Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

hmmm wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:05 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am I've never understood the concept of good academics d3 schools having amazing sports teams. Is it that kids who aren't good enough to play d1 just want the best education possible? You see williams and amherst at the top of these things all the time and it's hard to really understand what their admissions directors and school Presidents are thinking. What is the real objective for amherst having amazing sports teams when what they're selling is academics. It's not like they're making $$$ off their football team.
There's no scholarship money so it's not costing them a ton. And a lot of those NESCAC schools have a long history in athletics and the alumni take a lot of pride in it. Success in athletics helps drive alumni donations to the school.
Competition is competition. Winners and losers.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:22 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:27 am I've never understood the concept of good academics d3 schools having amazing sports teams. Is it that kids who aren't good enough to play d1 just want the best education possible? You see williams and amherst at the top of these things all the time and it's hard to really understand what their admissions directors and school Presidents are thinking. What is the real objective for amherst having amazing sports teams when what they're selling is academics. It's not like they're making $$$ off their football team.
There's no scholarship money so it's not costing them a ton. And a lot of those NESCAC schools have a long history in athletics and the alumni take a lot of pride in it. Success in athletics helps drive alumni donations to the school.
I think it's akin to why the Ivies support sports so strongly (albeit don't expect to compete nationally anymore with football). Note that Ivies have more sports programs, and more athletes as a proportion of total students, than do any other D1 schools.

There's an actual notion that they're developing leaders for the future, not simply trying to crank out the top academic talents. And that the athletes have a pretty darn good track record in that respect.

There's also tradition, school camaraderie, and spirit elements and certainly there's been a willingness of the athlete alums to financially contribute heavily to the ongoing upkeep of their respective sports, and athletics overall.

And unlike most D1's, the athletes don't cost the school in tuition aid any more than the rest of the student body, indeed maybe even a bit less.

The NESCAC's have had much the same attitude and for much the same reasons. Simply DIII. Indeed, also a lower total time commitment required.

As to why athletes choose to go to these schools, I'm sure it's akin to why DIII athletes choose to go to Hopkins, expectations of strong academics, competitive sports, and excellent brand recognition of diploma.

However, I don't think there are a lot of Ivy qualified athletes who choose to go to NESCAC (if anything, the Amherst, Williams, Middlebury etc academic requirements are stiffer for athletes than Ivies; darn close in any case); more often it's that a kid is bubble athletically for an Ivy but courted by the NESCAC; of course, lots of those 'bubble' kids end up being terrific as they further mature. And, sure, expectation of being a starter would be a factor. There are also sure to be exceptions, family ties, etc.

But, I don't think there are many high D1 athlete recruits who opt for NESCAC over Ivy...they might have been recruited at lower academic/athletic D1 schools, but had academic ambitions beyond those schools...so a NESCAC would be a huge win for that kid. Same for Hop in its DIII sports.
It wasn’t a serious comment it was a backdoor trashing by someone who can’t understand
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

First e-mail update sent out by PM - nice note - no earth shattering news or thoughts - "Team DNA" "Standard of Excellence" "Excitement/Energy" etc etc.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:38 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:32 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am I'm sure things used to be much easier for lax players academically at Hopkins,
I actually might take the other side of this position - of course ignorance being bliss I have no idea the content or the difficulty of the courses being offered at JHU today. BUT - in my lizard brain I imagine a place where there might be a greater variety of courses and a greater awareness of what the undergraduate might need in terms of instruction. Back on my lawn - there were very few places to hide and find gut courses and many of the professors had no idea how to teach - and likely had only a small bit of concern for it - research was king even back then. There were two famous courses that most/all the lacrosse players took - hell everybody tried to take them because you needed some guaranteed high grades - there was a meterology/weather course (which actually was quite impossible except for the fact that the professor made a point of disappearing for the entirety of any exam so anything went) AND the infamous Sex&Money course taught by the famous and controversial John Money. But many lacrosse players had to suffer through things like freshmen chemistry taught by 'ol Dean Robinson which was quite possibly the most incomprehensible thing I have ever experienced. I can still remember walking out of the freshmen Chem final with Gil Cruz and we both thought we were never going to be allowed back.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:26 pm bc and northwestern aside from bc mens hockey have not been major athletics players. Florida probably thinks it's spelled la crosse with a space and james madison isn't an athletic powerhouse. If maryland and all those schools can build decent womens teams there's no excuse for hop not to.

Speaking of ign....never mind but here's a clue '06 - athletic prowess in other sports does not determine whether you can attract great female lacrosse players - it doesn't determine it for male lacrosse players either or Hopkins would never have been successful.

Alot of it has to do with comfort in your surroundings. Hopkins is not exactly famous for its legacy with females having only started to allow them about 50 years ago and just until very recently the school was always a higher percentage of males. Unlike the men's team - there is no notable historical legacy of women's lacrosse so the program was starting out from scratch just like all the others. When I was at Hopkins they used to make the women play in a cow pasture over by Garland Hall. Then there is the very uncomfotable topic of diversity. To its credit Hopkins is one of the most diverse universities in the country - latest stats apparently show the non white/white breakout in undergraduates to be essentially 60/40. That's not exactly the make-up of a women's lacrosse team - I counted 42 players on the JHU women's team - you have 4 non white players? Compare that to JMU for example, where the non white/white breakdown of over 20,000 people is 25/75 and the women's lacrosse team appears to be 0/100. Don't sneer at JMU - it has alot of wealth - basically you drop two of the richest counties in the country - Fairfax and Loudoun - and tons of those kids are from there. I don't know what today's version of North Face jackets and Ugg boots is - but I can assure you - everyone at JMU has it. Their football team - while admittedly in the lower division - has won 2 national titles in recent past and if you have not been you would be shocked - shocked - at the attendance and passion over those games. Their stadium now seats 25,000 people and every home game is packed with folks making the 2 hour drive or less from NOVA and there are parking lots packed with the purple and gold pinwheel tents. I had no kid attend JMU BTW - just know a bunch of people that went there.

And your academic snobbery is just tiresome.

Anyway - it will be interesting to see what PM and crew pull out of this '23 class and where they come from. Supposedly the class is rich in goalie prospects but Lawas already reclassified to '23. He's so tiny though.
I’m a pro at rte 81 and my mother had a timeshare near Harrisonburg Va so familiar w JMU campus and area. I always presumed it was for kids who didn’t get into W&L, UVA or W&M
When at Hop (65-69) most Baltimorons thought of us as over-educated idiots!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I wonder what was going on with Prouty last spring.
Was he injured or was he struggling to adapt to the new grip rules?
Either way, he could potentially get his game back next spring. Either he recovers or a year with coach K could make a difference for him.
The coaches clearly wanted him back for a fifth year. I hope he can return to form.
The kid Callahan looks pretty good on paper too. Could be a bit of a rotation at the X going forward.
molo

Post by molo »

I was in hs and college then, and most Baltimoreans that I knew thought of Hopkins as the best medical complex in the world, an elite university, and the best lax program in history. Maybe I just didn’t know the right Baltimoreans or the right Hopkins students from places outside Baltimore.
On hearing that I was going to UVA, my grandfather, by then a retired Baltimore City Lt. Detective, asked my mother, “I thought he was smart. Why isn’t he going to Hopkins?”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A bit surprised by how slow the 2023 recruiting process is going (relative to last year) but I guess since kids can actually visit schools in person now they're taking advantage. I know that at least one top ranked middie out of IMG visited campus the other day but haven't heard a whole lot about others yet. I suspect we'll be a contender of Chauvette's brother, who has been called one of if not the best shooter in the class by more than one outlet. He put up something like 60 goals as a sophomore for a very good Lawrenceville team, following coach Posner there from Culver.

PM's first fall email was nice, though brief as 51 mentioned. Was hoping he might specify one position for Maher to maybe get a sense of where he's most likely to land but they're still calling him "A/M" for now.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:04 pm A bit surprised by how slow the 2023 recruiting process is going (relative to last year) but I guess since kids can actually visit schools in person now they're taking advantage. I know that at least one top ranked middie out of IMG visited campus the other day but haven't heard a whole lot about others yet. I suspect we'll be a contender of Chauvette's brother, who has been called one of if not the best shooter in the class by more than one outlet. He put up something like 60 goals as a sophomore for a very good Lawrenceville team, following coach Posner there from Culver.

PM's first fall email was nice, though brief as 51 mentioned. Was hoping he might specify one position for Maher to maybe get a sense of where he's most likely to land but they're still calling him "A/M" for now.
Can't really compare things to last year. As you said the 22s couldn't take visits so they were doing several zoom calls a day and could make a decision fairly quickly. If you look at the commit dates from the 2021 class most kids didn't start committing until late September and most were in early/mid October.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

It's a struggle to identify and project playing talent and emotional/academic maturity under normal circumstances, 2 years of disruption it can't be any easier now.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Mark your calendar for Sunday, Oct. 24.

https://headstrong.org/headstrong-fall- ... ve-events/

“The Blue Jays will host Hobart, High Point, Harvard and Richmond that day beginning at 9 a.m.”
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

23 recruits are open and no commits for the Jays. PM really is taking a different approach.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:57 pm 23 recruits are open and no commits for the Jays. PM really is taking a different approach.
To be fair a ton of schools don't have any commits yet including Duke, Loyola, Yale, Penn, etc. as well as the perennial early recruiter Maryland. UNC just got their first one today. I just think the process is moving slower this year. I know kids are visiting campus and I'm sure there are some offers out but most kids seem to be taking their time with it. Maybe when more of the top kids decide the dominos will start to fall. If Millon to PSU was such a sure thing I'd have thought it'd happen by now. My guess is he ends up elsewhere.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:06 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:57 pm 23 recruits are open and no commits for the Jays. PM really is taking a different approach.
To be fair a ton of schools don't have any commits yet including Duke, Loyola, Yale, Penn, etc. as well as the perennial early recruiter Maryland. UNC just got their first one today. I just think the process is moving slower this year. I know kids are visiting campus and I'm sure there are some offers out but most kids seem to be taking their time with it. Maybe when more of the top kids decide the dominos will start to fall. If Millon to PSU was such a sure thing I'd have thought it'd happen by now. My guess is he ends up elsewhere.
Why not Cuse? They seem to be loading up.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:06 pm
Yes, we are in new territory. I think at this point you are still going to have big misses but the physical maturation part in most cases has resolved itself. As far as Milliman is concerned, I think he looks locker room/field about 50/50. Hopefully things don’t devolve to the point where visits are difficult again. Nothing like looking somebody in the eye. 😒
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Could really use some news of some kind . . .
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 pm Could really use some news of some kind . . .
Looks like John Grant Jr. is up in Canada and the team is doing the 110 floor run at Homewood. On the recruiting front still fairly quiet.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:37 pm Could really use some news of some kind . . .
IL's #41 ranked player, an attackman from St. Anthony's/Team 91, was on campus yesterday and posted an Instagram photo from inside Cordish captioned "incredible visit." The process is very much in motion—kids are just taking their time with decisions/visits. Most have started school so one would think are now generally limited to weekend visits, which extends the timeline a bit.

Only 10 of IL's top 50 have committed so far. Duke, Maryland, Loyola, Penn, Lehigh, Rutgers still with none, among others. Cuse has four, but the other three ACCs only have one each.

Technically, if you count Lawas, we already have a 4-star goalie in this class. Speaking of that, unless they plan to double up on '23 goalies, then we still need a '22 goalie.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Good job to JHU, and others, for their 110 story stairs run for 9/11.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:14 pm
Competition is competition. Winners and losers.
So profound lol.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:35 pm
IL's #41 ranked player, an attackman from St. Anthony's/Team 91, was on campus yesterday and posted an Instagram photo from inside Cordish captioned "incredible visit." The process is very much in motion—kids are just taking their time with decisions/visits. Most have started school so one would think are now generally limited to weekend visits, which extends the timeline a bit.

Only 10 of IL's top 50 have committed so far. Duke, Maryland, Loyola, Penn, Lehigh, Rutgers still with none, among others. Cuse has four, but the other three ACCs only have one each.

Technically, if you count Lawas, we already have a 4-star goalie in this class. Speaking of that, unless they plan to double up on '23 goalies, then we still need a '22 goalie.
Are you still worried about someone on the team catching Covid and dying? Are you allowed to pee standing up? Inquiring minds want to know.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”