All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

kramerica.inc

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by kramerica.inc »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:33 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:57 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:22 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:01 am Good to hear they will be studying this.

My wife experienced some odd side effects after the Pfizer. Heard a few anecdotal stories of others as well.

https://covid19.nih.gov/news-and-storie ... rual-cycle
... I assume these passed after a period of time?
No. Been weird and unpredictable since March.
... interesting.
This is the reason many are leery of getting the shot. They're quickly labeled anti vaxers or conspiracy theorists but that's not necessarily the case at all. There are still a lot of unknowns here and time will tell whether there was anything to be concerned about or not, but as of right now we don't know that.
Sincerely hope all turns out well, kram...and for everyone else too.
Thanks. Hope it subsides and it's nothing to worry about long term.
We aren't antivaxers art all. But if this becomes linked, even if its a harmless inconvenience, I could see people trying to have a baby having second thoughts or waiting.
jhu72

Re: Love to c DocB bash this

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 am
a fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:52 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am a fan, perhaps that's a rhetorical question and you're somehow playing gothcha with rrr?
No, I was getting him to clarify his statement.

And as you saw, we found that his doctor told him not to get the vaccine because of his own personal risk profile.

And as Dis just said----no one, and I mean no one in America has a problem with that. I wish RRR the best of health, and completely understand why he wouldn't take the shot.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am Early on there weren't any mainstream Dr.s who knew what the side effects were any more than you or I did. And of course, long-term effects remain an unknown.
Yes, but you're forgetting that this is the case with 100% of drugs. And foods, for that matter. If the entire US population eats a Maryland Crab, will some have a severe reaction and die?

You bet they will. So now you're in a logic trap, when you now understand that ALL drugs have side effects. IVM that you want researched----what's the data on side effects? Is it 100% safe? No. So tell me....since IVM isn't 100% safe with zero side effects....what do you want American researchers to do?

You're trying to hold these vaccines to a standard that doesn't exist. My mom can't take ibuprofen because it gives her severe stomach aches. Life on Earth.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am Couple that with capricious messaging, and even outright lies offered up by the medical establishment and so-called experts... then, throw on the politics of an already divided country. How is it a mystery the way things have unfolded?
Yes, but you blame the medical establishment, when that's not the problem.

Tech, for heaven's sake----what do you think would have happened if this had broken out during the Reagan era? You know EXACTLY what would have happened. We would have had an orderly, 90%+ vaccine rate, and everyone would have been grateful to get it. And the medical establishment would have been able to do things like talk about IVM treatments.

This is 2021. We're paying the price for the internet, and media outlets that get paid for clicks (outrage).

My farming network? They're not talking about side effects, my friend. They're talking about deep conspiracies, and that the virus isn't real, and is being used to control citizens.

And with all this going on, I have a 7 year old who can't take the vaccine. Hooray!
The trouble with new drugs

GettyImages-909288366
May 2, 2019
By Robert H. Shmerling, MD, Senior Faculty Editor, Harvard Health Publishing
When a drug is approved by the FDA, it may seem like it’s only a matter of time before some unexpected side effects are discovered. Perhaps it seems that way because it’s true! According to a study of all drugs approved between 2001 and 2010, the FDA announced alerts, warnings, or recalls on about one-third of them in the years after their approval.

Some of the side effects were minor and easily managed. For example, there might be a warning to avoid taking a new medication at the same time as another medication. But sometimes the “side effect” is death. And that’s the case with a new warning about the gout drug febuxostat.

An ancient disease, new treatments, new concerns

Gout can cause joint pain that’s excruciating and debilitating, but it is highly treatable and even preventable. In recent years, a number of new drugs have been approved, including febuxostat. Although it was approved in 2009, some of the early studies raised concerns that people who took febuxostat might have a higher rate of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks. As a result, the FDA required the drug’s maker to perform additional research after its approval.

The additional research confirmed that the safety concerns were justified: when compared with people taking allopurinol, an older gout drug, researchers observed a small but significant increase in the rates of cardiovascular death, and death from all causes, among people taking febuxostat. This led the FDA to issue a “black box warning” — the strongest action short of a recall — about the risks of taking this drug and how allopurinol should be tried first.

View COVID-19 Clinical Education Series: Clarifying Evidence-Based Information
If you’re taking febuxostat now, talk to your doctor about this new development and whether you should continue it, stop it, or switch to another treatment.

What’s a black box warning, anyway?

Depending on the level of concern, the FDA has several ways to communicate new warnings regarding the safety of an approved drug:

Medication guides. These are printed reports routinely provided to patients by pharmacists for certain medications, intended to reduce serious side effects.
Prescription drug labeling. This is the package insert that provides detailed information about an individual drug. These often contain a section for patients using nonmedical terminology, though most of the content is in “medicalese” and intended for health professionals.
Drug Safety Communications. These include Public Health Advisories and other updated drug safety alerts.
Boxed warning. Often called a black box warning, this information appears at the beginning of the package insert and is intended to call attention to serious or life-threatening side effects. That’s what was added to the package insert for febuxostat.
Drug recalls. Although they may come at the request of the FDA, most drug recalls come from drug makers as a voluntary action. They may be permanent or temporary, depending on the problem.
Drug withdrawals. Even more rarely, evidence comes to light that convinces the FDA that the risk of taking a drug is simply too high when compared to its potential benefits. In these cases, the drug’s approval is essentially reversed, and the FDA requires the drug be taken off the market.
(You can find out more about how the FDA monitors the drug approval and post-approval process here.)

Why does this happen so often?

As I was beginning to write this post, yet another alert was released by the FDA. This time it was for tofacitinib (Xeljanz), a medication approved in 2012 to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). A higher than expected rate of blood clots in the lungs and death was found among the drug’s users. Some important caveats are worth noting, though: the trial was required by the FDA; it enrolled people with RA who were 50 and older and had at least one cardiovascular risk factor; the dose was 20 mg/day, roughly twice the currently approved dose for RA. (However, this dose is approved for people with ulcerative colitis.)

Why aren’t more of these problems detected before drugs are approved?

There are a number of reasons, but the biggest one has to do with the difference between clinical trials required prior to a drug’s approval and real world usage. A trial may exclude people with heart disease, or who are elderly, or may include only men or only women — but once the drug is approved, men and women, people with heart disease, and older individuals may start taking the medication. New problems may emerge in this expanded group of people that weren’t detected before.

In addition, there’s a numbers issue. Clinical trials may include hundreds or even thousands of study subjects, but to detect a small risk it may take tens of thousands of individuals, or even more. For these reasons, post-marketing surveillance plays a major role in ensuring the safety of medications approved by the FDA.

While the high rates of alerts and warnings may make it seem like the FDA is doing a lousy job of making sure drugs are safe before approving them, there’s another way to look at this. The high rate of alerts and warnings could mean that the post-approval monitoring is working to detect previously underappreciated problems and to publicize them.

Here’s where you come in

If you develop a side effect from a medication you’re taking, let your doctor know. You may need to stop taking the drug to avoid more trouble. But you can also report your experience to the FDA’s MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program (here or at 800-332-1088). You could be helping to identify an important and previously unrecognized problem with the medication.

While new drugs can truly be lifesaving, sometimes the latest breakthrough drug turns out to be worse than older treatments or the disease itself. Despite the years of research required to get a drug approved, important risks can be missed. We have to rely on post-market surveillance to detect these risks. You can help.
The Pfizer clinicals included 70,000 individuals pre-EUA and 100s of millions since. They are not perfect but they have really done a much better than average job on the safety side of the equation. Even J&J has done a pretty good job, and are suffering because of third party incompetence and national politics. If J&J were the only vaccine on the market (after they cleaned up their manufacturing problem), I would take it in a heart beat.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:01 am Good to hear they will be studying this.

My wife experienced some odd side effects after the Pfizer. Heard a few anecdotal stories of others as well.

... interesting.
This is the reason many are leery of getting the shot. They're quickly labeled anti vaxers or conspiracy theorists but that's not necessarily the case at all. There are still a lot of unknowns here and time will tell whether there was anything to be concerned about or not, but as of right now we don't know that.
"leery" would apply to most of us who did get vaccinated.
Most of us weren't entirely unconcerned, much less apprehensive.

But we weighed the trade-offs, listened to the best available experts, and came to the conclusion, way back in December/January for some most at risk, that the trade off was obvious in favor of being vaccinated.

But it didn't mean we weren't "leery".

Those who are still stuck in that place, after mountains of further data and analysis, deserve the label "anti-vax". They may not be rabid conspiracy theorist nut jobs, but they're not adequately weighing the public health aspects in their equation, our responsibility to others.

I'm differentiating this from the very specific to the individual contraindications to the vaccine regimen; but the general person who refuses, not because their physician is telling them to not do it for reasons specific to them, is an impediment to our entire society being at full humming 'normal'.

I had a rough reaction to the second shot. It clearly caused a big immune response. I'm not looking forward to another such reaction with a third shot, plenty "leery". But on the other hand, I'm going to boost when told that's appropriate for my age/risk group.

I wish they had more refinement, more fine tuning, of who needs a boost and when, perhaps based on antibodies and mix of such applicable to variants, community spread of a new variant etc, but I realize they're running hard on getting the best answers they can in the timeframe they have. Won't be perfect.
DMac

Post by DMac »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:40 am

... interesting.
We aren't antivaxers art all. But if this becomes linked, even if its a harmless inconvenience, I could see people trying to have a baby having second thoughts or waiting.
You betchya....or even those with no intentions of having kids just wanting to wait to see how all the side effects and unknowns work out. Lotta volunteer guinea pigs out there working on that right now. No, am not an anti vaxer.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:40 am

... interesting.
... perfectly reasonable position. Early on pregnant women were a major hesitant cohort. Not so much now. Delta has also pushed pregnant women, being pregnant and having delta is much worse than alpha apparently.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Interesting who initiated the research.

To learn whether there is a connection between vaccination and changes in menstruation, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) recently released a notice of special interest for researchers to compare the menstruation experiences of vaccinated and unvaccinated people. NICHD will support research focused on menstruation before and after vaccination, how the vaccine affects menstruation, and the influence of other factors, such as stress, on these menstrual changes.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

My first grandchild was conceived just after the pandemic was first declared. Mother never got COVID, one of the first vaccinated, with 3 months to go. Baby and mother worked out just fine.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

... interesting.
I talked to a guy who works for me the other day who is 34 and hasn’t gotten a shot yet. I asked out of curiosity and he explained he felt like the science was still undetermined but he had no objection to the vaccine or concept of in general or over political grounds. I don’t know how I feel about sharing an office with him given I have two young children but mitigated in that he doesn’t go out much these days as I pay him a pretty low $5k/mo fixed and had been making it up with advisory work money until I fell off a cliff last spring so hes in miser mode riding it out for now. (Office is like 104sq Ft at $1465/mo - that’s how crazy pricing is at co-working places for a private office this one well funded and partly owned by a global CRE firm but not named WeWork)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 am

... interesting.
I talked to a guy who works for me the other day who is 34 and hasn’t gotten a shot yet. I asked out of curiosity and he explained he felt like the science was still undetermined but he had no objection to the vaccine or concept of in general or over political grounds. I don’t know how I feel about sharing an office with him given I have two young children but mitigated in that he doesn’t go out much these days as I pay him a pretty low $5k/mo fixed and had been making it up with advisory work money until I fell off a cliff last spring so hes in miser mode riding it out for now. (Office is like 104sq Ft at $1465/mo - that’s how crazy pricing is at co-working places for a private office this one well funded and partly owned by a global CRE firm but not named WeWork)
"undetermined"...
This why we need actual mandates. Access to interstate travel, restaurants, ball games, etc.

Folks like this simply need the cost/benefit ratio to themselves be more clearly incentivizing, as they're not weighing the public health aspects heavily enough on their own.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Love to c DocB bash this

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:47 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:08 am
a fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:52 am
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am a fan, perhaps that's a rhetorical question and you're somehow playing gothcha with rrr?
No, I was getting him to clarify his statement.

And as you saw, we found that his doctor told him not to get the vaccine because of his own personal risk profile.

And as Dis just said----no one, and I mean no one in America has a problem with that. I wish RRR the best of health, and completely understand why he wouldn't take the shot.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am Early on there weren't any mainstream Dr.s who knew what the side effects were any more than you or I did. And of course, long-term effects remain an unknown.
Yes, but you're forgetting that this is the case with 100% of drugs. And foods, for that matter. If the entire US population eats a Maryland Crab, will some have a severe reaction and die?

You bet they will. So now you're in a logic trap, when you now understand that ALL drugs have side effects. IVM that you want researched----what's the data on side effects? Is it 100% safe? No. So tell me....since IVM isn't 100% safe with zero side effects....what do you want American researchers to do?

You're trying to hold these vaccines to a standard that doesn't exist. My mom can't take ibuprofen because it gives her severe stomach aches. Life on Earth.
tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:44 am Couple that with capricious messaging, and even outright lies offered up by the medical establishment and so-called experts... then, throw on the politics of an already divided country. How is it a mystery the way things have unfolded?
Yes, but you blame the medical establishment, when that's not the problem.

Tech, for heaven's sake----what do you think would have happened if this had broken out during the Reagan era? You know EXACTLY what would have happened. We would have had an orderly, 90%+ vaccine rate, and everyone would have been grateful to get it. And the medical establishment would have been able to do things like talk about IVM treatments.

This is 2021. We're paying the price for the internet, and media outlets that get paid for clicks (outrage).

My farming network? They're not talking about side effects, my friend. They're talking about deep conspiracies, and that the virus isn't real, and is being used to control citizens.

And with all this going on, I have a 7 year old who can't take the vaccine. Hooray!
The trouble with new drugs

GettyImages-909288366
May 2, 2019
By Robert H. Shmerling, MD, Senior Faculty Editor, Harvard Health Publishing
When a drug is approved by the FDA, it may seem like it’s only a matter of time before some unexpected side effects are discovered. Perhaps it seems that way because it’s true! According to a study of all drugs approved between 2001 and 2010, the FDA announced alerts, warnings, or recalls on about one-third of them in the years after their approval.

Some of the side effects were minor and easily managed. For example, there might be a warning to avoid taking a new medication at the same time as another medication. But sometimes the “side effect” is death. And that’s the case with a new warning about the gout drug febuxostat.

An ancient disease, new treatments, new concerns

Gout can cause joint pain that’s excruciating and debilitating, but it is highly treatable and even preventable. In recent years, a number of new drugs have been approved, including febuxostat. Although it was approved in 2009, some of the early studies raised concerns that people who took febuxostat might have a higher rate of cardiovascular events such as heart attacks. As a result, the FDA required the drug’s maker to perform additional research after its approval.

The additional research confirmed that the safety concerns were justified: when compared with people taking allopurinol, an older gout drug, researchers observed a small but significant increase in the rates of cardiovascular death, and death from all causes, among people taking febuxostat. This led the FDA to issue a “black box warning” — the strongest action short of a recall — about the risks of taking this drug and how allopurinol should be tried first.

View COVID-19 Clinical Education Series: Clarifying Evidence-Based Information
If you’re taking febuxostat now, talk to your doctor about this new development and whether you should continue it, stop it, or switch to another treatment.

What’s a black box warning, anyway?

Depending on the level of concern, the FDA has several ways to communicate new warnings regarding the safety of an approved drug:

Medication guides. These are printed reports routinely provided to patients by pharmacists for certain medications, intended to reduce serious side effects.
Prescription drug labeling. This is the package insert that provides detailed information about an individual drug. These often contain a section for patients using nonmedical terminology, though most of the content is in “medicalese” and intended for health professionals.
Drug Safety Communications. These include Public Health Advisories and other updated drug safety alerts.
Boxed warning. Often called a black box warning, this information appears at the beginning of the package insert and is intended to call attention to serious or life-threatening side effects. That’s what was added to the package insert for febuxostat.
Drug recalls. Although they may come at the request of the FDA, most drug recalls come from drug makers as a voluntary action. They may be permanent or temporary, depending on the problem.
Drug withdrawals. Even more rarely, evidence comes to light that convinces the FDA that the risk of taking a drug is simply too high when compared to its potential benefits. In these cases, the drug’s approval is essentially reversed, and the FDA requires the drug be taken off the market.
(You can find out more about how the FDA monitors the drug approval and post-approval process here.)

Why does this happen so often?

As I was beginning to write this post, yet another alert was released by the FDA. This time it was for tofacitinib (Xeljanz), a medication approved in 2012 to treat rheumatoid arthritis (RA). A higher than expected rate of blood clots in the lungs and death was found among the drug’s users. Some important caveats are worth noting, though: the trial was required by the FDA; it enrolled people with RA who were 50 and older and had at least one cardiovascular risk factor; the dose was 20 mg/day, roughly twice the currently approved dose for RA. (However, this dose is approved for people with ulcerative colitis.)

Why aren’t more of these problems detected before drugs are approved?

There are a number of reasons, but the biggest one has to do with the difference between clinical trials required prior to a drug’s approval and real world usage. A trial may exclude people with heart disease, or who are elderly, or may include only men or only women — but once the drug is approved, men and women, people with heart disease, and older individuals may start taking the medication. New problems may emerge in this expanded group of people that weren’t detected before.

In addition, there’s a numbers issue. Clinical trials may include hundreds or even thousands of study subjects, but to detect a small risk it may take tens of thousands of individuals, or even more. For these reasons, post-marketing surveillance plays a major role in ensuring the safety of medications approved by the FDA.

While the high rates of alerts and warnings may make it seem like the FDA is doing a lousy job of making sure drugs are safe before approving them, there’s another way to look at this. The high rate of alerts and warnings could mean that the post-approval monitoring is working to detect previously underappreciated problems and to publicize them.

Here’s where you come in

If you develop a side effect from a medication you’re taking, let your doctor know. You may need to stop taking the drug to avoid more trouble. But you can also report your experience to the FDA’s MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program (here or at 800-332-1088). You could be helping to identify an important and previously unrecognized problem with the medication.

While new drugs can truly be lifesaving, sometimes the latest breakthrough drug turns out to be worse than older treatments or the disease itself. Despite the years of research required to get a drug approved, important risks can be missed. We have to rely on post-market surveillance to detect these risks. You can help.
The Pfizer clinicals included 70,000 individuals pre-EUA and 100s of millions since. They are not perfect but they have really done a much better than average job on the safety side of the equation. Even J&J has done a pretty good job, and are suffering because of third party incompetence and national politics. If J&J were the only vaccine on the market (after they cleaned up their manufacturing problem), I would take it in a heart beat.
I just recall studying FDA and CDC rates and decision making in an econometrics class many moons ago. It’s more interesting to think about the level for approval than a yes/no based on perfection. What are we willing to risk for the benefit.

Sadly AA has a 70% fail rate and the big book has been around since 1938 but we don’t have any meaningful competing parading because mental health is still not considered medical in nature (or we don’t care as Doughboy so eloquently once pointed out). They don’t iterate or look inward but the FDA and CDC does so I see the difference in social costs on health issues and approach quite directly and appreciate the very low fail/side affect rates of FDA approved drugs in context of the aforementioned mental health issue.

(The entire rehab industry which was $42Bn in 2020 and around $52Bn this year-a 20% increase!, is built around only one of four models of addiction known as the addiction as a disease model which takes away personal accountability but it’s the only one that ties back to medical the way we treat mental health in this country which has to change. I received not just pushback but almost vitriol from the staff at a decent place for seeking out understanding of my issues and trying to learn about the other models despite me paying a ton out of pocket for an out of network place, but thank god for one therapist who’d give me her time off hours so I learned about various other ones)
wgdsr

Re: The science is settled...

Post by wgdsr »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:22 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:17 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:05 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:52 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:40 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:50 am because we said so. Why do you fear finding facts? Facts..........fully vaccinated people are being hospilalized......oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtFapXG1zbo
... THIS IS COSMICALLY DUMB!! Of course fully vaccinated people are catching COVID and being hospitalized in some cases. SO WHAT? It was always going to be this way. Nearly every other vaccine we have ever developed has breakthroughs. It is pure statistics. You know how you tell when we have this thing under control, 90% of your cases in hospitals are fully vaccinated! The evidence is in, the experiment has been done, those fully vaccinated have a significantly smaller chance of being infected than the unvaccinated, same goes for hospitalization. :roll:

There is NO OOPS!
of course......so what .......

This is the messaging ? yikes.

and , once again, you are ignoring the covid survivors.......and their antibodies.....

redundent to call me dumb? Yet another personal attack.

More lists....let us know who is smart and knows everything. Enjoy the day, it started out with insulting someone.......let that continue.
I think I will kill myself, with all this worldwide love.
COVID survivors do gain a degree of immunity, 600,000 people have died in the US paying for your survivor immunity. More are paying every day. And COVID survivors are known to get re-infected, and in some cases end up in the hospital -- but this is not an OOPS, right. :roll:
Please, the average age of the dead is 75. And 80% were obese. ALL had medical issues. Had one foot out the door, anyway. This has been covered.

Do you think I choose to get covid?

Oh.....please provide the actual numbers of covid survivors that got reinfected, and in the hospital. Prove this statement to be true. No media links, just real scienctists.

See you next time.....as you won't.
1) Your average age of death argument doesn't truly represent the situation. Those under 70 have been producing the majority of cases for some time and the numbers show those in the the younger cohorts are dying at increased rates while those vaccinated and over 70 are less likely to be infected, hospitalized and die, today and as we move into the future the average age is moving lower.

2) You want a good study of the unvaccinated being re-infected, the best I have seen is a Danish study conducted in 2020 and publish in March 2021. Their results show unvaccinated people only have an ~80% protection against re-infection. The study also shows a re-infection rate of 5.6 per 100,000.

The US breakthrough rate varies widely from state to state. In high vaccination rate states, the number ranges from 5 to 10. It is much worse in states with low vaccination rates - it should be obvious why. The Danish study re-infection rate number is a lower limit based on factors they did not consider (like false negatives in PCR testing, COVID infections after wave 1 and prior to wave 2, and being a pre-delta study, all of this pushes their number higher). The real number is probably closer to 10. In any case there is insufficient analysis to claim one case produces a lower rate than the other.

3) There is more to immunity and fighting a virus than anti-bodies. You have to consider the two types of T cells and the B cells as well.

Danish Study.
the study did look at what the effect would be for false tests (negligible) and infections between waves ( shortening gap and also frequently tested healthcare workers). of course, not delta.
# per 100,000 wouldn't seem to be much of a comparison to me unless the timelines matched up. protection vs unvaxxed/uninfected would be.

reinfection for > 65's was <50% and that's obviously much worse.
have you seen breakthru protection yet broken down by age? and for delta?

i'm interested in how the wild numbers from israel study shakes out.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

... interesting.
Roughly 2% of people that catch a Covid case dies. That’s about 2 out of 100 people or 4.624 million dead people out of 224.279 million cases… if a person is “leery” thats what they should be “leery” of.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am

... interesting.

But we weighed the trade-offs, listened to the best available experts, and came to the conclusion, way back in December/January for some most at risk, that the trade off was obvious in favor of being vaccinated.

Those who are still stuck in that place, after mountains of further data and analysis, deserve the label "anti-vax". They may not be rabid conspiracy theorist nut jobs, but they're not adequately weighing the public health aspects in their equation, our responsibility to others.

I'm differentiating this from the very specific to the individual contraindications to the vaccine regimen; but the general person who refuses, not because their physician is telling them to not do it for reasons specific to them, is an impediment to our entire society being at full humming 'normal'.

I had a rough reaction to the second shot. It clearly caused a big immune response. I'm not looking forward to another such reaction with a third shot, plenty "leery". But on the other hand, I'm going to boost when told that's appropriate for my age/risk group.

I wish they had more refinement, more fine tuning, of who needs a boost and when, perhaps based on antibodies and mix of such applicable to variants, community spread of a new variant etc, but I realize they're running hard on getting the best answers they can in the timeframe they have. Won't be perfect.
If one could find my regional quote the day after I got shot
One from Pfizer I joked about my coming third nut. But that’s more about the prior administration near an election demonstrating that they’ll transfer risk to anyone and everyone, even risk of death, for a tiny inconsequential short term or victory and knowing they cut some corners on the normal process in 2020.

So I’m in agreement that folks didn’t walk in like lemmings to take the shot. I’m sure the coffee shop, DiBlasio faux intellectual crowd had a organic sparkling water party in line for the shot but that’s like 5-10% of the cohort, probably less than the percentage or weak or bad police and military folks in this country
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 amThis is the reason many are leery of getting the shot. They're quickly labeled
I talked to a guy who works for me the other day who is 34 and hasn’t gotten a shot yet. I asked out of curiosity and he explained he felt like the science was still undetermined but he had no objection to the vaccine or concept of in general or over political grounds.
The science is still undetermined about Covid itself. What happens if we find out there are long term health issues with getting even mild cases of Covid?

Example in my industry? The anosmia that so many talk about...loss of smell and taste.

In the spirits, beer, and wine industry---guess what happens if you either lose your sense of smell...or if it's permanently altered? Career, over.

I know two whiskey blenders that still don't haven't returned to their normal sense of smell a full year+ after getting Covid. Mid-six figure jobs, at the top of the industry.

Terrifying.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:51 am

... interesting.

It’s also as simple as if you refuse over political reasons and I can read through a bs argument then don’t come asking me for any help ever again because your choosing something that isnt even intellectually accuarate over my children’s safety.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:57 amThis is the reason many are leery of getting the shot. They're quickly labeled
I talked to a guy who works for me the other day who is 34 and hasn’t gotten a shot yet. I asked out of curiosity and he explained he felt like the science was still undetermined but he had no objection to the vaccine or concept of in general or over political grounds.
The science is still undetermined about Covid itself. What happens if we find out there are long term health issues with getting even mild cases of Covid?

Example in my industry? The anosmia that so many talk about...loss of smell and taste.

In the spirits, beer, and wine industry---guess what happens if you either lose your sense of smell...or if it's permanently altered? Career, over.

I know two whiskey blenders that still don't haven't returned to their normal sense of smell a full year+ after getting Covid. Mid-six figure jobs, at the top of the industry.

Terrifying.
I’m paraphrasing slightly think he said verbatim “figured I’d wait for all the high risk folks to get done and see how the rest of the science shakes out”. Let’s also understand I HAVE TWO SHOTS AS IVE STATED MANY TIMES BEFORE, this is what a quasi employee of mine who’s attached to my hip out of faith in me professionally and hanging in while I go through this crap (which ought to make me wonder if his judgement is sound enough for me to employ him for putting so much faith in my acumen...)

I’m sharing a story and one to point out this isn’t a trumper even if his parents live in Blairsville and Macon, he’s more like a young-ish 30s guy who thinks he’s enlightened. I went through the same stuff in my late 20s out of Bschool before the crisis, I think everyone is a bit of a sophomoric adult early on their own in many ways. I can tell you he is a good person and I’ve never heard him talk politics much and is a RINO type.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm

... interesting.
Roughly 2% of people that catch a Covid case dies. That’s about 2 out of 100 people or 4.624 million dead people out of 224.279 million cases… if a person is “leery” thats what they should be “leery” of.
don't test and your odds get much better.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 pm

... interesting.
"undetermined"...
This why we need actual mandates. Access to interstate travel, restaurants, ball games, etc.

Folks like this simply need the cost/benefit ratio to themselves be more clearly incentivizing, as they're not weighing the public health aspects heavily enough on their own.
He’s currently underpaid as I put my business on hiatus for three months, single, his father is a doctor who got jammed up and I work camp in his 60s because he wrote scripts for a longtime personal friend with serious back pain that wasn’t getting treated but when the feds came in because another in the system made a business about it and was the target they jammed him up as well to make a point about opiate prescriptions. He doesn’t have a lot of individual incentives but I know he cares about me and my family and isn’t out going to rock concerts and clubs 4 days a week. Hardly someone to crap on.0
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:05 pm

... interesting.
"undetermined"...

He’s currently underpaid as I put my business on hiatus for three months, single, his father is a doctor who got jammed up and I work camp in his 60s because he wrote scripts for a longtime personal friend with serious back pain that wasn’t getting treated but when the feds came in because another in the system made a business about it and was the target they jammed him up as well to make a point about opiate prescriptions. He doesn’t have a lot of individual incentives but I know he cares about me and my family and isn’t out going to rock concerts and clubs 4 days a week. Hardly someone to crap on.0
Not suggesting you "crap on" him, but it's indeed why the incentives, carrots and sticks, need to be higher to get guys like him across the line.

It's human nature not to weigh long term consequences or consequences to others relative to perceived short term costs/benefits. So, behavioral science says the equation needs to be changed.

In this case, he needs more reasons to get vaccinated, loss of access to things he'd otherwise want to be able to do. Still might not make that choice, but in aggregated way, that's how the needle will move.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 pm

... interesting.
don't test and your odds get much better.
1 out if 5,000 or so folks have “breakthrough”
Infection. That’s too high a rate. Why get vaccinated.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”