professors had no idea how to teach - and likely had only a small bit of concern for it - research was king even back then. There were two famous courses that most/all the lacrosse players took - hell everybody tried to take them because you needed some guaranteed high grades - there was a meterology/weather course (which actually was quite impossible except for the fact that the professor made a point of disappearing for the entirety of any exam so anything went) AND the infamous Sex&Money course taught by the famous and controversial John Money. But many lacrosse players had to suffer through things like freshmen chemistry taught by 'ol Dean Robinson which was quite possibly the most incomprehensible thing I have ever experienced. I can still remember walking out of the freshmen Chem final with Gil Cruz and we both thought we were never going to be allowed back.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm bc and northwestern aside from bc mens hockey have not been major athletics players. Florida probably thinks it's spelled la crosse with a space and james madison isn't an athletic powerhouse. If maryland and all those schools can build decent womens teams there's no excuse for hop not to.

Speaking of ign....never mind but here's a clue '06 - athletic prowess in other sports does not determine whether you can attract great female lacrosse players - it doesn't determine it for male lacrosse players either or Hopkins would never have been successful.

Alot of it has to do with comfort in your surroundings. Hopkins is not exactly famous for its legacy with females having only started to allow them about 50 years ago and just until very recently the school was always a higher percentage of males. Unlike the men's team - there is no notable historical legacy of women's lacrosse so the program was starting out from scratch just like all the others. When I was at Hopkins they used to make the women play in a cow pasture over by Garland Hall. Then there is the very uncomfotable topic of diversity. To its credit Hopkins is one of the most diverse universities in the country - latest stats apparently show the non white/white breakout in undergraduates to be essentially 60/40. That's not exactly the make-up of a women's lacrosse team - I counted 42 players on the JHU women's team - you have 4 non white players? Compare that to JMU for example, where the non white/white breakdown of over 20,000 people is 25/75 and the women's lacrosse team appears to be 0/100. Don't sneer at JMU - it has alot of wealth - basically you drop two of the richest counties in the country - Fairfax and Loudoun - and tons of those kids are from there. I don't know what today's version of North Face jackets and Ugg boots is - but I can assure you - everyone at JMU has it. Their football team - while admittedly in the lower division - has won 2 national titles in recent past and if you have not been you would be shocked - shocked - at the attendance and passion over those games. Their stadium now seats 25,000 people and every home game is packed with folks making the 2 hour drive or less from NOVA and there are parking lots packed with the purple and gold pinwheel tents. I had no kid attend JMU BTW - just know a bunch of people that went there.

And your academic snobbery is just tiresome.

Anyway - it will be interesting to see what PM and crew pull out of this '23 class and where they come from. Supposedly the class is rich in goalie prospects but Lawas already reclassified to '23. He's so tiny though.
I’m a pro at rte 81 and my mother had a timeshare near Harrisonburg Va so familiar w JMU campus and area. I always presumed it was for kids who didn’t get into W&L, UVA or W&M
When at Hop (65-69) most Baltimorons thought of us as over-educated idiots!
Are you still drinking red wine in Columbia SC these days? :)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

2nd/3rd week in september is usually when they do annual pictures for the team website and then update the roster so I'm sure we'll get last minute clarification on roster over the next week or so.

N-L had an article that the school made the freshmen student activities fair where kids learn about clubs and stuff on campus virtual so despite the vaccination rates doesn't seem like we should assume the season and all its facets of returning to normal are safe.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:46 pm N-L had an article that the school made the freshmen student activities fair where kids learn about clubs and stuff on campus virtual so despite the vaccination rates doesn't seem like we should assume the season and all its facets of returning to normal are safe.
Absolute vintage 06 that you don't even bother to read the first few sentences of the article you're citing.
Though the University initially announced plans to hold the event in person, the event was shifted online to HopkinsGroups. In an email to The News-Letter, LEED Director Calvin Smith, Jr. explained that insufficient space was the primary reason for the switch to a virtual format.

“Typically, the Student Involvement Fair is hosted in the Ralph O'Connor Recreation Center, [which] is currently under construction,” he wrote. “Despite our colleagues' best efforts, unfortunately the building will not be completed in time.”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

when I was there it was outside.

we're tied for 9th in us news w/duke and northwestern. All the changes daniels has been making and $ flowing in, I expected higher as did they I'm sure to be honest.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am when I was there it was outside.

we're tied for 9th in us news w/duke and northwestern. All the changes daniels has been making and $ flowing in, I expected higher as did they I'm sure to be honest.
Pretty good ranking for Hopkins. Ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Virginia, and Georgetown among academic/lacrosse rivals.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:47 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:28 am when I was there it was outside.

Pretty good ranking for Hopkins. Ahead of Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, Virginia, and Georgetown among academic/lacrosse rivals.

DocBarrister 8-)
Excellent ranking but seems like a pretty loose definition of rival.
molo

Post by molo »

Three Ivies, a “Public Ivy,” and an institution that is as selective as an Ivy. Excellent fit academically, comparable lax history as a few of them, different league than one of them. With paper from both the PI and JHU, I like this definition of rivalry. Good company for all.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 pm Three Ivies, a “Public Ivy,” and an institution that is as selective as an Ivy. Excellent fit academically, comparable lax history as a few of them, different league than one of them. With paper from both the PI and JHU, I like this definition of rivalry. Good company for all.
Is brown a big hard sciences school? When I was accepted there way back when it was more liberal arts oriented maybe that’s changed. I’m thinking of cultural and where the specific strengths lie-like the lady in the black jeopardy snl skit says about Caitlyn Jenner being in a magazine cover “mmm I don’t know she can’t do everything”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

molo wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:21 pm Three Ivies, a “Public Ivy,” and an institution that is as selective as an Ivy. Excellent fit academically, comparable lax history as a few of them, different league than one of them. With paper from both the PI and JHU, I like this definition of rivalry. Good company for all.
Let's just say that I appreciate my alma mater making the list... ;)

Higher than some on the academic side...only some (few) years better on the lax side...glad to be remembered at all!

That said, chasing US News ranking is a foolish game...
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

There used to be somebody on LP (was it JHU72?) who used to rail against chasing the USN&WR rankings.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:55 pm There used to be somebody on LP (was it JHU72?) who used to rail against chasing the USN&WR rankings.
I can’t stand USNWR for a million reasons but it has real world implications so unless there’s collective action against it by higher ed it’s something you have to play ball with principles be darned.

But fighting over 8 vs 9 or 10 vs 12 feels like low stakes petty academic fights. No employer on a generalist hire is going to care one bit between any of these schools beyond which one is their alma mater.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:55 pm There used to be somebody on LP (was it JHU72?) who used to rail against chasing the USN&WR rankings.
I can’t stand USNWR for a million reasons but it has real world implications so unless there’s collective action against it by higher ed it’s something you have to play ball with principles be darned.

But fighting over 8 vs 9 or 10 vs 12 feels like low stakes petty academic fights. No employer on a generalist hire is going to care one bit between any of these schools beyond which one is their alma mater.
Yes, jhu72 still despises the rankings.

But it’s not a matter of whether there is truth in the rankings (that is, are these really the “best” colleges?).

It’s marketing. There are lots of good colleges out there, and top students (and their families) will have their choices. Being in the U.S. News top ten is simply good marketing. Can only help.

As for Brown, it has a respectable medical school and school of public health.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Let's just say that I appreciate my alma mater making the list... ;)

Higher than some on the academic side...only some (few) years better on the lax side...glad to be remembered at all!

That said, chasing US News ranking is a foolish game...
Dartmouth … excellent academics, gorgeous campus, athletic students, kinda plays lacrosse.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Was just told the Jays were in on the Canadian Thompson kid that just flipped from Michigan to Syracuse. The battle for the recruits up north will be an interesting battle to watch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:05 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Yes, jhu72 still despises the rankings.

But it’s not a matter of whether there is truth in the rankings (that is, are these really the “best” colleges?).

It’s marketing. There are lots of good colleges out there, and top students (and their families) will have their choices. Being in the U.S. News top ten is simply good marketing. Can only help.

As for Brown, it has a respectable medical school and school of public health.

DocBarrister
I agree with most of it, maybe just take a narrower view of rival but whatever gets your competitive juices flowing. You get the joke of it, form over substance. I find it odd to compare the SAs to
NESCAC, UAA, CC and LL type schools but a few years back they moved them into the liberal arts category.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”